IMG_3135 (resized).JPG
IMG_3139 (resized).JPG
IMG_3136 (resized).JPG
IMG_20180204_140831 (resized).jpg
IMG_6832.JPG (resized).jpeg
IMG_6831.JPG (resized).jpeg
f03f952c040dc5a93cc2a1637dba50f62edf12d2 (resized).jpg
0711172024 (resized).jpg
There are 231 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

I just installed a pinduino mod in my Getaway High Speed 2, and it's easily one of my favorite mods for any of my machines.

@lyonsden was super helpful while I tried to figure out my issues with my DIY kit. I may even have to mess around with some of the programming myself just for fun!

8 months later
#202 3 years ago

Here are a couple of setups I've done recently. These are local friends that drop off a game that I get a chance to strip down and refurbish. While putting the back together, I get a chance to totally outfit the game with addressable LEDs. One of my favorite things to do is to do the GI on games. Overall, straightforward to do, but definitely for people who aren't afraid spending a few hours working on their game (you need to take out the existing GI).

#203 3 years ago

Godzilla!!!

Damn -- I love this game. Hard to find and always a pleasure to get some time on one (great game if you like multiball).

This has two Pinduinos -- one to control GI and a set of LEDs on the ramps that shine across the playfield, and a second to control LEDs on the outside of the ramps that shine into the ramps. I really like how this turned out!

Code:
GI + inside of ramps facing across the playfield: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/Godzilla_GI_ramps
Ramps (facing into the ramps): https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/Godzilla_ramps

#205 3 years ago

Cool, I just got a Spiderman and was wondering if anything was available.

3 months later
#206 3 years ago

Good morning,

Has anyone played around with diffusing fiber optics tubes along with Pinduino ?

Specifically, I recently acquired a Tron Pro, and it has been fitted with a RF remote control fiber optics tubes on the ramps, which cycle but do not react to gameplay. This uses a RGB fiber light source such as this: http://www.ledlightingfiberoptic.com/en/product/12VDC-24GHz-5W-RGB-LED-Fiber-Optic-Illuminator-for-fiber-optic-lighting.html (well not quite identical, but principle is the same).

I've been trying to find a control unit that would have a standardized protocol, as it would allow to control it through a pinduino, but could not find anything.

My alternative would be to use a single adressable led and define it as single led output in Pinduino, but checking first if anything had been done already.

Now you could ask why don't i use complete ledstrip in the ramps, it's just that I prefer the look of fiber optics, better integrated and more in line with the theme for my taste.

Regards

1 month later
#207 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
Has anyone played around with diffusing fiber optics tubes along with Pinduino ?
Specifically, I recently acquired a Tron Pro, and it has been fitted with a RF remote control fiber optics tubes on the ramps, which cycle but do not react to gameplay. This uses a RGB fiber light source such as this: http://www.ledlightingfiberoptic.com/en/product/12VDC-24GHz-5W-RGB-LED-Fiber-Optic-Illuminator-for-fiber-optic-lighting.html (well not quite identical, but principle is the same).
I've been trying to find a control unit that would have a standardized protocol, as it would allow to control it through a pinduino, but could not find anything.
My alternative would be to use a single adressable led and define it as single led output in Pinduino, but checking first if anything had been done already.
Now you could ask why don't i use complete ledstrip in the ramps, it's just that I prefer the look of fiber optics, better integrated and more in line with the theme for my taste.
Regards

I have not tried using this (or similar) with the pinduino. Overall, the pinduino may be overkill as I'd bet the controller for this is just setting RGB values for the single light source (rather than sending data that goes down to program individual LEDs in an addressable strip. In any case, if you found some data sheets for the light controller, I can take a look.

#208 3 years ago

That was my conclusion indeed, I went the PinLightShield route which has two 12V RGB output and a few adressable led output depending on how I use the input.

Still need to assemble it though...

2 months later
#209 3 years ago

Just picked up a pinduino for my getaway..Lyonsden is amazing!! What a professional.Super fast shipping,and checked 2 c if everything was good..Have a new favorite on pinside!! Thanks !! Keep flipping..

1 week later
#210 3 years ago

I'm going to order a couple Pinduino so I can have a play.

Can the Pinduino be programmed to have the same effect as OCDLED and Afterglow boards? Where the bulbs are controlled up and down to look like incandesant bulb "glow"

Just curious

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

Can the Pinduino be programmed to have the same effect as OCDLED and Afterglow boards? Where the bulbs are controlled up and down to look like incandesant bulb "glow"
Just curious

Thanks for the interest! You can program the LEDs any way that you wish. There are fade in a fade out functions in the code that have a variable for setting the time it takes to get to a specific brightness. A fill list of functions is available: https://github.com/elyons/pinduino

Of course, post any more questions you have.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

Just curious

Pinduino does not control the original inserts. It's designed to control WS2812 ledstrip, so you would need to replace your inserts by a WS2812 "chain" (I believe there is an example of this on Pinduino github), and you would need to program it to control it. So it's not at all like ledocd or afterglow which essentially acts as voltage-to-PWM bridges

1 week later
#213 3 years ago

Other than playing the game, is there a way to test the Pinduino for CFTBL? Thanks.

#214 3 years ago

Has there been any updates to the Tron code for these?

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Pinduino does not control the original inserts. It's designed to control WS2812 ledstrip, so you would need to replace your inserts by a WS2812 "chain" (I believe there is an example of this on Pinduino github), and you would need to program it to control it. So it's not at all like ledocd or afterglow which essentially acts as voltage-to-PWM bridges

Yup, all understood now. Pinduinos are here and built, so I will get them working in BoP first, and then get to work on ideas for Hurricane. Such a massive ramp!

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

The latest code is on the github page (https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/). The hardware and software is open source so you're free to modify as you see fit.

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Other than playing the game, is there a way to test the Pinduino for CFTBL? Thanks.

Yes.

You need a 5V/12V power source to power the Pinduino board - You can make a JST XH plug to power the board. The board is marked at the power header for the 12V/5V/GND pins.

You can then individually take each pin of the pass-through plug/header (where the Pinduino plugs into the pinball machine ) to Ground (touch the power source GND to each pin) to see the effect on the LED strips of the kit. This mimics the game's signals read by the Pinduino.

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Quoted from zene10:

The latest code is on the github page (https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/). The hardware and software is open source so you're free to modify as you see fit.

Code gets updated periodically (whenever inspiration strikes or new effects get written), and as Zene10 mentioned, they are all up on GitHub (including the change log) and are open source for your to modify.

1 month later
#220 3 years ago

FYI, here's something I found, very useful:

https://www.led-genial.de/Power-Dot-3W-WS2811-kompatibel

Can be used to light fiber optics cables

On another note, has anyone worked on Monster Bash with Pinduino ? I'm assisting a friend (in France), and he's not very well versed in SW, so it would be best if a ready to use INO was available (I checked the github, did not see one)

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

On another note, has anyone worked on Monster Bash with Pinduino ? I'm assisting a friend (in France), and he's not very well versed in SW, so it would be best if a ready to use INO was available (I checked the github, did not see one)

I have not had the chance to work up a MB for the pinduino. I'd happy to draft a program based on looking at the flasher table and watching some gameplay videos, and then could hop on Zoom to do refinements to the code. Would just need your friend to be able to download code, install it, playtest, and give me feedback. Then I could modify the code (live) and then would download, install, playtest, etc. I've done this several times with folks and it usually takes an hour or two to get the the effects dialed in. If interested, shoot me a PM.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I have not had the chance to work up a MB for the pinduino. I'd happy to draft a program based on looking at the flasher table and watching some gameplay videos, and then could hop on Zoom to do refinements to the code. Would just need your friend to be able to download code, install it, playtest, and give me feedback. Then I could modify the code (live) and then would download, install, playtest, etc. I've done this several times with folks and it usually takes an hour or two to get the the effects dialed in. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Wow that would be super nice of you. Let me propose him.
Only concern though... I'm not sure he speaks english, and his Arduino skills are limited. And I don't have a MB either. Ok, that's a little bit more than one concern though.

But let me try to see how to work this out

I can also assist him in any case, just need to spend some time on the API

(sidenote .... there are a few undocumented calls still unless I'm mistaken )
(sidenote 2 ... unless I missed it, I did not see for a way to define segments in your code, just like WS2812FX library operates ? That would allow some very nice ledstrip management scheme, allowing to drive multiple daisy chained ledstrip from a single output)

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Wow that would be super nice of you. Let me propose him.
Only concern though... I'm not sure he speaks english, and his Arduino skills are limited. And I don't have a MB either. Ok, that's a little bit more than one concern though.
But let me try to see how to work this out
I can also assist him in any case, just need to spend some time on the API
(sidenote .... there are a few undocumented calls still unless I'm mistaken )
(sidenote 2 ... unless I missed it, I did not see for a way to define segments in your code, just like WS2812FX library operates ? That would allow some very nice ledstrip management scheme, allowing to drive multiple daisy chained ledstrip from a single output)

There are probably more than a few functions that aren't documented. . . the header files for the addressable strip should have them listed, and let me know if you find one that you'd like documented.

As far as code segements. . . shoot me a PM so I can better understand what you are wanting to do. You can get the underlying object to control the LEDs any way that you like. The Pinduino library is mostly to make it easy to run functions for various lighting effects, but I (and others) can go deeper to do more custom things that I have programmed. As far daisy chaining. . . I wrote up some objects for doing that for LED matrix panels, where you define the start and stop of each one so you can make 8-bit looking graphics with them (https://github.com/elyons/pinduino/blob/master/src/AddressableMatrix.h)

In any case, happy to chat and see if I can get the code updated to help you do what you want.

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

i have played around with lighting a fiber optic fiber ( side glow) using a single addressable led, controlled by the pinduino, it works ok as you can select different colors and effects such as flashing, what i found is it is hard to maintain the optic fiber super bright as you extend the length of the fiber without adding more leds along the length . in the dark the single led looks good but in the pinball with multiple other lights it look dim

do you think the " power dot" you linked would be a brighter source ?

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

There are probably more than a few functions that aren't documented. . . the header files for the addressable strip should have them listed, and let me know if you find one that you'd like documented.
As far as code segements. . . shoot me a PM so I can better understand what you are wanting to do. You can get the underlying object to control the LEDs any way that you like. The Pinduino library is mostly to make it easy to run functions for various lighting effects, but I (and others) can go deeper to do more custom things that I have programmed. As far daisy chaining. . . I wrote up some objects for doing that for LED matrix panels, where you define the start and stop of each one so you can make 8-bit looking graphics with them (https://github.com/elyons/pinduino/blob/master/src/AddressableMatrix.h)
In any case, happy to chat and see if I can get the code updated to help you do what you want.

As noted, WS2812FX library is perfect in that respect. Essentially you can define any section of a given ledstrip to be a segment, and you can assign a separate animation, turn it on or off. You can even define several segment, each with it's own animation, on the same section of the ledstrip, and enable depending on usage.

So that would allow for ex to daisy chain apron, GI, special effects, and drive them from a single output easily (you would simply assign each segment)

Quoted from pinballjj:

i have played around with lighting a fiber optic fiber ( side glow) using a single addressable led, controlled by the pinduino, it works ok as you can select different colors and effects such as flashing, what i found is it is hard to maintain the optic fiber super bright as you extend the length of the fiber without adding more leds along the length . in the dark the single led looks good but in the pinball with multiple other lights it look dim
do you think the " power dot" you linked would be a brighter source ?

A single WS2812 led is 0.3W, so yes this power dot is 10x brighter...

I suspect you have a Tron, just like I do If so, since TimeBandit left the scene, I have a cool idea to drive the fiber optics depending on gameplay, PM me if you want to discuss this

9 months later
#226 2 years ago

Long Post.... zene10 and lyonsden or anyone who has done this.

My understanding of how pinduino's (mine are WPC-Ext's) work on the electrical level in laymen terms is this.
The connectors, J126 for example are plugged into the pinduino and the pinduino among other thigs is plugged into J126 on the driver board.
The electronics (optoisolators) are looking for a pin on J126 to go high or low. The reason for the optos is it isolates the high voltage on the driver side and on the pinduino side of things through the arduino code get notified a pin is active or not. If this is correct then I ask the following....

If I run wiring from J126 or J127 or J130 as a pigtail off the main connector on the driver board and don't have to sandwich the adapter board, etc, I will still be getting the PIN state of the pigtailed connection if I terminate it to the connector on the pinduino.

In my example below I would run a pigtail from J130(7) (plunger on STTNG) to the connector on the arduino J126(3) as J126(3) is not used on STTNG, why loose the ability to monitor "something" else??

There are a few caveats... I still must code the nano sketch as if I am interrogating the state of a particular pin line on J126.
Like so....

if (pd.pinState()->J126(3)) // Pin 3 is active //Plunger coil from J130(7) is active because I ran that wire.
Then do something

I don't see why this isn't possible especially since the 4 pin EXT aspect of the WPC ext uses addressing J126(14-17) which isn't real just an extension of the code to make things easier.

This way, by not moving the REAL J126 connector to the WPC-ext I can really run what I want to the the Pinduino and interrogate as I see fit....

If this is wrong please explain why it is. I don't want to blow up a pinduino if doing this will cause that to happen. I think I have read where these optos can handle even the high power coils at 50V.

The other reason I see this as a viable solution to maximize connections (STTNG only uses 7 of the 12 on that connector BTW) is that the connector doesn't have ground reference in the connector, that is handle by the driverboard completing the circuit which makes the coils fire.

Thanks for the long read. Does this make sense?

-Nacman

#227 2 years ago

I went ahead and risked it! It worked!

1 week later
#228 2 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, lyonsden is out of the country with limited connectivity for another week. He's been gone since the end of December and I only look at this thread infrequently.

It looks like you answered you're own question. Yes, you can monitor other signals as you've discovered.

You're launch effect prototype is really cool and I look forward to seeing the fully developed lightshow on launch.

1 week later
#229 2 years ago

Hi Nacman

(Yes, I was out of the country, and the stuck in quarantine for some extra days without easy internet or my login info for Pinside. Tough, tough times. )

You are pretty close with what you are doing (and glad that it worked). For clarity, the optoisolators are NOT rated for high voltage. There are 10K resistors for the high voltage circuits that cut the voltage/current down to the range that work for the optoisolators.

As you figured out, you can use any of the pins on the pinduino to monitor flasher/coil circuits. The one for WPC systems is designed to make it easy to install by plugging into J126, but you can mount it remotely and make wiring/pigtails for anything you want (there are also other Pinduino boards that are "generic" for doing such things). Just make sure that if the Pinduino is plugged into J126, you cut the trace to the pin you are wiring to another circuit. You don't want to bridge separate circuits on the power driver board.

Best,
-eric

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

There are 10K resistors for the high voltage circuits that cut the voltage/current down to the range that work for the optoisolators.

Is what you’re saying that the current resistor pack is not a 10 K resistor pack? If if I replace the one that’s in there with a 10k sit package will the low power coil drivers no longer register with the optos?

2 months later
#231 1 year ago

Just installed the borg ship in my STTNG, after the TOM ramps and the LOTR overall lighting. This is just great. If you haven’t done it yet those are great mods. Highly recommended

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.50
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 14.95
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 231 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinduino-v03-interactive-control-of-leds/page/5?hl=sparksterz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.