IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Hotel booking info for the pinball room Posted by djreddog (6 years ago)

Post #652 Tournament volunteer sign-ups & tournament game registration info Posted by coreyhulse (6 years ago)

Post #797 Construction on route 78 eastbound through NJ Posted by Blackjacker (5 years ago)

Post #865 Traffic update for Allentown attendees Posted by Xerico (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WeatherbyMAG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1028 5 years ago

I bought the EK off the Freeplay floor Friday.... So all the people in the tournament who were supposed to play it after I bought it, can thank me for screwing them up LOL. Paid little more than I wanted, but the PF was extremely nice..... once I got into it tonight I found out why... has an NOS replacement PF in it. Probably put in within last 10 years I'd say judging from the condition. I've wanted an EK for quite some time, & they have been going up & up in price, at least around here.....Really nice BG, Displays good, Weebly MPU, plays fast.... the PF condition put it over top for me. I know Hardtops are out for this, but there is nothing quite like the real deal.

Spent a few hours on it tonight.... Put 2SMD warm frosted Comets in the backbox, Comet retro LEDs in GI..... Needed a new 15 pin connector on the SD board, Lamp driver board was bad, found couple bad solder joints on couple Playfields GI bulbs that were not working, 1 bad Feature lamp socket... new PF glass, replaced the 30" incorrect legs with a correct set of 28.5" Ballys, & about 2 hours worth of messing around with minor stuff & man what a difference....

Now just need some new targets, bumper caps, little rubber color change & a Cab Paint job/new rails, little coin door work & will be pretty nice. Eventually I will clear the PF, probably next winter when I have more time, too many others ahead of it in line.

If I didn't buy EK, I was going to pull Trigger on Skip's Dracula along wall in the vendor room. I stopped & played that 15 times over 2 days... & it was #2 on the to buy list... But I picked up 4 more games that were pre-bought, so just couldn't do them both, but Dracula was well worth the asking $ IMO

IMG_1237 (resized).jpgIMG_1237 (resized).jpg

#1040 5 years ago

I definitely saw a lot of turned off games/games out of credits/non working games especially early Friday. But I think it was this morning a Stingray had somehow thrown the left flipper rubber off the bat, & the rubber & ball were stuck together over on the left outlane... I thought that was an interesting one...it had credits, I pushed start button, did nothing & I wondered why.... (I own a Stingray, they are pretty straightforward) & looked over & saw that mess & just had to laugh.

I saw a lot of Sterns out of credits... I know there is no way to set freeplay on a Stern, even on an aftermarket MPU, but people should read their manuals & determine low scoring settings for free balls. Set low score to 10,000 for free ball & set the game to 5 ball instead of 3, just to make absolutely sure it is kicking out free credits while playing.

I really liked the one SilverballMania I was playing.... when I noticed the one wizard pop bumper cap was screwed on backwards LOL. Silverball seemed to be the game of this year.... I think there had to have been 7-8 of them between FreePlay & Vendors.... Pricing on them was "interesting" to say the least. There were couple that would have made good projects if I didn't already have one.

Found Bent shooter rod on one of the Paragons....

Always interesting to play other games to see how they compare to your own gameplay wise.

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

As a newbie to the hobby, this was my first Pinfest. My wife could not get off work, so it was some dad and daughter bonding time. Had a great time seeing ton's of games and met some great people. I can't remotely afford a new game and we like the pace of the older ones anyway. Went in to last week with 0 pinball machines and now have 2 of them. Thanks to Rich who sold me his Lost World and to Kevin for selling me his Black Knight as well as helping me examine the Lost World before I pulled the trigger. It was well worth a 3 hour, one way, drive and a day off of work.

If that was the lost world that sold on Saturday in the Vendor area right behind the Freeplay area, (which I suspect it is) You got a Great deal. That was an awesome machine for that price.... I looked at it early in the morning & was surprised at how low price was for the condition. Walked by it a few hours later & said Sold.... I was not surprised. Nice pickup for one of your first games!

#1399 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Ivan and his crew were making sure games did not leave before 6, and rightfully so. It says so right on the papers you put your name and contact info on that games can NOT be removed until 6, or a $40 fee is imposed. Problem is, people would buy a game, turn it off, and claim it was "broken". While there were still many games available at the 6:00 time, there were several which were off (some for a good while before that). I am sure these were not all "broken" as claimed, but I guess people want to protect their purchace. If that's the case, pay the $40 and take your game home. I'd rather see an open space than a game which was off.
Sure things aren't perfect, but Ivan and his team (he has a huge team) do a great job in getting a quality show to us.
Chris

As someone who has bought a game off the Freeplay floor two years in a row now, during show hours & didn't want to wait around till after 6 to break them down as I had a 3 hour drive home ahead of me I'll give some insight...

Both years I paid the $40 early removal fee.... I feel that also is another way to help support show somewhat financially even if I'm removing a game early. It makes me feel somewhat not like a complete schmuck.... If it helps keep the event happening every year, I'm cool with it.

Last year, I recall Pinfest staff both at the table & at the doorway being very uptight about me buying a game, on Saturday no less. They had one of their guys go to the machine with a pinball lift, watched owner tear it down, then they moved it over to the large garage door, the security was a pain in butt with us going in & out the door & hovering around the garage door while we loaded the game, they kept asking us to hurry up like we were causing the worlds biggest problem. They needed it off their dolly ASAP etc..... Wasn't overly cool, but whatever I was getting the game I wanted & not having to wait around till after 6 to save $40.

This year.... completely different... Guys at the table could have cared less that we were taking a game off the floor, one guy just found owners name on the registry list, marked it gone. I paid my $40.... Actually had to ask who to pay because they were so laid back about whole procedure, they just didn't seem to care, & were like "oh yeah, I guess you can just give me the $". The guy who took my $ signed the back of the card that was on the machine with owners info & said to "show the signed card to staff on way out the door" So went back, tore machine down, I really appreciated the people playing the two games on either side of me not caring that I was tearing a machine down in between them & glaring at me that I was interrupting their games. Neither stopped playing or gave me an extra inch to get to backbox etc but a lot of people in this day & age are just rude, so what are you going to do... If I was playing a game & someone started tearing a machine down or even just needed to work on it next to me, I'd just drain my ball & let them do their work & find another game to play, especially if I was on their right side where they need to be to get into the backbox on an old Bally & pull the glass, unhook connectors, & unbolt the head......but that's just me I guess.

I took backbox out door on one trip, then came back in & the ex owner & I loaded cab & took out door second time. There was no one around who was even paying any attention the entire time to what we were doing. Which is perfectly fine by me, but just found it strange I had such a different experience 2 years in a row. The security guard who worked that garage door both days looked like he wanted to be there as much as man on the moon, I never saw him get off his chair. Quite a change from the Crazy wristband Nazi lady last year who jumped up & chased down my 10 year old daughter & made her pull up the sleeve on her sweatshirt to show her wristband AFTER we had just been in & out that door about 4 times in 10 minutes & mulling around that area for another 20 while loading that game.... I know there were a lot of posts about her last year & rightfully so....

I tore it down & loaded it around 5 PM, I had few other things to do before leaving for the night, so I could have left it on the floor & on for a while, & actually did to allow a group of 4 to finish playing it on a 4 player game because I guess it had been selected for tournament play.... But I wanted to get it loaded before meeting NicoVolta to load 2 more machines in the parking lot... It's a lot of work to tear down a machine, move it out of building & across parking lot & load it, wrap it, strap it all by yourself, so I just wanted to get that box checked off.

One game on Saturday that I had paid some attention to, was the Bally BlackJack.... I think it was in the 1st row, closest to the back wall by the tournament.....I played it early Friday & felt it was priced very well for the machine, I had never played one, BG was nice, PF was nice & it was like $750 on Friday AM. If I was in the market, that would have been a good one to get, that was a nice machine for the $. I was walking around around 11AM maybe closer to Noon Sat & saw it had a Sold sign on it & it was turned off. It's gotta come down to the new owner, whether they want to let their machine sit there for rest of day & be played... risking a problem occurring.... Some people are going to be willing to do that & some not.

Anyhow.... just some observations, from someone who has actually bought machines off the floor during show hours before.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WeatherbyMAG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown?tu=WeatherbyMAG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.