(Topic ID: 310612)

PinDoc Lamp Insert Masks for Hardtop Install (gauging interest)

By wrd1972_PinDoc

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

When I install a hardtop, I like to spray a clear coat on the playfield before the Hardtop install. Of course, Outside Edge also recommends this to ensure a strong bond between the PF panel and the hardtop.

If the surfaces of the inserts are properly prepped, there should be no problem. If the surface is NOT properly prepped, the clear might bubble, fisheye, or worse, and this will lead to unwanted visual appearances which are not very easily fixed.

I have also thought about how the clear on the inserts might hold up down the road. Could it possibly release, haze, or do some other unwanted thing that would result in a bad appearance? Maybe, or maybe not, but I would prefer to not take that chance because as we all know, the Hardtop is NOT coming off without major expense and headaches. No thank you.

So what I have started doing for my Hardtop installs is applying pre-cut vinyl masks over all of the inserts on the playfield before applying the clear coat. Once the clear is added, the vinyl masks will simply peel off leaving the insert faces uncoated.

I am now using my CNC to precisely cut the insert masks to the required shape, and then I simply peel them off and apply them to the playfield. Again, you just peel the masks off, apply them to the inserts, apply your clear coat, then peel them off. Easy as pie.

So with this thread, I am gauging interest to see if others might be interested in these masks for their Hardtop installs. If the interest is there, I would likely make sheets of masks that are specific to the game. I have not yet decided on cost, but it will be very reasonable and It certainly would be cheap insurance to prevent any unwanted stuff from happening to the inserts, either before the Hardtop install, or after.

Black Knight and F-14 Sheets shown below.

Is anyone interested?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pindoc-lamp-insert-masks-for-hardtop-install-gauging-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.