(Topic ID: 69248)

Pinflation isn't the problem. This is...

By Leeb18509

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinwizkid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

LAZY SELLERS!

With all the talk about price policing, FS threads, etc. it occured to me that pinflation isn't the problem. It's the complete laziness of any given seller to even BOTHER to wipe down a pin, let alone perform a decent shop job on it prior to advertising it for a premium price. "I want TOP dollar for doing almost nothing!" And newer pinheads are biting time and time again... It seems to me in the "old" days, a pin actually had to be clean to at least command top dolllar. Not these days. You just buy some junk, preferably in bulk, play it for awhile and then list it on pinside for what other pins have sold for. Other pins that someone actually cared about out.

Pinflation is fine, even great! You buy something nice, play it for awhile and somewhere down the line it's worth more than what you paid. Terrific! There's almost no other hobby that happens. Whether it's boats, cars, RV's, anything. You play, you lost money. You paid to play. (Note to self: buy more guns) You gotta LOVE pinball! But, damn. These guys that keep listing these pins for premium almost Ebay money and you're staring at dirty mylar and ball trails, well they piss me off. Because they're lazy. Put the work in, shop your pin correctly, then come onto pinside with your ridiculous asking prices. At the very least, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment in the shop job.

Just FYI, anything you buy from me will be as clean and functional as it can be. Or at least as advertised. Car, lawn mower, vacuum, pin, anything. I sell a lot of goofy crap on the local classifieds and it's on point. Guaranteed.

Discuss...

#2 10 years ago

Half these guys you probably wouldn't want taking your pin apart and putting it back together...

#3 10 years ago

nope. its still on the buyers.

#4 10 years ago

ok, i get it now... spend a few hours cleaning it, and then you are justified in asking a ridiculous price...

#5 10 years ago

overeager buyers, says i.

I know guys that shop out games even if they buy them shopped. They'd rather get an unshopped vs. shopped price.

#6 10 years ago

complete shop job on my FS twilight zone. led's, took it down to the play field, new reinforced target at scoop, new clock board, new pinball wizard board, and it can be all yours or anyones for $5,800 (or less). not guilty here! it looks so nice!

#7 10 years ago

I actually hate when somebody jacks up the price on their version of a "shop" job. Leave it alone, because I'm not paying you more for cleaning it, leave it the way it is please.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah but the problem is they are buying an "Unshopped" pin for a "Shopped Out" price.....Over-Eager Beavers...

Quoted from davewtf:

They'd rather get an unshopped vs. shopped price

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

overeager buyers, says i.
    I know guys that shop out games even if they buy them shopped. They'd rather get an unshopped vs. shopped price.

I bet my whore bath is more through than what most call a shop job! Seriously. even my quick and sloppy jobs are better than most I bet. Give me the discount price any day, unless it is done right!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

I bet my whore bath is more through than what most call a shop job! Seriously. even my quick and sloppy jobs are better than most I bet. Give me the discount price any day, unless it is done right!

I agree, I am very particular with my machines so I would rather do the job myself. I love shopping / fixing things so whenever I get a machine, I do a complete shop job. That means removing everything from the playfield...everything. This allows to me replace any broken or worn parts as well as keep things clean longer, no cramp underneath making things dirty.

#11 10 years ago

I think its a good idea to "shop" a pin (clean & wax the playfield, new rubber, make sure there's no credit dots or other issues) before you sell it, but I don't think it commands much of a price difference, it's just a nice thing to do for the buyer and it might help you sell it faster.

Now, if you're talking about full flipper, sling, bumper rebuilds, cleaning all the ramps and hardware, etc. then okay maybe it's worth a little more, but it's got to be done right.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I think its a good idea to "shop" a pin (clean & wax the playfield, new rubber, make sure there's no credit dots or other issues) before you sell it, but I don't think it commands much of a price difference, it's just a nice thing to do for the buyer and it might help you sell it faster.
    Now, if you're talking about full flipper, sling, bumper rebuilds, cleaning all the ramps and hardware, etc. then okay maybe it's worth a little more, but it's got to be done right.

Whore bath includes cleaning both sides of ramps taking apart flippers, replacing sleeves, scrubbing down every part of the play field. My idea of a full out shop includes scrubbing every part, replacing what you can, LEDs (I love LEDs), new plastics if available etc. My whore bath on TSPP last weekend took about 15 hours alone. I expect to do it again in a few months right. What I skipped was scrubbing each toy in the sink, LEDs (need to buy more from Cointaker), and I left the new plastic set off (on purpose since no LEDs yet and I plan a more in depth cleaning). What I did was take everything off the top, scrubbed the ramps, cleaned cleaned cleaned tons of stuff (wiped down the toys), wax, rubbers coil sleeves. I may be a bit nuts though!

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

"I want TOP dollar for doing almost nothing!"

Show me a single seller of any product, anywhere in the world, that doesn't want to maximize their profit from a sale.

Quoted from Leeb18509:

And newer pinheads are biting time and time again...

Inside of the problem statement might be the answer. The market settles at what people are willing to pay.

Quoted from Leeb18509:

These guys that keep listing these pins for premium almost Ebay money and you're staring at dirty mylar and ball trails, well they piss me off. Because they're lazy. Put the work in, shop your pin correctly, then come onto pinside with your ridiculous asking prices. At the very least, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment in the shop job.

You gotta understand, those people aren't in it for the joy of the hobby. They are in it to make money. If people stop giving them money, these types of sellers go away.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Show me a single seller of any product, anywhere in the world, that doesn't want to maximize their profit from a sale.Inside of the problem statement might be the answer. The market settles at what people are willing to pay.You gotta understand, those people aren't in it for the joy of the hobby. They are in it to make money. If people stop giving them money, these types of sellers go away.

Well said

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Show me a single seller of any product, anywhere in the world, that doesn't want to maximize their profit from a sale.

Actually there are quite a few in this hobby. Certainly not "most" but some. I know one that is happy to see both parties happy in a deal even if it means he's losing a few bucks. He cares more about making connections and having fun then a few extra $$.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

ok, i get it now... spend a few hours cleaning it, and then you are justified in asking a ridiculous price...

Are you a communist? Anyone can ask for any price they want. It's called freedom. you make no sense.

#17 10 years ago

I think we can pretty safely sum it up...and it's been said here before...

There is no "blame" anywhere. People can ask what they want and people can buy what they want. End of story.

If someone wants to sell a barn find unshopped POS and ask 10x what it's worth, that's their choice.
    If someone wants to take that machine, put a few hours into shopping it and ask "market" value, that's their choice.

Nobody is holding a gun to the seller's head. And if either one sells, nobody is holding a buyer's children hostage to force them to spend the money.

We each have choices.

#18 10 years ago

+1 for the above

#19 10 years ago

I've been low-balled many times, despite all of the mods included in the pins that I sell. Mirror blades, leds, flipper rebuilds, upgraded speakers, etc seem to carry little value. I try to price market value too, but people don't seem interested in market value if it isn't a top 10. Can't complain as it is a free market system.

#20 10 years ago

^^^

if you are the type who adds up everything they spent on "mods" and then adds that to the price, then no, you aren't pricing at "market value"...

flipper rebuilds aren't "mods"...

#21 10 years ago

While this post is kind of redundant, why 4 thumbs down?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

flipper rebuilds aren't "mods"...

Flippers rebuilt to me just means the pops and other mechs are worn out and also need to be rebuilt.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Flippers rebuilt to me just means the pops and other mechs are worn out and also need to be rebuilt.

This is really no different than buying a used car, comparing one that has newer tires. It's one item that won't have to be replaced soon. It may not be a mod but does it have value? yes.

#24 10 years ago

Totally agree with this thread. Although, I would add "greedy" to the adjectives. Not lazy, just greedy.

Also, I tend to think that the people who buy pins just to put in some average work and then sell them for way over price are even worse, in my opinion.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

yup... agreed...

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Actually there are quite a few in this hobby. Certainly not "most" but some.

I have only ever lost money selling pins. I am not trying to maximize (or even create) profits, but I do like forging enduring relationships with other collectors. Money is not the only good one might receive from selling. There are other satisfactions.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This is really no different than buying a used car, comparing one that has newer tires. It's one item that won't have to be replaced soon. It may not be a mod but does it have value? yes.

Yes, 25 bucks 50 if it is a Stern.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Actually there are quite a few in this hobby. Certainly not "most" but some. I know one that is happy to see both parties happy in a deal even if it means he's losing a few bucks. He cares more about making connections and having fun then a few extra $$.

I get it, I'm one of them (I think). I've sold a couple of machines that people gave me grief over for selling them below what they thought I could get for them, but I still had that internal struggle that said "you missed out on cash you could have used on other machines".

Point being it was a conscious decision to forgo some extra profit for "social equity". In my mind, I decided that X amount of social equity was worth giving up Y amount of cash. Still maximizing my value in the transaction, just with two different types of currency.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Still maximizing my value in the transaction, just with two different types of currency.

Exactly.

#30 10 years ago

Love this thread. I have been feeling this way for a while now...

Gonna ask top dollar for a pin? Offer a top dollar pin. Simple.

Gonna ask top dollar anyway? Be flexible on the price. Or maybe offer to get in your car and deliver it - something that shows you give a damn about the buyer. Seems like nobody is willing to play ball anymore.

It's almost as if some sellers expect you to take them out to lunch and give them a back rub because they have graced you with the wonderful, joyous opportunity to buy their pinball machine. That's not to say I still don't meet some great, reasonable folks nowadays, but the table definitely seems slanted (no pun intended).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinflation-isnt-the-problem-this-is and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.