Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 477 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ninjadoug
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C96F18F3-E244-4D28-BC36-B2C5AD16E6FF (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    67615664_2410637449030580_3595774730772152320_n (resized).jpg
    DSC_0295-2 (resized).jpg
    FB96C1DD-51ED-4B8D-B9B8-6BDFF55C4237 (resized).jpeg
    Reopening Pennsylvania Document.pdf (PDF preview)
    vaffanculo-corona (resized).jpg
    tony (resized).jpg
    04CAACFE-F6E7-4303-B840-84D701358A73 (resized).jpeg
    A57E20CC-04EA-40F9-B65D-C724366AAE99 (resized).jpeg
    28D507C1-A37A-4155-9923-3C18E37B38CC.gif
    60411972058__E21CB40D-8125-463E-BFDF-B803AA164BC3 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9550 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9548 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9541 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

Will there be any online indication of the waitlist getting deleted at 1 PM to make sure it is OK to sign up?

"*All waitlist signups that occur prior to February 22nd at 1PM EST will be deleted from the system.*"

That just sounds wacky that I could accidentally sign up at 12:59:59 and then get clipped from it. Yet if I sign up at 1:00:02 three seconds later there could be hundreds of people already on it.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Should probably make sure you don't sign up before 1:00 in that case.

Unhelpful. Oh, Levi? Oh, yeah, thanks man. I'll get right on that as soon as I get the timeserver they sync to.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on, my suggestion is at least as helpful as expecting a change in the system, or an answer from those guys less than 24 hours before the onsale. Not sure what you are expecting.

It isn't that I'm expecting a change in the system. This is the third year in a row that the system is totally different, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to maximize my chances of getting a ticket with the newest way of doing things. Put simply, I plan my main vacation of the year around Pinburgh, because it is the best pinball event out there. Better than any show, better than any other tournament. I'm a crap player who will be thrilled to compete in C this year. But this trip is always a blast. From talking to other players the first morning at breakfast, to the meatballs, to the burgers down the road, followed by competing the last day against players right at my skill level when it is all about being able to hold it together and put good games on the table. If that ends up being me on the waitlist standing at the desk at 9 AM on the first day, that is what I'll do. If I can increase my chances of getting in by 1%, I'll do it, and knowing how to leverage the rules... hey, I'm a Patriots fan.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Myles32:

Are they having VIP tickets this year ? Last year they went on sale before the regular tickets. Don’t see any info on the VIP tickets
    Anyone have any info ?

They are not doing them this year. The VIP section went away for expanding the Intergalactic Tournament.

#24 4 years ago

Pinburgh (resized).pngPinburgh (resized).png

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Keith Elwin has loaned us 40+ games for Pinburgh for the past 3 years, so that example is an exception because we grant him a ticket for that reason.

I'll remember this. If I don't get a ticket next year I just need to show up with 80 thousand dollars worth of games

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of seeing the same 5 guys win every major tournament..

Personally I love watching them. I love watching the A division finals on Saturday. Those 5 guys are there at the end of tournaments because they are the best players. Every one of them earns their spot in each tournament by playing better than all other players.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Just like any good competition/event - it's great to be there live with a crowd of like minded 'fans' that react as things happen.

I always wonder if the players even hear us cheer or groan from the audience. Just that second of delay as we see what is happening in front of them.

And this is not a critique... I'd love to see a second camera rig running during the finals. When they are down to two groups, I'd like to be able to see both groups playing. But I know that might cause a bit of confusion.

Quoted from epthegeek:

/not going this year
    //am sad

Sorry to hear it.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Condado Tacos is a chain and Pittsburgh has too many good local restaurants to waste time there.

It might be a chain, and yes, Pittsburgh has a ton of good food... but you can't really call it a waste of time there, because it's a damn good taco. And a good taco... well, it's a good taco.
    So TACOS FOR EVERYBODY!So TACOS FOR EVERYBODY STAYING IN MY HOTEL ROOM!

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from ahanson:

I would say Condado is just mediocre.

Quoted from Grandnational007:

I don't get people's fetishized fascination with tacos.

I like their freaking tacos. I will have tacos there at least once or twice during Pinburgh, and I will enjoy them. I'll also have a burger at August Henry's. And even worse, meatballs! Nothing is "fetishized" about the tacos, I just like to eat them. I mean it's not like I'm going to Ten Penny for a burger (yuck).

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Have never been to this show. Thinking about checking it out this year. Is it like Pintastic and Pinfest where there are games for sale at the show? Is there a separate thread for games for sale? Thanks for your help.

Replay/FX and Pinburgh are all about playing. Pintastic and Pinfest are great at what they do, but they are very different from this show. I love Pintastic and Pinfest, but I have to admit that the games can be marginal. Not Gabe’s fantastic games, but a lot of different people bring games for free play in hopes of selling them. And both of those shows have vendors for parts and stuff.

Replay and Pinburgh put on a show where you play amazing games, and they have an amazing group of techs that keep them that way. They put in crazy hours and work so we can play these games. If you’re not playing in Pinburgh, you still get to play most of the Pinburgh machines when they open up the majority of them Friday night. There, you will play lots of machines you’ve never played. Each Pinburgh bank of 4 is made up of 4 different era games, so you get modern, classic, em, all kinds of games. There is no question it’s worth going to. I’ve been the last two years, and if I hadn’t got a ticket this year, I still would have gone for the games alone. If you like pins, this is the place to be.

And yeah, the techs make the show. Everyone involved puts in a huge amount of work, but it’s the boots on the ground that keeps these games playing so well.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Are the entry tickets sold out as well as the tournament?

No. The Replay tickets don't sell out. I usually buy those a couple weeks before it happens, just in case my plans have to change between now and then. You can even buy them right at the show by waiting in line there.

The Pinburgh tickets (the tournament, not the show) are just a different animal. There are only_ 1000 of them, and they disappear within seconds.

1 week later
    #242 4 years ago

I had figured that any decisions on Pinburgh were a couple months away. For the show itself, and for me to see if I felt comfortable going there with the crowds all touching the same flipper buttons as me.

Currently I’m an odd combination of hopeful and pessimistic.

1 week later
    #251 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckycreature:

Im still holding out hope that it happens and if it doesnt hoping papa will carry the registrations for pinburgh over to next year so we dont have to play the lottery again.

Agreed! I was lucky enough to get one this year, and if it doesn't happen, I hope it just carries over for when it does happen.

I'm in that odd state where I'm worried equally about it being cancelled and it NOT being cancelled. But I realize it is way too early to make that decision on it. Things are still changing too rapidly to really know. It's even too early to go through the hassle of trying to just postpone for a couple months.

#256 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There’s a lot of people who will remain spooked about large gatherings for a long time past the official “all clear” as well.

Yes there are, and I will be one of them. I'm going to let people that feel immortal go out and test the world for me first.

2 weeks later
    #286 4 years ago
    Quoted from CRWgxp:

I've seen a number of posts suggesting move reservations to 2021 but I'm in the opposite camp. I wasn't able to attend this year so didn't go for tickets this year, but next year I don't anticipate that being a problem. There are certainly others in the same boat I am.
    Having said all of that I totally understand those with tickets just wanting them moved to 2021 should this year be canceled. It's a tough decision for organizers. No matter what people are going to be upset and/or disappointed if there's no Pinburgh this year.

If it’s canceled there will be 1000 people that want to move the tickets to next year, and another 1000 that didn’t get tickets who want the F5 refresh lottery to happen again. There’s just no good answer. I’m getting to the point that if they do have it this year, I’m not sure I’ll even go. This is the one vacation I look forward to all year, but it’s starting to feel like it would be too risky to go this year.

#291 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

If they cancel this year I say they allow people a choice to either get a refund now or get a guaranteed spot for next year with the provision they buy a new ticket. The Relay Foundation shouldn't have to suffer and I would gladly donate knowing I won't have to F5 next year. Should open up a lot of spots for next year for those that want immediate refunds.

That’s an interesting take on it. Kind of a creative idea where everybody that got a ticket this year can decide what they want to do. It is a bit of an expensive reservation fee, but Replay wins. I wonder if there are any legal issues with it, but if you want your money back, you get your money back. Interesting.

1 week later
    #302 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

that means they will be trying to keep us all happy

I do not envy them. I just don't see how they could keep everyone happy. But don't worry, I'm not going to give them any crap if I'm in the group that is unhappy. Unfortunately this is the Kobayashi Maru, and half of us are stuck on there, while the other half has to decide to enter the neutral zone or not. And I don't think anyone is coming to reprogram the simulation.

1 week later
    #314 3 years ago
    Quoted from daveddd14:

Furries Convention the week before Pinburgh just cancelled.

I’ve learned something today.

https://www.anthrocon.org/

04CAACFE-F6E7-4303-B840-84D701358A73 (resized).jpeg04CAACFE-F6E7-4303-B840-84D701358A73 (resized).jpeg

#330 3 years ago

I came for the pinball... but I stayed for the furries.

tony (resized).jpgtony (resized).jpg

#348 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...so much for that.

It's the right thing to do.

#360 3 years ago

I just cancelled my hotel reservation. This is your reminder to cancel yours.

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

I was at one of the partner hotels. It looks like it automatically canceled for me.

Mine was at the Drury. There wasn’t a block there this year, but I stayed there the last two years, and I really liked it. Staying in the hotel block would be cheaper, but when I find something I really like, I tend to go there again.

Of course this means I won’t even be taking a vacation this year. That’s kind of a bummer.

2 months later
    #381 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'd be having meatballs for lunch in a few hours.

Ouch, I didn't even realize tomorrow was the day. I have put it so far out of my mind since it was postponed. That would have put me in NYC last night for a great dinner and some walking around to see the freaks. I'd currently be all checked in at the Drury and I probably would have just finished dinner. I'd be pretending I was going to get a good nights sleep before the tournament started, and I would have my game plan all drawn up (Step 1: Win every match. Step 2: Regret the loss, but win the next one.). Sigh.

2 months later
    #382 3 years ago

Fond memories of last year.

DSC_0295-2 (resized).jpgDSC_0295-2 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #388 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

As for 2021, the question is what will the cap on gathering size be then?

It is way too early to know anything about the middle of 2021. Either way, I think the team running Pinburgh will make the right decision when it is time, just like 2020.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I still say kill 2020 (yes that means the Satellite tournaments) and re do the full buy rush. Or keep the Satellite tournaments winners and do an new buy rush.

The whole thing was a no win situation. No matter what decision the crew came to, someone was going to be upset. Personally I would have hated to be in their shoes. But if I was, I think I would have decided exactly what they did. It sucks that they were put in that position, but that is the world we are in right now.

2 weeks later
    #417 3 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Chances for a 2021 Pinburgh aren't looking good...
    "While the Foundation is not dissolving, we are liquidating most of our physical assets and cancelling all of our public events. Over the coming months, the Foundation will retire all of its debts, including the refund of prepaid tickets, and will exist solely as an online resource for the foreseeable future."
    https://replayfoundation.org/2020-announcement/

This is just horrible news.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-repaly-fx-2020-thread?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.