IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #194 Hotel booking info for the pinball room Posted by djreddog (6 years ago)

Post #652 Tournament volunteer sign-ups & tournament game registration info Posted by coreyhulse (6 years ago)

Post #797 Construction on route 78 eastbound through NJ Posted by Blackjacker (5 years ago)

Post #865 Traffic update for Allentown attendees Posted by Xerico (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 1974DeltaQueen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 6 years ago

I'll book a flea spot again, it was a blast I didn't have an issue with "Uncomfortable Sheets"but I'd like to boycott them to support the others that got F'd over . Initially I booked at the Days Inn by the Airport but reading some reviews it has me horrified.

A few exits up is the Comfort Inn, (not Suites) for the price it's the best rated in its price class. I'll consider THE Ramada but will all the pins be SS or will there be 1-2 EM's ?

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Correction, improve all 4 east coast shows. A 2018 show in November or December in Delaware will happen.

That makes 5 shows

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I will make my reservation tonight, and if I can swing it will plan on bringing an EM for the Lehigh room. That'll be a call I'll have to make much closer to the date though.
Ever play a Flip Flop on skates with the tilt bob out? It's a great drinking game.

Never did that but I listened to the dark side of the moon while watching the wizard of oz after munching some magic brownies

2 weeks later
#77 6 years ago

Reading Days Inn reviews by the Airport:

BEDBUGS , that's all I had to see and by more than one reviewer.

Ramada is missing a few amenities I get at Comfort Suites ( Uncomfortable Sheets) but after the horror stories in the 2017 thread I'm presently boycotting them. I've stayed there 6 shows in a row, I'm willing to shake the tree if need be. What say other Pinsiders ?

1 week later
#94 6 years ago

Wimpgate

#98 6 years ago

Anyone have experience dropping a normal 6x12 sized trailer out back behind the show overnight? I think it would be a PITA to tow it around for 3 days

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from rmarket:

I've left mine there several times lwithout any incident (besides clowns parking both in front and behind it and screaming bloody murder when you politely ask them to move their car so you can get into it or hook back up). I wouldn't do it without a hitch lock.

I think I'll find someone who will park in front of the trailer that I can count on, great advice. I keep a motorcycle cable lock through the rims in my yard . Removing the hitch or locking it sounds like the way to go

#106 6 years ago

Part II, now what can I use as a deterrent for people blocking access to my trailer ? Other than caution tape, hey a--hole signs, and DOT traffic cones

#109 6 years ago

I got offered a special rate at the Homewood Suites a few miles south of Uncomfortable Sheets. I’m strongly considering it because it’s cheaper, newer, cleaner, and has more amenities. The reviews on the web are pretty high. I cancelled my reservation @ The Bed Bug Inn by the airport.

Pete, I’m going to buy a no parking sign and modify it to try and deter DB’s from blocking access to my trailer. And I’ll hook up to it early Saturday. I’m ordering a hitch lock from Amazon plus I’ll lock
My rims to the axel with a motorcycle cable lock .

2 months later
#230 6 years ago

I registered for the indoor flea, I’m avoiding Comfort Shitz and staying further down on 222 @ Homewood Suites (Hilton) newer hotel cleaner, has more amenities. I’m just too F#%*ing old to be up all night playing pinball at the Ramada . Sadly health issues removed my beer drinking days Honestly if this were 20 years ago I’d be all in with the Ramada Team. The VIP lounge at Pintastic was awesome for the DMD crowd I’m thinking this Ramada Inn Event will be as popular!

1 week later
#265 6 years ago

As soon as 3 or more reviews say dirty or bedbugs Theyre the flock off my list. IMHFO I think The Wingate is the best bang for the buck with fewer cringeworthy reviews At 80$ a night it’s value. Again, I’m treating myself to the Homewood Suites because I like trying new places a shade nicer than The Comfort Shitz. I stayed the last 6 shows at the CS, but I’m boycotting them for reasons in the two Pinfest Threads. And the strawberry waffles sucked last year ! Man they should have stuck with regular batter and had toppings on the side.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well I disagree. His will be my first time to Allentown, and this thread steered me away from the crappy hotels. You call it bitching, I call it welcome advice.

Bingo. Bitching is when things don’t go your way. Advice is “stay clear of or hey go here”.
I’m excited about the show and my friends from Texas are coming up. The Hotel do’s and dont’s are here to help people traveling long distances , to steer them in a friendly direction.

A lot of chatter about DMD’s and Ramps, toppers , mods etc.., I don’t give a rats ass about , or the tournament for that matter. I just filter or scroll past those posts.

It wouldn’t be a show without the pretzel wraps in the market and Wert’s Onion straws with a glass of Birch Beer on tap. Their open face Reuben kicks total ass . The Indoor Flea in the second room was pure brilliance by Ivan and his team. Don’t forget to browse all the vendors and flea guys, it’s great show for parts and project pins....and man cave items !

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Wife and I are officially coming to Pinfest.
I will have an open space on the way down for 1 (possibly 2) games, so if anyone wants transport from Madison, WI to the show then hit me up.
I usually ask for some transport cash but you are getting delivery by a pinhead in a minivan that knows how to care for a game en route and for way cheaper than normal transport.
When I have done this before I have found it is best to note that I prefer the game to be to me (assuming you are buying something in the surrounding area) prior to my departure. I can also stop enroute for something not too far off the direct path, but your seller will need to accommodate my travel schedule.

Awesome now all I have to do is find a mint Hearts & Spades on the Madison Craigslist

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Disclaimer, another hotel post:
Well for some reason the rate jumped $50 on the Renaissance since yesterday, glad I already booked it.

I locked in my rate in November. Stop by again I’ll have a brownie if your daughter wants one .

#317 6 years ago

HOTEL ! Play the game .. poke

#320 6 years ago

Follow Sir Brad to the “Pin of Misery “

1 week later
#342 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So, there are hotels?

Yes and they are encouraging guest reviews on the other Allentown Thread ! LOL

441C0BC7-0843-4A01-82E4-6CA59067A9D1 (resized).jpeg441C0BC7-0843-4A01-82E4-6CA59067A9D1 (resized).jpeg

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Would you like to tie me up with one of your ties, Ty?

I wanna hamburger, no a cheeseburger. I wanna hotdog and milkshake,

You’ll get nothing & like it !

#349 6 years ago

Does everyone know at ~4pm Saturday the pretzel wraps are BOGO ? Found that out Last year .

Hope Bob Adams is in the Flea again guy has some amazing stuff .

#373 6 years ago

71 Days to Pinfest. Has anyone been invoiced for their flea or vendor spot yet? They came early January last year, now we’re approaching March .

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Skip said that he had more people wanting spaces than he had available. He may still be trying to figure out the floorplan, etc.

Yes but how it works is if you had an indoor spot in 2017 you have first rights of refusal for 2018. On April 1st it becomes a first come first in line available if any of the 2017 flea spot owners decide not to flea for 2018. This was explained to me by Ivan to
Me and how it appears on The Pinfest website.

69A766D5-53D5-4456-8CA0-BBE889FC69CD (resized).png69A766D5-53D5-4456-8CA0-BBE889FC69CD (resized).png

#379 6 years ago

well as soon as anyone sees an invoice give us a shout

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I plan on being there...just haven’t picked a hotel yet

oh boy you need to go to the "other" thread they really like discussing HOTELS

#392 6 years ago

Me and my friend got the flea invoice today Thanks Ivan.

I wonder if the pretzel people gear up for Pinfest week-end. We’re some pretzel eatin’ Sumbitches.

Hope we get good weather and some outdoor flea setups. It’s nice to get outside and take a short break from the indoors.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

A couple questions, as I’d like to bring a game this year:
—how much abuse does a game typically get on the show floor? I’ve brought games to York in the past, but I know Allentown is a different beast.
—Does Allentown allow people to bring in registered games early on Friday or even Saturday? I know York allows that flexibility for those who can only make certain days, but still want to participate. Does Allentown extend the same flexibility?

I've only had one issue and that was 4 years ago. I had just gotten a pin, drove 6 hours to get it. On Friday This Jagov was playing it by violently slapping the flipper buttons, and not being very respectful. When I mentioned this to him, he was unresponsive or unapologetic. Looking back the thing I should have done was to unplug the game until he went away. Other than that, no issues at all. Last year when things didn't function last year on a game, this guy texted me, told me what the issue was, and turned my game off. There are more people like this than the idiot from 2014.

The doors open at 8AM Friday for Vendors and Free Play, you really should have the game set up before noon, when the GP crashes the gate. On Saturday it's a tighter window, the General Public comes in at 9 AM. Thursday after 1 PM is the best time to set up, but a lot of folks cannot afford to take time off from work and make this happen. They are pretty much 8 am on the dot for doors opening on Friday and Saturday from my experience. Ivan runs a great show, he has to have rules in place, but from my experience he is very approachable and will work with Pinsiders who want to bring games. They also have an armed Security Guard walking around and many volunteers monitor the show, I feel comfortable bringing Free Play games to Pinfest. A fellow pinisider reminded me that these games were designed to be played by the General Public, not placed in a home environment and treated like 200 year old parchment paper.

#425 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

this includes those bringing games set on free play, correct?

2017 on Thursday they let in the indoor flea and vendors before they let the free play participants. I was inside setting up in the flea and had to wait to set up my free play pin. I didn’t pay strict attention to the exact hour but I was let in just after noon

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

What time does Room service stop?

Which Hotel ? There are a lot of good choices being discussed so feel free to extrapolate.

1 week later
#458 6 years ago

Anyone up for tilted Kilts Thursday or Friday ?

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Do you know if they have an outside seating area? I'm a cigar smoker.

I had no
Idea but I did call & found out ! Yes they have outdoor seating in warmer months

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

But do the HOTELS have outdoor seating areas?

The bar attached to The Comfort Suites , LINKS, does have a patio with tables. I’ve rolled in late and peeked inside at some trashed folks doing Karaoke. The outside people were even more trashed . That is a 5 Star rating for me.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30029-d4763438-Reviews-Linx_Resturant_Pub-Allentown_Pennsylvania.html

1 week later
#521 6 years ago

Odd request: anyone have a playfield box they’re willing to trade for ? I need to possibly ship a PF to Texas

#529 6 years ago
Quoted from Teknotoyz:

I have a CPR and a Mirco box, will bring them.
Flea Market space 21.

Yes please bring. I was in spot #20 last year, not sure what spot Ivan will have me in. PM sent

#575 6 years ago
Quoted from wilsonza:

We have an office about an hour away in Bridgewater, NJ. Considering making a work + fun trip. Any suggestions on what hotel to book this late in the game?

My guess is The Wingate as best value for your money. Comfort Suites was mixed reviews by Pinsiders on the 2017 Thread. I stayed there 6 years in a row but for 2018 I tried a new spot. Quick check on Hotels.com says Comfort Suites is available and not much else as of 4/4/18. Wingate has a few rooms left but only 1 King sized bed

#581 6 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Just can’t get enough hotel talk!
What was the hotel that had the hookers hopscotching room to room all night long?

Hookers and Beer and Pinball can’t beat that with a stick !

#593 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What's the current party room game list?

Don’t forget to add RAMADA HOTEL to your post. Hotel Talk is instantly thumbed up on here. We’re a mere 4 weeks away ... I’m stoked!

1 week later
#639 6 years ago

I didn't notice the toothless wonder in the golf cart last year... Enjoying retirement, or did I miss him?

He was replaced with a uniformed Woman who was looking for her opportunity to taze somebody.

1 week later
#672 5 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Here's a primer of what's there for the uninitiated: http://www.allentownfarmersmarket.com/merchants/
The pretzel wraps from Billy's are a must, heck, anything buttered, baked and served under a heat lamp from Billy's gets two thumbs up. I think the bake shop bluespin is talking about is also under the Billy's banner, and their peanut butter Long John doughnuts are what dreams are made of.
Loan's Vietnemese is tasty. Awesome pho in a pharmers market, what are the odds?!
My wife and kids expect a big bag of licorice from Mink's Candies at the end of every trip.
If you can catch Bada Bingg when they serve breakfast, they work hard and serve some great food. Their lunch is okay, too.
Maybe the locals can recommend more, but those are a few of my favorites, coming from a portly gentleman (re: fat guy) who has been going to Pinfest for years and likely spends more time in the Market than he does in the free play area.

Wert’s cafe is awesome it’s a few blocks from the back gate. Great food ! As bad as that pizza is inside the door , the snack bar pizza is even more challenging to consume . I’m not knocking it because they have every right to provide quick easy food for patrons. I just prefer a more tasty and palatable version

I had some sour blackberries and some Peanut butter cheesecake that had an aftertaste that required a 2 liter bottle of Lavoris to remove the taste from my mouth. ALWAYS ask to sample first. Bottom line is that 99 % of the Farmers market food is absolutely delicious.

#722 5 years ago

I have 3 food goals for 2018 Pinfest.
Pretzel wrap with steak n cheese
Onion straws from Wert’s Cafe
Awesome Mother Clucker at Tilted Kilts

We’re 8 days away anyone else staying at the Homewood Suites in Fogelsville? I was booked at the Days Inn by the airport then read a review stating bed bugs. I cancelled that reservation faster than a Neptune in high tap.

Friggin gas prices keep rising, glad I filled up before this latest jump. For those pulling a trailer I find the Exxon at Exit 7 in NJ on 78 the best bet with plenty of turn room,

#726 5 years ago

I must be missing something, I went to the Pinfest Home Page and the site map I was unable to locate. I was looking for the vendor locations and the flea market assignments to see where I am assigned this year.

Any help, a hyper link specifically, would be much appreciated.

#736 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Looks like I'm heading to Allentown. 18 hour round trip. I'm meeting someone that is bringing down a machine for me.
Question is do I book a room at Ramada and party with you guys Friday. Or try to endure the full 18 hours in one day and only come Saturday.

This is the HOTEL thread of course you should get a room and party at the Ramada! All honesty here 18 hours of driving in one day is possible if you tag team it. By yourself it’s asking for a car wreck. Be safe live to flip
Another day.

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

I am a newbie member to Pinside and the collecting community. Just started collecting some arcade games this year. Went to a party a month ago and my wife fell in love with an old pinball machine. Now we are looking to pick up a machine. I am learning about arcade repair and know little about pinball, but eager to learn. We live just south of Baltimore so planning on taking the almost 3hr trip up to Allentown. Obviously, it will be my first Pinball convention.
Hopefully you guys won't mind answering a few questions
Not sure if I will be bringing a Subaru Forrester (04) or may rent a minivan. Either one should fit a machine for the ride home. If (when) I decide to buy one, do I bring cash, or just do PayPal on the spot?
Do I need to bring tools and a dolly to get the machine in the vehicle? If so, what would be a good selection of the correct tools?
Compared to arcade games, I am still in sticker shock with regard to pinball machines. I am happy at $500, OK at $1,000 and groaning at $1500. We are actually looking for early to mid 80's, in working condition, solid state games. Are my finances just out of reality for the market? It is difficult for me to tell when I see the same game go for $750 one time and $3,000 the next. I look up the prices in the game section here, but the Classified's are listed for so much higher.
Assuming my financial range is feasible, any thoughts on fun first games? The one my wife loved was Bally - Lost World.
Any other tips for a first timer?
I apologize for the inquisition and thank you for your help. Pinside is on my daily reading list but with Pinfest a week away, I feel like I need assistance climbing the learning curve.

Echo the cash sentiment.
Double echo the padding , aka movers blankets, foam, bubble wrap and cardboard. You need to eat up space in the Forester so the game doesn’t shift or get damaged. The cardboard protects your game and vehicle and if done correctly helps slide the pin in. Also a hunk of cardboard under the game before you tilt it forward off the hand truck. Stretch wrap is your friend if you happen to get a pin with a nice original cabinet. Bungee cords always come in handy. Foam over the game should save a window if you have to jam on the brakes or protect your hatch window.

Don’t be in a rush to buy but don’t be trigger shy Be Somewhere in between. People will help you load it’s in our nature. Sellers as others have stated have hand trucks with them.

Good luck hope you and the wife enjoy the show and find a pin priced fairly.

#784 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

We will have more alcohol at the Ramada. skyemont got us covered like Saran Wrap.

No man, You gotta go Stretch Wrap, this is a pinball thread.

Quoted from jesster64:

I think gas is cheaper in NJ than in pa or ct.

Only by a few cents if you stay on 78. Up a few miles on 57 it's 10 cents cheaper. I just paid 2.769 in Manchester, CT..

Quoted from Hammerhead:

Gas currently in ON Canada $3.93/gal

yeah is that Canadian or US Currency? 3.93 Canadian translates to about 3.07 US.

#786 5 years ago

That's good, after reading the TripAdvisor reviews, wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap is an excellent plan....

Still better than the bed bugs at the Days Inn . Jeebus I’m glad I’m paying extra for bug free linens. BTW if Comfort has the strawberry waffle batter again AVOID IT.

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Try to keep them strapped to the trailer wall this time

Putting E track in my trailer was worth the time and effort. I ordered my tracks and straps from U-Line , good to deal with.

#821 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

For folks coming from/through Jersey and taking Route 78, note that there's a shitload of construction happening on 78 West just 2 miles on the NJ side of the toll plaza at the border. 3 lanes down to 1, and today on my way to the Sands in Bethlehem from NJ it added roughly 30 minutes to that one-way drive. No work on eastbound, but westbound, just before the Phillipsburg exit, is a freakin' nightmare.

I wonder if I can get off exit 7 on 173 and pick up
22W and avoid that mess , sounds like exit 3 is already too late .

#833 5 years ago

Well, it is helpful to know if it's going to be a 5+hr drive or a 4+hr drive, along with am I getting scabies or violated by homeless (most likely both) while staying at X? How about a Farmers market thread? We need to fill our gullets.....Bars within walking distance thread? Tavern on Liberty is cool, but you will leave smelling like an ashtray (I will suck it up)....Clean bathroom thread would be helpful, ones at the show made make me gag...feel bad for the guy "working" in there... Sry, carry on

We’ve had everything else why not combine a few things. I’ll say it again Wert’s cafe is some real good food and beer on tap just a few blocks from the back gate . Those sour berries from the market last year turned my ass into a Wagner Power Painter . Buyer beware.

#1052 5 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Always surprised at what resonates with my daughter. Flipper Pool wins! For me, Houdini and TNA were surprisingly awesome.

There were 3 Flipper pools there I had one in Free Play Friday and then in the flea Saturdsy

#1269 5 years ago

My 2 cents. Ramada bar staff needed Mydol . Folks who like to raise a little hell and play pinball all night don’t forget Pintastic end of June. Lots of games kid and alcohol friendly. If you get the right pass or have met the X Games for Free Play, you go to the private party room full of great titles it closes ar 6 AM. There is a bar right outside the Free Play room and you can drink inside without being hassled: the hotel and show are one in the same. Next to the show is a liquor store, no DUI just saying.

Looks like 2 deals went sour, this is a Pinfest thread and calling each other out is best kept in PM’s. What about a deposit , it’s just that, cash is king. A handshake used to mean something but I guess now it’s an E-shake .

I had a great show but had vehicle issues that were just bad luck, chit happens,

#1456 5 years ago

Food and Lodging review, comments, don't read if not interested.

Any pinside reviews of the Wingate? I'm looking at the buffet pic and I do not see a waffle maker. Also I saw it was a merging traffic nightmare to get into the unlit entranceway to the hotel, not a positive in my book. But it got good cleanliness reviews and it was 20 bucks cheaper than comfort suites and HIE. I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Fogelsville, about 3 miles up the road from the Wingate. Breakfast was ok,not as good as Comfort., Interesting on Saturday the breakfast meat was thinly sliced Kielbasa, pretty good actually. It's not the Taj Mahal, but its a step up from Comfort in size and cleanliness, just too far away for my liking.

Local food, had a pretzel wrap, steak and cheese is by far the best one. Wert's open faced Reuben is a $hitload of food, I finished it but holy crap. Love the mouth watering fried onion straws, but you need 3 people to finish that huge basket They have white birch beer on tap, a step up from standard Root beer. They closed early on Thursday @ 9 PM, so don't fart around heading over there. Had the spicy mother clucker at Tilted Kilts. Basically its a buffalo chicken sandwich, pretty tasty. The kilts on the girls are extremely short. The beer on tap selection is wide, very impressive.

#1457 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Man, that StarJet just screams “the Jetsons”

Check out Gottlieb's Astro. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=99&picno=20769

The goal of the game is to spell out S T A R T R E K. These games were made before all the licensing BS started and the lawyers and greed set in.

#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Holy hell.... You're gonna need a new keyboard soon, they are only good for so many keystrokes.

Toomanyletters

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 1974DeltaQueen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown?tu=1974DeltaQueen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.