(Topic ID: 314996)

Pinfest 2023 - buy, sell, trade, want (no hotel talk)

By shlockdoc

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7048 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8681 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8679 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8680 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8678 (resized).jpeg
    ADD7B557-E608-4429-BA0A-32259648311A (resized).jpeg
    0192DA03-D72A-4E57-B263-900E8DCE635A (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230517_200419_eBay (resized).jpg
    89672125-E4F6-460A-BC41-79930FEA938C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2633 (resized).jpeg
    723BA0A6-D420-47C9-A79B-20CF2834A0E2 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230510-074036.png
    6F27FFCC-3B45-4A02-8C25-C2D8CF1BA1B4 (resized).jpeg
    EAC6558C-087C-49A7-995B-B94717922903 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,850 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 57.
    #2551 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't really speak whatever this language is but I'm pretty sure nobody waited 5 hours to get into pinfest this year.

I was just saying last year I went at 1pm and walked right in this year I was there at the same time and the line up was around the building still so I came back at 3 and it wasn't any better so I came back Sat instead

#2552 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The game next to par Golf was a Grand Products Bullseye 301.
    It was pretty rare and unique too.
    Glad that it went to someone that will enjoy it.

#2553 1 year ago

Great show this year and lots of pins too play and too pick from for buying

#2554 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't really speak whatever this language is but I'm pretty sure nobody waited 5 hours to get into pinfest this year.

Its like the people over on Facebook claiming there were people charging to play their games. Were we at the same show?

#2555 1 year ago
    Quoted from BZarrCaptain:

I sell model trains at shows at the same venue. They offer online tickets and early admission. Of course, the intent of the early admission is for interested BUYERS to get in early, not for people who just want to browse and look for freebies.
    Either way, the advance sales do nothing to keep the lines down.
    The issue is the venue wasn’t designed for an onslaught of people like we saw over the weekend. The door, lobby, and ticketing area create lines. With presale tickets there’s always confusion and a bottle neck at the doors anyway. I’ve seen it a dozen times. How long did you have to wait in line? 20 minutes? Most people wait in line 2 hours to get on a 3 minute ride at an amusement park, but complain about a 20-30 minute wait to pay $20 for 8 hours of free pinball.

Just gotta think a little outside that box. The venue has more than one door. The front door can be used for walk up admission and one of the other doors can be designated for paid-in-advance admission. Just that one little change would cut down on the line(s).

#2556 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

I was just saying last year I went at 1pm and walked right in this year I was there at the same time and the line up was around the building still so I came back at 3 and it wasn't any better so I came back Sat instead

I'm not complaining because as someone just said, I'm used to waiting in much longer lines for much shorter events. But I expected this year to be more like last year line-wise, and it wasn't. I'm not sure what was different - there were fewer people last year, to be sure. But as I recall, they started selling tickets/wristbands around 11 or slightly later. That meant that everyone that had a ticket could just go in or at least queue up in a separate line.

Whatever. I love that show and will continue going no matter how they handle the ticketing. Great job, Ivan and team!

#2557 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not sure what was different - there were fewer people last year, to be sure.

It was absolutely packed with games, vendors and attendees this year

#2558 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not complaining because as someone just said, I'm used to waiting in much longer lines for much shorter events. But I expected this year to be more like last year line-wise, and it wasn't. I'm not sure what was different - there were fewer people last year, to be sure. But as I recall, they started selling tickets/wristbands around 11 or slightly later. That meant that everyone that had a ticket could just go in or at least queue up in a separate line.
    Whatever. I love that show and will continue going no matter how they handle the ticketing. Great job, Ivan and team!

My guess...weather.

I think more people will not only come out on a nice day, but will be willing to stand in line on a nice day. Not a lot of folks would want to stand in a long line in the rain.

#2559 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I played this one a few times. I was surprised that its was open the few times I walked by it. It was a really cool game to see and play.

#2560 1 year ago

It was a two beer long line.
    or was it three? I don't remember.

#2561 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adrift:

My guess...weather.
    I think more people will not only come out on a nice day, but will be willing to stand in line on a nice day. Not a lot of folks would want to stand in a long line in the rain.

Typically rain drives more people to the show. This time of year, a beautiful spring day has some folks choosing to take time to do all their spring housework and whatnot over killing a nice day inside. I think the big drivers this year were a combo of Covid finally being in the rearview for the most part, a primetime TV spot on the local news, a deluge of new games hitting the market, and the general increase in popularity in the hobby. The crowd seemed to be more skewed toward playing than buying, which is just fine.

The previous two years did not have nearly as many new hyped up games in the dealer booths due to lack of new titles and a tight supply. Seeing folks run from the front door to go get in line for Pulp Fiction was a sight to see this year. They certainly were not doing that to play Thunderbirds a couple years ago

#2562 1 year ago

Of note... the last 3 shows I've gone to at least one of my pins was bought by a first time pin buyer. More and more people are getting into the hobby.

#2563 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

The rivet press got some use from some greatful pinheads and I hope to offer that again next year.

Thanks so much for bringing it - My Funhouse restoration finally coming together!

#2564 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Of note... the last 3 shows I've gone to at least one of my pins was bought by a first time pin buyer. More and more people are getting into the hobby.

The game I sold this year went to a first time buyer. Games I've sold at prior shows pretty much all went to other collectors.

#2565 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The game I sold this year went to a first time buyer. Games I've sold at prior shows pretty much all went to other collectors.

Cool. Tell him I’ll give him another hundred bucks for it, or he can give me cash and that game for something better in a month.

#2566 1 year ago

My game also went to a 1st time buyer. Explained the intricacies of the game to him and assembled a folder including a manual, schematics and electronic and book excerpts on the game. Hopefully the pinball fever gets passed on.

The process for bringing a free play game was exceptional. Staff and other pinball people were so helpful. It was a very warm, happy tribe in Allentown this past weekend.

#2567 1 year ago

I had the best time I've ever had this year. This was my first time doing a flea market spot here (Have done lots of car ones) and was great to meet and talk to friends and make new ones. I didn't get to play many games but that's ok as I wasn't worried about that. Walked around and saw how busy things were all days and times. I brought my gas mask but never needed it. Someone bought it at our flea market spot! Great hanging out with Gerry, Joe, Big Deal Dave, embryonjohn Colsond3 Flowst and the great and wonderful beelzeboob and the rest!

Ivan and his team were great. Thanks to all the people, vendors, flea market'ers, and those who come. My only regret is that it's over. I'm still tired!

#2568 1 year ago

I forgot to thank Don from MD pinsider DSKPin who bought my Tri Zone. Super easy pinsider to deal with! Enjoy Don!

#2569 1 year ago

I lost out getting a XL TS in yellow if anyone has one they don't need pm me thanks

#2570 1 year ago

Merch is SOOOO tough. The last thing you want to do is get stuck with unsold inventory you have to drag around and store or fire sale away (which pisses off full $ buyers).

I'm sure Ivan was thrilled they sold out on Friday, but also wished he could sell more.

It's yet more work to do not sure if it's feasible, but maybe a pre-sell for full payment for shirts next year could help make sure everybody who wants one gets one.

#2571 1 year ago
    Quoted from per3per3:

Posting again to see if anyone can help me ID who was selling the lit playfield wall hangers for WOZ and Hobbit. His area was against the back wall near the tourney area. I've got a buddy looking to buy his lit WOZ playfield and need to know how to reach him.
    Thanks!

Here is a floorplan of the vendors: https://www.pinfestival.com/AghalllayoutPinball2023.pdf

#2572 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Merch is SOOOO tough. The last thing you want to do is get stuck with unsold inventory you have to drag around and store or fire sale away (which pisses off full $ buyers).
    I'm sure Ivan was thrilled they sold out on Friday, but also wished he could sell more.
    It's yet more work to do not sure if it's feasible, but maybe a pre-sell for full payment for shirts next year could help make sure everybody who wants one gets one.

This is what I did. I pre-ordered mine because i know sometimes they don't have many big guy sizes.

Chris

#2573 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

I lost out getting a XL TS in yellow if anyone has one they don't need pm me thanks

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

This is what I did. I pre-ordered mine because i know sometimes they don't have many big guy sizes.
    Chris

While I know it isn't "ideal", since the artwork is done and everything is/was set-up, would it be out of the question to...for example...open a 30-day window for shirt orders for those who couldn't get one either in advance or at the show? Seems like an easy way to get more Pinfest merch out where it can be seen.

#2574 1 year ago

To all that replied to my post I appreciate it. I have been in touch with the seller! Great show this year!

#2575 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

One of my buddies was looking for a Capt Card at the show and was willing to spend up to $2000 for one. If your friend ever decides to sell it, let me know.

Nope not for sale there Chief

#2576 1 year ago

I filmed a 80 minute live video of the entire show here! https://youtube.com/live/WPwdrK5zHWw?feature=share Todd

#2577 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lines suck but it's overblown. The worst complaint I heard was "we waited 40 minutes" so if you figure in the hyperbole factor, it was probably 30. Yeah it sucks and I wouldn't be happy but Its not really a HUGE deal.

It’s not overblown, the line waiting to buy tickets was ridiculous.

A Gentlemen waiting in line, fell down hit his head and required an ambulance

#2578 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Its like the people over on Facebook claiming there were people charging to play their games. Were we at the same show?

I think one vendor was charging, I forget which one.

Great show! Only disappointment was my Disco Fever kept resetting. Felt terrible bringing a game that didn't work properly. Guessing it didn't like the building's overloaded power. Can't get it to reset now that it's home. Figure I'll bring a UPS to future shows just in case. It should smooth out the power going to the game and act as a big capacitor. Anybody else ever try that? Wonder if can help with week em flippers also?

#2579 1 year ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Great show! Only disappointment was my Disco Fever kept resetting. Felt terrible bringing a game that didn't work properly. Guessing it didn't like the building's overloaded power. Can't get it to reset now that it's home. Figure I'll bring a UPS to future shows just in case. It should smooth out the power going to the game and act as a big capacitor. Anybody else ever try that? Wonder if can help with week em flippers also?

All my dmd machines are on a ups. I don't know if it actually helps with performance but I like knowing I can shut it down myself during brown outs or major power failure. Piece of mind I guess.
    -Mike

#2580 1 year ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Definitely was a vendor charging pretty close to the entry doors. They did offer to put free credits on the GNR machine for me when I went up to it though so that was nice of them.

#2581 1 year ago

I have "no dog in the race" at this point in my life and wasn't at the show this year but it sounds like the show has "maxed out" available inside space so maybe it is time to think about what the show had years ago again. Maybe it is time to fence off an area in the parking lot and add a decent size outdoor flea market area again / reduce size of indoor flea market and either add more freeplay area or regular vendor spaces in part of the indoor flea market area.

I know that solution is far from ideal with the typical weather at the Allentown Show but it sounds like Ivan is basically completely out of space inside.

If that was done "creatively" they could sell tickets an hour earlier sending people to the outdoor flea market area until doors opened for the show. So instead of waiting in line to buy tickets you walk up and buy tickets an hour or two before the show opens and can walk around the outdoor flea market while waiting to get into the show. Then let those people in a little ahead of time once it is time to open the show for ticket sales.

Just a thought that might drive more people to want to chance setting up outside & also give people waiting to get into the show something to do while waiting? Maybe something like this would be "food for thought" or spark a better suggestion from someone else.

I remember the first couple times I went to the show they had just the smaller hall and that big outdoor flea market and I thought that was great.

One other thing that could be done with an outdoor flea market area is to have a section set up for people wanting to sell one or two project games and not wanting to rent a full flea market space. Something like a 1/4 or 1/2 space deal with weekend ticket and small outdoor space for say $60 or $75 for the weekend. That would give people the "two day pass" and also give more people incentive to bring something to sell that wasn't good for freeplay. Just think of how cool that might work out. People wanting to get in early could buy one of those spaces toss something out cheap and then once they sell that item have basically a weekend pass to the show. That would also get more people shopping that outdoor flea market early hoping to score a cheap project deal.

#2582 1 year ago

I tried to buy a shirt on Thursday. NOPE - gotta inventory and fold.
    I tried to buy a shirt first thing on Friday. NOPE - gotta give out the pre-sales first.
    Then they let the $20 ticket buyers in early, and there was a rush at shirt booth.
    I waited for my turn and was able to get my shirt finally, before they sold out.
    I heard many people ask if someone wanted to sell their shirt on Saturday...

Hey, I could buy a bunch of shirts early on friday and resell them (Flip) on saturday and make a profit...Right?

#2583 1 year ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

Definitely was a vendor charging pretty close to the entry doors. They did offer to put free credits on the GNR machine for me when I went up to it though so that was nice of them.

Just to be clear!
    The machines directly in front of the entry doors were all Set to Free Play except The guns and Rose CE ($15,000+ game) which as you stated Credits were added if asked to play it.
    All the machines were for sale and it was a vendor spot not the free play area.
    The games were from Glenside Machine shop a private collection.
    There may have been another vendor charging to play but if in a vendor spot that would be their choice.
    Are you sure it was not the pay to play charity Game.

#2584 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

I tried to buy a shirt on Thursday. NOPE - gotta inventory and fold.
    I tried to buy a shirt first thing on Friday. NOPE - gotta give out the pre-sales first.
    Then they let the $20 ticket buyers in early, and there was a rush at shirt booth.
    I waited for my turn and was able to get my shirt finally, before they sold out.

This same scenerio played out for me .
    Luckily I got the last two extra Large one blk one Green.

#2585 1 year ago

Wonder the Flipper Pool in the vendor area sold. Repaint was exemplary

#2586 1 year ago
    Quoted from freddy:

Just to be clear!
    The machines directly in front of the entry doors were all Set to Free Play except The guns and Rose CE ($15,000+ game) which as you stated Credits were added if asked to play it.
    All the machines were for sale and it was a vendor spot not the free play area.
    The games were from Glenside Machine shop a private collection.
    There may have been another vendor charging to play but if in a vendor spot that would be their choice.
    Are you sure it was not the pay to play charity Game.

No qualms with me. Vendors can do whatever they want with their space. I was just commenting that was the one machine I saw that was charging and yes, credits were added when I went up to it so I’m assuming that was common too.

#2587 1 year ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

No qualms with me. Vendors can do whatever they want with their space. I was just commenting that was the one machine I saw that had a bill acceptor and yes, credits were added when I went up to it so I’m assuming that was common too.

There was no bill acceptor on the guns and Roses CE in the Glenside machine shop vendor space.

F5507A7D-3B34-4297-BB43-9CB0038B46CB (resized).jpegF5507A7D-3B34-4297-BB43-9CB0038B46CB (resized).jpeg
    #2588 1 year ago

My friend mentioned why is this tool wasting space in the freeplay area just to advertise their business? People couldn't bring in pinball machines on Thursday/Friday - But, this Schmuck wasted a space for a pinball machine.

PhotoCollage_20230508_184946052 (resized).jpgPhotoCollage_20230508_184946052 (resized).jpg
    #2589 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Wonder the Flipper Pool in the vendor area sold. Repaint was exemplary

Not for $3500 with a plywood back door!

#2590 1 year ago
    Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

My friend mentioned why is this tool wasting space in the freeplay area just to advertise their business? People couldn't bring in pinball machines on Thursday/Friday - But, this Schmuck wasted a space for a pinball machine.
    [quoted image]

At least they work. Can't say the same for the project machines in freeplay that were down the entire time.

#2591 1 year ago

My Checkpoint didn’t sell at the show. Now reduced to $2,500 In the marketplace.

60AB80AE-23E0-4E6A-9E46-16CDB0190665 (resized).jpeg60AB80AE-23E0-4E6A-9E46-16CDB0190665 (resized).jpeg

#2592 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Not for $3500 with a plywood back door!

Yeah the guy who
    Painted it must be really talented ! Game looked familiar like it was once in my basement

54F933EE-6E82-486F-A8EF-3B5114FEAE97 (resized).jpeg54F933EE-6E82-486F-A8EF-3B5114FEAE97 (resized).jpegFF67FBA1-6870-4542-A8CA-A928CC1F068E (resized).jpegFF67FBA1-6870-4542-A8CA-A928CC1F068E (resized).jpeg
    #2593 1 year ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

At least they work. Can't say the same for the project machines in freeplay that were down the entire time.

Seemed like it was a mixture of newer and older stuff that were non-functioning. After mine crapped out I have a better understanding that some times things just won't work. My game payed great before and after the show, and was even fine Friday morning before all the other machines got turned on. It's not much of a project with it having new Wolffpc displays, Comet LEDs, Titan rubbers, etc. Just not my day, and it sure sucks to haul it there ans get almost no plays on it.

#2594 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Line was wrapped around the building when i got there Friday and it was 20-30 min tops. Not even close to being an issue

#2595 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

One of my buddies was looking for a Capt Card at the show and was willing to spend up to $2000 for one. If your friend ever decides to sell it, let me know.

I had a High Hand in the free play area; sold it early Saturday morning and the buyer left it in the show to be played for the day.

#2596 1 year ago

Lots of whining on Facebook. Show was amazing, crowded but that’s good for the hobby and for Ivan. Hats off for all the staff, game bringers and vendors. The flea had great deals this year something for everyone. TShirts were SAF really great art. Can’t blame anyone for not having enough stock, order what you guess will sell, piles of unsold shirts are not good for the Promoter.

#2597 1 year ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

I had a High Hand in the free play area; sold it early Saturday morning and the buyer left it in the show to be played for the day.

Is that the one highlighted on the local news? At $800 I thought it was a very good deal!

#2598 1 year ago

I had $800 on it and sold it for $750, it played well for the 3 days and the buyer was happy to get it.

#2599 1 year ago

There’s that whole weird 1000’ long roofed area out back that might work for outdoor flea market expansion

#2600 1 year ago

Set up the Pool Sharks I got from Gavin’s Game Service. Thanks for a great game at a good price!

IMG_8630 (resized).jpegIMG_8630 (resized).jpegIMG_8631 (resized).jpegIMG_8631 (resized).jpegIMG_8632 (resized).jpegIMG_8632 (resized).jpegIMG_8633 (resized).jpegIMG_8633 (resized).jpegIMG_8635 (resized).jpegIMG_8635 (resized).jpegIMG_8636 (resized).jpegIMG_8636 (resized).jpegIMG_8637 (resized).jpegIMG_8637 (resized).jpegIMG_8639 (resized).jpegIMG_8639 (resized).jpegIMG_8642 (resized).jpegIMG_8642 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,850 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.