000-pinskys60 (resized).jpg
IMG_1133 (resized).JPG
IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 30.
#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Cool....I'll stop over to put some games on yours in a home atmosphere before I commit to buy one. Let me know your beer preference.

Sounds good. My favorite is any.

#1302 5 years ago

Anyone know just how many pins were there this year?

#1303 5 years ago
Quoted from Jive:

There were about 60 machines on each side of each full aisle. I forget how many aisles there were though.

#1304 5 years ago
Quoted from SkeebWilcox:

I take it you are the wonderful gentleman that I bought the Rock On! from.

Nice, I was wondering who might end up with it.

If you're not already aware, be sure to check the pinwiki page for info on allied leisure games. There's a bunch of stuff there that should help with introducing you to the game system and offer some troubleshooting info.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair

#1305 5 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

- Scored a well-played re-import Rescue 911 that I'm really looking forward to working on. Rob was great to deal with. Not sure what his pinside ID is.

Great to meet you too Corey. Enjoy your R911! Let me know if you figure out what is wrong with the helo blades not spinning.

#1306 5 years ago

Some of you may have seen me lugging a caveman playfield out to car at end of Fri night.

20180508_131221 (resized).jpg20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

#1307 5 years ago

Cleaning up real nice

20180508_132738 (resized).jpg20180508_132738 (resized).jpg

#1308 5 years ago
Quoted from SkeebWilcox:

too-many-pins:
I take it you are the wonderful gentleman that I bought the Rock On! from. Just want to thank you for the sale and all the courtesies you extended to me during the transaction. Look forward to getting her fully functional and in the collection!!! Thank you for not "giving up" setting up at the flea market prior to this year...sellers like you are hard to find these days!!!

Thanks for the kind words!

People who have not tried buying and selling in volume don't realize how much work it is for the very small return you make these days. My son & I worked everyday for nearly 3 weeks getting stuff ready for the show and I am still in the process of getting stuff unloaded and put away. I have not run the totals yet but I would be willing to bet it actually cost me money to do the show again this year (once I figure all my associated cost).

Thankfully I enjoy getting machines that have just been sitting somewhere out for sale and to people who will actually do something with them. Because if it was about money I would have given up buying & selling machines within a year of getting into the hobby. Wal-Mart greeters make more per hour than I ever have moving 300+ pound pinball machines around and they are not driving thousands of miles each year to make a few dollars either!

Glad you are happy with that machine! Be sure to drop me a PM to let me know how you make out getting her up and running again. I love to get emails with pictures of project machines I have sold once they are finished. It just makes me feel good to see how nice some of the stuff cleans up and I feel even better knowing the machines are being enjoyed again instead of just sitting in a corner under a pile of junk & dirt.

Thanks Again!
Skip

#1309 5 years ago
Quoted from Jive:

300+ in freeplay and that number does not include any machines in vendor booths. If you count everything in freeplay, vendor booths, and the flea market area I would guess in excess of 600 machines total at the show.

#1310 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

300+ in freeplay and that number does not include any machines in vendor booths. If you count everything in freeplay, vendor booths, and the flea market area I would guess in excess of 600 machines total at the show.

This was the first year that I have been going where free play games were being turned away at the beginning of the show because there was no room left. It was really great to see all of the rows of games still there on Saturday, no large empty spaces that are usually there in prior years. Probably the best pinfest I have been to yet.

#1311 5 years ago

Great show and big thanks to all involved!
My wife and daughter loved playing all the games and insisted we go back this year.

Anyone know the details of the getaway supercharger led mod I saw on a game there. The game was amazing all around but had an especially cool lit supercharger loop. I only played once but looked like it lit in a blue chasing pattern at times and a red chasing the other direction other times. Looked very cool.

#1312 5 years ago

I thought Ivan publicly said that they were turning away games beyond 250? and that you needed to register in advance

I counted just shy of 300 in the entire free play area on Friday morning (that included vendor games).

The flea market area had a bunch more but only a few playable.

#1313 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think I was unfortunately gone by the time you arrived.
I missed seeing Ran and Casey also (if they made it?)

Sorry I missed you! I was there on Saturday from about 11:30-4. I had to make it a quick trip this year due to having so much work to do for the wedding next week. We'll definitely have to make sure we exchange numbers next time we both know we'll be at a show.

#1314 5 years ago

Yes, this was one of the best Pinfest I've been to! This is 7 or 8 years for me. I was lucky to score a Spin Out that was at a vendor towards the front of the room. Kind of tucked in. I've been patiently waiting for one to come available at a decent price. So there it was & in my truck it went! I wasted no time making that transaction. Hopefully we can get the York show improving as well. Thanks Ivan & staff for pulling this great show together again.

#1315 5 years ago
Quoted from dropdeadhippie:

Anyone know the details of the getaway supercharger led mod I saw on a game there. The game was amazing all around but had an especially cool lit supercharger loop. I only played once but looked like it lit in a blue chasing pattern at times and a red chasing the other direction other times. Looked very cool.

Quote from Mike_M (owner of getaway at show)
The light effect for the SuperCharger is done via a Pinduino. I love the red lights chasing the ball as it whips around! professorpinball developed and sells Pinduino (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1025-professor-pinball/00514-pinduino-wpc-v03-) and is an all around great guy to boot.

#1316 5 years ago

Just some thoughts, I was there friday and it did not feel crowded to me. I actually felt bad for people showing up saturday because Pins were flying out the door. I agree with Ivan, I never stand in line to play a game. Maybe if one person is ahead of me, but too many pins to just stand there and wait. I did not get to play aerosmith, houdini, or Iron maiden, lines were too long. I did get to play tales of arabian nights, doctor who, and just about every other game. I'll get to the newer games eventually. I did not see 24, walking dead, mustang, or the new melons game. Loved the flintstones and was one of the last people to leave friday after playing it. Some great prices. Some unusual stuff. I picked up caveman playfield and a back glass while there. Very good prices for wall hangers.
Walking through farmers market it just hit me for all the bad news in the media today, america is the greatest country on earth. $8000 pinball machines you can play on all day for $20. Meat, cheese, pies, candy, coffee from all over the world, just amazing. The new playfield hardcovers are the future I believe. Not for purists, but think of the old worn out playfields that can be replaced and the game would have a second life. Also probably faster play too. Genius idea.Take an old game like Flash, replace worn playfield, replace bulbs with LED's. Add shaker and you've got a whole new game. Just my 2 cents.
On a side note, I saw an unplayed star wars so I went up to it. It was in the middle of a 4 player game. I just played a couple balls to see what it was like. When there was someone behind me, I just let ball drain and started to walk away, giving them a chance. I probably looked like a douche, but that was the way I found the game, allready on and 4 players selected. I tried explaining that was how I found it, but it is what it is. Also loved the champion Pub. I had no money this year, but will buy next year for sure.

#1317 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am just glad there is finally photographic evidence to show we are not just one asshat with 2 pinside accounts

Who is Hilton? Green shirt or the big bearded man?

#1318 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Quote from mike_m (owner of getaway at show)
The light effect for the SuperCharger is done via a Pinduino. I love the red lights chasing the ball as it whips around! professorpinball developed and sells Pinduino (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1025-professor-pinball/00514-pinduino-wpc-v03-) and is an all around great guy to boot.

What he said!

Minor point of clarification- ProfessorPinball is the store name, his pinsider ID is @lyonsden.

#1319 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

LMFAO...Wisconsin's own Green Lantern. I thought the other guy was going to pick up the Vampire fully assembled and walk away with it.

#1321 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

LMFAO...Wisconsin's own Green Lantern. I thought the other guy was going to pick up the Vampire fully assembled and walk away with it.

Ha. That's a big boy..

#1322 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think I was unfortunately gone by the time you arrived.
I missed seeing Ran and Casey also (if they made it?)

I did make it on Saturday afternoon but couldn’t find you. Sorry to miss catching up with you and Heidi.

#1323 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I am the guy on the right drinking the jack and coke out of a pepsi cup. Feel free to tell me how much you hate me next time you see me

#1324 5 years ago

Loved Champion Pub... I will own one some day.

#1325 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am the guy on the right drinking the jack and coke out of a pepsi cup. Feel free to tell me how much you hate me next time you see me

Ok got it. Colsond3 is the big guy with the beard, Barenaked ladies guy with the Pepsi. Kaneda in the green.. LOL.

#1326 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Ok got it. colsond3 is the big guy with the beard, Barenaked ladies guy with the Pepsi. Kaneda in the green.. LOL.

nope O-din is the dude with the beard. Guy would not shut up about eager beaver the whole time he was chatting with us. Colson is the douchey looking dude in the green.

#1328 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nope O-din is the dude with the beard. Guy would not shut up about eager beaver the whole time he was chatting with us. Colson is the douchey looking dude in the green.

LMAO...

#1329 5 years ago

This ^^^. You'd better watch Hilton. This thread might get people to actually start to like you.

Can't we get back to talking about Stern's cabinet issues and playfield dimpling?

#1330 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Wisconsin's own Green Lantern.

he's certainly not Wisconsin's Green Hornet.

greenhornet10 (resized).jpggreenhornet10 (resized).jpg

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

You could not buy a single ramp at this show.

I dunno, I picked through a lot of ramps looking for what I was looking for. I hear you though.

#1332 5 years ago

I have over four hours to edit from the Pinfest. I have a small video from the new Atari PONG cocktail table from the show in this ten minute video...and I will be putting out another video by nthe end of the week featuring the amazing home built NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS pinball and talking to the creator at the show! The edited Pinfest will be next week...it will need hours of editing!

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That guy's an asshole, I have it on good authority.

#1334 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Home Run Hilton!

#1335 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

What most people don't seem to understand these days is it is nearly impossible to get a deal on "project machines". I started in the hobby 10 or 12 years ago and I could typically pick up a couple project machines just about every week with little to no effort finding them. I also had a couple "flipper" friends that would drop machines they found off to me at "fair prices". Over the past 3 or 4 years project machines have basically totally dried up. If it wasn't for the couple warehouse deals I made last year I don't think I would have been able to bring anything to the flea market but a few parts this year. I can't even remember the last time I picked up a machine from Craig's List but it had to be two years ago (or more). 10 years ago I was buying 8 or 10 machines some weeks.
These days people who have "junk" or projects for sale think they are worth as much as fully working machines. Dealers have no magical source to buy machines - they are chasing them just like everyone else they just work harder at it! With the "spread" so small between purchase price of project machines and what you can actually sell them for it is hard to justify the time it takes to buy them and get them to a show. Last year I took 56 machines to Allentown and sold 48 of them either at the show or as a result of those machines being at the show. After expenses I made less than $25 per machine on what I sold. How many people want to move 300+ pound pinball machines 5 or 6 times to make a $20 bill?
Allentown flea market has changed because the supply of machines (and even parts) is drying up. I am hoping to finalize things with "Phase 2" of my Virginia deal sometime soon and if that happens I'll have some machines for York & Allentown but if not all I'll have at Allentown in 2019 will be "finished machines". If you can't find stuff to sell at decent prices it is hard to bring machines to a show and sell them in the flea market area!
Times have changed - pinball is much more popular than it has been in years - there are less old machines every year that are just sitting somewhere - so don't expect to see the "Old Allentown Flea Market" in the future. Just be thankful there are still a few of us willing to work hard and dig deep trying to get some project machines to the show each year. 2019 will likely be my last year setting up at the flea market - I am just getting too old to be moving these things out of peoples basements. It has been a blase but it is time for me to step away and let some of the younger guys take over.

This is sadly true. I have been in and out of this hobby several times over the years, as have some of you all, and the halcyon days of sub $1K DMD's and $100 SS's are long gone, never to return. Those were the days lol.

#1336 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I’m glad you guys got some laughs out of the pic I posted. From the tone of quite a few whysnows posts, I pictured him to be the guy who looked like hillbilly JIM the wrestler. I had no idea he was even in the pic until you guys started joking around.
Now if only someone would post a pic of VID1900. Always wondered what he looked like in person...

#1337 5 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Now if only someone would post a pic of VID1900. Always wondered what he looked like in person...

I hear vid1900 looks surprisingly good for a 118 year old. I believe TPF is trying to get him as next year's celebrity.

#1338 5 years ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

I have over four hours to edit from the Pinfest. I have a small video from the new Atari PONG cocktail table from the show in this ten minute video...and I will be putting out another video by nthe end of the week featuring the amazing home built NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS pinball and talking to the creator at the show! The edited Pinfest will be next week...it will need hours of editing! » YouTube video

Thank you for this Todd. Love your vieos. This PONG table was super cool, a surprisingly fun to play.

Chris

#1339 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

This ^^^. You'd better watch Hilton. This thread might get people to actually start to like you.

No chance

#1340 5 years ago

Anyone else with Facebook on their phone notice pinsiders they texted regarding machines popping up on facebook as friend suggestions, or is it just me? Seems cool, but a bit scary at the same time.

#1341 5 years ago
Quoted from halffast:

Anyone else with Facebook on their phone notice pinsiders they texted regarding machines popping up on facebook as friend suggestions, or is it just me? Seems cool, but a bit scary at the same time.

The facebook app can crawl your phone contacts.

#1342 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The facebook app can crawl your phone contacts.

That's why I don't use it, or Messenger.

#1343 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

This was the first year that I have been going where free play games were being turned away at the beginning of the show because there was no room left. It was really great to see all of the rows of games still there on Saturday, no large empty spaces that are usually there in prior years. Probably the best pinfest I have been to yet.

That's a shame because there were several machines in the freeplay area that had no business being there. Machines that weren't even 50% functional and some that were 0% functional (as-in not even turned on). I didn't bring any machines for freeplay this year because I don't live in Allentown anymore but I did last year and made my best effort to make sure the machines functioned and were going to survive two days of play.

I understand that things happen and machines can break but there were some turkeys in the freeplay area that were turds from the second their owners placed them there. More of a project machine for sale than anything a paying attendee would get any amount enjoyment from playing in the "freeplay" area. These type of machines should have been moved out back to the flea market area to make room for people who actually wanted to support the show and brought working machines but were turned away .

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I was just disappointed that there was not a rolling Stones or family Guy for sale.

Well that Space Jam was calling your name...you should have wrapped it up.

#1346 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

After it was shut down about 20 of us went back to my room where we setup my Iron Maiden and a BSD from bluespin. We ended up having 2 small incidents in my room because someone who was very inebriated abused the BSD by picking it up and tilting it out. That was a show of total disrespect to do that to someone else’s machine. Then later on the DC guys brought in an Alien to setup but they were missing the power cord. Unbeknownst to me, they ended up taking the power cord from the BSD without asking bluespin. On the surface and looking from the outside people may think this isn’t a big deal at all. It’s a power cord. However it was more driven behind the fact that one of the guys in the group was the same guy who slammed BSD. So while the DC guys were trying to do a good thing by bringing in the Alien it actually ended up being a bad thing. I wish the whole thing went down differently because we are all pinheads and we shouldn’t have to deal with things like this.
bluespin, my apologies to you that you were involved in this mishap. Thanks for bringing the games, you are an awesome dude and most everyone appreciated your efforts.
That’s all I got. See everyone in York.

djreddog Thanks for organizing the Ramada party room. It was a good effort, but there was a communication breakdown between you and the hotel. The fact that people arrived at the party by walking through the bar area with 12 packs of beer to our game room certainly didn't help. I wasn't going to start a post about that night because I don't want to do anything to reflect negatively on the show, but I feel that I need to defend myself. Since you mentioned that night I'll tell everyone what happened from my perspective. I was the only one not drinking that night so I know that my memory is clear. The day before the party I bought an un-shopped BSD in the flea market for a great price that was playable but needed to be shopped, and a couple of features weren't working. knockerlover approached me and offered to buy my BSD for $200 more than I paid. I turned him down. Friday night I set up the BSD in the game room, and shortly thereafter the game room was shut down and I was asked to bring my game to Chad's room. About ten times through the night knockerlover complained about my BSD, told me how bad it was and kept making offers to buy it.

bjsilverballs was drinking pretty heavily and at one point could not open his beer bottle so he tried to open it by placing the edge of the cap on the TV and was ready to slam his fist on it to open it. Three of us stopped him and opened it for him. He calmed down and a little while later he went over to the BSD to continue playing some $ games. He placed his open beer on the bed and it spilled onto the bed. He played his game and tilted the game when he nudged it. No big deal, I nudge games all the time. I was standing to the left side watching people play my game. I get a lot of enjoyment out of not only playing but watching other people play. After bjsilverballs tilted the game he got pissed off and picked my game up at least 6" off the floor and dropped it. Several of us told him that wasn't cool and he was walked out to the corridor to cool off. knockerlover told me that I'm a snowflake and that these are commercial games and meant to be abused. He also said "Look he's worried that we're going to nudge his game." I told him that I don't care if people nudge my games, but picking them up and dropping them on the floor is not cool. He told me that this is a small industry and I had better watch be careful what I say. bjsilverballs continued drinking beers.

Another guest talked to both of them and said that they should be respectful of other peoples games and be appreciative that someone brought a game to share. knockerlover and bjsilverballs went out to the truck and brought in an Alien and started setting it up. The room was crowded and I was over near the front door where I could not see much. I did see Chad and his wife sitting on the bed between the Iron Maiden and the BSD, maybe three feet from my BSD. knockerlover and bjsilverballs were talking to Chad and his wife and looked back at me and started grinning. A few minutes later the Alien was up and running. knockerlover and bjsilverballs were the only ones playing the Alien. About ten minutes later one of the guests told me that knockerlover and bjsilverballs had stolen the power cord from my game. I told them I wanted it back and they had to turn off Alien. They removed the Alien from the room and knockerlover apologized for "borrowing" the power cord. He didn't apologize for being rude to me or threatening me with his "small industry" comment. I didn't accept his apology.

Quoted from knockerlover:

Yeah bluespin is such a great guy.. that I went out of my way to apologize twice for using his power cord and he still wouldn’t accept my apology.
djreddog helped to move the game in, offered tools, and was part of this whole ordeal. The games were in your room, if there was a problem with what we did, you should have introduced us to the pins actual owner.
Not going to defend whoever “slammed” the game, but Let’s all remember that these are commercial machines.
Thanks to everyone who brought cool games in for free play to share. This is my main objective in the hobby, and try to bring the cool, rare, and nicest games for all to see and play freely.

knockerlover I already covered why I wouldn't accept your apology. djreddog didn't provide the tools, someone else did. Chad (djreddog) didn't have to tell you who owned the BSD. You knew that I was the owner of the BSD as you made me at least ten offers to buy it that night. You brought the Alien in AFTER another guest told you that you should appreciate that I brought a game to share. You didn't have any plans to bring the Alien to the room until it was pointed out that you didn't bring anything. You brought it in just to show me up.

djreddog You said "Unbeknownst to me, they ended up taking the power cord from the BSD without asking bluespin." My BSD was staged between the two queen sized beds and you were sitting with your wife to the left of my game, three feet away from my game. They pulled my game back and removed my power cord with tools three feet away from you but you didn't see anything? I find that hard to believe.

bjsilverballs You did drop my game. You just don't remember what happened very well. I accept your apology.

knockerlover As far as questioning other people for saying that I'm a nice guy, I have helped hundreds of people with searches for games, hard to find nos parts, etc. here on Pinside and on Facebook. I posted 400+ forum articles with links to project pinball machines in the below forum to help fellow collectors.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-project-pins-for-sale-here-cl-ebay-pinside-and-others/page/167#post-4387973

When you take something that doesn't belong to you, without permission, it's called theft not borrowing. If I wasn't told by another guest that someone stole my power cord would I have received it back?

#1347 5 years ago

I’m thinking maybe these afterparties are nice in theory but probably shouldn’t happen. Too many Middle-aged guys on the big weekend away from the wife with unlimited access to cheap beer can’t be trusted.

Next year keep it simple and I’ll see you all at the hotel bar.

#1348 5 years ago

bluespin appreciate your perspective, particularly since you were the only one not drinking.

I never intended to threaten you, and was honestly trying to put it behind us. I hope we still can and hang out at future shows with all this behind us.

#1349 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m thinking maybe these afterparties are nice in theory but probably shouldn’t happen.

I agree given that story.

Quoted from bluespin:

After bjsilverballs tilted the game he got pissed off and picked my game up at least 6" off the floor and dropped it. Several of us told him that wasn't cool and he was walked out to the corridor to cool off. knockerlover told me that I'm a snowflake and that these are commercial games and meant to be abused. He also said "Look he's worried that we're going to nudge his game." I told him that I don't care if people nudge my games, but picking them up and dropping them on the floor is not cool.

And sorry...if that's what really happened, somebody being drunk or not, that is not cool any way you cut it. bluespin is a cool cat and contributes a good amount here, and there's nothing wrong with caring for your games and not wanting people to abuse them. He is obviously a better person than I. If I had one of my games in a similar environment and somebody picked it up and dropped it or tried a death save, they'd be getting my foot up their ass.

I actually saw a guy pick up a FT in free play a foot or so in the air last year when his ball got stuck, and drop it. I went down and intervened, and that wasn't even my game. It's just called respecting someone else's property....or common sense.

Hopefully everyone can move past it so we can party it up next year...not at the Ramada.

#1350 5 years ago

I wish I had been there this year, but I had a giant fouquing deadline at my giant fouquing job and I couldn't get away.

It would be fun to meet some pinsiders.

Don't worry if you flamed me on here, I won't care. I work in heavy construction, we don't have feelings.

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown/page/27?hl=ruzeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.