Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
397788D7-C168-4FE7-899B-B20975425C44 (resized).jpeg
9D6D0C4C-12C1-47E3-91F2-503B918265BC (resized).jpeg
DE82D191-A447-47ED-9181-D7A3D11B955F (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Sorry for being the new guy and asking what are probably stupid questions. I have been given a Pinbot that has been setting in around for at least 10 years. I have read the manual for it that I found online, and have opened it up. I found that a bunch of the harnesses were unplugged from the main circuit board.
This is my first time ever looking inside a pinball machine but it doesn't look too bad.
So, my question is where to start? It powers up and gives a message of IRQ failure, then 26 ROM failure. After displaying that message it will start some sort of counting up at which point the flippers will work.
Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago

Could you attach closeup pictures of the main board near the area where the batteries are?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Could you attach closeup pictures of the main board near the area where the batteries are?

Yes, I'll have to go by the house and take some to post. I've sort of half looked at that area because I've read so many posts here talking about batteries leaking.

#4 3 years ago

So here is the battery area and the chip below it. Also someone has left a few screws out of the board mounting locations. And the wires that were unplugged were these along the bottom.

397788D7-C168-4FE7-899B-B20975425C44 (resized).jpeg397788D7-C168-4FE7-899B-B20975425C44 (resized).jpeg9D6D0C4C-12C1-47E3-91F2-503B918265BC (resized).jpeg9D6D0C4C-12C1-47E3-91F2-503B918265BC (resized).jpegDE82D191-A447-47ED-9181-D7A3D11B955F (resized).jpegDE82D191-A447-47ED-9181-D7A3D11B955F (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago

Luckily it doesn't appear the batteries have started leaking... yet. I would remove them and see if you get the adjustment failure message. Also with the power off, you can try to reset each connector on that board and then try powering up. Let's see what you get after those two steps.

#6 3 years ago

Well maybe I’ve found something. Pin 7 on plug 1J10 has a broken wire. It was one of the plugs that had been unplugged from, I assume, the weight of the harness hanging with the backboard folded down. I don’t have the proper tool to remove the female from the plug so I’m going to try a jumper and see what happens.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

That connector is for your switch rows, while you will definitely need to fix that, it isn't what is causing your issue I don't believe.

#8 3 years ago

OK, now I have tried a couple things.
First after removing and replacing all the harness connectors to the main board and with the coin door shut it gave me the 26 Rom Failure. But I tried to wiggle the 26 ROM unit/chip. It looks to me like that chip would remove from the board without soldering.
Anyway, now it displays "factory setting" on the top 2 displays for just a second. Then flashes 00 on the player one display, just for a split second. And commences to do this endless loop of "1d 01, AU counting to around 40 and Ad counting to 70"

Again, thank you for your help.

#9 3 years ago

Ok so you may have resat that chip enough to make good contact. It sounds like now the button on the coin door is jammed down (there are 3), so its cycling through the audits. If you can get it to stop that, we are close to being able to get the game into attract mode and possibly playing!

#10 3 years ago

I thought I was close when I found the pins on one of the buttons touching the leg of what I think is a diode that is soldered to the high limit reset switch. I had left for 30 minutes or so and when I powered it back up the 26 ROM is back. After powering down and checking the advance and auto/up switch with a meter I don't believe they are stuck. With them disconnected via the wire harness 7J4 plug I powered the game up and the 26 ROM is back and it still does the counting thru the audits thing again. I also tried tracing the wires from the 3 door switches to see where they connect to the CPU board. I'll go back to trying to follow them while I wait for your excellent help.

#11 3 years ago

Door switches go to 1J-14.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks guys. Found the connector and unplugged it from the CPU. Still doing the counting thing.

#13 3 years ago

I have progress to report! I have found that 1J13 which is 4 black wires and is Solenoid Ground was switched with 1J14 door switches. Having switched the 2 plugs at the CPU the game now boots and displays Factory Setting. I think I read about that somewhere in the manual.
After closing the coin door and powering up I get Adjust Failure. Making progress!

#14 3 years ago

Great so now with the door open, turn the game on and off and the back on quickly and it should go to the attract mode. Then you can trip the coin switch to give a credit or two, and press start. The game hopefully will play.

If the on/off/on doesn't get you to the attract mode, the you will have to clear the adjustment failure by using the coin door buttons. Read that section in the manual you downloaded. Also if the battery holder is good, if you replace the batteries once you clear the adjustment failure with the game on, you shouldn't have to do it again.

#15 3 years ago

Xenon75. I’m not exactly sure how I did it but, I scrolled thru the game adjustments and then closed the coin door and it went into what I assume is attract mode and when I hit the coin add switch it plays! This is so amazing. Thank you so much. Of course now my wife has taken over the game.....
I will add fresh batteries and see how it goes from there. Next I think the sound is not right. Who knows. I’ve never even seen this thing light up before.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

By turning up the volume from the lowest to medium now it sounds great. Kids are already asking that I install a headphone jack.

#17 3 years ago

Great! Looks like the game is in great shape, love pinbot!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-trouble-shooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.