(Topic ID: 211294)

Pincinnati!! The Greater Cincinnati Pinball Show (12/6/2024-12/8/2024)

By chuckwurt

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0622 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0152 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20231202_144646_01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231202_174128519 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231202_174136577 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9021 (resized).jpeg
    20231203_095721 (1) (resized).jpg
    20231201_190615 (resized).jpg
    20231201_190603 (resized).jpg
    20231201_190559 (resized).jpg
    20231201_184710 (resized).jpg
    20231201_174647 (resized).jpg
    20231201_174645 (resized).jpg
    20231201_174636 (resized).jpg
    20231201_160927 (resized).jpg
    20231201_160835 (resized).jpg
    There are 2,220 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 45.
    #1401 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I'm not a fan of leaving them on 24 hours for multiple days. there's nobody there to watch them and no one who knows what is up if something should go wrong so it's a non starter as far as I'm concerned with my games anyway. I know they had a game bringers after hours thing till 2am at least 1 night but I feel that Erik and Jerry do it right! There's plenty of time for folks to play and not to crowded for folks to have to wait in really long lines to play so if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    Phoebe

Ookay, I think you addressed/responded to some things that weren’t part of my post….

So, maybe a 24hr game room is a pipe dream. Understood. I didn’t know it was such a big deal.. yikes.

Having a game room open for a few extra hours ONE night of an expo is objectively not the same as “..leaving them on 24 hours for multiple days.” And you don’t seem to have an issue with the game room being open until 2am - when it’s open for you.

I’d assume that if a game room was open, it’d be adequately staffed just like the rest of the show. An unattended room would be a non starter for me as well. Thankfully they seemed pretty great about staffing, eh?

And Phoebe, I never said the expo was “broken” or needing “fixing” .. I asked about the possibility of expanded game room hours for one of the nights. Not everyone works 9-5 with weekends off and a couple extra hours with smaller crowds would be appreciated.

Like I’ve said, had I known late night game rooms were such a divisive topic, I wouldn’t have asked. Didn’t mean to ruffle anyone’s feathers.

Thanks for bringing games, if you did!

And thanks again to all who helped, we had a wonderful time - everyone we interacted with was super friendly!

#1402 2 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Welcome to Ohio! I hear you’re new in town and looking for new friends that play pinball.

Thanks! Have gotten involved in a regular league and tourney since moving back - having a blast with it!

This year was our first Pincinnati and we’re excited for the next!

#1403 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballogist:

Having a game room open for a few extra hours ONE night of an expo is objectively not the same as “..leaving them on 24 hours for multiple days.” And you don’t seem to have an issue with the game room being open until 2am - when it’s open for you.

I said that Pinball Expo in Chicago did this for a few years and the games were on 24 hours for multiple days there were not many who stayed up all night to play. I was not there for the after hours at Pincinnati...so this was a non issue for me. I just simply stated that it was available, not sure if it was just for folks who brought games or not. I just know that several mentioned it. I however was pretty much in my room by 10 or 11 each night because I had to get up early to go down and make sure my games were clean and running properly for folks to play.

And Phoebe, I never said the expo was “broken” or needing “fixing” .. I asked about the possibility of expanded game room hours for one of the nights. Not everyone works 9-5 with weekends off and a couple extra hours with smaller crowds would be appreciated.

I was simply saying that Erik and Jerry did it right and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is a saying that fits...never said you said it was broken...sorry your schedule is not conducive to that, hope it works out that you get a chance to come during the "open" hours of the show in the future! Keep Flippin"

Phoebe

#1404 2 years ago

and a couple extra hours with smaller crowds would be appreciated.

Come introduce yourself to me next year at closing and we will see what we can do.

#1405 2 years ago

Points are up! Pincinnati been berry berry good, to me...

#1406 2 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"14dfab9b84417cc7f2d07497da3e14c5f8984ecb-1639016061-1800"};
    //]]>

Major level up dude! Just outside the top 100. Now go to D82 in April and you’ll clean up!!

#1407 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Major level up dude! Just outside the top 100. Now go to D82 in April and you’ll clean up!!

I might do that. But I have another master plan... INDISC in February.

#1408 2 years ago

My first pinball event and it was awesome. Can’t wait for next year. I plan on getting some machines together to bring next year. It’ll give me an excuse to stay all weekend. Thanks for such a great event!

#1409 2 years ago
    Quoted from egibson606:

the large shirts were sold out by then.

PM me your information if you want a shirt we were out of. We will get an order in this week and should be able to ship them first week of January. My t-shirt guy has a busy December but should be able to ship them by first week in January.

#1410 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

PM me your information if you want a shirt we were out of. We will get an order in this week and should be able to ship them first week of January. My t-shirt guy has a busy December but should be able to ship them by first week in January.

Any XLTs for tall guys?

#1411 2 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Any XLTs for tall guys?

I don’t think so. I can ask.

#1412 2 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You killed it last weekend. Was nice playing with you. My 5th place on Friday was a nice chunk of points, too.

#1413 2 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"6448c4f9cb56c344747e4e80ead59a6bd9bb1469-1639066290-1800"};
    //]]>

You’re about to get more points. Chad Hobbs and Scott Elliot were not in the results. Haha. Fixing now.

#1414 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

You killed it last weekend. Was nice playing with you. My 5th place on Friday was a nice chunk of points, too.

Robert, great playing and it was nice to meet you!

#1415 2 years ago

Gave Pincinnati my twipy vote! Thx for all you guys do Erik

#1416 2 years ago

I made a huge jump in rankings. Didn't even know that the Gauntlet would be giving points. The place / points curve seems to be polynomial or something, definitely not linear.

#1417 2 years ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

I made a huge jump in rankings. Didn't even know that the Gauntlet would be giving points. The place / points curve seems to be polynomial or something, definitely not linear.

My statistical and math terminology is very crappy now a days, but basically the weight of a tournament is based on the number of games played. Also, you get a boost if the matches are 3-4 player groups.

In the gauntlet, it is very low weight because you’re playing alone (no direct play), and the tasks can be completed in one ball, so you’ll only get 1/3 credit for each game. So, 6 games per round and 1/3 credit for each so only basically playing 2 games per round, 3 rounds, 6 games total for the tournament.

To get full value for IFPA, you have to play 25 games.

For Saturday matchplay, we are playing 4 player groups. We get 2x bonus for that. So each round you get credit for 2 games even though you’re only playing one.

So even after qualifying, we are already up to 16 of the 25 games needed.

Then finals gets us the rest of the way.

#1418 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My statistical and math terminology is very crappy now a days, but basically the weight of a tournament is based on the number of games played. Also, you get a boost if the matches are 3-4 player groups.
    In the gauntlet, it is very low weight because you’re playing alone (no direct play), and the tasks can be completed in one ball, so you’ll only get 1/3 credit for each game. So, 6 games per round and 1/3 credit for each so only basically playing 2 games per round, 3 rounds, 6 games total for the tournament.
    To get full value for IFPA, you have to play 25 games.
    For Saturday matchplay, we are playing 4 player groups. We get 2x bonus for that. So each round you get credit for 2 games even though you’re only playing one.
    So even after qualifying, we are already up to 16 of the 25 games needed.
    Then finals gets us the rest of the way.

Isn't there also a new bonus for having over 64 players?

#1419 2 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Isn't there also a new bonus for having over 64 players?

Maybe. Not aware of that. I do know, that the .5 points you get for everyone that is a rated player (at least 5 events under their belt), that caps at 64 players. So max 32 points from rated players.

You may be thinking of IFPA certification which is new. One of those requirements is your tournament needs to have at least 64 players and your event could get a 20% points boost. But there are other requirements too. Namely, qualifying and finals cannot be the same day. Hence, Pincinnati won’t get that boost.

#1420 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe. Not aware of that. I do know, that the .5 points you get for everyone that is a rated player (at least 5 events under their belt), that caps at 64 players. So max 32 points from rated players.
    You may be thinking of IFPA certification which is new. One of those requirements is your tournament needs to have at least 64 players and your event could get a 20% points boost. But there are other requirements too. Namely, qualifying and finals cannot be the same day. Hence, Pincinnati won’t get that boost.

I truly feel like the IFPA points are out of control....

#1421 2 years ago

I truly feel like the IFPA points are out of control....

I just want to feel like my ranking is accurate based off my own person smell test. I feel they do a good job of that.

#1422 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just want to feel like my ranking is accurate based off my own person smell test. I feel they do a good job of that.

I understand where you are coming from. I just feel like there is a conversation to be had about large vs small tournaments, and large vs small markets.

I also know there is no perfect system and they are doing what they feel is right. So kudos to them for that.

#1423 2 years ago

I understand where you are coming from. I just feel like there is a conversation to be had about large vs small tournaments, and large vs small markets.
    I also know there is no perfect system and they are doing what they feel is right. So kudos to them for that.

The higher you get up there, the more you need the big tournaments to rise. Local 16 to 20 player tourneys don't hit your points unless you win (and if you are top 200, even winning might not be enough to move the needle). Second place isn't enough to overtake other events that are under your belt.

#1424 2 years ago

Yeah there’s definitely a ceiling to your rank if you’re not willing to travel to big events or do not have a large event in your area. So there will always be people that are much better than their rank, and also people that live near a WPPR farm that are a lot worse than their rank.

#1425 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The higher you get up there, the more you need the big tournaments to rise. Local 16 to 20 player tourneys don't hit your points unless you win (and if you are top 200, even winning might not be enough to move the needle). Second place isn't enough to overtake other events that are under your belt.

I understand how it works, I just don't tend to like it.

#1426 2 years ago

What I really like is the states system. Even though I would need to win all local events to get them on my 20 tournament world rank card, they all count for states points which in most respects means more to me than anything.

#1427 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What I really like is the states system. Even though I would need to win all local events to get them on my 20 tournament world rank card, they all count for states points which in most respects means more to me than anything.

Yeah the state stuff is pretty cool, I agree with you there.

#1428 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The problem with the state rankings is there still may not be many tournaments near me. For our case we have an occasional tournament in Newport. But Louisville seems to have at least one a week. We need to get Jesse to have more tournaments in Newport

#1429 2 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

The problem with the state rankings is there still may not be many tournaments near me. For our case we have an occasional tournament in Newport. But Louisville seems to have at least one a week. We need to get Jesse to have more tournaments in Newport

I think the goal of Newport is to get 30-40 per event they have and have it be worth 3-4 times the bi weeklies we used to have. So instead of getting 6-8 points for winning you’ll get 20-25 points.

#1430 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the goal of Newport is to get 30-40 per event they have and have it be worth 3-4 times the bi weeklies we used to have. So instead of getting 6-8 points for winning you’ll get 20-25 points.

Oh that would be nice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make the ones he had there Hopefully next year I will make most of them.

#1431 2 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Oh that would be nice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make the ones he had there Hopefully next year I will make most of them.

Yeah that’s the rub too. If you miss them, you’re SOL.

#1432 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah there’s definitely a ceiling to your rank if you’re not willing to travel to big events or do not have a large event in your area. So there will always be people that are much better than their rank, and also people that live near a WPPR farm that are a lot worse than their rank.

So true! When I look at a players rank, I also look at their rating. You'll have a player that is ranked 345, but rated 2,749. That's a WPPR farm area player.

Then you have the opposite. To use Stephen Prusa as an example. Ranking is 63rd but his rating is 6th. That tells me he's probably even better than his ranking indicates.

However, there's a big BUT to this. Rating is more recent based, meaning what you've done lately can greatly affect your rating. Have one bad tournament where a bunch of players finish in front of you who are ranked lower than you and your rating will plummet.

#1433 2 years ago

Zach did a nice walk through video of the show

#1434 2 years ago

That looks like an amazing event. Sadly a bit too far for me.

Were the tournaments streamed? If so, are thy on YouTube?

#1435 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

That looks like an amazing event. Sadly a bit too far for me.
    Were the tournaments streamed? If so, are thy on YouTube?

https://www.twitch.tv/sdtmpinball

#1436 2 years ago

Thx so much. I looked on YT, but hadn’t considered Twitch.

#1437 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Zach did a nice walk through video of the show

Complete with a Grizz double bird flip.

#1438 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

Thx so much. I looked on YT, but hadn’t considered Twitch.

I’ll get them up on my chuckwurt YouTube channel eventually. Subscribe there to get alerts when I upload stuff. Thanks for the interest!!

#1439 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Complete with a Grizz double bird flip.

Thank god it wasnt the triple..

#1440 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

#1441 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Not sure why it wasn't the triple, He was excited being there!

2 weeks later
    #1442 2 years ago

We made the final voting round for the TWIPYs!! Please mark your calendars for 1/3/2022 so you can help us win a twipy!

5CEAF630-E64E-4377-B375-C939B814DCE4 (resized).jpeg5CEAF630-E64E-4377-B375-C939B814DCE4 (resized).jpeg60BA3B73-D42A-407D-84B2-959131AB23D8 (resized).jpeg60BA3B73-D42A-407D-84B2-959131AB23D8 (resized).jpeg87384DA9-ABB4-463C-82FC-AB5C87E74BB8 (resized).jpeg87384DA9-ABB4-463C-82FC-AB5C87E74BB8 (resized).jpeg
    #1443 2 years ago

You know Pincinnati has my vote brother!

20211203_225353[59] (resized).jpg20211203_225353[59] (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #1444 2 years ago

Hey someone had a The Games in the back corner of the room for like $800. If the owners on here or if anyone knows them let me know. Thanks

#1445 2 years ago
    Quoted from luckycreature:

Hey someone had a The Games in the back corner of the room for like $800. If the owners on here or if anyone knows them let me know. Thanks

metallik can you help them out?

3 weeks later
    #1446 2 years ago

Erik what were the results, Pincinnati win any category?

#1447 2 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Erik what were the results, Pincinnati win any category?

7th in voting for best convention and 5th in voting for best tournament.

Very happy we made it that far!! Thanks for all the support everyone!

1 month later
    #1448 1 year ago

I’m rolling in with twister! I have my vacation locked in. Not doing a tourney Saturday. Lots of waiting. I could of had lots hanging time with my brother. I missed Russ. Ain’t doing it again. Maybe Friday on the tourney. I just want to chill and have fun.

#1449 1 year ago

Sweet! I don’t think we have ever had twister at the show. Can’t wait!!

#1450 1 year ago

My Pto for this year has been approved. Got my f5 ready to buy tourney tickets in July.

There are 2,220 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pincinnati-the-greater-cincinnati-pinball-show-1130-122/page/29?hl=luckycreature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.