000-pinskys60 (resized).jpg
IMG_1133 (resized).JPG
IMG_1934 (resized).PNG
Met Granny (resized).jpg
greenhornet10 (resized).jpg
20180508_132738 (resized).jpg
20180508_131221 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 30.
#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This shit is boring and none of us care. You've both presented your sides, and it's pointless to try to assign "blame" at this point. Please move on. In the grand scheme of things this is extremely small potatoes.

I agree 100% Or at least if you want to get into "he said - she said" debate just start a new post. One transaction between two people seems to be taking up a lot of space no one really cares to keep reading about.

#1202 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

just hold in start for a few seconds and it will result to player 1, ball 1, single player game.

Not on older games, or could have been disabled on newer

#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

no one really cares to keep reading about.

I care to keep reading. Best part of these threads.

#1204 5 years ago

I'll get this back on track. Anybody know any good hotels to stay at?

It was a good show, and Friday was definitely busier than Saturday. I can't list everyone I ran into, a ton of Pinsiders this year. Good to meet a few of you that I've never met in person before. And thanks to everyone who checked out the Vampire and posted comments about it. Much appreciated.

#1205 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

It was a good show, and Friday was definitely busier than Saturday. I can't list everyone I ran into, a ton of Pinsiders this year. Good to meet a few of you that I've never met in person before. And thanks to everyone who checked out the Vampire and posted comments about it. Much appreciated.

Heard the Ramada had a petting zoo....Guess the "more of a shelter than a hotel" comment from TripAdvisor was on point, lol...

#1206 5 years ago

My wife said HELL NO to the Ramada. Her corporate HQ is in Allentown and she knows the in and outs of the area and that the Ramada is to be avoided. The Holiday Inn Express across from Dorney Park is very nice and conveniently located only 4 miles away from the fairgrounds.

#1207 5 years ago

This was my favorite sign of the show.

IMG_7750 (resized).JPGIMG_7750 (resized).JPG

#1208 5 years ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Ok, so now for the REAL story of what happened with this deal. Prior to the show I responded to mcandrew's post about his Atlantis, see post #821 of this thread. According to the post the game is "Restored" and is missing the submarine. I contacted him and told him that "if the machine is in the condition you claim it to be, then I will take it". I was the one who actually offered up the $100 paypal deposit. He accepted and we spoke briefly over the phone where he confirmed the machine's condition and talked logistics. I told him I would be at the show on Friday and Saturday as one of the vendors and that I would pick it up from his friend.
Fast forward to Friday morning. My wife and I were one of the vendors selling off some machines and various pinball parts etc (she was the cute tiny one that is always smiling). We arrived at around 9am to start setting up our booth. It was crazy from the get go, as any other vendor there that day could agree. It wasn't until later on that afternoon that I managed to sneak away to go try and find the machine to check it out. I wasn't able to find it, and mcandrew mentioned that it had moved spots. I got called back to my booth and was really just tied up until the end of the day when they kicked us out at 9pm.
The next morning was a lot slower so I finally managed to find this machine over at one of the flea market vendors. It was wrapped up and standing on it's back. There wasn't anyone around the area, so I took a few minutes to look the machine over. There was visible water damage on the bottom of the machine.. red flag #1. The legs that were next to the machine were in terrible shape and rusted over, red flag #2. Once I finally managed to find the young man who was currently in care of the machine I asked if we could set it up so that I could test it out. He was pretty reluctant to do so... red flag #3. Finally he wheeled it over to another booth to see about setting it up. I asked him if he had some wrap so that we could fold down the backbox after I got done testing it and he said he didn't. So before I went any further I wanted to go see if I could secure some. I told him I would be back.
I got called back to my booth to tend to some more customers and such as it was starting to get busy again. While I brought some stretch film with me, I was running really low and I had a couple machines sold that I wanted to make sure I had enough to get them properly wrapped up for the buyers. Once they were taken care of I realized I had enough so I went back a couple times to find the machine back in the corner by itself and the young man was no where to be found. I would have also liked to bring it back to my own booth to set it up and test it out, especially now that I finally had some space cleared up to make room for it. So I went back to my booth and got busy again and at this point decided to contact mcandrew to let him now that I would be passing on the machine because I wasn't able to thoroughly test it out (this was 10am on Saturday BTW, not on Sunday as he posted). I suggested to him that he have his friend set it up so that people could play it and that it would surely sell for more than what he was originally asking.
Later on when things slowed down again I kept going back to check on the machine to see if it was ever set up. Of course it wasn't, just sitting in the corner next to some other junk. Had it been, then I would have tested it and still completed the purchase had everything checked out. I sent additional messages to mcandrew telling him the machine was still not set up and suggested he have is friend do so. Later on Saturday afternoon I checked in with him once again to ask if it had sold yet and he told me it had. I congratulated him on the sale and was glad to hear that he wouldn't run into a situation where he would have to get it shipped back to him. Had that been the case I was thinking of making another offer to buy the machine for a lower price for an "as is" transaction.
Long story short, the original deal was for a machine that was in a particular condition. I have never done business with this mcandrew fellow before so it would be delusional to think anybody would spend money on a machine from a stranger without testing it out first. For all I knew the machine didn't work and the boards were all missing or fried. The unfortunate thing is I really did want the machine, this wasn't a case where I just changed my mind or refused to buy it just because it couldn't be put back together. I have been in this hobby for 15 years and there are plenty of people who can attest to that fact that I am not that kind of guy. I would however apologize for not being able to get to the machine sooner on Friday, but like I said Friday was super nuts. My wife and I didn't even get to take a break to get a meal until around 6pm.
My suggestion though would be that before you go posting stuff all around a public forum about somebody, get your facts straight. To everyone who replied to this guy's post, interesting that none of you asked to hear the other side of the story. Since half of you are from the same area as him, its pretty obvious you are all friends. So I suppose that would be the reason you so quickly jumped on the bandwagon to label me as if I was some kind of world class scammer and major douchebag. Better yet, mcandrew, next time why don't you just handle things in private like a professional. It is something a classy person would do, rather than publicly bash another person over something as trivial as this event was. Sheesh... you would have thought I went to his house and stole 3 of his machines and kicked his dog on the way out.
ps... flynnibus.. I hope you enjoy that 3rd magnet mod I sold you. You seemed happy with the transaction and our interaction so I guess I am not that huge of a monster you have all made me out to be after all.

I have no idea who "mcandrew" is and I agree that if someone is calling out another pinsider than BOTH sides need to be heard. That being said, I'm not sure why you expect to receive a deposit back. In this industry, there is SO much room for what is "mint" vs "worn" - that's just the nature of the beast. However if you give money for someone to hold it for you and then you decide to back out, that's on you. Next time don't put a deposit down and go see the machine immediately otherwise you're holding up a potential sale. Sure it's a gamble but that's the name of the game.

We're talking $100 btw - I really think this is a no brainer case but unfortunately seller - you will likely lose due to PP policies.

Levi - I'm not sure why these two can't explain their case in a general thread called Pinfest 2018? I'm right there with you if this goes on for pages but I doubt it will. This thing needs to be breath a little bit and I'm sure that will be it. I say let these guys get their points out and move on.

#1209 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

It was a good show, and Friday was definitely busier than Saturday.

By a landslide!

They really need to change the show hours.. it would be really awful if someone planned a trip thinking 4pm onward would be worth their trip.

#1210 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Next year will be AirBnB

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I say let these guys get their points out and move on.

They have both said their points, and at this point it will just get stupid like it always does.

Sorry you couldn't make the show. Right by the tournament bank there was an Alien! And it even seemed to be working most of the weekend!

$9K oBO - don't know if it sold.

#1212 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Stayed at Comfort suites despite all of the problems faced last year. Had no issues, only complaint is the weak water pressure for the shower.

#1213 5 years ago

Allentown is the Wall Street of pinball shows. Do a deal, turn on your heels, do another. It’s a loss for the players however. Never seen a show with so many games pulled several hours before the end... and a Saturday evening, no less.

More like “Allentown Pinball Flea Market w/playable titles”... but still a good time. Will be back next year.

#1214 5 years ago

Had a great time at the show this year. The freeplay was packed with games and people. Got to play some of the newer titles and wow - 8 Iron Maiden's setup! That meant shorter lines to play - thanks!!

Shout out to my new American bud's.... Great to meet you guys and will look forward to seeing you next year!

tomdrum I can bring you more Canadian beer next time!
WeatherbyMAG don't worry, I will have shrink wrap next year too buddy!
cjpins Thanks for the Moosehead and great to chat with your son Chris.
@Dr.Dave Nice chatting with you!

Too bad the Ramada got busted up by the po-po but we still managed to have a great time smuggling in our Yuengling's into the bar after the shut down and chatting with the Pin Sound dude from France.

Farmer's market was on point all weekend as usual. Bada Bing, Billy's Cheese steak pretzel wraps and fresh hot pretzels right out of the oven, Dan's BBQ Wing Sampler, NY Pickle - damn those were good!, Mink's licorice bag for the wife & kids, heck I even tried the Sushi and the Mediterranean place, it was all good!!!

Anyone up for some Dried Beef with cheese squares and garlic stuffed olives? LOL That combo made for some potent scents later!

Seeya next year! Can hardly wait!

Lee

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from Chnillapoil:

Next year will be AirBnB

Sorry, another hotel post, but the Renaissance was awesome. ..Very modern, clean, Everything was perfect... parking was free. Walked to Fegleys for an awesome dinner/beers....then to Benjamin's across from hotel for very nice outside bar, with blowjob bartenders (they didn't ruin it for us)....It's not just the show like some mention ("I don't know why all the hotel talk, after-party talk, bar talk etc") it's about the total Pinfest experience! I'm not local, so it's ten hrs of Driving (total) I'm going to hang out with good people, and have fun on my mini-escape from life.... Definitely enjoyed my hang time with the NE crew!

#1216 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Had a great time at the show this year. The freeplay was packed with games and people. Got to play some of the newer titles and wow - 8 Iron Maiden's setup! That meant shorter lines to play - thanks!!
Shout out to my new American bud's.... Great to meet you guys and will look forward to seeing you next year!
tomdrum I can bring you more Canadian beer next time!
weatherbymag don't worry, I will have shrink wrap next year too buddy!
cjpins Thanks for the Moosehead and great to chat with your son Chris.
Too bad the Ramada got busted up by the po-po but we still managed to have a great time smuggling in our Yuengling's into the bar after the shut down and chatting with the Pin Sound dude from France.
Farmer's market was on point all weekend as usual. Bada Bing, Billy's Cheese steak pretzel wraps and fresh hot pretzels right out of the oven, Dan's BBQ Wing Sampler, NY Pickle - damn those were good!, Mink's licorice bag for the wife & kids, heck I even tried the Sushi and the Mediterranean place, it was all good!!!
Anyone up for some Dried Beef with cheese squares and garlic stuffed olives? LOL That combo made for some potent scents later!
Seeya next year! Can hardly wait!
Lee

Every goddamn year I forget how slow the vietnamese booth is and end up waiting 25 minutes for some pork and crispy rolls. I'll probably do it again next year.

Current faves are the pot pie and BBQ wings at Dan's.

#1217 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They have both said their points, and at this point it will just get stupid like it always does.
Sorry you couldn't make the show. Right by the tournament bank there was an Alien! And it even seemed to be working most of the weekend!

The show seemed to be a lot of fun. I'm sorry I missed it too. Next year I will plan on attending. Something tells me you'll be there too. Beer on me if so.

Seems like Iron Maiden was a big winner. It's been quiet on the Alice Cooper front though - wasn't that game there and if so what was the buzz? I know you have a pretty good finger on the pinball pulse.

#1218 5 years ago

I always forget how I hate driving around there. Want to make a left? Forget about it. You must go right to go left. Whoever came up with that should be publicly tarred and feathered.

#1219 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The show seemed to be a lot of fun. I'm sorry I missed it too. Next year I will plan on attending. Something tells me you'll be there too. Beer on me if so.
Seems like Iron Maiden was a big winner. It's been quiet on the Alice Cooper front though - wasn't that game there and if so what was the buzz? I know you have a pretty good finger on the pinball pulse.

I was pretty preoccupied with the tournament and moving my games around, and coordinating some deals for other folks. Bowen Kerins took an Alice Cooper home with him for the work he's doing on the project so that's all I got for you there.

Tons of Maidens and they were all getting heavy play!

#1220 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I may not be Levi, but I did play ACNC. It looks drop dead gorgeous, the artwork on the playfield and cabinet looks fantastic. I really enjoyed the machine, and I am very close to pulling the trigger on one. It was a little hard to hear with everything going on at the show, but what I did hear sounded good. The flippers were a little weak due to low power at the show but the shots still felt good to me, they are tight though.

#1221 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This shit is boring and none of us care. You've both presented your sides, and it's pointless to try to assign "blame" at this point. Please move on. In the grand scheme of things this is extremely small potatoes.

Hear hear

#1222 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Was cheaper on Saturday. I don't think it sold. Everything was working, except Xeno head was turned off the whole weekend. You can still lock the balls and play normal, but it would not grab them. Some people that I played with, had no idea the head should grab the ball for locks hehe.

#1223 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've never waited on line to play a game at Allentown in my life. There's usually dozens of unoccupied games at any given time.

Different strokes Levi. In the morning I was helping Pingraffix set up and once the show opened if I wanted to play the brand new titles I had to wait a few times. In this case it was for Star Wars which I had never run across before so my curiosity had me waiting.

#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

... with blowjob bartenders ....

Based on this review: my next year hotel!

#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from splitskull:

Everything was working, except Xeno head was turned off the whole weekend.

I asked the guy if the Xeno head was working and he said Yeah!

#1226 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I asked the guy if the Xeno head was working and he said Yeah!

spfxted not sure who you asked but the xenohead was disabled because of how they tend to break themselves if not closely monitored, and we weren't sure of the state of this games head as it was recently purchased and the heads are flaky buggers.

#1227 5 years ago

I had a great time this year as always. I got to meet and buy a Megatouch from pinball mike217. What a nice guy and a great deal. Anyone looking to do business with him in the future should have no worries.
Bought some mods from Matt at back alley creations. I have bought stuff from him in the past but this show seemed to die early on Saturday and things were slow enough I actually had a chance to bust his chops a little. then he ended up buying a little something from me great guy and very creative.
One of my favorite things about this hobby is all the cool people I get to meet. I got to hang out with some old friends and some new and each year the group seems to get bigger of like-minded people I want to share a drink with and hang out. Sure there are the weirdos and pompous asses (you know who you are ), but we are a pretty cool group of people when it comes down to it. Looking forward to pintastic next, see you all there.

#1228 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

spfxted not sure who you asked but the xenohead was disabled because of how they tend to break themselves if not closely monitored, and we weren't sure of the state of this games head as it was recently purchased and the heads are flaky buggers.

Oh, sorry. Ok there was only one guy there when I was looking at it. If it wasn't you, I apologize.

#1229 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I may not be Levi, but I did play ACNC. It looks drop dead gorgeous, the artwork on the playfield and cabinet looks fantastic. I really enjoyed the machine, and I am very close to pulling the trigger on one. It was a little hard to hear with everything going on at the show, but what I did hear sounded good. The flippers were a little weak due to low power at the show but the shots still felt good to me, they are tight though.

glad to hear! I'm excite to hear more - anyone else play it and if so how was it?

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oh, sorry. Ok there was only one guy there when I was looking at it. If it wasn't you, I apologize.

no worries, just didn't want people thinking I was spreading false info!

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Yeah I had 2 or 3 people playing multiple games by themselves. The worst one was the guy playing all 4 players on the Star Wars in front of Cointaker. I was waiting behind him and watching the GOTG game going on next to him when I thought to myself this guy must be really good. I peek over his shoulder and realize I'm waiting for a 4 player game! I shot him a puzzled look and he said he just stumbled upon the 4 players already punched in. He instantly drained and left.

This happened to me twice, where I walked up to an available game and realized it had been started on 4 player and left mid game. Rather then resetting it, I just played it out and walked away afterwards. I'm sure someone may have spotted me and thought I had pushed in 4 players myself but that wasn't the case. Perhaps this happened to others as well?

#1232 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Allentown is the Wall Street of pinball shows. Do a deal, turn on your heels, do another. It’s a loss for the players however. Never seen a show with so many games pulled several hours before the end... and a Saturday evening, no less.

Always a thing. The show is more a 'swap meet w/free play' than say shows like TPF you may be used to which are more like an exposition. Lots of different variations over the years to incentivize and keep games on the show floor. I think they seemed to have found a good balance as Friday the floor stayed pretty full, and Saturday the ranks were still very full. But come end of the day Saturday... it's going to be empty.

What was different this year IMO was the crowd level across the board on saturday.

#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I stayed at the Renaissance, it was a super nice hotel and got it for $90 with the priceline name your own price feature. SCORE

#1234 5 years ago

May fav BG lol.

9712B1DE-5308-4757-A8C7-30B075117EB8 (resized).jpeg9712B1DE-5308-4757-A8C7-30B075117EB8 (resized).jpeg

#1235 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

glad to hear! I'm excite to hear more - anyone else play it and if so how was it?

I was able to put up five games. I would say it's the best game from Spooky yet, at least IMO. I like the PF layout, and unlike some of the other games from them, like AMH that seems "empty", ACNC is jam packed and has a good amount of shots. Art package is spectacular, especially if you like horror-themed pins as I do. Hats off to Charlie and his crew. They did a good job on this one, I just wish I was more of an Alice Cooper fan.

The only downside playing in that type of atmosphere is that I didn't get a good grasp on the audio, callouts or music. Plus Chad had his damn Grand Lizard cranked all the way up, and I'm still hearing that music in my head. JK dude.

#1236 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Can I come play it?! I am in Quakertown
I didn't see it at the show. Congratulations on the pickup!
If anyone cares, the Capcom Airborne got 326 plays on Saturday.
Chris

SilverUnicorn

For sure! I am in coopersburg (near our ice cream shop, www.theinsidescoop.com) Let me know when you are in the area.

#1237 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

My wife and I played ACNC and playing it reaffirmed to us that we just don't enjoy playing Spooky pinball machines. We actually never walked away from a Spooky game saying, "that was fun". I guess those games just aren't what we look for in a game, that's all.

#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My wife and I played ACNC and playing it reaffirmed to us that we just don't enjoy playing Spooky pinball machines. We actually never walked away from a Spooky game saying, "that was fun". I guess those games just aren't what we look for in a game, that's all.

Interesting - I'm assuming you didn't like TnA? Anything in particular about ACNC you didn't like?

#1239 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I stayed at the Motel 6.

MVIMG_20180505_081820 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180505_081820 (resized).jpg

that was really dumb

#1240 5 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I stayed at the Motel 6.

And had clothes on for the picture in the mirror.

LTG : )

#1241 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bhahaha

#1242 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hahahaha...Lloyd. Always observant. Yet I did glance back at the photo to see if you were right. If he wasn't and Alex didn't realize it before posting, that would've been funny as hell.

#1243 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yep we feel the same way and acnc was no different... just not fun . Went in with high hopes of ordering one but it just wasnt that good or fun to shoot, much like rz imo.. Madien was fun and will b getting a premium.

#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I stayed at the Motel 6.

that was really dumb

Looks better than where I stayed the 2nd night because I decided the day before the show to extend my stay. 1st night at the wingate was great but I unfortunately chose the Knights Inn the 2nd night.

#1245 5 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Looks better than where I stayed the 2nd night because I decided the day before the show to extend my stay. 1st night at the wingate was great but I unfortunately chose the Knights Inn the 2nd night.

You really should have known better.

I mean, when half the yelp reviews are written by actual bedbugs you know there's a problem.

#1246 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You really should have known better.
I mean, when half the yelp reviews are written by actual bedbugs you know there's a problem.

I actually stripped off the comforter put on my sweats and slept on top of the sheets. Would have been safer in the car.

#1247 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Plus Chad had his damn Grand Lizard cranked all the way up, and I'm still hearing that music in my head. JK dude.

Bunga de dop de bunga de bop de boppa bada boppa bada boppa bada....

Still hearing it too.

#1248 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I played it a bunch of times, it was really fun and looks amazing. Lots of great shots, couldn't hear the callouts well and definitely noticed the flippers being a bit weak later in the day - may have been all day but I just didn't notice until later. It was hard to make the left ramp when needed but a little more power and it'd be no problem. That left scoop though! You know how fast the TNA scoop kicks out? This isn't much different except there's no flasher or anything to indicate if it's coming so a center drain is often the result unless a slap save can grab it. I had the best luck just flipping the right flipper a couple times when I knew it was coming so my timing would be right. If the tilt bob was in it, it was loose as hell so that at least helped.

#1249 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Hi Robert, it was great to meet you and talk to you and your wife. The pile certainly shrunk by the end of the day so I hope you were able to move as much as you could

Great to meet you too Flynn! Yes, we sold everything we really wanted. We didn't come back with any of the machines we brought to the show that that is the important thing!

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Hey! I remember that booth. She was very nice. She tried to sell me a house! I bought a couple of your parts cases. I'm glad you brought those.

Yes, leave it to a real estate agent to try and sell houses at a pinball show! Great meeting you, enjoy the parts as I had no idea what else to do with them and it would have taken me a lifetime to try and sell each of them individually!

There are 1,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown/page/25?hl=acaciolo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.