(Topic ID: 144754)

Pinbot troubles.. Visor motor. What have I done??

By pinlink

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

motor.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I started to shop out my pinbot and was manually raising and lowering the visor targets (probably a dumb move) and now when I turn it on the motor continuously runs but nothing happens. The visor targets can not be lowered or raised with the motor. Here is a video of what is happening. Any ideas? Did I destroy the motor by raising and lowering it by hand?

#3 8 years ago

I've taken it apart as much as I'm able to but still don't get what's happening. Are the teeth supposed to spin with the motor? You can see in the video it doesn't look like they are catching?

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Here is another video, I put a black dot on the motor to show that it's not actually rotating, not sure if this is normal? Good to know that this part is available. Any suggestions on where to get one? Does it look like this one is done for?

#7 8 years ago

So I guess the motor is supposed to spin all the way around, that would make sense. Well...crap. So you think just the motor is what I need to replace (just this part http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7941)? Thanks again!

#8 8 years ago

I guess I'll order that motor if the consensus is that's the issue and will fix it

#9 8 years ago

About to try and take the motor apart in hopes I can somehow get it working (last ditch effort). Any suggestions on how to go about this? Does it just pull apart, is there a trick? This is all new to me.

If I don't have any success I'll order the motor. Based on the videos, does it seem that I only need the motor part (ie the part I posted above)? Or would I need the entire assembly? I haven't seen anyone selling the whole set up so hoping it's just the motor piece.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks! This all new to me so that is very helpful. So I stripped a gear, would that part from Marco fix this or will I have to replace the whole dang assembly? Also is there some trick to taking this thing apart? It's driving me crazy. Assuming I need to loosen this screw? It won't budgeimage.jpgimage.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Thanks again, I may have to look into a product like that. That little screw just ain't moving.

1 week later
#18 8 years ago

Ok I got the new motor and now looking for some help getting it connected. I'm sure this is basic stuff but how do I go about connecting this? Appears that the wires for the old motor are pretty stuck in the connector, also do I need to reuse these "tips" (not sure what else to call them) somehow (pic 2)?. Pic 1 is just showing what the wire ends look like for the new motor. image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Well crap. Is there somewhere locally to pick up these tools I need (Home Depot, etc.)? So sounds like the tools will allow me to extract the existing pins and reuse them?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

If you don't anticipate the need for doing more connectors in the future, or if you just want to save some $, or if you can't wait another week to get the parts and the tool, there is nothing wrong with reusing the existing connector off the existing motor. Just cut it off leaving a couple inches of wire to work with and splice the wires from the new motor onto the existing connector wires...strip, twist together, solder, heat shrink or electrical tape, and go.

Maybe I'll give this a shot, really don't want to have to spend more money (those tools are pricey). Don't have experience splicing wires but I'll do some research.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

No, not to reuse the pins. It's so you can reuse the connector housing. You would need to buy new pins as well. Since your pretty new to all this, I would just do as someone else suggested and just cut the wires, strip them, twist them, then solder to make a permanent connection. Then just use electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to insulate your work.

I'm going to give this a shot, seems fairly easy. Thanks everyone!

#28 8 years ago

I'm a little confused on what the "gears" are I guess. This is what I got, does this include the "gearbox".
motor.jpgmotor.jpg

#30 8 years ago

Last question before trying this, does it matter which wire I solder to the other? Don't see any writing or anything on either of the new wires, they look the same...?

#31 8 years ago

Hope that question makes sense. I'm not looking at it now, but hopefully I can figure that part out before soldering

#33 8 years ago

Done! Works like a charm now. Thanks everyone for the help, couldn't have done it without you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-troubles-visor-motor?tu=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.