2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wyopinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hello,

I'm planning to attend my first Pinfest in Allentown this year. Playing Pinball Arcade got me into playing real machines recently for the first time since college (which was longer ago than I care to admit to myself). I'm pretty excited to play some I've never even seen before in person.

I also have the itch to own my first machine. I've tried to research past Pinfests and it looks like it can be a lot to take in for a first timer. Any advice on how to approach buy a machine at Pinfest? Is it better to go on Friday or Saturday? Are prices generally negotiable? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Friday for selection and Saturday for haggling. Tons of knowledgeable people will be there that can help you not get ripped off.

#3 2 years ago

Check the Market here on pinside. What machines are you looking for? I am looking forward to Pinfest too.

#4 2 years ago

Bring cash, and enough of it to buy what you think you are looking for. The worst is when you are selling a game at a show and some newbie starts trying to work it out on PayPal. Ain't nobody got time for that at a show.

Earlier you come the better for selection. By the same token, you'll find some deals by the end of the show if you aren't too picky, as some people will be motivated to sell. You really can't expect any great bargains beyond some EMs and since no newbies are looking for EMs I doubt that's gonna help you.

Don't be afraid to come home empty handed and don't expect to find tons of top titles at great prices. Allentown hasn't really been much of a buyer's market for a while, and you'll be very disappointed if you are expecting to play all of your "pinball arcade" titles in real life.

Lastly if you DO see that magic title you can't live without at anywhere near a good price, buy it and don't get cute with the haggling. It won't last. As I said, not exactly a buyer's market these days.

#5 2 years ago

I actually am leaning toward an EM. There are some really addictive ones. There are some '90s machines I like too but I'm a little hesitant about my ability to repair them when they break. Thanks.

#6 2 years ago

Well Saturday is certainly em bargain day. You should be able to find a decent machine for $400-700, with fair selection. It is a good show for that.

#7 2 years ago

Never been, so the only advice I have for you is that it's spelled "newb" as in "newbie." "Noob" is also in common use.

"Nube" looks like a cross between "nude" and "pube" and while it is hilarious, it is incorrect.

(And if "noob" looks like "boob" that is okay since that already can mean incompetent. )

#8 2 years ago

Arrive hungry. The chow at the market across the street is one of the best parts of the show.

#9 2 years ago

A piece of advice I would give after experiencing Allentown for the first time myself last year is to not be afraid to speak up... With the in demand machines if I didn't speak up I may never had gotten the chance to play them.

A lot of people must just be oblivious or they feel they have a god given right to stand at a machine and keep playing it until they deem they are done playing regardless of the queue of people waiting patiently behind them.

A friendly 'I've got next' or 'would you mind adding a second player' will get you a long way. It may also get you a dirty look or two . If you aren't too picky about what you play this isn't really a problem because there is a sea of games to choose from.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

A piece of advice I would give after experiencing Allentown for the first time myself last year is to not be afraid to speak up...

Talk to people, I'll second that for sure.

For the most part, pinball people are pretty easy going. Sure, there'll be a few idiots who have no idea how to behave in social situations, but that comes with any hobby where grown men play with expensive toys! The best ice breaker is to ask to start a multi-player game with a stranger. In conversation, ask people what they've played so far: there may be a game a few rows over you've skipped/ignored that's worth a look. Or one that's super rare that the opportunity to play one may not arise again.

The market advice here is spot on, too: plenty of people looking to add games, and plenty more (like you) looking to get into the hobby with their first. If you see a game you want, and its at a price you can afford, act! Excessive tire kicking or walking away to mull over may hurt your chances of buying. Friday is the best day for selection. Saturday may see some deals at the end of the show, but they'll be hidden amongst the junk that people brought to put on the floor to get free admission and now don't want to bring home! There will be a few "retailers" in spaces near free play area with a few games set up for sale. In my experience, prices of these games will reflect the fact that they are retailers.

Good luck...hope to see you there!

#11 2 years ago

Also, some information can be gleaned from this year's "official" Allentown thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2017-allentown

#12 2 years ago

The last day has the best deals. They don't want to pack it up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 95.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 27.99
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside