000-pinskys60 (resized).jpg
IMG_1133 (resized).JPG
IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 30.
#401 6 years ago

Last year was the first time I went on Friday and not sat am. The website said doors open at 12:00 but we arrived at 11:30 there was no line to enter and the doors were open and quite a few people were already inside. What time on Friday does the show start?

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Last year was the first time I went on Friday and not sat am. The website said doors open at 12:00 but we arrived at 11:30 there was no line to enter and the doors were open and quite a few people were already inside. What time on Friday does the show start?

People who set up games and booths at the show get in early.

Here is the show schedule: http://pinfestival.com/details.html

#403 6 years ago

Show normally starts at Noon on Saturday. If I remember correctly they let people in early last year because of the rain. I know one year they opened the door early because of rain and I am thinking that was last year. I am a flea market vendor and while I was trying to finish setting up people were trying to buy stuff. I was wondering why so many people were in the hall already and then someone side the opened early because of the rain?

#404 6 years ago

Yes fairly certain it was raining and COLD last year, that is why they let people in before 12.

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

People who set up games and booths at the show get in early.

this includes those bringing games set on free play, correct?

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes, you can come in earlier Friday, or on Thursday

#407 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hilton,
set up times on Thursday are from 1-9PM. The website doesn't say what times you can set up a game for freeplay on Friday, but I'd imagine 10:00 or later. Let's ask Ian the show promoter.

Ivan1496 Ivan What are the set up hours for freeplay pins being brought in on Friday and Saturday?

#408 6 years ago

A couple questions, as I’d like to bring a game this year:

—how much abuse does a game typically get on the show floor? I’ve brought games to York in the past, but I know Allentown is a different beast.

—Does Allentown allow people to bring in registered games early on Friday or even Saturday? I know York allows that flexibility for those who can only make certain days, but still want to participate. Does Allentown extend the same flexibility?

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Hilton,
set up times on Thursday are from 1-9PM. The website doesn't say what times you can set up a game for freeplay on Friday, but I'd imagine 10:00 or later. Let's ask Ian the show promoter.
ivan1496 Ivan What are the set up hours for freeplay pins being brought in on Friday and Saturday?

They usually get there at 7AM Friday and Saturday. I've brought free play games for many years...

Sean

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

—how much abuse does a game typically get on the show floor? I’ve brought games to York in the past, but I know Allentown is a different beast.
—Does Allentown allow people to bring in registered games early on Friday or even Saturday? I know York allows that flexibility for those who can only make certain days, but still want to participate. Does Allentown extend the same flexibility?

The answer to your questions is yes. We are just waiting for Ivan to respond about the setup hours on Friday and Saturday because the website doesn’t have this information for these days.

Last year several people brought games in the morning on Friday and Saturday.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I've brought a game for the past few years. Only thing that's ever happened to mine is they got a few hundred plays on them. I don't exactly watch them closely beyond coming by every few hours to play a test game but never had any problems

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've brought a game for the past few years. Only thing that's ever happened to mine is they got a few hundred plays on them. I don't exactly watch them closely beyond coming by every few hours to play a test game but never had any problems

I brought a game last year and placed it in the freeplay area. I didn't see or her of anyone abusing any of the pins.

#413 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It depends on the title. EM games typically get lower plays.

SS games can get around 200-400 plays. Popular DMD games can get 500-800+ plays.

I don't usually have any major problems on a properly prepared game. Though, considering the number of plays each day, I would suggest waxing the playfield between each day, rather than just once for the whole show.

As for people mistreating games, I can't say I've actually heard of that being a problem at this show.

#414 6 years ago

We will be looking to have a game in our booth again this year. if someone is willing to let us use theirs, we will mod it for free. It would remain on free play throughout the show and you'll get a free pass. Last year we did a Metallica pro. If you are concerned about abuse of your game on the floor, which I've never really seen, this might be a good option for you as we watch the game like it were our own.

Please contact me if you are interest. We prefer newer games, but older titles like taf or tz would also be just fine.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I've only had one issue and that was 4 years ago. I had just gotten a pin, drove 6 hours to get it. On Friday This Jagov was playing it by violently slapping the flipper buttons, and not being very respectful. When I mentioned this to him, he was unresponsive or unapologetic. Looking back the thing I should have done was to unplug the game until he went away. Other than that, no issues at all. Last year when things didn't function last year on a game, this guy texted me, told me what the issue was, and turned my game off. There are more people like this than the idiot from 2014.

The doors open at 8AM Friday for Vendors and Free Play, you really should have the game set up before noon, when the GP crashes the gate. On Saturday it's a tighter window, the General Public comes in at 9 AM. Thursday after 1 PM is the best time to set up, but a lot of folks cannot afford to take time off from work and make this happen. They are pretty much 8 am on the dot for doors opening on Friday and Saturday from my experience. Ivan runs a great show, he has to have rules in place, but from my experience he is very approachable and will work with Pinsiders who want to bring games. They also have an armed Security Guard walking around and many volunteers monitor the show, I feel comfortable bringing Free Play games to Pinfest. A fellow pinisider reminded me that these games were designed to be played by the General Public, not placed in a home environment and treated like 200 year old parchment paper.

#416 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I’m not so worried about coddling the games. Most of my games are firmly placed in the “players condition” bracket, and beg to be played more than they’ll ever get in my home.

I’m just always worried about burnt coils, or hard to obtain things like plastics breaking during the show.

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I’m not so worried about coddling the games. Most of my games are firmly placed in the “players condition” bracket, and beg to be played more than they’ll ever get in my home.
I’m just always worried about burnt coils, or hard to obtain things like plastics breaking during the show.

Mayfair amusements usually has a selection of common coils available.

Plastics are hit-or-miss. I normally install PETG washers to help protect some of the corners on games that don't have plastic protectors pre-made for them. For games that are notorious for a particular broken plastic and washers or protectors aren't an option, you'll probably have to address it through other means--maybe cut your own protector.

#418 6 years ago

I always bring games to both Allentown and York and never had an issue with someone abusing or mistreating a game. Put the tilt on tight if you want to reduce heavy nudging.

#419 6 years ago

One thing I think most people who collect forget - these machines took one hell of a lot more abuse in public places over the years then they ever would at a show and most survived fairly well. Two days at a show will rarely end up with anything but people enjoying your machine.

Maybe a plastic or two might break on a machine or two, maybe a coil will cook or something else silly might happen but odds are what ever went wrong at the show would have happened at your house anyway.

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

One thing I think most people who collect forget - these machines took one hell of a lot more abuse in public places over the years then they ever would at a show and most survived fairly well. Two days at a show will rarely end up with anything but people enjoying your machine.
Maybe a plastic or two might break on a machine or two, maybe a coil will cook or something else silly might happen but odds are what ever went wrong at the show would have happened at your house anyway.

Can’t upvote this enough. It amazes me that people forget what these things lived through before they got them or what they are built for.

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

This Jagov was playing it by violently slapping the flipper buttons

LMAO...too bad it's not up on YouTube

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

We will be looking to have a game in our booth again this year. if someone is willing to let us use theirs, we will mod it for free. It would remain on free play throughout the show and you'll get a free pass. Last year we did a Metallica pro. If you are concerned about abuse of your game on the floor, which I've never really seen, this might be a good option for you as we watch the game like it were our own.
Please contact me if you are interest. We prefer newer games, but older titles like taf or tz would also be just fine.

A fellow pinsder has graciously offered up his X-men pro for our booth!

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

A fellow pinsder has graciously offered up his X-men pro for our booth!

I don't think I've seen one at a show in a couple years--I'll look forward to playing it

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Hilton,
ivan1496 Ivan What are the set up hours for freeplay pins being brought in on Friday and Saturday?

I allow setup on Friday starting at 8am. Setup can happen after the show opens but I discourage it. I must consider that someone could run into a delay of some sort. In this case my guys must assist as this could be a safety matter. Saturday is also at 8am.

Regarding abuse, seldom happens and those that do are quickly reminded by many that support the show and hobby.

As for Friday start, the last two years I have opened earlier than posted. It was raining pretty hard. There has been a significant line to get in on Friday. I'm not about make people stand in the rain if I can help it. Be advised! If its raining early doesn't mean you should show up at 10am and expect this. The vendors must be given time to finish their setup. I generally ask around to make sure we are ready before I open the doors. Regardless of weather, If the line is excessive I may also decide to open earlier than posted in an effort to control flow. Its easier on my staff and a safety consideration.

Ivan

#425 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

2017 on Thursday they let in the indoor flea and vendors before they let the free play participants. I was inside setting up in the flea and had to wait to set up my free play pin. I didn’t pay strict attention to the exact hour but I was let in just after noon

#426 6 years ago

Can we get back to hotel talk please?

#427 6 years ago

Never been to Pinfest before. Trying to work it out this year.

Got a question.

Will there be anyone set up there to repair Arcade Game Boards? I have a mostly working board that needs a little help.

If anyone knows someone who offers this service, please send me their info, and I will PM them.

Thanks

#428 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Will there be anyone set up there to repair Arcade Game Boards? I have a mostly working board that needs a little help.

No, unfortunately, there hasn't been anyone there with a booth repairing boards--pinball or otherwise.

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Got a question.
If anyone knows someone who offers this service, please send me their info, and I will PM them.
Thanks

There has been board repairs done at each year of the pintastic Sturbridge show. If you want to go there in June.

#430 6 years ago
Quoted from pintoys:

There has been board repairs done at each year of the pintastic Sturbridge show. If you want to go there in June.

That is Ardvark:

http://www.ardvarkpr.com/

As far as I was aware, they only do pinball board repair, but probably wouldn't hurt to ask if you plan to attend that show.

#431 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That is Ardvark:
http://www.ardvarkpr.com/
As far as I was aware, they only do pinball board repair, but probably wouldn't hurt to ask if you plan to attend that show.

You are correct... "they" do pinball

(disclaimer: I work for Ardvark)

#432 6 years ago

What time does Room service stop?

#433 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Got a question.
Thanks

http://eldoradogames.com/

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

What time does Room service stop?

Which Hotel ? There are a lot of good choices being discussed so feel free to extrapolate.

#435 6 years ago

My wife and I will there on Friday in time to set up our freeplay games before closing. Is there a "pinball party" at the Ramada or one of the other hotels? I know I saw some posts earlier about that but didn't know if it was a real deal and we'd enjoy stopping by.

#436 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My wife and I will there on Friday in time to set up our freeplay games before closing. Is there a "pinball party" at the Ramada or one of the other hotels? I know I saw some posts earlier about that but didn't know if it was a real deal and we'd enjoy stopping by.

It's happening at the Ramada.

#437 6 years ago

Hello everyone! I know this thread (and the other PinFest one) are mainly about the show and games, but we have just made some announcements about the Tournaments at the event, so I am cross-posting here and encouraging you to check out this other thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-tournament-may-4-5-2018

Additionally, if you are interested to have your game be part of the Tournament, we have set the goal of having 20 games available to be used for the event. So far, we have a handful secured but we are looking for more. Please check out this page for incentives and how to get one of your games into the event: http://www.pinfesttournament.com/bring-a-machine

Thank you to everyone!

#438 6 years ago

What "other pinfest thread??" Someone please post a link to that.

#439 6 years ago

Ok everyone we are officially 3 months away! It's that time of year again! I can NOT wait. Can't believe it's been 9 months already. Looking forward more to it each day.
This week's finds include a Snow Derby (project) and a Bally Sea Ray (only needs a little cleaning). Haven't made plans regarding a vehicle yet so IF I have room I'd bring them. Was going to bring my Hurdy Gurdy but just sold it. I also still have that 1949 Gottlieb Basketball wood rail.

#440 6 years ago
Quoted from Schnollms:

Ok everyone we are officially 3 months away

You did mean 2 months, right?

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

You did mean 2 months, right?

My god I forgot. Even closer!

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from Schnollms:

What "other pinfest thread??" Someone please post a link to that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-buy-sell-trade

#443 6 years ago

I'm finishing up a nice NBA Fastbreak and will list it this week and I can bring it to Allentown.

#444 6 years ago

Anyone got a Big Hurt?

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Anyone got a Big Hurt?

Looking to buy or trade?

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Looking to buy or trade?

Well as you probably know I’d trade my Gladiators for one, but just wondering, what would you value your BH at?

#447 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Well as you probably know I’d trade my Gladiators for one, but just wondering, what would you value your BH at?

Heh, I didn't realize that was you posting. Found it odd someone else was looking for a Big Hurt within a week.

#448 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Heh, I didn't realize that was you posting. Found it odd someone else was looking for a Big Hurt within a week.

Lol. Not many people looking for one. Just love the baseball theme. There really aren’t many other good baseball themed games out there.

#449 6 years ago

Funny you say that, someone at league this past week was looking for one.

#450 6 years ago

X-Arcade cabinet and Tankstick controller - complete Hyperspin installation with all the different emulators and ROMs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/61045

I can bring this to Allentown, but will need to disassemble the cabinet so it fits in the van with the pins I'm bringing. Cabinet can be taken apart and put back together quickly.

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.