IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Hotel booking info for the pinball room Posted by djreddog (6 years ago)

Post #652 Tournament volunteer sign-ups & tournament game registration info Posted by coreyhulse (6 years ago)

Post #797 Construction on route 78 eastbound through NJ Posted by Blackjacker (5 years ago)

Post #865 Traffic update for Allentown attendees Posted by Xerico (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gatecrasher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I always click on the Allentown thread with some excitement to see any updated info and it's always 90% about the damn hotels.

Yeah it's funny. There are tons of hotels within 15-20 minutes of Allentown. No shortage if you hate some of the closer ones for some reason. Basically you get what you pay for. I don't live in Allentown anymore (moved to Illinois a few months ago) but I find myself now back in Allentown for the next four months on a project. I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Bethlehem. It's about 20 minutes from Allentown. No big deal of a drive. Easton is only a couple miles farther. There are also a couple hotels near the ABE airport that are closer.

I'm trying to extend my stay in Allentown so I can attend Pinfest this year. Last year was pretty-good. I won't be able to bring any machines this year but I may be able to bring some of my parts if anyone needs any.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'll need to grab a few lift channels off of you. We were PM'ing a while back, but you were in the middle of your move. I know you have Bally stuff, but do you also have one that fits a Gottlieb Spiderman?

I make two sizes. One is for 1/8" thick backglasses and the other is for 3/16" thick backglasses. They are both 28.5" long but I can cut them to shorter lengths at no additional charge to fit other machines. You would have to measure the thickness and length of your backglass. I sell quite a few custom-cut lengths to guys with early EMs and other non SS bally/Stern/Williams pins which mostly used 28.5".

1 week later
#309 6 years ago
Quoted from Schnollms:

I really don't think theres anyone that doesn't want to see hotel posts. There are just some people (myself included) that are tired of hearing about people constantly rant about their bad Comfort Suites experiences rehashed from 9 months ago. It`s like "all right we get it by now" lol. But trust me theres nothing wrong with mentioning hotels.

You have to take all the bad hotel "reviews" with a grain of salt. I do believe people on here when they say their reservations got screwed-up and other gripes and bitches about the Comfort Suites and other hotels but stuff like that happens in this world whenever there are human beings involved in the process. People screw-up. But I've stayed at the Comfort Suites probably more often than anyone on here and wouldn't hesitate staying there again. I actually lived there for 4-5 months in 2016 while working as a consultant before I moved to Allentown and never had any problems what-so-ever.

One the other hand, I've stayed at the much more expensive Hilton Hotels before and had bad experiences with screwed-up reservations and other BS. Doesn't mean I automatically avoid them for life just because some nimrod screwed the pooch.

I'm sure you could find any hotel in the world where someone had a bad experience or felt they were somehow wronged but if every customer had the same experience they wouldn't be in business long. I always like the Comfort Suites because of the on-site bar/restaurant. I could have stayed just about anywhere including the more expensive Holiday Inn Express next door but usually stayed at Comfort Suites. It's nothing fancy but if you notice no one I've ever seen has said there were cockroaches in their rooms or anything like that.

Everyone likes one hotel or another for various reasons. My colleagues I'm traveling with now like the Holiday Inn Express in Easton while I prefer the Courtyard by Marriott here in Bethlehem. They are both about the same as far as the rooms go and the price too. The Ramada in Whitehall has a bar and comedy club and it's cheap but the beds aren't the most-comfortable.

The bottom line is you usually get what you pay for and yes.... people do screw-up occasionally but it's usually not the norm. I'd be willing to bet that the Comfort Suites will be sold-out during Pinfest. They are sold-out a lot in the summer too because of their location right across the street from Dorney Park.

2 months later
#650 6 years ago

Once again I will be accepting orders for my parts to be hand delivered at the show for no shipping charges. Time to save some serious $ if you plan to buy some of this stuff for the upcoming year.

So if you need any parts delivered to the show you have until April 29th to let me know.

I'll probably do a separate ad this coming weekend as a final reminder.

Here's my parts flyer and contact info:

PINBALL PARTS 2017 (resized).jpgPINBALL PARTS 2017 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1343 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

This was the first year that I have been going where free play games were being turned away at the beginning of the show because there was no room left. It was really great to see all of the rows of games still there on Saturday, no large empty spaces that are usually there in prior years. Probably the best pinfest I have been to yet.

That's a shame because there were several machines in the freeplay area that had no business being there. Machines that weren't even 50% functional and some that were 0% functional (as-in not even turned on). I didn't bring any machines for freeplay this year because I don't live in Allentown anymore but I did last year and made my best effort to make sure the machines functioned and were going to survive two days of play.

I understand that things happen and machines can break but there were some turkeys in the freeplay area that were turds from the second their owners placed them there. More of a project machine for sale than anything a paying attendee would get any amount enjoyment from playing in the "freeplay" area. These type of machines should have been moved out back to the flea market area to make room for people who actually wanted to support the show and brought working machines but were turned away .

#1388 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I attend TPF in Dallas and our local SFGE show in Atlanta and found a similar number of turds at TPF, but not as many at SFGE. SFGE has a Facebook page for game bringers and they try to discourage duplicate games coming and ask people to bring titles that are popular, but haven't been pre-registered. They also ask people to give duplicate keys to the Game Manager, who labels the keys and stores them in a small locker like a valet does for cars. They post the show's email box and if someone spots a stuck ball, flipper not working, etc. the general public can report it. They have 1-2 volunteer techs who fix the games all weekend at no charge to keep the games up and running for everyone to enjoy. No need for a simple problem to have a game down all day until the owner notices. The only downside is that you need a system to compensate the techs for parts that they use to fix broken games at shows (coils, coil sleeves, etc.).
This being said, anyone that brings a game and isn't a well known collector in the area will have their game gone over to make sure that it's not a turd that they brought to get free admission and free maintenance. I know because that happened to me last year.

That's the way to do it. Especially as the show grows to the point where they are turning games away. Anyone bringing a pin to the show for the freeplay area (in order to gain free admission) in addition to agreeing to leave it there or pay a penalty has to pass "tech" to ensure that it at least functions.

There are quite a few people who do actually support the show though. They bring decent games and take some pride in the fact that they are playable. Those are the people who are an asset to the hobby. A lot more than someone who brings a non-functioning machine to sell in the freeplay area and get in without paying admission. They aren't supporting the show. They are taking advantage of it.

I paid admission for both days. It was well-worth the price. I wish I would have ordered a T-shirt in advance this year though. They were all out of my size by the time I got there on Friday.

#1396 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I do think games start magically “breaking” or running out of credits as soon as
They sell, but what are ya gonna do.

There are always a few selfish deadbeats that have to ruin it for everyone else. Some people simply have no ethics or really give a damn about the show. It's all about them. It's a shame.

#1401 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't get too carried away...
I bought the best game at the entire show, an awesome Williams Toledo Friday. I left it on the floor for Saturday, cause why not? Game is 43 years old (like me!) and another day ain't gonna hurt it.
unfortunately the ball started getting stuck under a rubber on Saturday. Really nothing I could do. I was busy, didn't have any tools, and had no real motivation to fix a game that I didn't even bring to the show. I did remove the ball from under the plastic a couple times but gave up as it was a losing cause and I had stuff to do (like play in the tournament finals).
Shit does happen sometimes. I do think if you bring a game to the show you should bring some basic tools and be prepared to do nominal work on it if you need to.

As I mentioned earlier, sometimes there are issues after the fact and that is understandable. Last year I brought two games to Pinfest. One was awarded the "Grand Champion" ribbon. Both machines were solid and performed 100% throughout both days of the show and got a lot of play. I sold them both at the end of the show.

I always bring a small toolbox with me when I bring machines. Stuff like spare bulbs, a voltmeter, and the basic hand tools needed in case something fails. Plus a wrench to remove and install the legs. I bring my pinball cart too (which I usually end-up loaning to others bringing pins in and out).

There are usually plenty of people there with tools that will loan them to you if you need them.

#1444 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Oh man, remember those glory days of the York, Carlisle and Harrisburg “circuits”. Driving around in hot rods. Harrisburg was the first to go in the late 80s.
I stoped going to the other 2 in the early 90s. Had lots of fun.

Oh yes. Harrisburg had an awesome circuit. Far bigger and better than York or Carlisle although we used to go to those two occasionally too. Sometimes we'd go to grudge night at South Mountain Dragway to find out who's car was really faster.

When us Mechanicsburg boys weren't hanging out at and arcade or bowling alley playing pinball we used to go over to Harrisburg just about every Friday - Saturday night in our muscle cars and hot rods back in the 70s - early 80s. Down Front Street and back up 2nd Street for several blocks. A scene right out of the movie "American Graffiti". Most weekends it was wall to wall rods all looking for action. I had a '70 Chevelle SS396 4-speed. Bad to the bone.

We used to look for challengers to race for money and then drag race them on the Harvey Taylor bridge crossing the river over to the West Shore. At the end the exit ramp was one lane and everyone would stop so the loser would have to pay up. The Harvey Taylor Bridge is over 1/2 mile long and the Harrisburg cops rarely went on it. I can't remember the Camp Hill cops ever waiting on the other side either.

Looking back it was pretty insane really but All-American fun at it's finest. The first thing the city did in the early 80s to curb the massive cruising was to limit the number of times you could go around the circuit. Then they shut it down altogether around 1985-86.

The only other city left in PA that really had a decent circuit after that was Williamsport. It was awesome too and in many ways even better than Harrisburg. Similar set-up with the Susquehanna River on one side and the circuit on the other side. Down 4th Street from the Market Street Bridge and back around 3rd Street at Walnut Street. But a few years after Harrisburg was shut down they did the same to Williamsport which really sucked because the kids (and young at heart) didn't have anything to do after that other than get into trouble. Crime started to rise. Gangs, drugs, gun violence was on the rise so the city of Williamsport tried to relax their anti-cruising laws in the late 90s. I guess they figured it was better to hand out some tickets for chirping the tires than call the paramedics for the latest heroin overdose or homicide.

It's kind of dead nowadays but they have a big car show at the Burger King down by Pennsylvania College of Technology every weekend in the summer that usually wraps up with some of the rods making a lap of two around the old traditional Billtown circuit.

#1472 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

gatecrasher
Someones got a good memory and probably a little bit older then me. Cruised the Burg around 84/85/86. I would have been 16,17 and 18 at that time. Got fines from car being to load to walking across the street in a group of more then 5 people to making too many laps. Once The Burg closed down, cruised York for a year then headed to Carlisle during an auto show and just kept cruising there for a couple more years. First car was a 70 Nova 350. All stock and an automatic. Then I did a ground up restoration on a 64 Chevy II SS. 327 Corvette engine, 202 feully heads, punched 30 over, Oversized cam, rollers, elderbrook Hi-rise manifold, Holly double pumper, B & M bug catcher sticking out of the hood, B & M slap stick automatic. 4:11 posi rear. She was a dream car for me. Light and fast!!! Ended up selling the Chevy II to a guy I met up at South mountain that wanted to take the car to the next step in drag racing. Never should have sold that car!!!!!. My last car I ran was a 72 Supper Beetle with rebuilt high performance engine. Red light to red light that car would eat up stock big blocks all day long.
And back to talk about the Allentown pinball show. Anyone know any good hotels to stay at next year????

I'm surprised we never ran into each other. I lived about a mile away from Williams Grove Speedway and went to Cumberland Valley High School. I bought a 1964 Nova SS 4-speed in 1983 from a guy in Marysville and still own it today 35 years later. I put a 377 small block in it back in the 80s and is a full-blown pro street car now. Had it tubbed with a narrowed 9" rear by Ron Showers at Auto Weld Chassis in Danville back in 1994. I also own a 1965 Nova SS restored show car that is the "Johnny Lightning Muscle Cars USA Series" car from 1998 pictured on the packaging of the toy car.

15n5fgk (resized).jpg15n5fgk (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gatecrasher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown?tu=Gatecrasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.