(Topic ID: 141688)

Pindemption - will you buy it for your WOZ?

By Damonator

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dgpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you buy a Pindemption dongle for your WOZ?”

• Yes 9 votes
    13%
  • No 48 votes
    70%
  • Maybe - need more information 12 votes
    17%

(69 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5th_image.jpg
Pindemption_Booklet5_2.jpg
3rd_image.jpg
2nd_image.jpg
Pindemption_Booklet.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

The new Pindemption system requires a separate dongle to enable it on your WOZ. According to Jack, you'll be able to switch the game back and forth between Pindemption mode and normal mode from the menus.

Initial price on the dongle is $199. Will you buy one for your WOZ?

I think it's a fantastic idea for operators and will hopefully lead to more pinball on location. Personally I'm on the fence on whether I'll buy it. I guess it could be fun to have mini 1 minute tournaments with friends?

#2 8 years ago

$199 is literally pocket change. I don't get the aversion from people who were happy to pay $8,000 in the first place.

#3 8 years ago

Does that include ticket dispenser ? I thought everyone got the software free.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

$199 is literally pocket change.

I'm a little light; could you spare $100 to help a guy out?

#5 8 years ago

For my home WOZ no way, what's the point?

If I owned an arcade where one could win teddy's and kids toys then yes.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

For my home WOZ no way, what's the point?
If I owned an arcade where one could win teddy's and kids toys then yes.

It's a different mode of play with different set of strategies.

#7 8 years ago

So you could play pindemtion mode with out the tickets?? Or the dongle?

#8 8 years ago

You can play Pindemption without the ticket dispenser...but you have to have the dongle.

#9 8 years ago

The question I have is, can the player choose not to play redemption mode, or is it locked in by the operator?

#10 8 years ago

So $200 to set your game to another mode in home use without tickets dispensing? That sounds like some horrible DLC future for ya right? Then again I guess you're "mis-using" a coin-op option...strange

#11 8 years ago

The $199 includes the ticket dispenser.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Ok thanks for clearing that up...sounded weird.

#13 8 years ago

Funny me for thinking the LE might be the complete package....

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

I don't think this is going to be a big seller/earner although I think it was worth doing and with use of the screen will have some modest success. As I mentioned on another thread I believe only a purpose-built pindemption machine will have any chance of making a real impact. You are almost entirely taking on fairground games not arcade games.

#15 8 years ago

Pinball machines as we know them don't seriously compete in that environment. Jack at Expo mentioned pindemption earnings around $3500 for WOZ v. $70,000 for the top redemption game in the place over the same period. That's surely too much of a difference as I believe he said that machine cost $22,000 which is clearly value.

Is there any hope for a return of the player at each end (with screens above in the middle ) game ?

#16 8 years ago

I was at the Jersey Jack round table at expo and I heard $199 special price for home buyers, no ticket dispenser. It awards virtual tickets. Rules are also simplified, good for new players or fun to just mix it up.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No.

LTG : )

#18 8 years ago

Wasn't WOZ promoted as having no software differences between versions? Is the difference that the game does have it, you just have to pay to unlock it?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Wasn't WOZ promoted as having no software differences between versions? Is the difference that the game does have it, you just have to pay to unlock it?

The code is there, the dongle unlocks it.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The code is there, the dongle unlocks it.

Seems a slippery slope for buyers though. You're told the game will play the same across all models but later told that to access new play modes you have to pay to unlock them even though the code exist in the game.

#21 8 years ago

$199 isn't pocket change, but it isn't a huge expense either. And I see it as a reasonable cost of this completely new way of using the games hardware. This isn't something like only an LE has Rescue Multiball. This is software to run a redemption game. And really, how many people would even want to run it? You know you would try it once, and never run it again in your house.

#22 8 years ago

Seems like a waste of time. I can't see how it would make game play anymore interesting.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

$199 isn't pocket change, but it isn't a huge expense either. And I see it as a reasonable cost of this completely new way of using the games hardware. This isn't something like only an LE has Rescue Multiball. This is software to run a redemption game. And really, how many people would even want to run it? You know you would try it once, and never run it again in your house.

I think most owners would at least like to try it. As others have said the idea of a timed game could be great as way for kids to play or
even a different way to run a tournament. I want access to it, just don't like the idea of shelling out money for a key to something already in the code.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Technically, it is the same across all versions (as I understand it). The code is in all 3 versions of the machine (Std, LE, RR), but all 3 require the dongle to use this feature, so it is still a true statement to say that there are no software differences between versions.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

Technically, it is the same across all versions (as I understand it). The code is in all 3 versions of the machine (Std, LE, RR), but all 3 require the dongle to use this feature, so it is still a true statement to say that there are no software differences between versions.

Yep, scary road for the industry to steer down IMO.

#26 8 years ago

I don't think I am really interested in it but I would probably try it if available. Might be fun to play a timed game under some circumstances. Might work when playing with friends that are not that good. Puts you on a little more even ground.

But pay $199 for it? Not a chance in hell. I simply do not understand the reason for that on JJP's part. Isn't the whole idea of Pindemption a way for JJP to sell more machines? To get machines back into places that have abandoned pinball for more profitable video type games? So why am I helping to pay for that on top of the over 8K already paid to JJP.

What's the difference if they put out code version 6.0 the ultimate code for an even better experience but we have to add an additional dongle for $199 to unlock it. How would that go over? Not to well I bet. We didn't buy software where you expect to pay for new versions and some upgrades now and then. We bought a pinball machine that runs on software.

By the way I love the software and baring 1 issue for me 5.05 is awesome.

#27 8 years ago

I'd like to see a 30 day trial period so I can try it and see if it's worth spending $199 to me to have it at home.

#28 8 years ago

Curious - since I don't have a WOZ or Hobbit or any other JJP game..

What's the 'kit' come with? JUST the dongle? Or a ticket dispenser, or some other piece of hardware?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I thought Jack said the Ticket Dispenser was ANOTHER $100 on top of the $199 for the software upgrade ??

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

I simply do not understand the reason for that on JJP's part. Isn't the whole idea of Pindemption a way for JJP to sell more machines?

Yes it is. Or more expensive kits with the dongle and ticket dispenser.

Jack knows a lot of collectors would like to try it. From what I heard if you have kids, it's a lot of fun. That is why JJP made the dongle available separately and then lowered the price too.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I thought Jack said the Ticket Dispenser was ANOTHER $100 on top of the $199 for the software upgrade ??

I would be REALLY surprised if the original $199 includes the ticket dispenser..!

#32 8 years ago

IIRC from the seminar at Expo the $199 price is for a limited time only. Then it goes to the regular price of $299 or $399.

#33 8 years ago

Does anyone else think this is a slippery slope? DLC for pinball machines?

How far off is 'Super duper Wizard mode code', yours for a low price of $39.99. Boost your light show and stand out from the rest, only $19.99! Upgrade your dongle today!

Just don't pile on Stern after JJP once again gives them ideas of how to pry more money from people.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Does anyone else think this is a slippery slope? DLC for pinball machines?
How far off is 'Super duper Wizard mode code', yours for a low price of $39.99. Boost your light show and stand out from the rest, only $19.99! Upgrade your dongle today!
Just don't pile on Stern after JJP once again gives them ideas of how to pry more money from people.

Completely different from "Super Duper Wizard Mode". I think the whole ePlate thing made them understand that they wouldn't be able to do that because the market would reject buying a machine and not getting the full software experience of the game.

I'm baffled why this is the prevailing thought though. I think all this does is make Jack realize that putting it into the software to keep his costs lower are not viable. So I'm sure any "Pindemption" going forward will just be much more expensive because they have to maintain a different code base for any redemption systems.

And if anyone really needs timed modes in their WOZ, buy some beer and some chips, and I'll show up at your house with a stopwatch and yank the plug out of your WOZ after 60 seconds. After a few beers there is a slight margin of error on the timings... maybe wait until you light "Melt the witch" before I yank it. But by all means, grab your pitchforks.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm baffled why this is the prevailing thought though.

I think it's the prevailing thought because I assume a lot of us have been through it with video games. Once the companies realized they could release a game, then release new things (levels, modes, etc.) down the road to keep the customers giving them money, it became the norm.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing per say, lots of good content has come out in the form of DLC's, and it does provide an extra revenue stream.

I can just imagine the pitch forks coming out when Stern releases a licensed title with fake voices, then releases a dongle that enables the real actors voices for $299 (with custom call outs!). Oh crap, I just planted the seed.

#36 8 years ago

That's not what I heard at the seminar, and if true, then there's no point in spending $199 for "virtual" tickets.

#37 8 years ago

I just want to say "Dongle"

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's not what I heard at the seminar,

Which seminar ? If Expo, I was there, I never heard that. The recording of the fireside chat is up on Pinball News, if you care to listen to it.

Is true.

#39 8 years ago

I think it's reasonable to charge for something completely new. You didn't buy this game with ticket style play in mind. You're paying for an entirely different and new functionality.

Personally I can't see it taking off and the idea will quietly die, but I could be wrong! I know little to nothing about the ticket redemption world.

#40 8 years ago

A more compelling price model would have been free with the ticket dispensing functionality disabled, the paid dongle unlocks that.

#41 8 years ago

Want to be able to access Pindemption™ Software on your Wizard of Oz Pinball Machine? Now available for purchase: Pindemption™ Dongles - $199! Purchasing this Dongle allows you to switch back and forth freely between Pindemption™ and Standard Gameplay.

Questions or to place an order please call 732-364-9900 ext 203. Or you can purchase online - https://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&path=62&product_id=74

The Tickets Topper is also available for Sale. Price includes Green LED Strip as well as shipping the Continental US - https://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=75

Pindemption_Booklet.jpgPindemption_Booklet.jpg
2nd_image.jpg2nd_image.jpg
3rd_image.jpg3rd_image.jpg

Pindemption_Booklet5_2.jpgPindemption_Booklet5_2.jpg

5th_image.jpg5th_image.jpg

#42 8 years ago

Stern games since at least TRON already have the ticket software installed when you buy the game.

But the ticket dispenser cost $350.

In fairness, the Stern ticket dispenser comes with the topper included.

So the JJP software ($200), plus the ticket dispenser ($100) plus the topper ($89) comes out to about the same price. ($389)

BUT once the JJP software goes "off sale" and the price goes back up to $400, then the total package will be much more than Stern @ $589....

#43 8 years ago

I didn't know Stern had ticket software built in already. Can I play my LOTR in a timed or redemption mode without the ticket dispenser installed?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

plus the ticket dispenser ($100)

Where have you seen it for $100 ?

I'm curious because a ticket spitter with 3 banks would surly cost more.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I didn't know Stern had ticket software built in already. Can I play my LOTR in a timed or redemption mode without the ticket dispenser installed?

A lot of games from the DMD era on have ticket capability in their software.

Dispense ticket instead of winning a game type stuff though.

Pindemption has the time mode and compressed rules.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

It started around TRON, so LOTR is too old.

Sorry.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Where have you seen it for $100 ?

That's what I believe Jack told me.

If it's much more than $100, it's going to really screw up my Stern math comparison, lol.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It started around TRON, so LOTR is too old.
Sorry.

TSPP has the capability as I used to win 250 point jumbo tickets often when I took my kids to Chuck E. Cheese years ago. The dispenser was in the coin door where a bill validator could be installed.

#49 8 years ago

I'm not paying $199 for pindemption for I might pay that to finally melt the witch. I really suck at this game.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

TSPP has the capability as I used to win 250 point jumbo tickets often when I took my kids to Chuck E. Cheese years ago. The dispenser was in the coin door where a bill validator could be installed.

I'd be curious to see how it was mounted - I wasn't aware of any adapter plate to convert a DBA hole for a ticket. (Though, honestly, I really expected there to be one for the longest time.. beats having to bolt on a whole 'nother small metal cabinet to the underside of the pin..!)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pindemption-will-you-buy-it-for-your-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.