IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Hotel booking info for the pinball room Posted by djreddog (6 years ago)

Post #652 Tournament volunteer sign-ups & tournament game registration info Posted by coreyhulse (6 years ago)

Post #797 Construction on route 78 eastbound through NJ Posted by Blackjacker (5 years ago)

Post #865 Traffic update for Allentown attendees Posted by Xerico (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

Congrats on that, btw! My wife agreed to marry me after the first pin, I know how this works.

I'm looking forward to this and think the idea of doing the afterparty at the Ramada makes a lot of sense. I'm certainly in to trying to make it work.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

I've seen some recommendations in the 2017 thread of staying at the Ramada next year. But when I looked at Trip Advisor they have gotten a lot of bad reviews recently.

They're not perfect, to be sure. I forget what the confusion we had at the front desk was but it wasn't insurmountable. I've done a lot of hotel restoration work and I would bet it has been a distressed property in recent history but they do seem to be trying to bring it up. I spent a little time talking to employees (and the bartender of course!) and they seemed to have a relatively good grasp of the objective.

I like the fact that it's a little off the beaten path. Pretty much every option is a ~15 min drive but I would feel secure leaving a trailer there; being on the back corner of an industrial park means there is absolutely no thru traffic.

2 weeks later
#38 6 years ago

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?

2 months later
#75 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I just booked my room. Who else is in?

I will make my reservation tonight, and if I can swing it will plan on bringing an EM for the Lehigh room. That'll be a call I'll have to make much closer to the date though.

Ever play a Flip Flop on skates with the tilt bob out? It's a great drinking game.

2 weeks later
#79 6 years ago

Ramada gonna be the place to be, still trying to decide whether to stay one night or two. Two is awfully tempting but I feel like a bit of a jackwagon spending for that second night when I live less than an hour away.

#92 6 years ago

The discount code for the Wingate is: "Don't wanna party with the Americans, eh?"

#102 6 years ago

Up to his armpits in Star Gazers, I would imagine.

You comin' to Allentown this year, @greatwichjohn?

2 months later
#149 6 years ago

Actually I'm juggling dates right now but it's beginning to look like I won't be able to stay overnight this year. My youngest sister is getting married in San Diego in May and I'll be lucky to make it at all.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

We have seen this game for sale in the Pinside Market once. The asking price was $350
Is this your price?

Hey now, is that proper etiquette? Asking a guy who said not ready yet, no prices or pics, if he'll match an arbitrary price?

Oh, it's you.

1 week later
#245 6 years ago

We stayed at the Ramada last year also with a bit of trepidation and while it had some of the tell-tale signs of a formerly distressed property, they really did seem to be on the upswing. Check-in was a little silly as there was a guy under the counter fixing the printer while the lady was leaning over him trying to ring me up, but I was sympathetic as I've been that guy under the counter before. Hotels are a weird animal but this one seemed to be getting its act together.

The bartender in the little bar on the main floor was really fascinated by the whole idea of people traveling as far as they had to a pinball show and she found the term "pinhead" to be rather amusing, so she yelled across the bar to another table of guys: "Hey are you guys pinheads?" A Canadian gentleman responded by simply standing up and raising his sweatshirt to show a pinball shirt with the word 'pinhead' on it. After chuckles and introductions, we put together that one of them was there for Marco and actually had an order up in his room for me I'd intended to pick up at the show the next morning. This is the community-type stuff I'm hoping to see fleshed out by this year's efforts, even though I may not be able to attend myself.

The room wasn't perfect but it was clean. The staff were helpful and the free breakfast was pretty decent too. My wife sleeps late but I was able to load up on caffeine and carbs before we checked out. I felt our ~$80 was fairly well spent...

1 month later
#449 6 years ago

Funny you say that, someone at league this past week was looking for one.

2 months later
#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

i found two of the guys from Gottlieb's Rock !!! lol

I drank a bottle of tequila in the parking lot with them while we listened to their new demo. It’s really good! Then we toured the bars and ended up in a Pinsider’s basement playing until near dawn. Had such a great time all around.

CBBB03DE-C502-496C-9C6D-05C9C89FEF53 (resized).jpegCBBB03DE-C502-496C-9C6D-05C9C89FEF53 (resized).jpeg

#1248 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

glad to hear! I'm excite to hear more - anyone else play it and if so how was it?

I played it a bunch of times, it was really fun and looks amazing. Lots of great shots, couldn't hear the callouts well and definitely noticed the flippers being a bit weak later in the day - may have been all day but I just didn't notice until later. It was hard to make the left ramp when needed but a little more power and it'd be no problem. That left scoop though! You know how fast the TNA scoop kicks out? This isn't much different except there's no flasher or anything to indicate if it's coming so a center drain is often the result unless a slap save can grab it. I had the best luck just flipping the right flipper a couple times when I knew it was coming so my timing would be right. If the tilt bob was in it, it was loose as hell so that at least helped.

#1253 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That's not really a Spooky designed game though. Yeah I like TNA, but wouldn't want to own it.

As if Stern uses a single designer?

Iron Maiden fits the exact same description and it's the first Stern I've been excited about in a long time.

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

You could not buy a single ramp at this show.

I dunno, I picked through a lot of ramps looking for what I was looking for. I hear you though.

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am the guy on the right drinking the jack and coke out of a pepsi cup. Feel free to tell me how much you hate me next time you see me

That guy's an asshole, I have it on good authority.

#1342 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The facebook app can crawl your phone contacts.

That's why I don't use it, or Messenger.

#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from irobot:

I work in heavy construction, we don't have feelings.

When I worked in construction, we quickly learned how to find the GC when we arrived on the site. He was always the loudest guy and probably throwing things.

#1378 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

My policy is pretty simple: Nudging is fine, but pinball feet should never leave the floor under any circumstances.

Agree 100%. By the way, who was the other Nick with the custom bingo machine? That was the absolute coolest thing I saw at the show, without a doubt. He told me people confuse you and him all the time so I figure you know who I mean.

I thought I understood how they worked but I had no idea, to be honest. He spent a bunch of time showing me why he loves them and now I do too. I also now understand why they were outlawed in the first place... I could have dumped a lot of coins in that thing and I detest gambling.

#1387 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

It was nice to see more machines in freeplay Saturday & machines staying later on Saturday, it was great to see the huge crowd Friday even though crowd seemed smaller than usual Saturday (likely because of the nice weather).

I've never stayed until 8pm on Saturday before but there were surprisingly few holes in the lineup until after about 6pm. I've seen tumbleweeds by 5pm in past years.

#1412 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I was in line to play your game on Friday. I had about six people in front of me,but then I heard the guy in front of me say he was holding a spot for two friends. After I heard this, I left the line. This was my first Pinfest,and I wasn't even sure if this was even allowed,but I really don't think it should be. I wasn't about to start an altercation over playing a pinball machine.

I had some clown pull that one in the Alice Cooper line. After waiting quite some time, the guy in front of me started a one player game and plunged the ball. Then a friend came up so he jabbed the credit button and made it a two player game. While his buddy who never waited in line was playing, a third guy showed up and they added him in as well. I finally asked them if anyone else would be joining their party today. They acted like I'd pissed on their golf shoes. I had no reason to push it further, they sucked at pinball and were done quickly.

Quoted from MarkInc:

I brought my Nightmare Before Christmas pin.
It was on and playable from 9-8 on Friday and 9-6 on Saturday. Over 300 games played.
Thanks to everyone that dropped by to chat and play.
Overwhelmingly positive feedback even with a couple of crashes (my fault) and weak flippers (not my fault)

I was one of those 300 and left very impressed. The light show is phenomenal and I really appreciated you taking the time to describe the development... cool stuff.

#1427 5 years ago

So, how can we get more than just a couple cops to show up? We have a reputation to build here.

8E57F497-68B1-4BE0-99D8-7FD7CF5983EC (resized).jpeg8E57F497-68B1-4BE0-99D8-7FD7CF5983EC (resized).jpeg

#1434 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

It hard to get police attention in York city unless you are actively in the process of committing murder. Same rules for Reading and Chester.

True. On the other hand, Lancaster cops will kick your ass for no reason at all. Sit on Water Street and watch them come out of the parking garage all swollen at shift change.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown?tu=emkay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.