Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PinballKen
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-805.jpg
    Velcro-Wall-Carnival-Barmitzvah0606-1.jpg
    shiloh mac-cheese.jpg
    There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago

The hotel code for Westin will be active sometime in the next two weeks. The only one that knows more than this is the Westin Corporation.

The hotel block should be large enough to handle initial demand... we think! Westin will not be the only hotel with a group rate or code, but clearly has some benefit in location.

Thanks for your patience!

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The hotel code for Westin will be active sometime in the next two weeks. The only one that knows more than this is the Westin Corporation.
    The hotel block should be large enough to handle initial demand... we think! Westin will not be the only hotel with a group rate or code, but clearly has some benefit in location.
    Thanks for your patience!

Be thankful, Bowen's code update is faster than any of Stern's See you there looking forward to a great competition once again!!!!

#103 9 years ago

I'll be there man (Dazed and Confused voice)

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Less than 90 spots left at this point. I wouldn't wait too much longer if you haven't purchased your entry.

Let's be very clear here. The initial rush for Pinburgh tourney tickets seems to have been hyped just a bit. I get it, I do, create hype. Get more to commit, sponsors are happy. $100,000 isn't easy to come by. I got off work at 7A that day (after a 72 hour work week) and stayed up to make sure I would get a ticket when they went on sale.

Quoted from bkerins:

The hotel block "should" be large enough to handle initial demand

But when it comes to lodging, we all want to feel that we have a place to stay at a reasonable price. Especially when traveling many miles. Please keep us updated on lodging and thanks for putting on such a grand event. My only regret is I won't even have a chance to play BK. Hope to play some of the other GREAT players I've been watching (and listening to) on PAPA TV for the last year or so. As a radio guy I really want to play with the great commentators PAPA has. Especially Mr. behind the scenes producer!

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Let's be very clear here. The initial rush for Pinburgh tourney tickets seems to have been hyped just a bit. I get it, I do, create hype. Get more to commit, sponsors are happy. $100,000 isn't easy to come by. I got off work at 7A that day (after a 72 hour work week) and stayed up to make sure I would get a ticket when they went on sale.

I guess we have completely different perspective on the matter, because I thought that PAPA/Mark/Bowen went out of their way to avoid overhyping the ticket situation and consistently said the buy rate might be quick but is pretty much unknowable given the increase in player slots this year.

I saw complaints posted last year after the tickets sold out so quickly because people thought they weren't given sufficient warning about the possibility of a sellout. So it definitely cuts both ways.

I do think you did the right thing making sure you were awake to get a ticket right when sales started. I hope you have such an amazing time at ReplayFX and Pinburgh that you completely forget this bump in the road. In fact, I'm sure you will, because this thing is going to be awesome in all kinds of ways.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I guess we have completely different perspective on the matter, because I thought that PAPA/Mark/Bowen went out of their way to avoid overhyping the ticket situation

We definitely have a different perspective. My perspective is of one who has worked in the "hype" industry.

Quoted from stevevt:

I thought that PAPA/Mark/Bowen went out of their way to avoid overhyping the ticket situation and consistently said the buy rate might be quick but is pretty much unknowable given the increase in player slots this year.

I've never had the pleasure of personally meeting any of the great people who make this happen, but I can say with confidence that there is no such thing as "over hype" (even bad press is good press). The more the better. I begrudge none of them anything. And I hope to play with as many new people as possible. It's one of the things I love most about the hobby. I hope to travel there with my local crew and then hang with EVERYBODY.

Quoted from stevevt:

I do think you did the right thing making sure you were awake to get a ticket right when sales started. I hope you have such an amazing time at ReplayFX and Pinburgh that you completely forget this bump in the road.

It seems I came off as a "bump in the road" kind of comment which I did not intend. For me there is no bump in the road. It's all good.

Lastly, The % back on cancellation is AWESOME. A great idea by the PAPA group. For those who's employer says, "yeah, I'm gonna need you to work that weekend", we can then cancel (against our will) but with less penalty to finances.

Lastly, lastly I shouldn't post after drinking all day and playing in a month long pump and dump. Love you guys and see you at ReplayFX! Already have a ReplayFX T-shirt that I won in a tourney a few months ago!

#107 9 years ago

Will there be a group rate for the Presidential Suite?
    I am contemplating throwing a VIP party.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Will there be a group rate for the Presidential Suite?
    I am contemplating throwing a VIP party.

I'm in

#109 9 years ago

The Hampton in Group code is FXF. People can book their room there now.

I just received an e-mail from the Westin saying everything was finally set up on their end, but it turns out they were wrong. I just spoke to three different people, and none of them can fix the problem until the morning. I have no idea what is messing up over there, but I once again have confirmation it shouldn't be long (within a day). The contracts were signed a long time ago, and the delays are driving me up a wall.

The good news is that the room blocks at both locations are expandable, so even if they sell out in their current state, which are quite large, we can expand them as needed. Once the Westin code is finally available, anyone who wants a room there should be able to get it.

As for Pinburgh, the first 400 spots went incredibly fast, as in 5 minutes or so. The slowdown occurred around number 550, after which it trickled at a rate of 1 every few minutes until it sold out. There are currently over 25 people on the waiting list, which I expect to grow steadily. With actual advertising, I suspect the tournament could have hit 1000 reservations. I have several e-mails in my inbox right now from people who are upset they missed it. Whether it was hyped too much, I have no clue. My only public statements were "I have no idea" because I truly didn't. No one did, because a tournament / classic gaming event this big has never happened before.

Sorry about the rooming delays everyone. All will be well very soon, but trust me... there's not much reason to be nervous with regard to the room blocks. If we need more, we can get them.

#110 9 years ago

I'd only be critical of the "hype" if it turned out to be intentionally wrong or misleading (ie: saying there are very few tickets left when there are hundreds).

Since the event sold out in less than a day, hype or not, it is a legit success and I don't consider it "over hyped".

#111 9 years ago

To be fair I said "hyped just a bit" and that I was OK with that. The more, the better has always been my party motto. And as the WI crew will attest, I LOVE to party!

Sorry to hear about the Westin delays. No big deal, if worst comes to worst I will stay with my buddy. He promised me a tour of DC if I come in a day early . But we all know there will be plenty of rooms for us.

To be absolutely clear, THANK YOU Doug, Bowen, and all the other behind the scenes people who are going to make Pinburgh/ReplayFX happen. No matter how many obstacles, we WILL have fun. Or at least I will. I just want to be sure I can stumble upstairs to my room .

EDIT: I also said I shouldn't post after drinking for 10 hours but you won't hold that against me right? No judge mental people here on Pinside.

#112 9 years ago

You have to give it up for Mark, Bowen and the entire organizing team, they did listen to people complaints last year, and they expanded this event to 700 people. In order to do this they had to create a Pinball Festival and now have to physically move 700 machines from one location to another and then back again. I certainly do not underestimate the work involved in pulling this off and then running a tourney for 700 participants all weekend it is going to be crazy. Yes, thank you guys for everything you continue to do for the pinball community and look I forward to seeing you guys in Pittsburgh again and having a few brews with ya...

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

You have to give it up for Mark, Bowen and the entire organizing team, they did listen to people complaints last year, and they expanded this event to 700 people. In order to do this they had to create a Pinball Festival and now have to physically move 700 machines from one location to another and then back again. I certainly do not underestimate the work involved in pulling this off and then running a tourney for 700 participants all weekend it is going to be crazy. Yes, thank you guys for everything you continue to do for the pinball community and look I forward to seeing you guys in Pittsburgh again and having a few brews with ya...

700 machines?????

#114 9 years ago

I think the tournament is scheduled to take ~250 pinball machines. They're also throwing the Replay Festival with arcade machines and so on.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

But when it comes to lodging, we all want to feel that we have a place to stay at a reasonable price.

then i will see you in the parking lot tent city

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

then i will see you in the parking lot tent city

Please tell me this is a thing. And by reasonable rates I figured $125-$175/night would be fair. Especially as those who travel in groups could split the cost. For those who live close or have been to the Westin (or surrounding lodging) what's the standard rate for the area?

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Please tell me this is a thing. And by reasonable rates I figured $125-$175/night would be fair. Especially as those who travel in groups could split the cost. For those who live close or have been to the Westin (or surrounding lodging) what's the standard rate for the area?

If you have a car you can drive a bit and find VERY cheap lodging. If you plan to stay local to the event then $140-$240 per night is to be expected. It can go up from there if you so desire.

I plan to book a refundable room within cab/walking distance for now and then decide later if I want to upgrade to the Westin or sleep in tent city.

#118 9 years ago

All I know is that I spaced on the sign-up last year and it was sold out when I tried to register. Took 2 hours if I'm not mistaken? That's not hype, that's a rush on the door! And disappointment for late-comers. Lol.

The only tournament I personally know of that fills up faster is Pinferno in NYC. That's something like 60 slots, you have to register/pay in person, and I think it filled up last year in 17 minutes or something stupid like that.

#119 9 years ago

I am guessing there will be lots of drops on/by March 31st.

Heidi and I purchased tickets with the intention of going but with the knowledge that we have till then to firm up plans and make a final decision with no negative finacial implications.

In other words, if you are interested then best to get on the waitlist and see what happens.
    I would bet money that everyone currently on the waitlist gets in.

#120 9 years ago

The discount link to reserve rooms at the Westin is below:
    https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/replayfx

The group code to reserve rooms at the Hampton Inn Greentree is FXF.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

We definitely have a different perspective. My perspective is of one who has worked in the "hype" industry.

I've never had the pleasure of personally meeting any of the great people who make this happen, but I can say with confidence that there is no such thing as "over hype" (even bad press is good press). The more the better. I begrudge none of them anything. And I hope to play with as many new people as possible. It's one of the things I love most about the hobby. I hope to travel there with my local crew and then hang with EVERYBODY.

It seems I came off as a "bump in the road" kind of comment which I did not intend. For me there is no bump in the road. It's all good.
    Lastly, The % back on cancellation is AWESOME. A great idea by the PAPA group. For those who's employer says, "yeah, I'm gonna need you to work that weekend", we can then cancel (against our will) but with less penalty to finances.
    Lastly, lastly I shouldn't post after drinking all day and playing in a month long pump and dump. Love you guys and see you at ReplayFX! Already have a ReplayFX T-shirt that I won in a tourney a few months ago!

I try not to be too much of a hype-man, but it still happens sometimes.

FYI the room blocks are now available. Thanks for everyone's patience and can't wait to see you all there.

http://replayfx.org/location-travel/hotel-information/

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

I also said I shouldn't post after drinking for 10 hours but you won't hold that against me right? No judge mental people here on Pinside.

As long as you bring enough for us.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

700 machines?????

I know, right? It'll probably be more like 800 or 900 by the time July comes around.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Remember too that this is a festival where far more people will attend who are NOT playing Pinburgh than are, with more pins, more arcade cabinets, 2000+ console games to play, a giant Big Buck Hunter tournament, Microsoft showing Xbox One stuff, a velcro wall, 100 vendors... and a whole lot still to tell. The Pinside community can help by spreading the word, if more people know about ReplayFX it can become something large and sustainable. ReplayFX will not survive on Pinburgh alone: it will be a carnival atmosphere for thousands of attendees, not "just" a tournament for 700.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Yes, the group rate at Westin is $139, which is pretty damn good for downtown. I often have to pay $159 or more in the suburbs if I'm visiting for business.

#126 9 years ago

Thanks, Mark. Booked @ Westin. Can't wait!

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

As long as you bring enough for us.

Deal. Will bring some of Wisconsin's own Spotted Cow brew.

#128 9 years ago

I just tried to book a room at Westin and message says block is sold out? Mark? Bowen?

#129 9 years ago

If I change the reservation to arriving on July 30th, it shows rooms available. Not so when reserving from July 29th, so maybe that Wednesday is the issue.

#130 9 years ago

When I looked a couple hours ago, king size bed and 2 double beds from Wed to Monday were available. Now for same dates only 2 double beds available. King beds sold out in less than 2 hours?

#131 9 years ago

I just booked a room at the Westin from Wed July 29th-Monday Aug 3rd no problem.

#132 9 years ago

Do I dare ask?

#133 9 years ago

Velcro-Wall-Carnival-Barmitzvah0606-1.jpgVelcro-Wall-Carnival-Barmitzvah0606-1.jpg

One of those. Not as much fun as you might think. Our kids tried one someplace and the velcro was too worn to hold up their weight, so it was like an open air bouncy house with a wall you could purposefully ram into. "Whee"

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Remember too that this is a festival where far more people will attend who are NOT playing Pinburgh than are, with more pins, more arcade cabinets, 2000+ console games to play, a giant Big Buck Hunter tournament, Microsoft showing Xbox One stuff, a velcro wall, 100 vendors... and a whole lot still to tell. The Pinside community can help by spreading the word, if more people know about ReplayFX it can become something large and sustainable. ReplayFX will not survive on Pinburgh alone: it will be a carnival atmosphere for thousands of attendees, not "just" a tournament for 700.

Agreed, I honestly do not know where you guys get the energy to pull an event like this, I am sure it will be epic!!!!

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I try not to be too much of a hype-man, but it still happens sometimes.

Pretty sure you singlehandedly increased the market value of Dragon 10x.

#136 9 years ago

The Westin block is sold out for Wednesday 7/29, and all king rooms are booked. Rooms with 2 doubles at the discount are available for 7/30 until the end of the show.

We are working on increasing the size of the Westin block, while also speeding up the arrangements with other downtown hotels. There will be more rooms available within a week at hotels either attached to or within walking distance of the convention center.

Sorry for any inconvenience! We booked a very large block with Westin, but it looks like we'll need lots more.

Thank you.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Please tell me this is a thing.

I think it just became one. You'll definitely need a parking pass for this pinburgh tailgate though

#138 9 years ago

Fine, you don't like the velcro wall, maybe you should play some Wrecking Ball instead.

http://replayfx.org/entertainment/

#139 9 years ago

I'll be honest. I am coming for pinball and anything else is a distraction that I will likely avoid.

Then again, this is a pinball forum so I would expect that to be the main interest of others in attendance from this board .

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Fine, you don't like the velcro wall, maybe you should play some Wrecking Ball instead.
    http://replayfx.org/entertainment/

Dude, the wrecking ball and the 100ft obstacle course look like a whole ton of fun!

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I'll be honest. I am coming for pinball and anything else is a distraction that I will likely avoid.
    Then again, this is a pinball forum so I would expect that to be the main interest of others in attendance from this board.

I don't know, I'd say there is a pretty good market. Anyone out there want to hit Whysnow with a pugil stick or a wrecking ball?

#142 9 years ago

We are in the final process of securing an additional block of rooms at a downtown hotel within walking distance of ReplayFX. The block will be available for purchase within the next 7 days. More information will be posted as soon as it is available.

Thanks for your patience, if you've had trouble booking a room for the show.

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I don't know, I'd say there is a pretty good market. Anyone out there want to hit Whysnow with a pugil stick or a wrecking ball?

Is this you Bowen? I would pay to see you redo this...

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I don't know, I'd say there is a pretty good market.

image-805.jpgimage-805.jpg

#145 9 years ago

Wednesday and Sat booked at group rate, went from $140 to $300 per night. Please let us know if they open up a bigger block for the Westin.

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Anyone out there want to hit Whysnow with a pugil stick or a wrecking ball?

Sell tickets and this could make more money than Pinburgh. Sorry Hilton, couldn't resist.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kingpin22:

Wednesday and Sat booked at group rate, went from $140 to $300 per night. Please let us know if they open up a bigger block for the Westin.

When I checked just now, rooms were still available for Thursday 7/30 through Monday 8/3 under the group rate (including Saturday). Only Wednesday is currently unavailable.

We'll know more soon about when and if the block at Westin can be expanded, while finalizing the group blocks at other downtown Pittsburgh hotels within a short walk of the convention center.

#148 9 years ago

Renaissance room block should open tomorrow. It's a 3-5 minute walk to the convention center and is very, very nice. Same rate as the Westin.

More room blocks from other walking-distance hotels (similar or same rates) will be coming soon. There's no shortage of hotels willing to work with us, so this is a short-term problem, not a long-term one.

Also, funny story, when I talked to the lady at the Westin this afternoon her response was, "Something must be wrong with the computer. It can't be sold out yet." She kept me on hold for a while and came back laughing, surprised it had happened so fast... And that was the first of the three times it sold out.

mhs

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Also, funny story, when I talked to the lady at the Westin this afternoon her response was, "Something must be wrong with the computer. It can't be sold out yet." She kept me on hold for a while and came back laughing, surprised it had happened so fast... And that was the first of the three times it sold out.

mhs

The power of the Silver Ball

#150 9 years ago

I called back and was able to get all four days Wednesday,Thur, Fri,Sat. It had to be put on 2 different reservations which may mean moving rooms but They are honoring the group rate. Thanks for the heads up.

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2015-registration-opens-december-7-12p-est/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.