Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    1-DSC01017.JPG
    1-DSC00872.JPG
    20130814_191713.jpg
    934689_10151777628928139_1741418399_n..jpg
    1-DSC00749.JPG
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

What?

PinCrossing (http://pincrossing.com) is the pinball arcade inside the Railroad Street Bar and Grill, in Linfield PA. The Railroad has been around for years and is known for having one of the best beer selections in the area with over 40 beers on tap (http://www.beermenus.com/places/3164-railroad-street-bar-grill), as many bottles, and a great menu. Our machine lineup is expected to be between 10 and 12 machines when we open and will hopefully expand by 4-5 more once a back office is converted to usable space. The current list of games is maintained on the website and includes some of the most popular early solid states, a nice sampling of “A” list WPCs, and Lord of the Rings as our pick to cover the modern era.

Why?

We love pinball. We also love good food and we really love good beer. Unfortunately, there wasn’t too many options for combining this all together in our area. If we wanted to play pinball by ourselves, many of us could stay home and do that in our basements. The whole point of the PinCrossing is to have a place where we can meet up with other pinball people, grab a drink and a good meal and play some of our favorite machines from various eras.

How?

As a group of pinball enthusiasts, we have these simple driving principles at PinCrossing:

1) We know it is extremely difficult for “operators” to make any money routing pinball machines these days, which is why the majority of them no longer do it. Many of the ones that do, let maintenance fall by the wayside due to the overhead costs associated with it, which leaves us players with machines that don’t work! To address this we decided to change the rules of the game. We simply have no expectation of actually making any money. Brilliant, right? This has been clearly laid out to all the parties involved. The owner of our venue is a big pinball fan which helps. He also realizes that pinball players like to eat good food and drink good beer while they play and that is where he hopes to cover his costs for handing over valuable floor space.

2) We believe it is critical to keep our machines in as close to 100% working condition as we can possibly keep them. To help ensure that happens, we are adopting an approach to maintenance that will be shared by the members of our players association. This means at any given time there will be 5-6 people that can fix a problem with a machine. The downside is that the machine owners need to get comfortable with other people pulling their glass to deal with issues. The upside, to everyone else, is that there is a much higher chance of a given game getting fixed quickly.

3) We believe leveraging the pinball community is critical to our success. Our “PinCrossing Players Association” currently includes 6 machine owners, several area techs and some people that are just interested in learning more about how to take care of pinball machines. If you live in the Linfield area and are interested in becoming involved, please send me a PM.

#2 10 years ago

Where?

Haven’t heard of Linfield? It is next to Limerick and about half way between Reading and Philadelphia. It is also:
    10 min from Collegeville
    15 in from Phoenixville
    20 min from King of Prussia
    35 min from Reading & Downingtown
    40 min from Philadelphia

When?

Our grand opening will be August 10th! We open at 11:00AM. We will also be hosting a tournament on August 24th that will be run by the NPL (http://www.nationalpinballleague.org/events/event_detail.aspx?id=33). It is a registered IFPA event and will count toward WPPR points. More information about the tournament, directions, links to the registration site, and our current list of machines is available at PinCrossing.com

Feedback: Is this the stupidest idea ever? We want to hear it! Do you have suggestions that you think could help us succeed? We want those too! We did this because we want the community to have more options for playing pinball together. We also wanted to create a pinball “destination” that would get more casual people involved as well. We need your help to make this happen. If you have specific suggestions, comments, criticism, etc, you can either post them here, send me a PM, check out our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Pincrossing), or contact jay (at) pincrossing.com

#3 10 years ago

Sounds great, I have friends in that area so next time I'm down that way I will definitely stop by. Nice to see RR as well as some vintages on the beer list! Monster Bash and some great craft brews sounds too good to pass up. Good luck!!

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Do you have suggestions that you think could help us succeed?

If I'm reading it right, the owner gets none of the coindrop? Is that correct? If yes, I wouldn't recommend it. There will be plenty of players who won't buy beer or food. Whether he's a pinhead or not, the owner has to get paid.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Whether he's a pinhead or not, the owner has to get paid.

Not to worry, the owner will be taken care of.

I'm very excited to be part of this and will be putting my WH2O on location. We've had dinner and drinks at the Railroad a few times now and really enjoyed the experience - the beers and food are fantastic. The ‘pin room’ has its own private bar and seating which is kind of nice. No need to separate yourself from the excitement just to grab a drink. Hope a few of you fellow Pinsiders can come out, look forward to meeting some of you.

#6 10 years ago

Wow, this is awesome news. I drive that road every day to work in Collegeville. Looking forward to it.

Bummer you're opening weekend is PAPA though. I'll be there or else I'd come by.

1 week later
    #7 10 years ago

Just finished the final touches on restoring this Monster Bash for the PinCrossing opening this weekend.

The metal is done in a blue metallic flake with auto clear coat to protect it... we will see how it holds up!

1-DSC00749.JPG1-DSC00749.JPG

#8 10 years ago

Fabulous, LOVE seeing new pin locations open up, even if it's not in my neck of the woods.

Good luck, and good for you!

#9 10 years ago

Awesome idea guys! I'm 30 min away. If you need any help, let me know!

#10 10 years ago

Sweet only an hour away here.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Awesome idea guys! I'm 30 min away. If you need any help, let me know!

Ditto!

And nice MB!

#12 10 years ago

Jay,

Will the machines be available for play anytime during the restaurant hours (Exceptions for tournaments and special pin events)? I know I will be by but may be an impromptu trip on my way home or similar.

Thanks for this. Great news and will be planning to dedicate time to the pins and beers!

#13 10 years ago

Oh SNAP!

How close is this to the outlets in Limerick?

May just be a reason to go with the wife next time! LOL

Chris

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Jay,
    Will the machines be available for play anytime during the restaurant hours (Exceptions for tournaments and special pin events)?

Yes, This is key to me driving me and my wife an hour for dinner. (not answering, adding my desire for the answer )

#15 10 years ago

Just telling someone there are not a lot of places to play pinball any more. This place is 5 miles from me. Nice!

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Jay,
    Will the machines be available for play anytime during the restaurant hours (Exceptions for tournaments and special pin events)? I know I will be by but may be an impromptu trip on my way home or similar.
    Thanks for this. Great news and will be planning to dedicate time to the pins and beers!

Absolutely, along with the need for good beer and food one of our goals was to have a place with nice long hours where we could go play pinball whenever we felt the urge. The Railroad is open Tuesday - Saturday 11:00 AM to 2:00 AM and Sunday 12:00PM to 12:00AM. They are closed Mondays.

It is definitely the kind of place where people can hang out that are not into pinball as well. I'm planning to meet fellow area pinheads I know there and let our wives catch up over food and a few drinks, while we go play some pinball together.

-Jay

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Oh SNAP!
    How close is this to the outlets in Limerick?
    May just be a reason to go with the wife next time! LOL
    Chris

It is very close to the Philadelphia Premium Outlets, about 5 minutes. If you take the back roads from 724 to get to the outlets (like I do) it is actually on the way there.

#18 10 years ago

This is incredible news. I wish you guys were closer to public trans, but I'll suck it up, rent a car, and come out to see you shortly after opening.

#19 10 years ago

Just a reminder that the PinCrossing opens tomorrow at 11:00AM. We will be running a high score tournament throughout the weekend for anyone that is interested with gift certificates to the Railroad Street Bar and Grill for the winners!

934689_10151777628928139_1741418399_n..jpg934689_10151777628928139_1741418399_n..jpg

#20 10 years ago

Wow, what a line-up! Looks awesome Jay! Can't wait to check it out next time I'm in the area.

#21 10 years ago

Now if only I lived in PA. You guys got PAPA and this place. Seems like a true Pinsiders Dream.

#22 10 years ago

We should be there for diner tomorrow. You got plenty of quarters in the register?

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

We should be there for diner tomorrow. You got plenty of quarters in the register?

Great, I looking forward to meeting you! The change machine is full so I'm hoping it holds out

If there are any craft beer fans in the area, the Railroad is doing a $5 special on all growler fills tomorrow. The list of beers on tap is available here : http://www.beermenus.com/places/3164-railroad-street-bar-grill At that price, I'm guessing the higher end beers will sell out quick.

-Jay

#24 10 years ago

Just got back from there a few hours ago with the wife.

Great food, great games. Also got to drive by the nuclear power plant which for a first timer, was kind of ominous, its freaking huge.

Really enjoyed LOTR. Looking forward to owning one one day. Was my first time playing one finally. Also Theater of Magic and Monster Bash we cool to play for real finally instead of on Pinball Arcade. We really enjoyed ourselves.

I also destroyed the pac-man high score while waiting for the bill for good measure.

#25 10 years ago

Gotta check this out. Me and the lady live just north of Reading and head down to the Philly Outlets in the fall. There's nothing in Berks County for location pinball.

#26 10 years ago

It was great meeting you DarkWizard! I hope you can make it on the 24th.

You still had the high score on LOTR for the weekend tournament when I left. One of our top area tournament players (Ken) and I both spent the better part of the evening trying unsuccessfully to top your score

#27 10 years ago

Makes me happy seeing new businesses like this one open up.

#28 10 years ago

Metallica Master of Puppets LE was just added to the PinCrossing tonight. This one is #4 of 500! 20130814_191713.jpg20130814_191713.jpg

#29 10 years ago

This is awesome! The pinball scene in Philly is weak! This is definitely a huge step in the right direction, thank you for doing this, I will be at the tournament on the 24th for sure.

-Matt

#30 10 years ago

Great to see a Metallica in southeast Pa.

#31 10 years ago

Congratulations to DarkWizard for winning our opening high score tournament! His prizes include a $30 gift certificate and die cast PinCrossing medal.

1-DSC00872.JPG1-DSC00872.JPG

#32 10 years ago

The Grand Champion trophy for the PinCrossing Summer Classic this Saturday is ready! We were trying to get something that was unique but still classy. Decent pinball trophies are pretty much non-existent so we used our custom die cast medals as an insert into a metal cup style trophy with an engraved marble base. Any thoughts or suggestions for future versions?

1-DSC01017.JPG1-DSC01017.JPG

#33 10 years ago

Great job on the trophy, Jay! It's a shame I will never, ever.. ever.... win one.

#34 10 years ago

Trophy looks great! Very classy haha. I finally get a chance to see this place next month, can't wait

#35 10 years ago

Sweet, hope to you see you soon, your about 15 minutes away. If you want an MM in there, I'm happy to donate mine for awhile!

John

#36 10 years ago

Really looking forward to Saturday, trophy looks cool.

This line up is already amazing, a MM would be SICK!!! (make it happen!)

#37 10 years ago

John, we were just talking about how much we would love to add AFM and MM to the lineup! We have a detailed contract to protect our machine owners, with a separate insurance rider covering the machines, as well as a generous compensation package (not in terms of making big $s but in terms of overall benefit). I'll send you a PM to discuss details.

-Jay

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from John-from-PA:

If you want an MM in there, I'm happy to donate mine for awhile!

Yes, please!!

#39 10 years ago

OK, I'll watch my PM....

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Congratulations to DarkWizard for winning our opening high score tournament! His prizes include a $30 gift certificate and die cast PinCrossing medal.

Cool thank you! Does the other side of the medal mention anything about pinball, or can I just claim its a medal for drinking the most beers?

I'm fairly sure there was a good dose of luck involved in that particular game hehe

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Cool thank you! Does the other side of the medal mention anything about pinball, or can I just claim its a medal for drinking the most beers?
    I'm fairly sure there was a good dose of luck involved in that particular game hehe

It is hard to see in that picture, but this is the PinCrossing version of the Railroad's logo that we use for the PinCrossing.com website, tournament shirts, etc. The railroad crossing sign to the right of the train says "Pinball Crossing". On the back of the medal there is an engraved plate that says "High Score Champion".

-Jay

#42 10 years ago

The video from our Summer Classic tournament is now online if anyone is interested. The finals were on Metallica LE : https://vimeo.com/73219658

Division A Finals : Robbie Orsino, Steven Zahler, Aaron Adair and Harry Kottek. Zahler gains most of the points for his win during a string of multiballs starting at around the 29:40 mark.

#43 10 years ago

Had a good time, will likely be visiting often. Well maintained and nice looking machines. Need more time on Metallica hehe. Only got to play it twice.

#44 10 years ago

Just stopped there this afternoon. Fantastic lineup and getting to play a Metallica for the first time was a joy. Especially an LE. Will definitely be back.

1 week later
    #45 10 years ago

Far away the best lineup of pins I've seen anywhere on location and all are in great shape. Well worth an hour drive for me. I we get a MM in there I may have to rent a room above the bar. Can't wait for leagues to start in a few weeks...

#46 10 years ago

Speaking of which... the PinCrossing league starts one week from today!

Sign up on PinCrossing.com, by sending me a PM here on Pinside OR in person by checking with a bartender. Tonight is our last trial run of the league rules and format for those that want to give it a try before signing up for the 8 week season.

This will be our only league event for the calendar year so those looking for IFPA/WPPR ranking points will have a lot to compete for.

-Jay

2 months later
    #47 10 years ago

We are hosting a Black Friday tournament at the PinCrossing on November 29th!

Our doors open at 11:00 on Friday and the main tournament will begin at 2:00. The event fee is $30 and includes a buffet dinner, a drink of your choice (beer, wine, cocktail, soda, etc) and trophies for our winners. Participants will have access to the award winning Railroad Street Bar & Grill menu all day that includes 40+ beers on tap and a full bar.

We will also be holding a high score charity side tournament with entry fees donated to To Love a Canine Rescue, Inc. We have a selection of great prizes for our charity tournament and will be awarding winners in various categories including : Kids, Women and Seniors. The TLC team will be available all day with their list of currently available dogs and to answer any questions about becoming a volunteer.

Registration for the main tournament must be completed in advance via PayPal or at the arcade with one of our machine owners. Both events are registered with the IFPA for WPPR points as a periodic/quarterly event. See www.pincrossing.com for additional details or use this paypal link to sign up: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=M6Q8UQ77NJ4LC

Pinsiders take note that we recently expanded our pinball space and added the following machines to our lineup : SS, GNR, FT, TSPP and TZ!

-Jay

7 months later
    #48 9 years ago

Old post. I don't care - it deserves to be bumped .

Made a 35 mile drive to Linfield to check this place out and couldn't have been happier. Well maintained machines, great atmosphere, good food, cold beer, change machine! Not sure what else people would want.

TOM was in top shape and a joy to play, I daydream about going back soon. First time I ever played WCS and found it played nicely. METLE looks like it just came out of the box. MB looks and plays beautiful

Minor disappointment that WH20 and TZ were turned off but so many good machines there being two down is not a deal breaker

One small complaint ( and i feel like an ass even bringing it up) is the Centaur tilt setting is so sensitive it tilted away 2 balls without me even moving the table. Haha - 25 cents down the tubes. Not sure if its intentionally set like that, but as is it should be labeled "for display purposes only" and the coin slot taped up

Thanks Jay for making Pincrossing happen!

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Not sure what else people would want.

Couldn't agree more. I went there a few times while visiting family in the area. It would be great to have a place like this close by with a great selection of well maintained machines, big selection of craft beers on tap and a friendly league. No such luck by me - there isn't even one crummy pin in a pizza shop or movie theater.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Old post. I don't care - it deserves to be bumped .
    Made a 35 mile drive to Linfield to check this place out and couldn't have been happier. Well maintained machines, great atmosphere, good food, cold beer, change machine! Not sure what else people would want.
    TOM was in top shape and a joy to play, I daydream about going back soon. First time I ever played WCS and found it played nicely. METLE looks like it just came out of the box. MB looks and plays beautiful
    Minor disappointment that WH20 and TZ were turned off but so many good machines there being two down is not a deal breaker
    One small complaint ( and i feel like an ass even bringing it up) is the Centaur tilt setting is so sensitive it tilted away 2 balls without me even moving the table. Haha - 25 cents down the tubes. Not sure if its intentionally set like that, but as is it should be labeled "for display purposes only" and the coin slot taped up
    Thanks Jay for making Pincrossing happen!

Great pins but typical barfood, just so so

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pincrossing-a-new-pinball-arcade-in-linfield-pa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.