(Topic ID: 28516)

Pinbot visor 'sticks', flaky lamp... advice?

By Richthofen

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Richthofen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140206_194250.jpg
20140206_194409.jpg
20140206_194223.jpg
Visor.jpg
Visor.jpg
#1 11 years ago

My pinbot visor seems to go down half way and not quite open all the way. Does it need lubrication? See the video for the behavior.

The limit switches work fine in switch test.

Also, this is a flaky lamp underneath the drop targets. when I twist the bulb holder it goes in and out. How do you adjust this?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Twist bulb holder - is this a bayonet style #44 socket ? If so replace it is probably easiest.

Visor - Might need a good cleaning, especially if there is grease in there which isn't needed.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

Hey LTG, thanks. Does this mean pulling the visor out and the motor and rebuild? *sigh* yet another thing that seems over my head

#4 11 years ago

Also, it's a 44 assembly with some weird y-shaped metal, a diode, and some sort of weird bushing/rotating thing. Don't suppose I could get this at marco?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Hey LTG, thanks. Does this mean pulling the visor out and the motor and rebuild? *sigh* yet another thing that seems over my head []

But you'll feel so much better after it's done and you learned during the process.

Take your time, maybe notes or pictures. You'll be fine.

LTG

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Also, it's a 44 assembly with some weird y-shaped metal, a diode, and some sort of weird bushing/rotating thing. Don't suppose I could get this at marco?

I'd get a #44 socket with three lugs - two for wires one for diode, and wire it up the same way as other sockets.

LTG

#7 11 years ago

Thanks LTG. Sorry to be a PITA, and this is a total NEWB question, but how do I determine what part that lamp holder is? Are they more or less generic? This one seemed a little different, it had a longer bracket due to the way it was mounted. I usually buy from Marco, would this work?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17835

Thanks for all your help

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Thanks LTG. Sorry to be a PITA, and this is a total NEWB question, but how do I determine what part that lamp holder is? Are they more or less generic? This one seemed a little different, it had a longer bracket due to the way it was mounted. I usually buy from Marco, would this work?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17835

Thanks for all your help

No need to be sorry. It is easier to help now than later when things go wrong. All part of learning more about pinball.

The socket you listed will work fine. Wire it in right and you'll be good to go.

LTG

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No need to be sorry. It is easier to help now than later when things go wrong. All part of learning more about pinball.
The socket you listed will work fine. Wire it in right and you'll be good to go.
LTG

LTG FTW!

Quoted from Richthofen:

Hey LTG, thanks. Does this mean pulling the visor out and the motor and rebuild? *sigh* yet another thing that seems over my head

Rich, we have seen what you have accomplished on SMB. You know what you accomplished. Don't back down. You will learn it and then help others when they ask about the Pinbot visor.

#10 11 years ago

There is nothing to lubricate on the visor. As you can see what the stickers says in pic.
I would check the screws that set the bottom travel of the visor.

Visor.jpgVisor.jpg

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

As you can see what the stickers says in pic

Haven't had any problem with mine. But that sticker is missing, so future thanks when I don't do something stupid.

#12 11 years ago

I was wondering what the hell those screws were for. The more you know! God I love this hobby.

I know those screws give enough clearance because at one point the visor opened all the way. And I haven't adjusted the screws since then, so I am thinking the motor itself is sticking, and the motor reverses direction when it encounters resistance. I guess I should plan a weekend to pull the motor out and do a little maintenance.

#13 11 years ago

I would recommend talking it all apart, cleaning everything and put it all back together.
Pinbot is not too hard to take apart.

Start at the visor 'helmet', then the ramp, then you should be able to get at the visor stuff on top, the under playfield stuff should be easy to get at anyway.
Replace those post sleeves while you're at it

#14 11 years ago

Richthofen, That motor only spins in one direction, in doesn't reverse.
One other thing to check is to make sure the small bushing is still on the motor shaft.
Heard of them falling off and causing problems.

2 weeks later
#15 11 years ago

Ok, so I replaced the bayonet lamp holder, and there's no more flicker. Had to bend the armature to match the stock one but seems to be working nonetheless. Thanks for the parts help!

I started pulling the motor visor assembly apart. Motor and switches seem to operate correctly when disconnected from the visor target bank. However when connected to the visor target bank, it appears the arms for the assembly 'stick' sometimes on up/down, so the motor struggles to open the visor somewhat, causing the limit switches to not read, so the visor goes through an additional cycle of open/close.

There appears to be a lot of play in the visor target bank (flex forward/back slightly) and play in the arms. I'm not sure how to adjust them or proceed. Can anyone offer some insight?

#16 11 years ago

Rich, for what it's worth, my Pinbot also seems to have some play in those areas. I notice that when a ball hits the target bank, I can see it move, especially if I strike it solidly. The visor arms underneath have some play too, so I'm thinking this is normal.

I don't know if I have the same issue, but sometimes, maybe 1/10 times, when the visor opens, the target bank doesn't go down all the way, sticking up above the playfield maybe as much as 1/4". This is enough to keep balls out, and it also makes balls go airborne if I hit it hard enough.

I'm planning on waiting until it happens again. Then I'll turn the game off and raise the playfield and see if I can see the target bank getting caught on something.

I also didn't know what those screws were for. Since my problem is intermittent, I'm not sure adjusting those will help me. I did notice that one of the screws was screwed in further than the other. It seems that they should be the same.

Sorry to hijack your thread with my problem, but maybe its related. Unfortunately, my Pinbot is a couple states away, so I won't get to troubleshoot it again until next Saturday.

#17 11 years ago

This sounds more like my issue:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-motorized-drop-targets

It may or not be related to yours. I just found this thread but did not find it for some reason when I searched yesterday.

#18 11 years ago

Rich, did you install plastic protectors on your game? My visor lid doesn't close all the way, and I'm pretty sure it's dragging against the plastic protector.

#19 11 years ago

I did not install plastic protectors. I didn't even know they made them

#20 11 years ago

Bump. Someone has to have disassembled the armature and have some advice. If the arms are bent do I just deal with it?

#21 11 years ago

Rich, can you post a couple pics with motor assembly off.

#22 11 years ago

Tonight I'll make a video and put it on youtube of the behavior I see.

#23 11 years ago

Video of the problem:

#24 11 years ago

Something has to be binding the linkage under the visor. I would take the target carrier off and see how the visor opens. Take a look under the visor and see if anything is binding there.
Also you do have the bushing that belongs on the motor cam?

#25 11 years ago

Yes, the bushing is on the motor cam. I took the target bank assembly out last night and cleaned it. Didn't help. What's binding is definitely the arms for the flip-up visor part. I'm not sure how to adjust them or even how to unlink the arms; they're not screwed together. I think the arms might be bent slightly.

#26 11 years ago

There's no adjustment on the arms. On the middle of the arm that goes to the carrier there's a clip, take that off and the washer and you can separate the bottom linkage from the visor. Unfortunately to get to the top of the visor you have to remove the blue ramp.

Visor.jpgVisor.jpg

1 year later
#27 10 years ago

Old thread, I know. Just following up with what I think was causing my particular target bank problem. I was tired of my target bank sticking up about 1/4" once every 20 times, so I finally took apart the assembly and realized one of the two limit switches was different than the other. I also broke the other switch, so I ordered two new ones. I also cleaned the grease off the two plastic pieces in the assembly that slide against each other and applied new lithium grease.

So far, so good.

Here are pics of the original switches and one of the new ones (both of the new ones are identical, as the manual specifies). You can see one of the old ones had a way different actuator that appeared to have been bent into shape, possibly causing the machine to sense that the target bank was all the way down when it was not.

20140206_194223.jpg20140206_194223.jpg 20140206_194250.jpg20140206_194250.jpg 20140206_194409.jpg20140206_194409.jpg
#28 10 years ago

Yep just replaced both my micro switches, thinking i was going to be smart & open up the gear box for a general clean out & regrease, those gearbox's are POS should have left it alone

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

small bushing is still on the motor shaft

Quoted from chipleader:

Also you do have the bushing that belongs on the motor cam

I notice I am having same problem and when I look the cam on motor is missing the Bushing. Anyone know who sells this item or idea what to use in place of it ?
Thanks
Sorry to Hijack thread
could anyone take a picture of the bushing is it plastic or rubber ?
Thanks for help

#30 10 years ago

Hey guys,

Just to update, the ultimate fix for me was a new motor. The visor arms were slightly bent and the old motor started slipping. Eventually gave out. New motor fixed everything.

But to Greg's question, the bushing is not actually listed in Williams part numbers. Check this marco part, which the bushing fits on. The manual has no part number and I doubt this part would contain the bushing.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-11154

What I am seeing is that the flipper bushings used on this game can be cut and the narrow end of the flipper bushing could be used as a replacement bushing.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7568

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-visor-sticks-flaky-lamp-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.