Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by geet84
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

I am one of the tournament directors, but the PAPA staff really make it happen: Kevin, Mark, Doug, Elizabeth, Steve (lead tech). The other techs: Rich, Justin, Nick. The desk staff. The other tournament directors: the PAPA staff, Brett, Per.

Thanks for the kind words about the event, and I'm glad to be a part of helping it continue to improve. I'm already looking forward to 2015.

Your son played the game of the tournament, in the Division D tiebreaker on Saturday night. That was spectacular. It's rare to see anyone get to Sea of Simulation without an extra ball ... never mind that it was in an elimination game ... and especially never mind that Gregory is 8. Holy moly!

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

There is nothing wrong with that and that is the point for the D Division.

The winner of D gets $800 and the winner of C gets $1500, so winning either of them is not a waste of time. Sadly a lot of people tank it on purpose to make it in a group lesser then their skill level so they can make easy money. I seen it happen in some of my groups this year because I have played with some of the people in the past on Saturdays (the day when it counts) and know how good they are, yet they just happened to suck on Friday for qualification. Some people compete to see how good they are and to earn points, while others just want to win as much money as they can even if it comes at the expense of beating up on people who are not as good as them in a lesser divison.

Who is tanking? If you have evidence of players deliberately tanking, who? You said your opponents just happened to suck against you ... maybe they actually sucked!

Frankly I'd be shocked if a player spent $200 plus a ton of time for the off chance at an $800 win, but ok. Pinburgh has divisional restrictions that prohibit a player from winning a top-4 finish in a lower division two consecutive years, and that push players to higher divisions based on their competitive results.

#39 10 years ago

FYI you can look at the tiebreaker transition here:

http://pinburgh.com/2014/live/transition.html

Anyone marked as "tied for _ spaces in _" had the choice to move up or move down. In all cases, more players chose to move up than to move down.

Players do choose to "move down" for many reasons, including perception of their own ability or experience level. One plus is that it still comes down to execution, you still must play well in Saturday's five rounds to advance to finals.

It's possible to tip this balance slightly by tuning the prize levels, but if it tips too far in favor of A, it could give the perception that the tournament is feeding top players instead of giving everyone a chance to win. (The smallest payout for top 24 in any division is $200, so all qualifiers win more than the $175 entry fee.)

#43 10 years ago

Yes, the full-resolution photo will be made available soon. Thanks to Gene X Huang for taking it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2014?tu=bkerins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.