Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 477 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ninjadoug
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C96F18F3-E244-4D28-BC36-B2C5AD16E6FF (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    67615664_2410637449030580_3595774730772152320_n (resized).jpg
    DSC_0295-2 (resized).jpg
    FB96C1DD-51ED-4B8D-B9B8-6BDFF55C4237 (resized).jpeg
    Reopening Pennsylvania Document.pdf (PDF preview)
    vaffanculo-corona (resized).jpg
    tony (resized).jpg
    04CAACFE-F6E7-4303-B840-84D701358A73 (resized).jpeg
    A57E20CC-04EA-40F9-B65D-C724366AAE99 (resized).jpeg
    28D507C1-A37A-4155-9923-3C18E37B38CC.gif
    60411972058__E21CB40D-8125-463E-BFDF-B803AA164BC3 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9550 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9548 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9541 (resized).JPG
    There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
    #51 4 years ago

To anyone who thinks they can come on here and tell ninjadoug how to run things, you are a moron. Pinburgh is a seamlessly run event that PAPA continues to make better each year. If you think you can run a better 1000 player tournament, then just get busy.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

You can attend. The show itself isn't sold out.

No shit. I attended PAPA and Pinburgh nearly every year so I am quite familiar with everything. I was talking specifically about the tournament which is the main reason to attended the show.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

To anyone who thinks they can come on here and tell ninjadoug how to run things, you are a moron. Pinburgh is a seamlessly run event that PAPA continues to make better each year. If you think you can run a better 1000 player tournament, then just get busy.

I’d upvote this 10 times if I could

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

I don't think anyone is complaining about how Pinburgh is run... there's a reason it sells out instantaneously - it's run impeccably. That said, from the consumer perspective, registering for tickets or the waitlist is confusing and frustrating. @ninjadoug's explanation as to why they separate the times for ticket and waitlist registration was helpful to understand from the organizer's perspective.

I have no animosity to @ninjadoug, as I very much appreciate the effort and time that everyone puts into running a tournament like this.

#55 4 years ago

And I didn’t get in this year, btw!

Fingers crossed for another wait list entry into pinburgh!

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Why does the site post this:
    "The waitlist for Pinburgh 2020 is located here. Please note that all waitlist signups that occur prior to 1PM on February 22nd will be deleted."
    Yet, it allows waitlist registration right now... Why even allow this if you are going to delete them?

It might not be their fault. These sites (show click, eventbrite) aren’t Ticketmaster - they have various quirks and limitations that may require inelegant workarounds. I can tell you this from experience.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok I’m in.
    So how do you scalp these things?
    If you didn’t get one I’d keep trying. There’s a 15 minute clock and the large groups of Mensa members trying to buy tickets for each other this morning will be releasing their unwanted ducats.

I'm in! Great advice, Thank you!

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Never mind my previously posted rant. I'm in.

Quoted from ninjadoug:

You would assume incorrectly.

Hey! No fair! I deleted that post and basically admitted my wrongdoing. Sorry, Doug.

(But really...if Keith Elwin couldn't get an entry into Pinburgh because he was...say...busy designing the next pinball masterpiece, you're telling me he'd be out for the year? I find that difficult to believe...)

#59 4 years ago

They should start matching IFPA numbers to ticket holders now.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

No shit. I attended PAPA and Pinburgh nearly every year so I am quite familiar with everything. I was talking specifically about the tournament which is the main reason to attended the show.

More people actually attend the show for non-Pinburgh reasons than Pinburgh. I wasn't trying to insult you, just trying to add some levity. You would be amazed at the DMs and emails we receive after Pinburgh sells out.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey! No fair! I deleted that post and basically admitted my wrongdoing. Sorry, Doug.
    (But really...if Keith Elwin couldn't get an entry into Pinburgh because he was...say...busy designing the next pinball masterpiece, you're telling me he'd be out for the year? I find that difficult to believe...)

Keith Elwin has loaned us 40+ games for Pinburgh for the past 2 years, so that example is an exception because we grant him a ticket for that reason.

No player gets in because of their 'status'. Full transparency, we had 22 tickets set aside this year for folks who helped/help us out on an amazing level or won one of the satellite events. None of them attained their ticket because of their 'status'.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

They should start matching IFPA numbers to ticket holders now.

We do ask for eveyone's IFPA ID when they buy a ticket, but for some, this is their first event.

#63 4 years ago

So here's another frustration (as feedback):

So, I registered for the waitlist prior to 1:00 pm (as the link was available, and there's no room for the error of not taking a chance). The system gave me a confirmation of being on the waitlist.

So, given that the site indicates that all waitlist registrations made prior to 1:00 pm will be deleted, I tried to re-register for the waitlist at 1:00 pm, but it says that I've already registered, and can't register again as that email is already registered.

Am I registered for the waitlist or not? If not, how can I register?

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Keith Elwin has loaned us 40+ games for Pinburgh for the past 3 years, so that example is an exception because we grant him a ticket for that reason.

I'll remember this. If I don't get a ticket next year I just need to show up with 80 thousand dollars worth of games

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Keith Elwin has loaned us 40+ games for Pinburgh for the past 3 years, so that example is an exception because we grant him a ticket for that reason.
    No player gets in because of their 'status'. Full transparency, we had 22 tickets set aside this year for folks who helped/help us out on an amazing level. None of them attained their ticket because of their 'status'.

unlike many, I actually think that you should give out more than 22 spots prior to registration opening. I think that each state/providence/country champion should have a guaranteed slot (not free, but guaranteed) although that might be about 100 tix, not all of them would go, so those spots could go to waitlist people

#66 4 years ago

well, we somehow in the confusion ended up with 15 tickets for 7 people. So much for 'it checks for duplicates'...
    Those will be freed up shortly, I hope.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkInc:

well, we somehow in the confusion ended up with 15 tickets for 7 people. So much for 'it checks for duplicates'...

It doesn't check for duplicates for ticket sales that I am aware of. If folks buy tickets for the same people, they will have to get a refund based on the Pinburgh refund schedule and those tickets will go to waitlisters.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkInc:

I'd be curious as to the stats for how much coordinated gang-purchasing has increased. Seems like most people I know get into pools now with an "everybody try to get tickets for all of us" mantra and a skype call/chat.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'd be curious as to the stats for how much coordinated gang-purchasing has increased. Seems like most people I know get into pools now with an "everybody try to get tickets for all of us" mantra and a skype call/chat.

When I have a chance to look at the data, I can probably get a number on this.

#70 4 years ago

I was able to get a ticket after I put my name on the wait list, will the system know that and remove me from the wait list?

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from yatch11:

I was able to get a ticket after I put my name on the wait list, will the system know that and remove me from the wait list?

You got a ticket after 1 PM?

And no the waitlist is a manual process for us.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

It doesn't check for duplicates for ticket sales that I am aware of. If folks buy tickets for the same people, they will have to get a refund based on the Pinburgh refund schedule and those tickets will go to waitlisters.

Hey so for future reference, someone who bought 10 extra tickets is gonna lose $750 bucks right?

Hope so! Good deterrent for this nonsense.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

You got a ticket after 1 PM?
    And no the waitlist is a manual process for us.

I got mine around 1230. I put my name on the list prior to that.

#74 4 years ago

Hi. When and where will we be able see our place on the wait list? Thanks!

#75 4 years ago

If the waitlist could be locked out like the actual ticket sales are that might be the best way. I know Doug said it’s a form not a ticket, but can it be? Cap it at one ticket per email and charge a dollar for a waitlist spot. Then open that up an hour after Pinburgh goes on sale. Even if it was non-refundable and the dollar went to the replay foundation I’d be cool with that.

The method this year of delaying an hour is wise, but not being able to lock out early attempts sounds like a nightmare. Hope there is a solution found. The process improves every year, so there is that.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

I don't think anyone is complaining about how Pinburgh is run... there's a reason it sells out instantaneously - it's run impeccably. That said, from the consumer perspective, registering for tickets or the waitlist is confusing and frustrating. ninjadoug's explanation as to why they separate the times for ticket and waitlist registration was helpful to understand from the organizer's perspective.
    I have no animosity to ninjadoug, as I very much appreciate the effort and time that everyone puts into running a tournament like this.

My reference was meant to include the registration process. People complaining about how quick the tickets sell out is absurd. These are the most sought after tickets all year. You win some you lose some. I like the way it's done because they give everyone a chance to play in one of the greatest pinball experiences.

#77 4 years ago

Does showclix no offer a waitlist function? Why is the waitlist manual?

#78 4 years ago

when does the waitlist come out?

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from daveddd14:

Glad you got in this year Evan!

Now I need to start practicing. I still play at home but haven't done any competitive pinball for a while. I'm looking forward to it!

#81 4 years ago

This will be my first year at Pinburgh, looking forward to it!

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

No player gets in because of their 'status'. Full transparency, we had 22 tickets set aside this year for folks who helped/help us out on an amazing level or won one of the satellite events. None of them attained their ticket because of their 'status'.

Point taken, and thanks for taking the time to clarify. Quite frankly, I don't think the Top 20 or 30 players in the world should have to sweat it out to see if they can get a ticket. So I would completely understand you guys setting aside blocks of tickets. I'm just an idiot and a piss-poor player; if I don't get in this year, it's no loss to anybody. In fact, everybody wins. Thanks again, Doug!

#83 4 years ago

Curious if Doug knows how many players have registered/played in all 10 Pittsburgh Pinburgh events. I think in 2010 there were less than 150 players. I’m pretty certain Keith, Andy Rosa, and Zach have played in all 9 as well...

Added over 4 years ago:

My question was answered here:

http://tiltforums.com/t/the-never-missed-a-pinburgh-club/6329

#85 4 years ago

Touché! I can think of a dozen people I think I’ve seen at every one but not certain who has missed one or two. I know Lyman missed at least one year because he was working.

Andre, Trentaur, and Belsito... not certain.

#86 4 years ago

I got in, luckily. I was volunteering my time coaching kids so it was up to my wife to make it happen. It was sold out, but she refreshed the page just one time about 10 minutes later and it said "buy now". We missed that 2nd chance but realized if we kept trying we might get through, and with 23 minutes of hitting refresh we finally made it. Kudos to the wife! Wouldn't have made it without her.

WE'RE IN!

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Quite frankly, I don't think the Top 20 or 30 players in the world should have to sweat it out to see if they can get a ticket.

They add to the value of the event. People expect to see them there and rub elbows and play against them. I don't see why it would be scandalous to make sure players like that are there.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

They add to the value of the event. People expect to see them there and rub elbows and play against them. I don't see why it would be scandalous to make sure players like that are there.

I agree and I would understand it too. I know at least one of those top 20 guys won a satellite tournament and won a free entry into Pinburgh as a result. So if one establishment was able to acquire a ticket to Pinburgh before it was made available to the public, is it so far fetched that other people in the top 20 are guaranteed a spot?

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Quite frankly, I don't think the Top 20 or 30 players in the world should have to sweat it out to see if they can get a ticket.

Quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of seeing the same 5 guys win every major tournament...if you had a thousand player tournament where none of the top 30 managed to get a ticket....that would be kind of awesome. But...I guess this will never happen since Elwin seems to have a guaranteed in every year per above statements. (Yes, I realize he's making a massive contribution....but I also realize that only 1% of entrants even stand a chance against him...so... if I ever get to go, I'll be clearly shooting for B division...)

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of seeing the same 5 guys win every major tournament..

Play better.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Play better.

I don't see you winning any major tournaments. Link me your IFPA profile, we'll compare.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I don't see you winning any major tournaments. Link me your IFPA profile, we'll compare.

Yet only one of us is whining here... hmmm.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Yet only one of us is whining here... hmmm.

Right, so you have nothing to back up your shit talk, gotcha. Coming to TPF by any chance?

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Right, so you have nothing to back up your shit talk, gotcha. Coming to TPF by any chance?

Let me get this straight... did you in the span of two posts try and do a ‘my penis is bigger than yours’ AND a ‘fight you behind the gym after school’?

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Let me get this straight... did you in the span of two posts try and do a ‘my penis is bigger than yours’ AND a ‘fight you behind the gym after school’?

Fight? No, that's for idiots. I was going to offer to play a few games against you.

#96 4 years ago

allright, lets predict the position we would realistically like to land in or get. I SUCK, so the chance to even place is beyond slim to none. Ive only played in one tournament, with 100 players. My goal then was 99th. and I beat that, I got 93rd. So at pinburgh, I want to do better, so Ive set my goal at 929th. And honestly, if I get that, ill be happy. Not saying I wont try to get better, but I have set 929th as my realistic goal. The people are the reason I go. But if your one of those serious players (WLF) you dont want to be a group with me, ill throw you off your game because im there for the fun, not the prize

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of seeing the same 5 guys win every major tournament...if you had a thousand player tournament where none of the top 30 managed to get a ticket....that would be kind of awesome. But...I guess this will never happen since Elwin seems to have a guaranteed in every year per above statements. (Yes, I realize he's making a massive contribution....but I also realize that only 1% of entrants even stand a chance against him...so... if I ever get to go, I'll be clearly shooting for B division...)

No one cares...stay home.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

allright, lets predict the position we would realistically like to land in or get. I SUCK, so the chance to even place is beyond slim to none. Ive only played in one tournament, with 100 players. My goal then was 99th. and I beat that, I got 93rd. So at pinburgh, I want to do better, so Ive set my goal at 929th. And honestly, if I get that, ill be happy. Not saying I wont try to get better, but I have set 929th as my realistic goal. The people are the reason I go. But if your one of those serious players (WLF) you dont want to be a group with me, ill throw you off your game because im there for the fun, not the prize

I think you'll finish higher than that! You're a good player, at least when you're playing against me! You'll do well since you've had or operated or at least seen so many different game titles. The sheer variety is half the battle/fun... walking up to a bank of four games you've never even heard of or flipped is scary! I gotta remember to dig up Bob M's EM guide, it was a HUGE help. As per serious folks, I may place a wager on JR, hes got some of the big dogs' number and is gonna make a run, calling it now

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

But if your one of those serious players (WLF) you dont want to be a group with me, ill throw you off your game because im there for the fun, not the prize

Shit, that's the best person to have in your group in a tournament! And frankly, guys with that attitude tend to do a lot better than they think, and pull out some crazy scores...precisely because they DON'T CARE.....it's a lot easier to play when you don't have to account for expectations and pressure.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of seeing the same 5 guys win every major tournament...

I want the guy who is this demoralized in my group all day. If you're this jaded and whiny going in, you already lost before plunging a single ball. And I can't imagine you're having much fun, either.

There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-repaly-fx-2020-thread/page/2?hl=hayrebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.