(Topic ID: 37981)

Pinburgh 2013 Who is going?

By Jeremecium

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I just registered for Pinburgh and was wondering who else is going. Well...who is going?

Cheers,

Jeremy

#2 11 years ago

I'm in! I guess Mark and/or Bowen will publish the list of players in a few days/weeks, or maybe when the 400 spots will be filled ?

#3 11 years ago

We will be posting a list soon, we've been waiting for the registration to settle down... and it never has!

We are about 80% full now. Registration is still open, but not for long. The prize pool is closing in on $50,000. I'm excited and amazed and thankful.

If you're thinking of signing up for Pinburgh 2013, make a decision soon!
    - Bowen

#4 11 years ago

Thanks, Bowen! I am looking forward to this very much. See you there!

#5 11 years ago

When is Pinburgh? I have a weekend trip upcoming there and it would be fantastic I it were the same weekend.

Thanks.

#6 11 years ago

I'm going and I'm bringing a mile long cheat sheet. If you see someone walking around with a tome of pinball knowledge the size of a dictionary, its probably me. Unfortunately, this isn't going to help me at all! I'll also be happy to answer any questions my competitors have about a game, for a nominal fee of course.......

#7 11 years ago

My gf and I are going! Registered a few weeks ago

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I'm going and I'm bringing a mile long cheat sheet. If you see someone walking around with a tome of pinball knowledge the size of a dictionary, its probably me. Unfortunately, this isn't going to help me at all! I'll also be happy to answer any questions my competitors have about a game, for a nominal fee of course.......

Lol your a Wizard... You shouldn't need a cheat sheet...

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Lol your a Wizard... You shouldn't need a cheat sheet...

I'm quite the opposite actually. More of a Winball Pizard than a Pinball Wizard

#10 11 years ago

The week begins April 8-10, with small tournaments in the Pittsburgh area. Sites and times to be announced, but they'll be fun.

April 11 is the PAPA Circuit Final with the top 20 players in a ladder match (no tables or chairs) for the title of Circuit Champion and a big cash bonus. Spectators are welcome and appreciated. The Pinburgh games will be available for play for 2 1/2 hours, the rest of the hall will be available all day, and there will also be a small Pingolf tournament.

April 12-14 is Pinburgh 2013 with 400 players in a battle for $60,000 in prizes and the Pinburgh Cup. Pre-registration is required and the tournament is filling up fast, with less than 80 spots remaining the last time I checked.

Let me know what other questions you have. It'll be a good time!

#11 11 years ago

It probably won't come up because all the spots will be gone, but what you write about pre-registration seems to contradict what's on the schedule page (http://papa.org/pinburgh2013/schedule.php).

"10:45 am, Cutoff for On-Site Registration"

Quoted from bkerins:

Pre-registration is required and the tournament is filling up fast, with less than 80 spots remaining the last time I checked.

#12 11 years ago

Copy paste fail.

#13 11 years ago

Just registered this morning.

#14 11 years ago

Going but not planning on playing the tournament, just wandering around and playing the non-tournament machines

#15 11 years ago

I won't be there until Thursday night, but will be ready to play Friday morning. I think my wife will be traveling with me, too. I wish I could make it earlier in the week. Funny how work gets in the way of things like that.

#16 11 years ago

I'm going for at least one day but I wont be playing in the tournament

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The Pinburgh games will be available for play for 2 1/2 hours,

What time is this practice session?

#18 11 years ago

I will be there through most of the tournament.

#19 11 years ago

man.. 400 people is gonna be... interesting. bathrooms were maxed with pinburgh last year... 400, I dont think they will cope! also the parking lot + surround was max capacity too, now add more cars?

only 1 place in walking distance (from memory...) for food. (so bring your own sandwhiches + water!).

I got the feeling staff were harried last year a bit.

Going to be very interesting, I think 400 might be too much for the building/facilities/staff etc. Obviously there is enough pins but 400 people might be pushing it.

Lets hope it all goes very smoothly without a hitch

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

man.. 400 people is gonna be... interesting. bathrooms were maxed with pinburgh last year... 400, I dont think they will cope! also the parking lot + surround was max capacity too, now add more cars?
    only 1 place in walking distance (from memory...) for food. (so bring your own sandwhiches + water!).
    I got the feeling staff were harried last year a bit.
    Going to be very interesting, I think 400 might be too much for the building/facilities/staff etc. Obviously there is enough pins but 400 people might be pushing it.
    Lets hope it all goes very smoothly without a hitch

man...400 people is going to be......awesome! Have faith in Mark and Bowen to pull this off....the 400 max number likely has some logic behind it in relation to the facility/games/staff/food availability/etc.....

I'll be there all weekend.

#21 11 years ago

Running shuttles this year. Did not do that last year. Also trying to work out additional parking on top of the shuttles.

A full menu of food will be provided on-site for the length of the tournament. I believe at PAPA 15, they even changed the menu depending on time of the day.

Bathroom situation was improved dramatically at PAPA 15 with the permanent oversight of an attendant / janitor, at last year' Pinburgh, many of these duties fell to the staff. Bathrooms were also switched from last years Pinburgh, meaning the men's is the old women's room, and we had new stalls put in the new women's room to replace the urinals. With these changes, the men's bathroom is now over twice as large as it was during last Pinburgh.

We're constantly working on other issues as well. Should be a great time.

#22 11 years ago

Can anyone give a brief explanation of pingolf? Or post a link instead.

I am now hoping to be there on Thursday, as well. I won't know until we get closer to April so that I will have a better idea of what my work schedule will look like for Thursday.

Jeremy

#23 11 years ago

Pingolf is a pretty simple format. There's typically nine games set up. Each game has a target score, say, 1b on attack from mars. If you score that on your first ball, you get a score of 1 for that game. If you score 1b on your fifth ball, you get a score of five. Lowest score at the end of the 9 games wins.

#24 11 years ago

mhs,

Thanks. I just read this http://www.pinsandneedlesla.com/pingolfrules.htm and I guess the Pinburgh format will be very similar. Sounds fun.

#25 11 years ago

Don't forget to stay afterwards for "THE GAUNTTTTLET...LET...LET..Let..let!!" on Sunday. I can't wait to run my big ass around PAPA failing at games. At least I'll have time to catch my breath

#26 11 years ago

Sorry for the confusion about the on-site registration notice. The intent of that notice is a cutoff for players to "check in" and complete payment if they are paying live. You're right that onsite registration is likely not going to happen this year, but there will be a waiting list. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

We are definitely aware of the issues around food and bathroom. You will find the bathroom situation much improved this year, and catering will be available on a much wider schedule than in 2012.

Don't forget to carpool...!

The full current list of 334 players and their league affiliations is now available on the PAPA Blog at http://papa.org/blog.

#27 11 years ago

will there be a shuttle from the Extended Stay or just the Courtyard?

#28 11 years ago

will there be a shuttle from the Extended Stay or just the Courtyard?

-> It seems I'm the only frenchie registered at the moment... still looking for someone willing to share a room at the Courtyard (or Extended Stay if there's a shuttle too)

EDIT: ARGH! No more rooms available with PAPA group codes..

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Running shuttles this year. Did not do that last year.

So there will be shuttles at Pinburgh this year similar to PAPA 15?

#30 11 years ago

Will there be shuttles from Australia??

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Will there be shuttles from Australia??

I'll be there to represent Victoria at least, the rest of the country can stuff off

Now if I could just convince the wife that we can move back

#32 11 years ago

I'll be there to represent Victoria at least, the rest of the country can stuff off
    Now if I could just convince the wife that we can move back

\

Expat or worked in AU for a while??

#33 11 years ago

I had a great time last year, can't wait to do it again!

*Collectors Beware! At the end of the weekend, you'll have at least five new titles on your want list!

#34 11 years ago

Expat. married into the usa. Its the old line!

"You have a daughter for life, son until he finds a wife".

going to au is like complete removal of a family safety net, we could live anywhere/state in CONUS.. but leaving the country... hmm. but its ok. land is piss cheap here. I got a national forest, a river, mountains. but its not oz!

#35 11 years ago

Yeah houses oh man... Like 20% the price!!! Guess l'll meet you at Pinburgh then... Where in Vic were you at?

#36 11 years ago

Lived in Springvale/Noble Park. Worked in Melbourne. Spent 5 years in London, now live here.

We'll have to do dinner. There is a nice little Irish pub downtown from papa hq! I'll be staying at the Extended Stay. Where are you staying?

#37 11 years ago

Yeah no idea. 1st time to the PAPA venue. Yeah I lived in Melbourne most my life... East malvern, burwood, kew, hawthorn, carnegie etc...

#38 11 years ago

Running shuttles from which hotel(s)? The Pinburgh site still says:

"We are not providing a shuttle to PAPA from these hotels during the Pinburgh event."

Thanks,
    Ron...

Quoted from mhs:

Running shuttles this year. Did not do that last year. Also trying to work out additional parking on top of the shuttles.
    A full menu of food will be provided on-site for the length of the tournament. I believe at PAPA 15, they even changed the menu depending on time of the day.
    Bathroom situation was improved dramatically at PAPA 15 with the permanent oversight of an attendant / janitor, at last year' Pinburgh, many of these duties fell to the staff. Bathrooms were also switched from last years Pinburgh, meaning the men's is the old women's room, and we had new stalls put in the new women's room to replace the urinals. With these changes, the men's bathroom is now over twice as large as it was during last Pinburgh.
    We're constantly working on other issues as well. Should be a great time.

#39 11 years ago

You will be noticing that sentence on the website changing within a few days - we are finalizing the contract. The shuttle is currently running between the Courtyard Marriott, the extended stay, and PAPA, but we are discussing other hotel options as well.

#40 11 years ago

53 spots remain.

#41 11 years ago

Just found out I won't be able to make it this year because of work. I'll be at papa16 though!

#42 11 years ago

I'm in.

#43 11 years ago

FYI, 21 more players registered since yesterday afternoon. There are now 45 spots remaining in the tournament, so... yeah.

Thanks to everyone who is interested and we think you'll have a good time!

The updated list of registered players is on the PAPA Blog at http://papa.org/blog, including all league affiliations.

#44 11 years ago

HURRY...HURRY...HURRY, preregister now or miss out. (See what I did there?)

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

You will be noticing that sentence on the website changing within a few days - we are finalizing the contract. The shuttle is currently running between the Courtyard Marriott

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The week begins April 8-10, with small tournaments in the Pittsburgh area. Sites and times to be announced, but they'll be fun.

I seem to recall a list of tentative (or confirmed) local Pittsburgh events/tourneys during 4/8-10, but now I can't find it. Would someone mind posting a link or the info?

I might be able to make an evening 4/10 event.

#47 11 years ago

Tentative list of locations for those tournament is here
    http://papa.org/blog/2013/01/pinburgh-2013/

#48 11 years ago

I guess I could just post it. Times and further details coming soon.

Monday, April 8: PAPA-style format
    Slovak Club of Parks Township
    1214 Lincoln st
    North Vandergrift, PA 15690

Tuesday, April 9: Pingolf
    AMF Manor Lanes
    2440 Noblestown Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205

Wednesday, April 10: Best-Game Qualifying Format
    Doublewide Grill
    2339 East Carson St
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Thursday, April 11: PAPA Circuit Final & Pingolf
    PAPA HQ
    100 Keystone Drive
    Carnegie, PA 15106

Friday – Sunday, April 12-14: PINBURGH!, Consolation Tournament & After Party Gauntlet
    PAPA HQ
    100 Keystone Drive
    Carnegie, PA 15106

#49 11 years ago

39 spots remain.

#50 11 years ago

Rossz, I have added 10 rooms to the group block at the hotel for each night. This is probably the most we can get. Good luck and thanks!

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinburgh-2013-who-is-going and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.