(Topic ID: 47309)

Pinburgh and my first competition.

By TheRave

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

group_pinburgh2013-lofi.jpg
    bowen_ajk.JPG
    rimshot.gif
    photo.JPG
    IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    pinburgh.jpg
    bustedterlet.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and that aspect sucks bad. Really. Why do we have to have 5 shows back to back to back? But then nothing all of may, june, july, sept ect. Would be nice to have one major show each month instead. Zoo is this weekend, and i'm to the point, where i'm almost burned out and could care less to play more pinball.

CAX is in July. It's only recently been getting onto hobbyists calendars but it has been on competitors calendars for a long time.

June is the Northwest show.

August is PAPA.

Sept was PPE for the last six years.

#21 11 years ago

Special thanks to the janitors who kept the facility and its restrooms real clean throughout the 4 days.

Those guys deserve a medal. Maybe a purple heart.

This image from stall 2 on the right side of the men's illustrates two things:

1) The intense battle the janitors had to wage to keep the bathrooms under control.

2) How well I played in the tournament.

bustedterlet.jpgbustedterlet.jpg

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I went in there Saturday and saw this and was like why and how the heck does someone do this? I would think all of us in the building would be respectful. Oh well, there always a few out of a bunch...
    I also went it the one time and it smelled like rotten eggs so bad I started to gag! They did a great job considering. I don't know how they could handle that stench!

Given the proportions of some players, I'm wondering if it was intentional or not...

#67 11 years ago

The worst thing that happened in my groups was a player played out of turn... twice in two separate groups! Although, clearly they broke the rules, they were sort of drawn down the path.

In both cases, we had to play a game that was single player only. In the next game, the winner of the single-only game played first and mistakenly played player 2. Insta-DQ. The first time it happened was with Sanjay Shah. The second time was some german guy. I really felt bad for them.

I know the games are single play only in most cases to prevent lock stealing but I think lock steals are part of the strategy and player order selection.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Stay on your machine until your bonus count is done. Simple. Is it courteous to yell "ball save" when someone walks away? I guess, but I don't feel that it's ignorant not to.

IJ has weird ball saves and a guy in my group walked away from one.

I can't speak for PAPA, but at one of my tournaments a player did try to argue that other players alerting a walk-away player to a ball save (which subsequently caused the loss of the complaining player) should have resulted in a DQ of the alerting players. I can certainly see the rationale of it, because those alerting players were essentially spectators when not playing.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

Alerting someone about a ball save, or if they're about to plunge out of turn, is simply good sportsmanship. It's not coaching. They aren't telling you where to shoot for lock, how to 10x bonus, etc.
    Any tourney which disqualifies a player for alerting another player of a ball save is acting incorrectly, period. As someone said, it happened at PAPA with Bowen on TZ, and he was too far away so he threw his hat trying to hit the flipper button, Lol. It happened at this past Pinburgh on many occasions, as you can read and it's considered nothing but great sportsmanship, says I.

I agree, but if there's big money on the line and it's between myself and that guy, I would be a little miffed if "the crowd" or other players alerted the guy and got beat because of it. Ultimately, it IS the player's responsibility to stay till the ball is done. I dunno, it's sort of a moral grey area.

I will say this - in the past, if a player obviously didn't know the game, I would give them tips. Wow, have I gotten hosed on that (and hosed others who gave me tips). Now I do the tips after our game.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I got fucked by a 2-player game where Player 1 mistakenly started a one-player game. He drained Ball 1 and walked away. I plunged and began to play, only to notice that I was playing HIS Ball 2. I got fucked by a stupid rule or bad call, not sure which. Had to take a 0.

Similar thing happened two years ago at Pinburgh. A player started only a one player game. We noticed it after he drained and called for a ruling and the rule (from Bowen) was that the player plays through and then the other players play a 3-player game. I wasn't happy about it at the time but the rules are the rules.

Your particular situation is especially sucky because you played out of turn only because of someone else's screw-up.

There's a player in my area who I could totally see deliberately abuse this situation, both to get a game by himself and also in the hopes an unsuspecting player would step up and auto-DQ himself.

When I ran PPE 2011, I printed the rules out on 11x17 paper and pinned them up outside the tournament room because I knew these kinds of 'iffy' situations could happen. Several times during the tournament I had the free 'out' of saying, "the rules are posted right outside the door - you should have known better."

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

I believe as long as that player is not actually playing they can be coached per the Pinburgh rules.

Yes, and as there's no practical way to police otherwise, the only fair thing is to allow it.

Our group from the bay area had a website set up to feed info into about how banks were playing from players who had already played those banks, along with basic strategy, gotchas, etc.

And I still played like crap, so there's that.

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Lol would have been nice to know that

Well, you should be a nicer guy on Pinside, right? hahaha

#88 11 years ago

Get in where you fit in. It was cool meeting you and glad you did alright.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Yeah was good meeting some guys off pinside. Interesting tho how some of the huge posters on this forum were not there.

Anyone in particular? hahaha.

Competing takes balls. You put your game and yourself on the line and I respect anyone who does.

I did, with disastrous results I can honestly say. But, that's just a reason to keep practicing and get better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-and-my-first-competition?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.