• Latest reply 1 year ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20221130-085210.png
#1 1 year ago

I have an issue where the visor is acting up. The game will play normally if I don’t have the ramp down switch activated. When I do the visor goes up and down and nothing works correctly. In switch test all switches work normally as long as the visor switches aren’t closed. If one or the other is closed, all switch tests in that column register as either of those two switches depending on which one is closed at the time. I’ve tested all the switches and all of the diodes. I’m thinking it must be on the board. Am I missing anything? Also when the game first starts the ramp flutters up and down a few times. I’ve seen others have broken off wires causing this but I’ve extensively checked all diodes and connections

#2 1 year ago

Did this problem just start happening or did you get the game in this condition?

Looks like all the problem switches are on column 6: Screenshot_20221130-085210.pngScreenshot_20221130-085210.png

Just to be sure, you've verified the diodes are installed with proper orientation and you're getting continuity from the green-blue wire among all 5 switches and the connector at 1J8 pin 7? The pop bumper has 2 switches, the activation switch and the scoring switch--make sure you're checking the correct one (the one with the green-blue wiring)...

To determine if it's on the CPU or playfield: put the game in switch test then pull connectors 1J8 (switch matrix columns) and 1J10 (switch matrix rows). Using an alligator jumper, clip one end to 1J8 pin 7 (column 6) and take the other end of the jumper and use it to touch each of the pins on 1J10 one at a time. Each switch on column 5 should register as you activate them. If everything checks good using that test, you can be assured the problem is on the playfield somewhere. Possibly a sneaky short to a screw coming through the playfield or adjacent lamp/coil/bracket/etc?

#3 1 year ago

I lent the game to a family member. Needless to say when it stopped working they said come pick it up. Thanks Frunch I’ll do some checking

#4 1 year ago

The really comes into play when a visor switch is activated with any other at the same time. Can I jumper two at the same time?

#5 1 year ago

I don't see why you couldn't. Try it and see if that changes your results at all.

If the test is working for each pin individually though, I'd suspect the problem to be on the playfield.

Happy hunting!

#6 1 year ago

Ok here’s a strange thing, I looked under the playfield over everything and saw two wires on the lamp socket touching. I separated the tabs and the game played normal. I only have had time for one game but so far so good. It’s a control lamp right next to one of the switches that had issues

#7 1 year ago

That might have been it! Fingers crossed! After you said it passed the jumper tests I was beginning to think it was going to be a playfield problem...

#8 1 year ago

Yeah that wasn’t it. It has issues the ball goes in the visor and cycles up and down about 5 times then works fine for a bit then messed up again. I’m going to rebuild the visor switches since they’re old and don’t match anyway.

#9 1 year ago

I haven’t tested the board but curious which chips run that row so if I find that’s the issue I can install new ones

#10 1 year ago

Hopefully it's just gonna be a matter of new visor switches then. I believe it will keep raising/lowing until it detects it's "home" in the upper or lower position.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-visor-open-closed-switches-causing-column-switch-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.