000-pinskys60 (resized).jpg
IMG_1133 (resized).JPG
IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 30.
#251 6 years ago

For $71.99 at the Ramada I am not setting my expectations too high. Besides, read reviews of any hotel and there are always some unhappy people on there bitching and whining.

What happened last year at the Comfort Suites is inexcusable however and I will never ever stay there again.

See y'all at the Ramada party palace!

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I stayed at the Wingate last year. The room was very clean. The bedroom was updated but the bathroom was dated (cracked tiles), but again it was very clean. They serve a free continental breakfast and I think the rate was ~$79.

I'm local and I can tell you that the Wingate is the newest of all the hotels mentioned above. Also, there are several hotels on Airport Road, Microtel, Homewood suites, and Marriot chain (residence inn, courtyard, fairfield). Another really nice hotel is the Hotel Bethlehem. A bit farther but nicely situated in downtown Bethlehem.

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Come stay at the Renaissance with me; we’ll have champagne and caviar while we play a gold plated TNA with crystal balls in the club lounge before slipping into 1200 thread count sheets for the night. *
*None of this is actually happpening nor am I stay at the Renaissance.

Damnit! I thought you were propositioning me.

#254 6 years ago

This will be the 3rd year at the Ramada for my friends and I. We've never had any issues and they've been actively updating the rooms since late 2015 so I imagine this year will be a little nicer than prior years.

#255 6 years ago

PinballSTAR will be there with an even BIGGER booth this year ! Look at all the NEW titles we're hoping to have - POTC, Remake #3, Houdini, TNA, and Alice Cooper... !!!

We are planning on having (subject to change) :

JJP :
Wizard of Oz
Hobbit
Dialed In
Pirates of the Caribbean !!! NEW title

Chicago Gaming :
Medieval Madness Remake
Attack From Mars Remake
Remake # 3 !!! NEW title

American Pinball :
Houdini - NEW title

Spooky :
TNA - NEW title
Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle (?) - NEW title

VP Cabs :
Wizard
Vertigo
Vortex

Pre-orders for delivery to the show - YUP - just email Joe at [email protected].

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
570-357-0042

#256 6 years ago

OOOH, I didn't know remake #3 was going to be there.

#257 6 years ago

Even though theres always good and bad reviews, and I know many guys who stay there, I could never stay at a hotel like a Ramada (sorry) or Howard Johnson, red roof or any of those 2-3 star places. Id rather pay $30-40 more and stay at a 3-4 star
comfort/holiday inn or places like wingate and marriots.
Im not booking any hotel yet. Might not need a hotel in the first place but that decision will be made within a month from the show due to personal reasons. If so, Id likely book the quite, clean, and newly rennovated Comfort Inn in Foglesville

#258 6 years ago

PinballSTAR - Any chance the Ramada party room can be sponsored by you and have a game setup there on Friday night?

#259 6 years ago

I'm hoping to find a new project machine there. Something cheap, but would be a good restore candidate.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Come stay at the Renaissance with me; we’ll have champagne and caviar while we play a gold plated TNA with crystal balls in the club lounge before slipping into 1200 thread count sheets for the night. *
*None of this is actually happpening nor am I stay at the Renaissance.

I know your sarcasm is strong, but I just checked that joint out...Wow, looks awesome... looks much better than a hotel I just stayed in for alot more than they are charging per night. If I was going with the family I'd probably try them this time, but since I'll be going with a buddy, and may have walked face first into the sliding doors at the Holiday Inn at 3am one year (need room key to open them after a certain hour) and you could probably shove me in the trunk of a car after a day of drinking and told me I slept at the Ritz....I'm guessing Holiday Inn or Wingate will be my bedbug free floor to pass out on

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

OOOH, I didn't know remake #3 was going to be there.

Reason enough for me to go back to Pinfest this year.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The reviews about the Ramada gave me pause as well. Dirty rooms, broken toilets/sinks/showers, fruit files, dirty/ripped sheets, bad/moldy smells in the rooms and halls--and those are just the complaints in the past month.
I've been staying somewhere else for the past several years, but each year they keep jacking up the price, and it's really not that nice of a hotel for what they're asking for it now.

Check the hotels on Airport Road or in Fogelsville.

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I know your sarcasm is strong, but I just checked that joint out...Wow, looks awesome... looks much better than a hotel I just stayed in for alot more than they are charging per night. If I was going with the family I'd probably try them this time, but since I'll be going with a buddy, and may have walked face first into the sliding doors at the Holiday Inn at 3am one year (need room key to open them after a certain hour) and you could probably shove me in the trunk of a car after a day of drinking and told me I slept at the Ritz....I'm guessing Holiday Inn or Wingate will be my bedbug free floor to pass out on

Although I'm not staying there this year I stayed there for the last two years and it is quite nice and is convenient to the fairgrounds. For a weekend stay over PinFest pretty much any larger company or gov rate will fetch you a nice room for $109/night. I practically live out of Marriotts for work so I usually stay on points. I'm expecting to have a trailer this year which is the only reason I'm not staying there again. (The Renaissance is downtown so it's garage parking only.)

As far as stumbling back to the room at 3AM there are a number of great restaurants/bars/microbreweries within a 2-3 block radius.

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Although I'm not staying there this year I stayed there for the last two years and it is quite nice and is convenient to the fairgrounds. For a weekend stay over PinFest pretty much any larger company or gov rate will fetch you a nice room for $109/night. I practically live out of Marriotts for work so I usually stay on points. I'm expecting to have a trailer this year which is the only reason I'm not staying there again. (The Renaissance is downtown so it's garage parking only.)
As far as stumbling back to the room at 3AM there are a number of great restaurants/bars/microbreweries within a 2-3 block radius.

O...not sarcasm(Well not all lol)..I apologise Crap, now I have to think about it... Walking distance quality establishments are a definite plus...

#265 6 years ago

As soon as 3 or more reviews say dirty or bedbugs Theyre the flock off my list. IMHFO I think The Wingate is the best bang for the buck with fewer cringeworthy reviews At 80$ a night it’s value. Again, I’m treating myself to the Homewood Suites because I like trying new places a shade nicer than The Comfort Shitz. I stayed the last 6 shows at the CS, but I’m boycotting them for reasons in the two Pinfest Threads. And the strawberry waffles sucked last year ! Man they should have stuck with regular batter and had toppings on the side.

#266 6 years ago

I always click on the Allentown thread with some excitement to see any updated info and it's always 90% about the damn hotels.

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I always click on the Allentown thread with some excitement to see any updated info and it's always 90% about the damn hotels.

Yeah it's funny. There are tons of hotels within 15-20 minutes of Allentown. No shortage if you hate some of the closer ones for some reason. Basically you get what you pay for. I don't live in Allentown anymore (moved to Illinois a few months ago) but I find myself now back in Allentown for the next four months on a project. I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Bethlehem. It's about 20 minutes from Allentown. No big deal of a drive. Easton is only a couple miles farther. There are also a couple hotels near the ABE airport that are closer.

I'm trying to extend my stay in Allentown so I can attend Pinfest this year. Last year was pretty-good. I won't be able to bring any machines this year but I may be able to bring some of my parts if anyone needs any.

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I won't be able to bring any machines this year but I may be able to bring some of my parts if anyone needs any.

I'll need to grab a few lift channels off of you. We were PM'ing a while back, but you were in the middle of your move. I know you have Bally stuff, but do you also have one that fits a Gottlieb Spiderman?

#269 6 years ago

I'm getting more exited every day. Pinfest is absolutely my favorite days of the year. Hoping to find a couple pins on my wishlist.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'll need to grab a few lift channels off of you. We were PM'ing a while back, but you were in the middle of your move. I know you have Bally stuff, but do you also have one that fits a Gottlieb Spiderman?

I make two sizes. One is for 1/8" thick backglasses and the other is for 3/16" thick backglasses. They are both 28.5" long but I can cut them to shorter lengths at no additional charge to fit other machines. You would have to measure the thickness and length of your backglass. I sell quite a few custom-cut lengths to guys with early EMs and other non SS bally/Stern/Williams pins which mostly used 28.5".

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Agree, thread should be renamed hotel bitch fest.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Agree, thread should be renamed hotel bitch fest.

Well I disagree. His will be my first time to Allentown, and this thread steered me away from the crappy hotels. You call it bitching, I call it welcome advice.

#273 6 years ago

Just to redirect some of the energy away from motels & hotels and towards the actual show and what is headed to the show I'll be bringing 20+ project & semi project machines to the show (if not more) again this year. Mostly Data East, Williams System 11 and some Bally and/or Williams DMD stuff. Sometime about a month before the show I'll post a list of machines headed to the show with "about" prices, etc. Most machines are in fairly nice overall condition - working or semi working - but unshopped. Prices will be "fair" and in line with current market values (we are not going to give them away but they will be priced fairly).

These will be for sale prior to the show if someone wants to come to my place to pick them up but I will not take deposits or hold anything for people coming to the show. I have played that game in the past and ended up holding 8 or 10 machines for people who never showed up for them. Then I ended up having to sell machines at reduced prices on Saturday (or bring them home) even though I had cash offers for more Thursday or Friday. If you want something bad enough just drive to our place and grab it before I load for the show!

PLEASE do not email for a list or prices yet - we are not ready for that right now. As soon as I know for sure what is getting sold I'll post a list. I don't want to deal with selling machines with snow on the ground and this time of year that could happen pretty much any time. I might do this in 2 phases with the first list being machines we currently have in the garage & the second list machines in storage or in our collection. That might make things easier on my end and at the same time I'll be able to get one list posted sooner.

In any event save your tax return money if you are looking for decent project machines here in Central PA or if you live close enough to make the drive! Price range on "most" machines will be $1500 to $3500 just to give you some idea of the type of machines I am talking about! Some titles that might make the list include: World Cup Soccer, Stargate, Shaq Ataq, Bride of Pinbot, Whirlwind, ElDorado City of Gold, Judge Dredd, Cue Ball Wizard, Hyperball, and many many more. As I said above - none of these are "for sure" yet but these are just a few of the machines we are considering selling off this Spring.

#274 6 years ago

https://halfoffeasternpa.com/index.php?index_type=promo-detail&h=5905409
Hotel has good reviews on many sites. If you are still looking might be a good choice.

#275 6 years ago

Can someone give me the cliff notes on the show?

When to arrive?
What goes on, when?
What time and date do I arrive to have a shot at grabbing a deal on a game?
Is there a tournament and any details on that?
I know some shows are only worth it the first day and then things clear out by a certain time on day 2... anything like that here?

Any tips?

Where do we stay? I scanned the past few pages but not sure it was ever noted what is actually the best?

#276 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can someone give me the cliff notes on the show?
When to arrive?
What goes on, when?
What time and date do I arrive to have a shot at grabbing a deal on a game?
I know some shows are only worth it the first day and then things clear out by a certain time on day 2... anything like that here?
Any tips?
Where do we stay? I scanned the past few pages but not sure it was ever noted what is actually the best?

1. IF you are a vendor or brining games then thursday night or early friday morning. If your from the public then 12 pm friday.
2. Sadly, year after year the show seems to be "over" even earlier as many people bring presold games or they sell them during set up hours. That`s why I recommend getting a vendor booth or bringing a game for freeplay so you can get in early and be able to get the best deals.
3. Best deals are found either thursday night or at the end of the show on saturday.
4. An outside company (I think its called IFPF or something like that) runs tournaments for all age groups during friday afternoon (not sure about saturday). As for last year, the first round was free and additional entires were a few dollars (maybe $5 if Im not mistaken). HOWEVER, Im not sure if the tournament details and procedures will be the same this year.
5. I only stay on friday. I wish I can stay on saturday however I can't for work related reasons. Honestly like I said earlier, most deals are done very early and the show is kind of played out by saturday (unless your seeking the very last minute deals before people load up).
6. I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Fogelsville PA last year. I know people who stayed at the holiday inn express near dorney park and the red roof inn (both are in allentown) and they were satisfied. I haven't stayed at the Comfort Suites by dorney in 9 years however that seems to be the place to avoid based off of current reviews. And with all due respect to my fellow pinsiders who day in and day out complain, complain, and complain about the hotel situation, there are probably DOZENS of hotels within 10 minutes of the show in either allentown or the surrounding areas. Even though the other guys are correct about the comfort suites situation, it is probably really stressful for Ivan, the show promoter is who is a great guy and is the one putting this all together and making this possible, to hear all of the crap but thats just my input.
Notes: the titled kilt restaurant on (I think its Lehigh Street) is a great pub that has all of the games televised and good burgers and chicken fingers. The Fairgrounds Farmers Market across the parking lot from the show has many assorted booths (the pretzels there are my favorites).

I hope you give pinfest a try!! Its really a great a show and you won't leave dissatisfied. I got a great Top Card last year (from Ivan) that made my day and the show gets better each year. I can't believe we`re only about 100 days till the next show. It really feels like yesterday I was sitting in my booth. This year will be our 6th straight year doing the flea market (and have been attending for many years prior) so please take my advice.

#277 6 years ago

Thanks very much for the complete response!

#278 6 years ago

Last year the tournament was limited herb, classics one day and main the next. Jay & the fine folks at Pincrossing ran it. Here's a link to some of it that was streamed: https://www.twitch.tv/pincrossing/videos/all

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes. Officially it goes until 8pm on Saturday night and freeplay machines are supposed to be there until 6, but they started trickling out mid-afternoon last year.

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There will be an IFPA tournament that takes place during PinFest as has been done in prior years.

We are in the planning process at the moment, and when we have information to share I will be sure to post it here and start a PinFest thread dedicated to the tournament.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well I disagree. His will be my first time to Allentown, and this thread steered me away from the crappy hotels. You call it bitching, I call it welcome advice.

Bingo. Bitching is when things don’t go your way. Advice is “stay clear of or hey go here”.
I’m excited about the show and my friends from Texas are coming up. The Hotel do’s and dont’s are here to help people traveling long distances , to steer them in a friendly direction.

A lot of chatter about DMD’s and Ramps, toppers , mods etc.., I don’t give a rats ass about , or the tournament for that matter. I just filter or scroll past those posts.

It wouldn’t be a show without the pretzel wraps in the market and Wert’s Onion straws with a glass of Birch Beer on tap. Their open face Reuben kicks total ass . The Indoor Flea in the second room was pure brilliance by Ivan and his team. Don’t forget to browse all the vendors and flea guys, it’s great show for parts and project pins....and man cave items !

#282 6 years ago

To be very honest the only thing bad I can say about Allentown is Ivan is totally out of space. I was talking with him this past weekend and he already knows he has more vendors then he has room for and the show is 3 months away. Since Ivan took the show over about 8 or 9 years ago he has done a fantastic job growing the show! Sadly growth is likely over at this point because he is out of space but if you want to attend one of the best shows in the country for buying pins or parts Allentown is it.

And lets not even get started about all the great food at the farmers market just on the other side of the street from the entrance. I work my ass off ever year setting up at the indoor flea market and still come home gaining weight. Thankfully my wife comes along to keep an eye on me or it would be even worse!

Other than the "space issue" if I could change one thing about Allentown it would be to try to get guys who bring machines to stay a little later on Saturday. Saturday the show is open until 8PM but sadly the show is over around 4PM. I know most of us have a long drive home but it would be great if everyone made an attempt to keep machines on the floor until just after 6PM. I always try to do my part and wait until after 6 before I start packing and I know from experience if people keep packing early Saturday will become a total waste of time a few years down the road. So please try to do your part to keep machines on the floor as late as possible on Saturday.

#283 6 years ago

It will be my first trip to Allentown this year and im really looking forward to it. !

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

he already knows he has more vendors then he has room for and the show is 3 months away.

Just booked our booth for the flea market! Approximately 100 days and counting.

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Other than the "space issue" if I could change one thing about Allentown it would be to try to get guys who bring machines to stay a little later on Saturday. Saturday the show is open until 8PM but sadly the show is over around 4PM. I know most of us have a long drive home but it would be great if everyone made an attempt to keep machines on the floor until just after 6PM. I always try to do my part and wait until after 6 before I start packing and I know from experience if people keep packing early Saturday will become a total waste of time a few years down the road. So please try to do your part to keep machines on the floor as late as possible on Saturday.

I agree with this too. This is why I keep my machine there until at least 7 pm on Saturday. It is usually one of the last running, and I usually have to wait for someone to finish a game before teating it down. I wouldn't want it any other way.

The space thing will be an issue eventually. He is full up now, which is a good thing. The show has moved before, and if need be, could probably do so again, but the Agri-lex is a perfect location with the market right there.

Chris

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I agree with this too. This is why I keep my machine there until at least 7 pm on Saturday. It is usually one of the last running, and I usually have to wait for someone to finish a game before teating it down. I wouldn't want it any other way.
The space thing will be an issue eventually. He is full up now, which is a good thing. The show has moved before, and if need be, could probably do so again, but the Agri-lex is a perfect location with the market right there.
Chris

Chris,

As long as Ivan is running the show it is highly unlikely he will move it. He realizes how important the farmers market is to the show success and that is one of the things we were talking about this past weekend. He would love to move the flea market back outside (under a big tent) but the tent would be cost prohibitive according to the research he has done so far. Having a full show with a waiting list is actually a good thing in many ways so I doubt we will see any major changes any time soon.

I am hoping more people start thinking like you and realize a couple extra hours Saturday will be a HUGE help to the show. Sadly in this day and age way to many people just care about what is best for them and don't think about the big picture. Keeping machines up and running until after 6 PM will help the Saturday crowd grow but people leaving early will kill Saturday in the long term. So again - if you are bringing a machine PLEASE think about what is best for the show long term. Another hour or two later Saturday night isn't really that big of a deal but killing Saturday will be the beginning of the end for a great show. PLEASE don't take things down that path!

#287 6 years ago

Here are some games I'm looking for in really nice condition, no projects or major cosmetic issues if anyone is looking to sell and is coming to the show...

Gottlieb 70's EM's, primarily drop-target games but I'd consider anything if it's in super condition.

Also...

Genie
Pinball Pool
Countdown
Spiderman (GTB)
Black Jack
Eight Ball
Eight Ball Deluxe
Eight Ball Champ
Silverball Mania
Mata Hari
Simpsons
Robocop
Jurassic Park
Cactus Jack
Surf N Safari
Silver Slugger
Title Fight
Car Hop
Street Fighter
Pool Sharks
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Comet
Cyclone
Pinbot
TAF
TZ
T2
ToM
FH

#288 6 years ago

I have a Black Knight upper playfield that I could bring to Pinfest. Not great condition, it is close to being tossed, so let me know. Also, some old BK plastics. I have a stock DMD from LOTR too.
{{ BK Upper spoken for }}

#289 6 years ago

That is a killer lineup Joe. Cannot wiat.

#290 6 years ago

Would love to get a hotdogin pinball, if anyone has one to sell and they plan to go to Allentown please PM me.

#291 6 years ago

I am looking for another classic Bally 77-90 time frame, but the good years and odd balls mainly.

#292 6 years ago

Wife and I are officially coming to Pinfest.

I will have an open space on the way down for 1 (possibly 2) games, so if anyone wants transport from Madison, WI to the show then hit me up.

I usually ask for some transport cash but you are getting delivery by a pinhead in a minivan that knows how to care for a game en route and for way cheaper than normal transport.
When I have done this before I have found it is best to note that I prefer the game to be to me (assuming you are buying something in the surrounding area) prior to my departure. I can also stop enroute for something not too far off the direct path, but your seller will need to accommodate my travel schedule.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from coreyhulse:

There will be an IFPA tournament that takes place during PinFest as has been done in prior years.
We are in the planning process at the moment, and when we have information to share I will be sure to post it here and start a PinFest thread dedicated to the tournament.

It's a big tournament and a circuit event this year I believe. It's gonna rule. So bring your $1 fee and registration money and let's get to work!

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will have an open space on the way down for 1 (possibly 2) games, so if anyone wants transport from Madison, WI to the show then hit me up.
I usually ask for some transport cash but you are getting delivery by a pinhead in a minivan that knows how to care for a game en route and for way cheaper than normal transport.
When I have done this before I have found it is best to note that I prefer the game to be to me (assuming you are buying something in the surrounding area) prior to my departure. I can also stop enroute for something not too far off the direct path, but your seller will need to accommodate my travel schedule.

Very cool. And I am immediately scavenging for any games that might be on your route.

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You partying with us at the Ramada?

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Very cool. And I am immediately scavenging for any games that might be on your route.

LMK if you find anything. Always nice ot be able to expand the search radius.
If anyone wants to buy a new game from Chris at KingPin Games then I could transport that also.

Quoted from djreddog:

You partying with us at the Ramada?

Unsure where we are staying. I need to book something soon.

#297 6 years ago

Warning for the "I'm offended by seeing another hotel post" people, scroll on....

So, guys that have stayed at the Renaissance...is self parking really a sh#t show like the reviews say? Or is it fine if your not a complainer.... Also, what does the parking garage charge?
Thanks

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Warning for the "I'm offended by seeing another hotel post" people, scroll on....
Thanks

I really don't think theres anyone that doesn't want to see hotel posts. There are just some people (myself included) that are tired of hearing about people constantly rant about their bad Comfort Suites experiences rehashed from 9 months ago. It`s like "all right we get it by now" lol. But trust me theres nothing wrong with mentioning hotels.

#299 6 years ago

I am looking for a Big Game (stern)... hit me up!

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Awesome now all I have to do is find a mint Hearts & Spades on the Madison Craigslist

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown/page/6?hl=schnollms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.