Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rawbars
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Blue Leg Light-Ups on  Stern Star Trek (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170327_125411 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hey guys,

I have a MMr and TZ, and wanted to know if it is advised to use PinCab protectors: http://pinballfanatic.com/products/pincab-protectors/

Seems most of what I read suggests using metal protectors under the legs, but it seems more sensible that plastic would be kinder to the cabinet. I also like that it is sticks out a bit to protect the cabinet from the edges of the legs.

Any input would be appreciated

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Hey guys,
    I have a MMr and TZ, and wanted to know if it is advised to use PinCab protectors: http://pinballfanatic.com/products/pincab-protectors/
    Seems most of what I read suggests using metal protectors under the legs, but it seems more sensible that plastic would be kinder to the cabinet. I also like that it is sticks out a bit to protect the cabinet from the edges of the legs.
    Any input would be appreciated

MMR was shipped with metal ones, Stern ships plastic I think. Not sure about Stern though.

#3 7 years ago

I'd stay away from them, all that's going to do is hide the current damage and extend it to where the pincab protector hits the cabinet.
    get the metal ones if you can find them
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-0599-00
    they add a small gap so there is no wear btwn the legs and artwork.

I found this out the hard way and took them off all my machines.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

MMR was shipped with metal ones, Stern ships plastic I think. Not sure about Stern though.

Yes, I have the metal ones on both machines now.

I started looking at alternatives, as TZ has a 2 options for installing the legs (high and low) and I wanted to change the protectors so I didn't have to drill two more holes in my cabinet when I raised the legs up.

You'll see below that the cabinet has some damage to it. Not sure if the metal protectors were always on, but if so, isn't it supposed to protect from this?

IMG_20170327_125411 (resized).jpgIMG_20170327_125411 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

You'll see below that the cabinet has some damage to it. Not sure if the metal protectors were always on, but if so, isn't it supposed to protect from this?

These metal protectors didn't exist until a couple of years ago or so, definitely long after TZ was manufactured. So there is no way the metal protectors were "always on" a TZ machine.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

These metal protectors didn't exist until a couple of years ago or so, definitely long after TZ was manufactured. So there is no way the metal protectors were "always on" a TZ machine.

Good to know!

Do you think I can use the protector behind the legs without screwing them to the cabinet? It would save me from putting two new holes in the cabinet when I raise the legs.

#7 7 years ago

I'd just drill the holes if I was you, you can always bondo the other holes later.

#8 7 years ago

Is it possible to put the metal protectors on without screwing them into the cabinet.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Is it possible to put the metal protectors on without screwing them into the cabinet.

Sure it is, just slide the bolt through the leg and the metal protector then put the leg on.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Yes, I have the metal ones on both machines now.
    I started looking at alternatives, as TZ has a 2 options for installing the legs (high and low) and I wanted to change the protectors so I didn't have to drill two more holes in my cabinet when I raised the legs up.

My Leg Light-Up mod bolts right over the small metal or plastic protectors so they don't come in contact with your cab.....and they look great too.

Blue Leg Light-Ups on  Stern Star Trek (resized).jpgBlue Leg Light-Ups on Stern Star Trek (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

I've never seen those leg light-up mods before - thanks for sharing. Not sure why one of your images got an "unsafe" tag though as nothing in that image looks unsafe to me. Also, the carpet in that first picture looks wild!

With the original question in the thread, I was wondering if applying the metal version of the Stern leg protectors without screwing them to the cabinet would provide the same cabinet protection as when the protector is screwed directly to the cabinet. When mounted only with the leg bolts then the leg bolts provide all the attachment points. Could there be more movement of the leg/protector combination this way than there would be when the protector is screwed to the cabinet?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

If you don't screw them to the cabinet you're semi-defeating their function. The idea is the screws keep them from moving around and damaging the cabinet. Of course the damage will be under the legs and won't show so I guess it's personal preference.

Since they're a permanent attachment I would not be worried about adding the additional screw holes.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

I've never seen those leg light-up mods before - thanks for sharing. Not sure why one of your images got an "unsafe" tag though as nothing in that image looks unsafe to me. Also, the carpet in that first picture looks wild!
    With the original question in the thread, I was wondering if applying the metal version of the Stern leg protectors without screwing them to the cabinet would provide the same cabinet protection as when the protector is screwed directly to the cabinet. When mounted only with the leg bolts then the leg bolts provide all the attachment points. Could there be more movement of the leg/protector combination this way than there would be when the protector is screwed to the cabinet?

Thanks, I've been making them for about a year in a bunch of different colors, find my topic "New LED Leg Light-Ups", a bunch of pictures and comments. Yeah no idea why it's marked unsafe. The carpet is called Under the Sea and it's black light reactive. The room REALLY lights up with it.

Quoted from RoyF:

When mounted only with the leg bolts then the leg bolts provide all the attachment points. Could there be more movement of the leg/protector combination this way than there would be when the protector is screwed to the cabinet?

Sure there could but I haven't seen any. If someone was that worried others have cut the decal all the way around the small protector to be on the safe side. Some have taken the cut portion of the decal off while others have left it on.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

If you don't screw them to the cabinet you're semi-defeating their function. The idea is the screws keep them from moving around and damaging the cabinet. Of course the damage will be under the legs and won't show so I guess it's personal preference.

Yup there's that too.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

you could use some double backed tape and tape them to the legs. But I am with others here. You are better off to screw them to your cabinet; That way they are locked into position and will not slide around to make more damage. It is just one screw hole that you will never see.

Pinball life has some that are made of felt. I have those one one cabinet. I like them and might use them again. With felt you do not need to screw them on.

6 months later
    #16 6 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Since they're a permanent attachment I would not be worried about adding the additional screw holes.

What are the best size screws for this? Thanks.

#17 6 years ago

The larger colored pincab protectors have been known to cause cabinet damage also, especially to decals. However they do a good job of hiding existing leg damage. So I always install the smaller metal cabinet protectors underneath them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pincab-protectors-can-i-use-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.