Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Borygard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

There were so many unexpected pleasures, I want to focus on those first:

1. The inflatable couches were really nice.

2. The games were top-notch, and when there was a problem it was dealt with immediately.

3. There was a huge row of great back-up pins, for when the fix would take a while.

4. The bands were absolutely amazing. Universal Beat Sounds was the first to lure me to the stage with their wicked tunes. Then I saw Bit Brigade and Caress of Steel City (Rush cover band). I got my $100 worth just from watching those 3 bands.

5. There were far more women participating than I expected, and I thought that was great

6. People mostly honored Bowen's request to "be excellent to each other".

7. Pittsburgh people are really nice to drunks stumbling around their city at 3am. But that's probably a post for the OT forum.

8. There are some great bars and restaurants just a block away. I love Ten Penny and Tonic.

9. Death Save Disciples are really fun to drink with.

Things I'll do differently next time:

1. Bring a premium comfort mat, cut in 2 for easy transport
    2. Don't start drinking gin and tonic, just because the bar is named Tonic.
    3. Bring a sweatshirt, just in case. Balancing A/C against 700 pins is a dark art.
    4. Take a picture of each round's result sheet. An error was made on my last round, but it didn't really matter (I was still 3 wins short of qualifying).
    5. Understand that a bank, a group, a set and a star cluster all refer to the same thing: a bank of 4 games.

#17 7 years ago

Also, here's a tip for iPhone and iPad users: you can search for your name using the "omnibar". You just have to scroll down to "On This Page" in the search results.

I'm planning to write some Python scripts for next year, assuming the Pinburgh software doesn't change too much. I want an app that will monitor the website and alert me as soon as the matches are published:

"Go to bank 17 for round 6. Your games are Spider-Man, King Kool, Transporter and Flash. You are 3rd seed."

Then the app would pull down rulesheets and pin tips for those games.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffpm:

I think the $100 show entry is pretty high, especially if you compare to other events. If they could lower the cost to $50-70 I think they'd get a lot more GA admission.

Ha. Do you know how much it costs to qualify at most HERB tournaments? Easily $200-300 if you're serious. And you'd be damned lucky to play 40 games of pinball for $100 at any other tournament.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2016-in-depth-impressions?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.