Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 227 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BoJo
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 10 years ago

#202 10 years ago

everytime i see new posts on this thread i get depressed, and im already concerned about getting in for next year.

regardless, have fun this weekend guys and good luck!

#203 10 years ago

You will be missed Daddis !

Cya next year

#204 10 years ago

First round seeding order now posted. If you do the math and assuming no "no shows", you can figure out who you will be playing in the first round. Poor #200, 201, 300. They gotta play Keith Elwin!

http://papa.org/2014/03/23/current-seedings-for-pinburgh-2014/

You can also see notably absent names from the list.

#205 10 years ago

One of the best things about this tournament is playing match play among the best players in the world. I understand the idea of not wanting to get crushed, but:

* You have four chances to beat this top player, including on games with which they might not be familiar.
    * There's always second place available on every game. Nothing wrong with 8 points if you can pull it off.
    * It's only one round. If you drop down, you'll play against others who had trouble in the first round.
    * Assuming you do have some success against the top players, the reward is...getting to play against more top players.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

First round seeding order now posted. If you do the math and assuming no "no shows", you can figure out who you will be playing in the first round. Poor #200, 201, 300. They gotta play Keith Elwin!
    http://papa.org/2014/03/23/current-seedings-for-pinburgh-2014/
    You can also see notably absent names from the list.

#206 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

One of the best things about this tournament is playing match play among the best players in the world. I understand the idea of not wanting to get crushed, but:
    * You have four chances to beat this top player, including on games with which they might not be familiar.
    * There's always second place available on every game. Nothing wrong with 8 points if you can pull it off.
    * It's only one round. If you drop down, you'll play against others who had trouble in the first round.
    * Assuming you do have some success against the top players, the reward is...getting to play against more top players.

All good points. I was star struck last year when I played well enough that my first match on Sat. morning included Jorian Englebrektsson. Of course he won, but we made him take a 3rd place on T3!

Correction to my earlier post about Keith. They will re-seed the top 20 according to how they finish in the Circuit Final. So, #200, 201, 300 will only play Keith if he wins the circuit finals.

#207 10 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

All good points. I was star struck last year when I played well enough that my first match on Sat. morning included Jorian Englebrektsson. Of course he won, but we made him take a 3rd place on T3!

Of all the top players I played last year, Jorian crushed it against me the most by far.

EDIT: Looks like me and LOTR had more than that in common: We both finished tied for the same position overall.

#208 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

One of the best things about this tournament is playing match play among the best players in the world.

Absolutely! One of the hurdles we have in competitive pinball is overcoming peoples fears of playing highly ranked players. I hear it time and time again at tournaments where players will talk themselves out of playing because a Trent or Elwin is in attendance.

#209 10 years ago

Hey PA people, where can I play pinball tomorrow night?

I'm staying at the Doubletree
    500 Mansfield Ave
    Pittsburgh, PA

Are there any bars or places to play pin on location?
    After the 12 hour drive I will need a pin fix!

#210 10 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Hey PA people, where can I play pinball tomorrow night?
    I'm staying at the Doubletree
    500 Mansfield Ave
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are there any bars or places to play pin on location?
    After the 12 hour drive I will need a pin fix!

Too late for the tourney at the Doublewide Grill?
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-week

(I have no other info about this event, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere.)

#211 10 years ago

Here is the link for the Doublewide tournament Wednesday in Pittsburgh's South Side:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/208062676064634/

There are many places to play in this general area, along East Carson street in Pittsburgh's south side.

#212 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Of all the top players I played last year, Jorian crushed it against me the most by far.
    EDIT: Looks like me and LOTR had more than that in common: We both finished tied for the same position overall.

Hey Steve, I found you in the results! Maybe I will meet you this time. I see from your initial seeding you will be playing the 3rd place finisher in the circuit finals. Go get 'um!

#213 10 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hey Steve, I found you in the results! Maybe I will meet you this time. I see from your initial seeding you will be playing the 3rd place finisher in the circuit finals. Go get 'um!

I'll be wearing a white VERMONT hockey jersey, at least on Saturday. Feel free to grab me and say "play better", assuming I'm not actually playing at the time.

Nice 2014 starting seed for you, by the way. Good luck!

#214 10 years ago

I doubt we will make it in time for the Doublewide...any bars to hit up with a few pins?

#215 10 years ago

#253 here! Sorry for being so tardy to the roll call.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon! Mike

#216 10 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Here is the link for the Doublewide tournament Wednesday in Pittsburgh's South Side:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/208062676064634/

There are many places to play in this general area, along East Carson street in Pittsburgh's south side.

Be there in about an hour if lucky. The food at the Double wide is pretty good, will sample it before the night is over for sure.

#217 10 years ago

Quick question. Do you have to purchase tokens to play each and every game in the main tournament? If so, how much should I plan on spending on tokens JUST for the tournament banks.

Thanks

#218 10 years ago

You'll need 20 dollars minimum for 40 games. Although some of the EM's are only 1 token.

#219 10 years ago

will access to the extra parking lot be allowed on thursday as well?

#220 10 years ago

Day 1, I played way better than expected. Sitting in 14th seed in A div. Woot!

#221 10 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Day 1, I played way better than expected. Sitting in 14th seed in A div. Woot!

Heck yeah! That's awesome. Note that you're tied with the OP of this topic.

I'm tied for 35th in B. Considering how inconsistent I was yesterday, I'm pretty happy.

#222 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Heck yeah! That's awesome. Note that you're tied with the OP of this topic.
    I'm tied for 35th in B. Considering how inconsistent I was yesterday, I'm pretty happy.

Nice to have you with me in B Steve. Hope we get paired up. This is Jim by the way. See you there shortly. Breakfast this morning at bobs diner at 10. See if it tops gab and eat.

#223 10 years ago

I'm in B too somehow (#31) - scared of all these top name players in the division but should be fun!

Also put up a few pix from yesterday here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.606497602765121.1073741827.422448484503368&type=1

@LOTR-breath, will have to find ya or say hello - haven't met any folks from my home state of AL!

#224 10 years ago

Id be curious to know how far into the wait list they got.

#225 10 years ago

I think around 50-ish. I talked to Koi Morris who mentioned his friend got in and was around 50 I think

#226 10 years ago

Wow! If thats true thats actually pretty crazy. i was in the 70s

#227 10 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

I'm in B too somehow (#31)

I was surprised how high I placed as well considering I didn't even qualify last year in D. Sadly a lot of people tank it on purpose on Friday to make it in a group lesser then their skill level so they can make easy money. I seen it happen in some of my groups this year because I have played with some of the people in the past on Saturdays (when it counts) and know how good they are, yet they just happened to suck on Friday.

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2014-rollcall/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.