New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 156438)

Pinduino! Interactive control of LEDs

By lyonsden

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by Ashram56
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 50 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 6.54.18 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 6.54.25 AM (resized).png
IMG_7983 (resized).JPG
IMG_7984 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.52.42 PM (resized).png
IMG_7834 (resized).JPG
IMG_3133 (resized).JPG
IMG_3134 (resized).JPG
IMG_3135 (resized).JPG
IMG_3139 (resized).JPG
IMG_3136 (resized).JPG
IMG_20180204_140831 (resized).jpg
IMG_6832.JPG (resized).jpeg
IMG_6831.JPG (resized).jpeg
f03f952c040dc5a93cc2a1637dba50f62edf12d2 (resized).jpg
0711172024 (resized).jpg

There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago

I just installed a pinduino mod in my Getaway High Speed 2, and it's easily one of my favorite mods for any of my machines.

@lyonsden was super helpful while I tried to figure out my issues with my DIY kit. I may even have to mess around with some of the programming myself just for fun!

8 months later
#202 5 months ago

Here are a couple of setups I've done recently. These are local friends that drop off a game that I get a chance to strip down and refurbish. While putting the back together, I get a chance to totally outfit the game with addressable LEDs. One of my favorite things to do is to do the GI on games. Overall, straightforward to do, but definitely for people who aren't afraid spending a few hours working on their game (you need to take out the existing GI).

#203 5 months ago

Godzilla!!!

Damn -- I love this game. Hard to find and always a pleasure to get some time on one (great game if you like multiball).

This has two Pinduinos -- one to control GI and a set of LEDs on the ramps that shine across the playfield, and a second to control LEDs on the outside of the ramps that shine into the ramps. I really like how this turned out!

Code:
GI + inside of ramps facing across the playfield: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/Godzilla_GI_ramps
Ramps (facing into the ramps): https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/Godzilla_ramps

#205 5 months ago

Cool, I just got a Spiderman and was wondering if anything was available.

3 months later
#206 73 days ago

Good morning,

Has anyone played around with diffusing fiber optics tubes along with Pinduino ?

Specifically, I recently acquired a Tron Pro, and it has been fitted with a RF remote control fiber optics tubes on the ramps, which cycle but do not react to gameplay. This uses a RGB fiber light source such as this: http://www.ledlightingfiberoptic.com/en/product/12VDC-24GHz-5W-RGB-LED-Fiber-Optic-Illuminator-for-fiber-optic-lighting.html (well not quite identical, but principle is the same).

I've been trying to find a control unit that would have a standardized protocol, as it would allow to control it through a pinduino, but could not find anything.

My alternative would be to use a single adressable led and define it as single led output in Pinduino, but checking first if anything had been done already.

Now you could ask why don't i use complete ledstrip in the ramps, it's just that I prefer the look of fiber optics, better integrated and more in line with the theme for my taste.

Regards

1 month later
#207 28 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
Has anyone played around with diffusing fiber optics tubes along with Pinduino ?
Specifically, I recently acquired a Tron Pro, and it has been fitted with a RF remote control fiber optics tubes on the ramps, which cycle but do not react to gameplay. This uses a RGB fiber light source such as this: http://www.ledlightingfiberoptic.com/en/product/12VDC-24GHz-5W-RGB-LED-Fiber-Optic-Illuminator-for-fiber-optic-lighting.html (well not quite identical, but principle is the same).
I've been trying to find a control unit that would have a standardized protocol, as it would allow to control it through a pinduino, but could not find anything.
My alternative would be to use a single adressable led and define it as single led output in Pinduino, but checking first if anything had been done already.
Now you could ask why don't i use complete ledstrip in the ramps, it's just that I prefer the look of fiber optics, better integrated and more in line with the theme for my taste.
Regards

I have not tried using this (or similar) with the pinduino. Overall, the pinduino may be overkill as I'd bet the controller for this is just setting RGB values for the single light source (rather than sending data that goes down to program individual LEDs in an addressable strip. In any case, if you found some data sheets for the light controller, I can take a look.

#208 28 days ago

That was my conclusion indeed, I went the PinLightShield route which has two 12V RGB output and a few adressable led output depending on how I use the input.

Still need to assemble it though...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside