IMG_6726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6686 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6558 (resized).jpeg
71244915805__89CF39DF-8132-4233-8970-0435BE1E4516 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6508 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_6482 (resized).jpeg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 1 year ago

The purpose of this thread is to document my continuing efforts as a pinball restorer. I have been doing some level of pinball restoration for about 3 years now. I have about 5 restorations under my belt and a few playfield swaps.

I’ve been interested in starting some restorations threads to document my restorations, mainly for use by others who may be attempting the same thing in the future and to get input or advice from the community here and those more knowledgeable/experienced than me.

My interest in restoration really started about 4-5 years ago. I’ve always enjoyed woodworking and the idea of bringing something back to its former glory. I see older pinball machines as almost like little people and I really do enjoy the idea of taking a beat up machine that has been through the wringer and giving it the love it has earned over the years. I like to think the machines are a little happier when the process is completed. Preserving these machines and allowing people to experience them as they were (or at least as close as I can get) when they came out of the factory is very rewarding to me.

Restoration also gives me a creative outlet and a way to get out in my garage and work/ think on something other than my main job which is being a medical doctor. That job is also very rewarding but is high stress for me and stress relief is always a good thing!

Over the last year or two I have started to take on projects for friends or local pinheads and so I thought it was about time to start an ongoing thread for those who might be interested in following my adventures (or misadventures).

#2 1 year ago

I've restored several Bally 80s era pins. Many I have posted here.

Look forward to seeing what you do and how you do it.

Need any advice or help let me know

#3 1 year ago

Ok first a little trip down memory lane.

My prior restorations include:

Gottlieb’s Jumping Jack
*Space reserved for photo, I’ll dig one up.

Gottlieb’s High Hand (refresh, not a full resto)
A27D5D77-2FA2-4F29-A5F4-8E6A8701E0F0 (resized).jpegA27D5D77-2FA2-4F29-A5F4-8E6A8701E0F0 (resized).jpeg

Gottlieb’s Abra Ca Dabra
0B3D1A4C-B271-4B79-A2A7-E44134C48C43 (resized).jpeg0B3D1A4C-B271-4B79-A2A7-E44134C48C43 (resized).jpeg

Gottlieb’s 300 (refresh and cabinet repaint)
466FD8E0-AD98-4DF6-84A3-68C0BE790CAF (resized).jpeg466FD8E0-AD98-4DF6-84A3-68C0BE790CAF (resized).jpeg

Bally Xenon
44BC1E02-1DBB-40C6-B740-2A7CD1EFBE48 (resized).jpeg44BC1E02-1DBB-40C6-B740-2A7CD1EFBE48 (resized).jpeg4EC1D68C-A642-454B-B75F-B94036EEF7D0 (resized).jpeg4EC1D68C-A642-454B-B75F-B94036EEF7D0 (resized).jpeg

Williams High Speed II The Getaway (playfield swap, Mr_Tantrum did all the mods)
FAF27DA7-EBE4-49DC-8A7B-C1FEC38B3EC9 (resized).jpegFAF27DA7-EBE4-49DC-8A7B-C1FEC38B3EC9 (resized).jpeg
9189A803-770A-4C80-9E1E-22F43DC81084 (resized).jpeg9189A803-770A-4C80-9E1E-22F43DC81084 (resized).jpeg

#4 1 year ago

Upcoming projects are (not necessarily in order)

Bally Harlem Globetrotters (next project up)
Gottlieb’s Pop A Card (playfield currently out for restoration)
Bally Flash Gordon
Stern Meteor
Bally Lost World (maybe a retheme?)
Williams Taxi

And whatever else comes my way!

I’ll start posting the pics and documentation of the Harlem Globetrotters this evening, it’s the next project up.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I've restored several Bally 80s era pins. Many I have posted here.
Look forward to seeing what you do and how you do it.
Need any advice or help let me know

Thanks, I really appreciate that and that’s exactly why I’m doing this thread!

#6 1 year ago

Beautiful resto work brother!

I love threads like this that document the process. They're great to read & go through all the pics & vids. They also go a long way towards helping others out who may want to do their own machine over. So it's awesome you're doing this.

That said... Good luck on all your projects & I look forward to following along in here.

#7 1 year ago

You're welcome. I've been working on one for a couple of months now.

Thought about posting the progress but doing that can be time consuming too. Might have to rethink that.

#8 1 year ago

Globetrotters is a great pin! I love shooting for those drop targets. Good luck with it & I'm definitely looking forward to following along on your progress.

Also, thanks in advance for taking all the extra time & work it takes to shoot pics, document everything, edit things, explain it all, answer questions & post it all up in here. That alone can be aggravating & takes a lot of time. So thanks for that. I appreciate everyone who does that for the pin community. Definitely awesome people.

Edit - P.S. - That Xenon came out awesome and that Getaway is the nicest I've ever seen. Awesome!

#9 1 year ago

Here’s the before pictures of Globetrotters. This one was purchased from a junker. He basically cleans out houses and such after estate sales or whatever. He got this pin and had no idea what to do with it so he listed it for sale for $100. It was a 1.5 hour drive but I figured it was worth if for $100. It’s rough for sure! Boards are pretty well toast, including the classic mud dauber nest in there. I did plug it in and one sad little light lit up on the playfield but nothing else. I already had ordered all new Alltek boards for it after seeing all the battery damage so I turned it on for kicks. You can see the battery leak damage on the bottom of the MPU and it has also gotten down onto the board below and corroded that as well. The good news is the bottom side is not too rusty. Anyhow, behold the old grossness!!1B858F7B-E18C-4997-B063-64DADB292E13 (resized).jpeg1B858F7B-E18C-4997-B063-64DADB292E13 (resized).jpegBB4FCC2A-67BF-47CA-95CD-B797BAED884D (resized).jpegBB4FCC2A-67BF-47CA-95CD-B797BAED884D (resized).jpegE5CD88CB-C093-4ECA-9C06-90E0E9F8C56C (resized).jpegE5CD88CB-C093-4ECA-9C06-90E0E9F8C56C (resized).jpegAB0F40FF-91C8-4481-B979-C3B33AA777E3 (resized).jpegAB0F40FF-91C8-4481-B979-C3B33AA777E3 (resized).jpeg7E9FB4BA-1EAE-499A-9BA9-94F6C6B58CCE (resized).jpeg7E9FB4BA-1EAE-499A-9BA9-94F6C6B58CCE (resized).jpeg0686F5CE-D323-4903-AC18-769A36DF3F18 (resized).jpeg0686F5CE-D323-4903-AC18-769A36DF3F18 (resized).jpeg1518478E-B3F8-4413-B73D-5B49CAD119FB (resized).jpeg1518478E-B3F8-4413-B73D-5B49CAD119FB (resized).jpegDB4A2B7F-7B64-473D-BB10-9CC59F8F15D4 (resized).jpegDB4A2B7F-7B64-473D-BB10-9CC59F8F15D4 (resized).jpeg4927964C-E9F8-4EE7-8C2C-1F8A36F09F32 (resized).jpeg4927964C-E9F8-4EE7-8C2C-1F8A36F09F32 (resized).jpeg3DA6F652-02B6-4AEE-A0F4-F868E22C931D (resized).jpeg3DA6F652-02B6-4AEE-A0F4-F868E22C931D (resized).jpegB759476B-1BD3-4423-93A9-488796DEE86C (resized).jpegB759476B-1BD3-4423-93A9-488796DEE86C (resized).jpeg84A78CA1-ECDC-404F-B4D3-6749404E2A0F (resized).jpeg84A78CA1-ECDC-404F-B4D3-6749404E2A0F (resized).jpegDFF0B974-223C-41CD-9BD7-D50D3CCD3881 (resized).jpegDFF0B974-223C-41CD-9BD7-D50D3CCD3881 (resized).jpegE7BB40DA-53A2-44C3-A087-749E41B99C4E (resized).jpegE7BB40DA-53A2-44C3-A087-749E41B99C4E (resized).jpegF92E7855-E3DE-48FD-A5F7-71BB3974E412 (resized).jpegF92E7855-E3DE-48FD-A5F7-71BB3974E412 (resized).jpeg

#10 1 year ago

That's a good one!

#11 1 year ago

So first step is removal of the playfield. Starting off by labeling and removing all connectors in the back box. Some very toasty connectors and some pretty interesting hacks to be found! These will all be replaced.D5499CCD-7CB6-49C0-8C64-F5B702343125 (resized).jpegD5499CCD-7CB6-49C0-8C64-F5B702343125 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#12 1 year ago

Interesting solution to a fried rectifier on the fuse board:image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

He got this pin and had no idea what to do with it so he listed it for sale for $100. It was a 1.5 hour drive but I figured it was worth if for $100. It’s rough for sure!

I too would have gone after that one, glad it's no longer junk! I'll be eagerly watching your progress and thanks for documenting these.

#14 1 year ago

Playfield topside tear down underway. My first goal is to get the metal guides out and cleaned so they can go into the new playfield.

Shot of where they all go for reference. No broken guides, bonus!image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#15 1 year ago

Here’s my new rotisserie setup, the miter saw stand is on sale at Harbor Freight for $60 right now, the 1” square steel pipe is $27 at the local Lowe’s and the rotating plates are on Amazon for $20 for both as I recall. Hopefully it works well and is stable. My last one tended to have trouble keeping the playfield at an angle with mechs on it. We will see.

Also, first shot of the new CPR playfield!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

Wire guides cleaned, polished and ready to be installed tomorrow.

#17 1 year ago

Wire guides installed. One trick to use is that most wire guides are set at 1/2” tall which is the same thickness as an EM rebound puck so it makes a good spacer guide.image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

T nuts also installed. I use a rubber mallet and a nut driver when needed to put force on tough edges. Not sure if anyone has a better way.

#18 1 year ago

Pop bumper nails are installed. These were the originals which I cleaned and polished. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I use a countersink bit to make sure there is clearance for the nail heads to sit nice and flat.image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#20 1 year ago

That T Nut tool looks pretty cool. Wonder where they get that big metal disc with the felt on it? I’ll start looking around. Thanks!

#21 1 year ago

Tonight I got all the long shank sockets off the old playfield, derusted and cleaned. Since they were all in decent shape I will be re-using them. With so many sockets on this game it would have added a decent amount of cost to replace them all and I’m trying to keep this one at a reasonable price once it’s done and for sale.
Also derusted, cleaned and polished all the topside hardware. Shiny!image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#22 1 year ago

This is about the time I usually think “man, I hope this all goes back together…”

#23 1 year ago
#24 1 year ago

For anyone following the thread. The original plastic posts are all red on this game. I am considering whether to stick with the original red or maybe go clear? Thoughts?

#25 1 year ago

For anyone following the thread. The original plastic posts are all red on this game. I am considering whether to stick with the original red or maybe go clear? Thoughts?

I am mid swap on an HGT. I went clear on this one because my Skateball and FG just looked incredible after the PF Swaps using clear posts.

They add a lot of much needed light to these older Ballys.

#26 1 year ago

That T Nut tool looks pretty cool. Wonder where they get that big metal disc with the felt on it? I’ll start looking around.

Big Fender Washer and some peel and stick Felt works great.

#27 1 year ago

I would keep them red, as there's a lot of red on the playfield also and I'm a stickler for originality. But if you want to go with another color, maybe orange? Since it's basketball color?

#29 1 year ago

It’s a tight race! I’m leaning red to keep it more original since I am planning on selling this one. If I were keeping it I think I’d do clear personally but I would think people would be more accepting of the original post colors. I checked HEPs HG resto and he went red also.

Today I got the new pops installed and ran the ground braid. Lots of soldering upcoming…

#30 1 year ago

Just be sure to reinstall the special red post

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Just be sure to reinstall the special red post

Yep, saved that one for sure!! Those are hard to find!

#32 1 year ago

Waiting on parts to come in for the playfield so I decided to start on the harness refresh. Every switch will be cleaned, all diodes and capacitors replaced and solder will be reheated and refreshed. Hopefully that will avoid issues down the road. Sure is tedious work though!

#33 1 year ago

Minor update. Got parts in from Marco today (thanks for awesome fast shipping Marco!) so I replaced the spinner switches and installed the pop coils and switches.

This is all going slower than usual because (drum roll) there aren’t any dimples on the backside of this playfield!! I’m having to manually align, mark and drill every pilot hole. Sheesh…image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#34 1 year ago

Mine came dimpled, but 90% of them are off...so, not really much better.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Mine came dimpled, but 90% of them are off...so, not really much better.

Good news is this isn’t a super complicated playfield…

#36 1 year ago

No kidding. I just finished up a Flash Gordon. This thing looks like an empty studio apartment compared to that PF.

#37 1 year ago

Progress this weekend, a little slower than I hoped. Got the in-line drop target bank rebuilt. Installed all the mechs and coils. Rebuilt all the flippers. Had to remake one from scratch as it had been pirated sometime in the past and just had the flipper plate and flipper left. Left to do is installing the 6 new stand up targets and then soldering in all the lights. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#38 1 year ago

Nice.
Wrapped up here on Saturday. Other than an hour or so of switch adjustments, she fired right up and has been flipping solid since.

#39 1 year ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgEmerging from soldering hell! Got everything soldered up that I can while it’s on the rotisserie. Will proceed with the topside build and then go back and recheck all the wiring once more before I take it off the rotisserie. Huzzah!

#40 1 year ago

I like the idea of using red posts as well for originality. If I were to change the color though, I'd go with red, white and blue myself. That is the HG colors as well as our flag. Red at the bottoms, white off to the sides and blue at the tops on the slings and whatever order looks best everywhere else.

Looking amazing so far Gizz. Great job.

#41 1 year ago

With the help of a new pinball buddy we got the cabinet and backbox gutted and stripped today. Doing some minor repairs to the bottom and then will start the filling and sanding process. Also doing some of the playfield build up.image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#42 1 year ago

Question for those following the thread. The rails on this thing are pretty scratched up. I don’t think the scratches will sand out. So, I have two options. One is buy a new set of stainless rails for $100 plus shipping. The other is to powder coat the existing rails and lockdown bar the same red as the legs. I found a new powdercoater and I think they would do that for around $100 or so so it’s a wash on the money side.

Thoughts on a classic Bally with powder coated armor??

#43 1 year ago

I'm not a huge fan of powder coat on classic machines.
I'm also very cheap and would try everything possible to re-grain the original before dropping coin on new or a service like powder coat.
However I also only end paying myself about $0.18 per hour on my restorations, so a few hours to re-grain stainless isn't too costly.

#44 1 year ago

If I couldn't get the originals to sand, polish and shine up nice, I'd definitely go with the stainless replacements over the powder coat.

#45 1 year ago

Just came across this PantherCityPins restoration thread. The Getaway shown previously was my game, and Panther City Pinball did a superb job on the playfield swap. This was a project I was going to undertake on my own (would have been my first), but after more than six months with the playfield still sitting in my office I decided I needed to find a professional. After observing the process (since I'm local, I visited his shop a few times to watch) I can't tell you how happy I am with my choice to have outsourced the project. Rick was meticulous when it came to the swap and it really ended up being somewhat of a playfield restoration. He identified a variety of parts that were either wrong, broken, or hacked to get working back in the day to keep the game running. We replaced these parts with new and correct ones as needed, and he did a great job cleaning up and reutilizing everything else.

I could go on and on about the quality of his work, his attention to detail, and the how quickly he performed the work, but I've already done that in other posts so will refrain from doing it again here.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

If I couldn't get the originals to sand, polish and shine up nice, I'd definitely go with the stainless replacements over the powder coat.

Ok, that’s the way I was leaning too. I’m concerned that red powdercoat on this era of game will look weird. It’s a polar thing I think, it would either look awesome or terrible.

So, I’ll give the old rails a go on regraining and see what happens. I do have a Bally Lost World sitting in a corner that could donate a rail if needed as well.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just game across this Pinball_Gizzard restoration thread. The Getaway shown previously was my game, and Panther City Pinball did a superb job on the playfield swap. This was a project I was going to undertake on my own (would have been my first), but after more than six months with the playfield still sitting in my office I decided I needed to find a professional. After observing the process (since I'm local, I visited his shop a few times to watch) I can't tell you how happy I am with my choice to have outsourced the project. Rick was meticulous when it came to the swap and it really ended up being somewhat of a playfield restoration. He identified a variety of parts that were either wrong, broken, or hacked to get working back in the day to keep the game running. We replaced these parts with new and correct ones as needed, and he did a great job cleaning up and reutilizing everything else.
I could go on and on about the quality of his work, his attention to detail, and the how quickly he performed the work, but I've already done that in other posts so will refrain from doing it again here.

Thanks Chris!

#48 1 year ago

I second the New Original Vote...or, third. Whatever.

#49 1 year ago

Major gaps in the collar and cabinet joint are filled with an epoxy based wood filler. I like this stuff because you can use a little water and it feathers out pretty well. Once dry it also sands well.

And here’s a shot of the scratched up rail:image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#50 1 year ago

I think that rail might be savable after all. Did a bit more aggressive approach, sanded it with 80 grit then 120, then 180 and then 250 followed by a medium combi-wheel.

This was a quick run just to test, when I do it for real I’ll sand down to 400 or so and see what it looks like but the scratches are gone!image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pincredible-pinball-restoration-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.