6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 75 days ago by Adipocere
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 months ago

With only a few days left in 2018, what's your prediction for the delivery of the 2019 Pingame Journal calendar? January, February or March?

#2 6 months ago

It is astounding to me that, somehow, the publisher of this magazine gets a pass. I do not see how what this publisher does is any different than what the stern pinball book kickstarter guy is doing.

Edit: If you were to have subscribed in 2012, you would just now be receiving your last “issue” of your “one year” subscription. And the term “issue” is apparently used loosely to also include calendars sent several months after the beginning of a year.

#3 6 months ago
    Quoted from rs812:

It is astounding to me that, somehow, the publisher of this magazine gets a pass. I do not see how what this publisher does is any different than what the stern pinball book kickstarter guy is doing.
    Edit: If you were to have subscribed in 2012, you would just now be receiving your last “issue” of your “one year” subscription. And the term “issue” is apparently used loosely to also include calendars sent several months after the beginning of a year.

#4 6 months ago

Yeah I don't get it either. I topped up my subscription in 2011 whilst at the PPE in California. It's still running now with some issues left!!

I'd happily pay on time each year, December 1st for just the calendar. Sadly it doesn't appear this is even possible.

Even just 2 magazines a year I'd happily stay a paid up subscriber. One with whatever Jim wants to include from his travels around the shows and whatever he receives from other contributors. Then a calendar delivered in December each year.

#5 6 months ago

I accidentally posted this in the Gameroon Magazine thread a few minutes ago:

“I chat with Jim every now and then, and he did say he’s trying to get an issue (plus the calendar) going right now.
    He mentioned the other day that he’d like to get all the info and pics for the story on my Alvin G & Co. Museum. Bob Herbison was here last Spring and did the write up, but I just haven’t had time to edit it yet. Hopefully soon though, and then Jim will have some more content to work with.”

#6 6 months ago

Looking forward to both of those. Surely with the time between each edition, the calendar can be done and mailed out on time.

#7 6 months ago

I asked about updates to my pingame Journal subscription a few years ago.

Pretty much I got the impression that I was a bad person for asking publicly in the past.. Jim has been sick with cancer previously and so he kind of gets a pass for not publishing regularly.
    The few shows I make it to annually..... I see him up front taking photos. I don't expect to see it published though. Don't get me wrong, I think Jim is a nice guy and I've talked to him a couple times.

At this point I'm happy when I get something in the mail but don't expect it. There will be people in here who will defend the situation .....but it is what it is.

3 weeks later
    #8 5 months ago

Anybody get a calendar yet?

#9 5 months ago

Whats a calendar?

#10 5 months ago

No, nothing yet. Website is still advertising the 2018 calendar.

1 month later
    #11 4 months ago

Looks like the calendar is done and shipping now, anyone got there's yet? Shame it's always late, year after year.

#12 4 months ago

Another reason I'm letting my subscription run out.

John

#13 4 months ago

Let mine run out years ago, very happy I did.

#14 4 months ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Looks like the calendar is done and shipping now, anyone got there's yet? Shame it's always late, year after year.

I'm thinking about emailing them since my subscription hasn't run out yet.

#15 4 months ago

March 4, and still no calendar. *sigh*

#16 4 months ago

I wish they would just nix the calendar. It’s always late and I don’t need two calendars since I’ve already purchase one every year before this one ever arrives.

#17 4 months ago

Mine's on the way! Supposedly!!

#18 4 months ago

Mine will probably take several more years of getting just a calendar before my subscription actually runs out. I always hated the calendar "issue" and considered it a waste, I can get a calendar anyplace and usually for free. I wont renew the subscription unless someone else takes over the entire operation that can do it justice.

John

#19 4 months ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I can get a calendar anyplace and usually for free.

True, but a pinball calendar is unique and supportive of our hobby.

#20 4 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

True, but a pinball calendar is unique

That's kind of the problem. It's a collectable-like thing that I'm not willing to actually write on and use a a calendar. It's worth about ten minutes of entertainment looking at pictures. Then it goes in a box never to be seen again. It's not even close to the value of a real magazine issue.

#21 4 months ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

That's kind of the problem. It's a collectable-like thing that I'm not willing to actually write on and use a a calendar. It's worth about ten minutes of entertainment looking at pictures. Then it goes in a box never to be seen again. It's not even close to the value of a real magazine issue.

Thank you!!

John

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

It's a collectable-like thing that I'm not willing to actually write on and use a a calendar.

Why not? It's not that collectible, won't go up in value. Put in a box for what? If you don't want your calendar, send it to me!!

2 weeks later
    #23 3 months ago

Received my 2019 calendar yesterday, March 22, 2019. Supposedly mailed from Plymouth, Michigan. So, less than 15 miles away.

#24 3 months ago

Got my 2019 calendar too in the past week or so.

#25 3 months ago

Had mine about two weeks now

#26 3 months ago

PGJ sighting at Texas Pinball Festival, guess he has time to travel but not to produce magazines.

#27 3 months ago

It's nearly the 4th month of the year and no calendar for me. Glad to hear some have received theirs. It absolutely no sense at all for this to be late EVERY year.

#28 3 months ago

I've been away from home and had my mail on hold. Maybe I'll have something extra when I pick up my mail!!
    This calendar should run until March 2020 to make up.

1 week later
    #29 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

This calendar should run until March 2020 to make up.

Unfortunately not. Mine arrived today, 4 months into the year. No extra months provided, no valid reason given for the delay. This publication has become pathetic.

#30 3 months ago

He mentioned in the front of the calendar that there were a few big shows that didn't give their dates yet. He wanted to hold off until he go them to print the calendar up. Makes sense but sucks a 3rd of the year is gone.

#31 3 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

He mentioned in the front of the calendar that there were a few big shows that didn't give their dates yet. He wanted to hold off until he go them to print the calendar up. Makes sense but sucks a 3rd of the year is gone.

Personally I don't consider this a valid reason, in fact he admits so in that same passage you are referring to. It's a calendar, we can fill in our own show notes etc as they are announced. Pathetic publication that the author obviously lost interest in years ago.

#32 3 months ago

I know I'm done with it unless someone else takes it over again like in the past, they were coming in so fast I couldn't read them fast enough....and I was fine with that. But as of now I'm out since my subscription is finally over with.

John

4 weeks later
    #33 76 days ago

I subscribed to PGJ about a month ago and even paid a little extra for the calendar issue. It seems Paypal was happy to take my money but I've never heard any kind of confirmation from PGJ. I've emailed them, called them, and nothing. Reading the comments above, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I used to subscribe back in the mid 2000s and enjoyed all the extras (plastics, fliers, etc) that they used to include.

The site looks exactly the same as it did back then (and it was dated then as well), and a lot of the information is outdated. Some of the listed email addresses for customer service are permanently dead.

#34 76 days ago
    Quoted from Adipocere:

Reading the comments above, I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

No "mistake" about it, your receiving a outdated calendar for the next ten years.

John

#35 76 days ago

I'm sorry to say that flyers and other promotional items haven't been included in a long while.

#36 75 days ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

I'm sorry to say that flyers and other promotional items haven't been included in a long while.

Oh I figured as much. I recently returned to the hobby after letting a broken TZ gather dust for almost a decade and thought it would be nice to resubscribe. I guess on the bright side, pinball itself is in a WAY better position than it was back then, even if the magazine has suffered.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside