(Topic ID: 60553)

Pinbox - Has anyone successfully installed it in a Pinball 2000 game?

By Collin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by porkcarrot
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nucore User Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
352172AF-BCC5-4C99-BBE2-A49DFBD7068F (resized).jpeg
F2BB3FCD-7F8E-419C-BCB6-757A907FAA81 (resized).jpeg
pirate.jpg
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago

There's always the other side too. I know of a long time op that has 8 working CPU's from trades sitting on the shelf waiting for cheap games to come in to flip. He'll wait for more to die to get better prices and he won't sell them because a working game is worth more to him. They are out there if you know where to look and can do a lot of sweet talking.

Steve

Quoted from vid1900:

I hear ya, but there are way more P2K games out there that are missing CPUs than there are spare CPUs floating around looking for a game to live in.
There is one OP in OH that has at least four P2K games sitting in his junk room all without CPU.

#102 10 years ago

Like anything else, something will work out for somebody somehow.

I like a game with all matching boards, but sometimes the old one is too corroded or burned to be fixed economically.

A brand new Rottendog is cheaper than the needed repair, and with all new parts, is going to be more reliable in the long run.

Someone else may disagree and want the old board fixed at any cost.....just the way it is.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've got a client that bought a RFM at auction and when he drilled out the lock there was no CPU inside.
Do you think he will:
1. Throw the game in the trash
2. Wait for never for Nucore to return
3. Install Pinbox

I know exactly what will happen, doesn't make it right. I'm guessing that same person has never written software and had it stolen either. I'm guessing that all of the guys that use pinbox have never written software and if they have then they should be ashamed of themselves.

I can tell you what I would do; I'd wait for Nucore or find spare parts but that's just me I guess. I like my moral compass just the way it is. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

I'm not saying I don't understand, I do. I guarantee you that the majority of those who are using pinbox now won't buy Nucore when it comes up for sale again which is a shame. Now if some enterprising pinball fan decided to write software from the ground up and give it out for free that would be a different story altogether.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I'm guessing that same person has never written software and had it stolen either.

I've have albums that I've performed on all over Piratebay and back in the day, Napster.

I got used to that "new reality" long ago.

I've always felt that if the record companies would have not been so stubborn, and simply provided music the way the fans were demanding it, we'd have a much different industry right now.

Same thing with Nucore, had Nucore been available, Pinbox would have never appeared.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Yay! Helping people to pirate software is something to be proud of, congrats!

He who is without sin, cast the first stone:

Hopefully all the hollier-than-thou critics dont have MAME installed in their house or virtual pinball or an MP3 they don't own the Cd for or any torrent client on their PC or ever used napster, etc, etc.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I can confirm xen's post works. Just be sure you are connected to the internet as it grab files off the web.
It booted right to the blue game selection screen and NOT hooked up via parallel to a p2k driver board.
Thanks zen!!
D

Ok but what does it do once connected to the game.. does it boot to the game or crash when you select your game...

For giggles I tried it and mine crashes when I select the game. My game is functioning with the original parts so I am not worried. I was curious to see what all the hoopla was about. Me not being a unix person I am a bit lost when things go wrong.

I for one will buy Nucore when it returns. I stupidly assumed it would be around a while when they were selling it but medical stuff got in the way. Fortunately I am not in dire need of it at this point.

#107 10 years ago

dupe delete please... got an error message and didn't realize it triple posted..

#108 10 years ago

dupe sorry

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've got a client that bought a RFM at auction and when he drilled out the lock there was no CPU inside.
Do you think he will:
1. Throw the game in the trash
2. Wait for never for Nucore to return
3. Install Pinbox

Hopefully #1 then I would do #3.

Crying about someone pirating your work when its not available to legally purchase is silly.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

. I put $4 in a RFM a couple of days ago and didn't touch the SWEP1. It's simply no comparison

I have owned both RFM and SWEI . I enjoyed them both. But SWEI I liked more. The lighting was great. The voice of the original cast. N. Portman's voice is great. The playfield magnet was a cool touch. Neon light saber. I never did get to JEDI SPIRIT mode. JPOP gave it his suave touch like his other Midway games. But I did trade it after 7 years against a X-Men LE. Underrated pinball. And the last of its kind.

#111 10 years ago

I am looking to buy a broken pin2k now that I have the repair solution safely stored on my computer. Does anyone know where I can buy one of those machines with the missing computer?

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The same reason that people spend hundreds blinging out their games with mods that don't contribute to the crucial operation of the machine. They're out there.

That's my point. He made a blanketed statement that doesn apply to everyone.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

I am looking to buy a broken pin2k now that I have the repair solution safely stored on my computer. Does anyone know where I can buy one of those machines with the missing computer?

There was a broken one on Cincinnati CL the other day.

#114 10 years ago

Used Star Wars Episode 1 playfield $700 obo. Pop bumpers need to be rebuilt. Flat plastic ship on right side above flipper is broken. I have bought most of the parts to rebuild the pop bumpers

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/Lionsfan60/slideshow/SWEP1%20Used%20Playfield

Also have full set of cabinet decals and a daughter card without roms for sale make an offer on these.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

Ok but what does it do once connected to the game.. does it boot to the game or crash when you select your game...
For giggles I tried it and mine crashes when I select the game.

Usually it will autodetect the game and starts it. No need to select anything. Maybe there is something wrong with the parallel port connection?

The only io-address which works (afaik) with Nucore is: 0x378

root@linux:~# cat /proc/ioports | grep par
0378-037a : parport0

The address can be changed in the bios of the motherboard. I know only one available external PCI card which supports this address (Startech pci card with re-mappable address) and costs as much as a cheap motherboard.

Testing an external card:

root@linux:~# rmmod lp
root@linux:~# rmmod ppdev
root@linux:~# rmmod parport_pc
root@linux:~# rmmod parport
root@linux:~# modprobe parport_pc io=0x378

Then start Nucore or Pinbox

cheers

#116 10 years ago

my parallel port has to be working as I am able to select either RFM or SWEP1 with the flipper/action buttons when the game selection screen comes up. If you look in this thread there are others who get to this screen as well. I went ahead and hooked the original computer back up until I get bored and decide to try again. Maybe it didn't like the set of ROMS I used.. I used 1.6...

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The owner? Posted a thread on pinside saying the legal battle took time away but after they were going to update it... I would have to find the thread.
Ah here http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/04/the-most-dangerous-manmade-lava-flow/

Awesome. So the new Nucore will be radioactive?

#118 10 years ago

Hi,
I try to use an ati grpahic card with soft 15khz. I add the modline and it works well on the normal lubuntu desktop! I create a file with following commands:
xrandr --newmode "640x480-15khz" 13.218975 640 672 736 840 480 484 490 525 -HSync -VSync interlace
xrandr --addmode DVI-1 "640x480-15khz"

xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode "640x480-15khz"

It works well but not with the pinbox software.

Now the problem is if I start the pinbox software than the software changes the resolution to normal 640x480 60Hz. I don't know how and where I have to set my working modeline as standard value.

Kind regards

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Pinbox wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Nucore, remember that.

If Nucore didn't exist, someone else would have created it. Thanks to them for doing it. Sorry that they didn't sell enough, but I think their price points were a bit high, and they didn't offer enough expanded functionality. That's what happens. If someone comes along and expands P2K they can do very well, but they have to do more. If not, then the price has to be cheap.

#120 10 years ago

Can those reading this thread, please take a look at one I started on the installation of Pinbox?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/linuxubuntu-gurus-please-help-me

I'm having some hassles getting to work on my machine.

2 months later
#121 10 years ago

curious is the Nucore system still available? what options does the owner of RMF or SWE1 if their Prism card dies?
I would love to own RMF but i dont know much about the platform.

3 years later
#122 6 years ago

If anyone is having problems installing and just getting to the login prompt this is due to the version of Ubuntu being outdated you have to point to another resource.
The commands below really work, I know, I tried it last night (14th Sept 2017) with 100% success.

sudo su
sudo sed -i -re 's/([a-z]{2}\.)?archive.ubuntu.com|security.ubuntu.com/old-releases.ubuntu.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
mv /etc/lxdm /etc/lxdm.orig
apt-get install lxdm
cp /root/pinbox/scripts/pinbox.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot

Regards,
Andrew

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewhannay:

If anyone is having problems installing and just getting to the login prompt this is due to the version of Ubuntu being outdated you have to point to another resource.
The commands below really work, I know, I tried it last night (14th Sept 2017) with 100% success.
sudo su
sudo sed -i -re 's/([a-z]{2}\.)?archive.ubuntu.com|security.ubuntu.com/old-releases.ubuntu.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
apt-get install lxdm
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot
Regards,
Andrew

The above does indeed work perfectly.

I just brought this one back to life and it handle 534 plays over 3.5 days without a hitch at the Cleveland Pinball and Arcade Show.

If only someone could figure out how to port the NuCore update that disables the LED bulb check to get rid of the credit dot!

F2BB3FCD-7F8E-419C-BCB6-757A907FAA81 (resized).jpegF2BB3FCD-7F8E-419C-BCB6-757A907FAA81 (resized).jpeg

352172AF-BCC5-4C99-BBE2-A49DFBD7068F (resized).jpeg352172AF-BCC5-4C99-BBE2-A49DFBD7068F (resized).jpeg

#124 6 years ago

I have installed the pinbox software on a dual core 1.8ghz Intel Atom in a jetway PC and everything seems to work fine except the sound is really choppy. Am I using a processor that is fast enough? I know it's below the spec recommended but I thought I would get away with it. Maybe the whole motherboard isn't up to the job. Would a more powerful motherboard setup be the solution. What should my FPS be?

#125 6 years ago

I have installed the pinbox software on a dual core 1.8ghz Intel Atom in a jetway PC and everything seems to work fine except the sound is really choppy. Am I using a processor that is fast enough? I know it's below the spec recommended but I thought I would get away with it. Maybe the whole motherboard isn't up to the job. Would a more powerful motherboard setup be the solution. What should my FPS be?

Probably too slow. Try an external sound card like a sounblaster live and then if that doesn’t work 2ghz or faster would be the stated minimum system requirements.

4 months later
#126 6 years ago

Hi there could some one give me any help?

sudo su
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
apt-get install lxdm
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot
Regards,
Andrew

Not working for me.

2 years later
#127 3 years ago

Any one have any luck recently? Getting to the point of restart and getting the remove cd and hit enter. It then locks up

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Any one have any luck recently? Getting to the point of restart and getting the remove cd and hit enter. It then locks up

nucore went free last year. you could also try that
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/nucoresupport.shtml

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

nucore went free last year. you could also try that
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/nucoresupport.shtml

Thanks I don’t see the new user download file?

#130 3 years ago

This the hardware i used to upgrade to Pinbox. List is located at the bottom of the blog.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2019/05/02/repairs-video-overview-of-revenge-from-mars-issue-with-fuse-109-flashers-not-working-video/

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Thanks I don’t see the new user download file?

I'ver never had to install nucore or pinbox. But looks like you get ubuntu installed and then load in the nucore software.

Nucore User Manual.pdfNucore User Manual.pdf
#132 3 years ago

If anyone if looks for the files I’ll put you in the right direction, after 12 hours of trying to up date update list, installing dev on the 10.0.4 that comes with pinbox still wouldn’t boot.

Finally was able to find the nucore download and got it running. Had to use a French to English converter to figure out what was missing. Not great but running.

Don’t even bother with the pinbox torrent.

Further more what’s the point of nucore stating it’s now free but won’t host the files for the software. I would have even donated to them. Would have saved me a weekend.

Guess the other bone I have to pick is with pinball life, they know these cpus are starting to crash at this point. This platform would have been way better if the greed didn’t take over. They should have given the guys at bigguys the wavier to use what ever they needed. But I guess making $5 per rom is better than saving a platform.

/rant

1 week later
#133 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Guess the other bone I have to pick is with pinball life, they know these cpus are starting to crash at this point. This platform would have been way better if the greed didn’t take over. They should have given the guys at bigguys the wavier to use what ever they needed. But I guess making $5 per rom is better than saving a platform.
/rant

We were only the distributor of this product. Nothing else. We worked for Big Guys. They did not work for us. We had and have nothing to do with the assets, manufacture or warranty.
Terry.

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

If anyone if looks for the files I’ll put you in the right direction, after 12 hours of trying to up date update list, installing dev on the 10.0.4 that comes with pinbox still wouldn’t boot.
Finally was able to find the nucore download and got it running. Had to use a French to English converter to figure out what was missing. Not great but running.
Don’t even bother with the pinbox torrent.
Further more what’s the point of nucore stating it’s now free but won’t host the files for the software. I would have even donated to them. Would have saved me a weekend.
/rant

What's the problem with the pinbox torrent? I installed it last and had no problems. Had it up and running in less than an hour.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

What's the problem with the pinbox torrent?

Where is the Pinbox torrent located?

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

Where is the Pinbox torrent located?

I found it just by searching a popular torrent site.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbox-has-anyone-successfully-installed-it-in-a-pinball-2000-game/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.