IMG_3135 (resized).JPG
IMG_3139 (resized).JPG
IMG_3136 (resized).JPG
IMG_20180204_140831 (resized).jpg
IMG_6832.JPG (resized).jpeg
IMG_6831.JPG (resized).jpeg
f03f952c040dc5a93cc2a1637dba50f62edf12d2 (resized).jpg
0711172024 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#206 3 years ago

Good morning,

Has anyone played around with diffusing fiber optics tubes along with Pinduino ?

Specifically, I recently acquired a Tron Pro, and it has been fitted with a RF remote control fiber optics tubes on the ramps, which cycle but do not react to gameplay. This uses a RGB fiber light source such as this: http://www.ledlightingfiberoptic.com/en/product/12VDC-24GHz-5W-RGB-LED-Fiber-Optic-Illuminator-for-fiber-optic-lighting.html (well not quite identical, but principle is the same).

I've been trying to find a control unit that would have a standardized protocol, as it would allow to control it through a pinduino, but could not find anything.

My alternative would be to use a single adressable led and define it as single led output in Pinduino, but checking first if anything had been done already.

Now you could ask why don't i use complete ledstrip in the ramps, it's just that I prefer the look of fiber optics, better integrated and more in line with the theme for my taste.

Regards

1 month later
#208 3 years ago

That was my conclusion indeed, I went the PinLightShield route which has two 12V RGB output and a few adressable led output depending on how I use the input.

Still need to assemble it though...

2 months later
#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

I'm going to order a couple Pinduino so I can have a play.
Can the Pinduino be programmed to have the same effect as OCDLED and Afterglow boards? Where the bulbs are controlled up and down to look like incandesant bulb "glow"
Just curious

Pinduino does not control the original inserts. It's designed to control WS2812 ledstrip, so you would need to replace your inserts by a WS2812 "chain" (I believe there is an example of this on Pinduino github), and you would need to program it to control it. So it's not at all like ledocd or afterglow which essentially acts as voltage-to-PWM bridges

1 month later
#220 3 years ago

FYI, here's something I found, very useful:

https://www.led-genial.de/Power-Dot-3W-WS2811-kompatibel

Can be used to light fiber optics cables

On another note, has anyone worked on Monster Bash with Pinduino ? I'm assisting a friend (in France), and he's not very well versed in SW, so it would be best if a ready to use INO was available (I checked the github, did not see one)

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I have not had the chance to work up a MB for the pinduino. I'd happy to draft a program based on looking at the flasher table and watching some gameplay videos, and then could hop on Zoom to do refinements to the code. Would just need your friend to be able to download code, install it, playtest, and give me feedback. Then I could modify the code (live) and then would download, install, playtest, etc. I've done this several times with folks and it usually takes an hour or two to get the the effects dialed in. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Wow that would be super nice of you. Let me propose him.
Only concern though... I'm not sure he speaks english, and his Arduino skills are limited. And I don't have a MB either. Ok, that's a little bit more than one concern though.

But let me try to see how to work this out

I can also assist him in any case, just need to spend some time on the API

(sidenote .... there are a few undocumented calls still unless I'm mistaken )
(sidenote 2 ... unless I missed it, I did not see for a way to define segments in your code, just like WS2812FX library operates ? That would allow some very nice ledstrip management scheme, allowing to drive multiple daisy chained ledstrip from a single output)

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

There are probably more than a few functions that aren't documented. . . the header files for the addressable strip should have them listed, and let me know if you find one that you'd like documented.
As far as code segements. . . shoot me a PM so I can better understand what you are wanting to do. You can get the underlying object to control the LEDs any way that you like. The Pinduino library is mostly to make it easy to run functions for various lighting effects, but I (and others) can go deeper to do more custom things that I have programmed. As far daisy chaining. . . I wrote up some objects for doing that for LED matrix panels, where you define the start and stop of each one so you can make 8-bit looking graphics with them (https://github.com/elyons/pinduino/blob/master/src/AddressableMatrix.h)
In any case, happy to chat and see if I can get the code updated to help you do what you want.

As noted, WS2812FX library is perfect in that respect. Essentially you can define any section of a given ledstrip to be a segment, and you can assign a separate animation, turn it on or off. You can even define several segment, each with it's own animation, on the same section of the ledstrip, and enable depending on usage.

So that would allow for ex to daisy chain apron, GI, special effects, and drive them from a single output easily (you would simply assign each segment)

Quoted from pinballjj:

i have played around with lighting a fiber optic fiber ( side glow) using a single addressable led, controlled by the pinduino, it works ok as you can select different colors and effects such as flashing, what i found is it is hard to maintain the optic fiber super bright as you extend the length of the fiber without adding more leds along the length . in the dark the single led looks good but in the pinball with multiple other lights it look dim
do you think the " power dot" you linked would be a brighter source ?

A single WS2812 led is 0.3W, so yes this power dot is 10x brighter...

I suspect you have a Tron, just like I do If so, since TimeBandit left the scene, I have a cool idea to drive the fiber optics depending on gameplay, PM me if you want to discuss this

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 12.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 132.00
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinduino-v03-interactive-control-of-leds?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.