Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Borygard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iluvak9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

I would say, however, that games that don't require a tremendous amount of skill (like Slick Chick, which is just a pachinko game) shouldn't be used.

I have to pipe in here in response to your comment about Slick Chick. I have a feeling that you are not fully aware of the playfield shots and rules for this game which seems evident from your description of the game as "just a pachinko game". In fact, it is generally regarded as one of the classic EM's. I was disappointed that I didn't get to play the bank in which this game was located, and I am just posting this in the effort to support this game for inclusion in future Pinburgh (and other pinball) events. There were many other games at Pinburgh this year that I was assigned to play which were much simpler in ruleset and more based on luck than Slick Chick (Ready, Aim, Fire comes to mind).

However, having said that, I don't even see a problem with including the lesser skill oriented games in the bank sets. I think that part of what makes Pinburgh so much fun is experiencing such a wide variety of games that all fall under the umbrella of what we refer to as "pinball". I've competed at Pinburgh 3 times thus far and I fnd that each time I discover fun games that I would have just walked by at a show if Pinburgh hadn't "forced" me to play them in an assigned bank.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

Slick Chick is an overly important plunge followed by the ball trickling down a set of bumpers to flippers that are too wide and not powerful enough to get the ball more than halfway up the playfield. A gobble hole worth more than 3 minutes of flipping encourages you to end your ball early. It's 80% luck.

If you think Slick Chick just offers a skill shot, some bumpers and a gobble hole, then you don't understand the game and need to read the rules and learn more about the side stationary targets, the top stationary target, the 1-4 rollover lanes, the button rollovers, the behind the flippers rubberized post walls and how they all effect scoring, ball duration, game play and collection of the S-L-I-C-K and C-H-I-C-K bumper letters. If you keep the ball in play for 3 minutes and your most lucrative payoff is the gobble hole, then you are not understanding the game.

#46 7 years ago

While I had to leave on Saturday and did not play in the intergalactic championship tournament, my sense is that the primary gripes posted here were that (a) allowing each player 10 entries led to over demand for game usage and lines that were too long (b) allowing all players, including top players that made the playoffs, to compete made the demand in the post playoffs period even worse and (c) allowing top players to compete made it difficult for lesser skill players to have any chance especially given the opportunity to play 10 entries for top 4 game scores. Perhaps an option would be to limit the # of games played per the $10 entry to, for example, 4 or 5 games per person while still basing the standings on the top 4 scores among the 4 or 5 games played (instead of allowng 10 games per enty). This would reduce the length of the lines and volume of games played both before and after the playoffs are done while also limiting the ability of the top players to fine tune their performance on games via multiple chances playing several of the same games more than once. The $10 entry fee is still a relatively low fee for an entry to play 4 or 5 games, and the $10 is going to charity anyway. I think this might be a nice balance of enhancing the chances for lesser skilled players while still maximizing the number of entries. After all, I think we would all agree that the fact that the entry money goes to charity is a key incentive for ensuring that the number of entries is maximized and it would be counter to this goal to not allow all players who want to the opportunity to enter the tournament.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iluvak9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2016-in-depth-impressions?tu=iluvak9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.