(Topic ID: 194840)

Pinburgh- wishes, suggestions?

By silver_spinner

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

First and foremost, thank you to all who make it possible. We all know its an outstanding event and the techs, td's, staff are top notch. I'll start off with a couple of my suggestions/questions, which may or may not be taken into consideration.
    Either way, feel free to comment on my suggestions or anything else you suggest (nicely Please). They are really a group of fantastic people:

1) As far as check in on playoff day for players who make the playoffs, if a player has a 1 round or 2 round bye, can it be possible not to have to check in early in the morning as others who start playing right at 10am? With 2 long days of playing morning to late night with only one "break" per day, sleep is needed and if you played well enough to earn byes, sleep would be nice.
    Also, how about being able to check in via text, email, or something other than having to show up in person to do it?

2) Why cant we know the finals games in advance of the event? AT least we could go out, find em and play them in the wild or study them well enough in case we make the playoffs. Not having much time on most of the games in this finals bank and not being familiar with exploits per game (like leaving ramp down purposely on jokerz but not locking a ball because the down ramp makes balls not drain to the middle from top of play field), indeed hurt my performance this time and I'm sure it rendered others. I've played half of those games in the bank less than 5 times or zero times in my pinball life.
    The 30 second practice is appreciated but I'm not sure it helps much. In 30 seconds, by the time i pressed start and plunged a ball, i had to "switch" games before ball even touched flippers on a few games being in pop bumpers etc...lol. and if someone purposely tilted to test the tilt when we are told to "switch" that makes it even worse. whats knowing the finals games gonna hurt? We all would perform better and it won't hurt the pot value or any other $$$ wise or time wise.

3) Any way possible to have wifi in the event center avail for FREE? Can't see the stage screens from spectators seats well enough and cant watch the live feed on phone or device without wifi. Also, why not have games on mics at least for finals games. watching a game on screen with no sound still just seems odd to me. It would surely involve the crowd more to hear whats going on. Dry erase boards on stage or front row floor showing each groups current points per player would be great. I'm sure spectators would volunteer to keep track on the boards, no added staff needed.
    I was lost trying to figure who had how many points and others kept asking me over and over who had what esp patrons who had just sat down or walked up to watch..and i had no answer.

that's my thoughts. if any are addressed great, if not, no biggie. Just suggestions. i may be the only one who agrees on any points i made.

#2 6 years ago

Of the things mentioned thus far, I don't have any issues.

However, here are a few things that I think could use some improvement. Some are very minor but here goes:

-On Saturday night, put the current stream (or just the table) for A finals for the people AT THE EVENT on a projector + screen, off to the side of the stage. It's impossible to tell what is going on unless you were in the first two rows. Most of the people I was with just walked away or lost interest when they couldn't tell what the scores were or even see the ball. You know how great the head to head video game screen looked? I bought myself watching it more than once and it was great. You need something like that for A finals.

-Why is Jack Danger making comments between balls and games that lasted 3-10 minutes for each player? That was the most annoying thing at an event that I have ever experienced. It makes sense at the beginning of each game to introduce players and give the point standings but beyond that, I don't see the reasoning. He literally was on stage for 3-4 hours and spoke for about 4 minutes total.

-The bastardizing of games. Ok, for the main tournament qualifying days, maybe the whole lightning flippers and removal of rubbers makes more sense because A players of the highest ranking would be playing them along with everyone else. However, once the groups were broken down in to the Saturday A, B, C and D finals, it seems that banks were randomly chosen with all the ridiculous mods left in place. I understand time is a concern there but the banks for C and D didn't need any ridiculous modifications in place like lightning flippers or posts removed. Certainly for A players, that stuff is to be expected. The other groups, not so much.

-Why couldn't you utilize the "video out" port on the Jersey Jack games? Makes more sense than trying to rig up a separate camera for blurry ass scores that you can't read.

I had a blast this year and I thank everyone involved for a well run tournament!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-wishes-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.