(Topic ID: 54465)

Pinbot Topper Group buy - UPDATE - HERE IT IS!

By charliex

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4115 (resized).JPG
IMG_4091 (resized).JPG
FB_IMG_1518877554828.jpg
20180108_023702_resize (resized).jpg
20180105_211708_resize (resized).jpg
20180103_235503_resize (resized).jpg
20171220_125327 (resized).jpg
20171220_125142 (resized).jpg
20171220_125328 (resized).jpg
20171220_125147 (resized).jpg
20171205_221100 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171125_2103434_resize (resized).jpg
IMG_20171125_2103131_resize (resized).jpg
IMG_20171125_2103493_resize (resized).jpg
IMG_20171125_2103319_resize (resized).jpg
IMG_20171128_2117465_resize (resized).jpg

There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 10 years ago

Update 10/11/2014

PRICE: $200 including shipping ( EDIT ) PM me for purchase info. Down to 4 left.

--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------

Old message thread starts here:

-------

I have been planning to make a new Pinbot topper, meaning a recreation of the stock light bar. As you probably know if you need one, they are currently unobtainium.

EDIT: This would be a clear mold just like the original with transparent red paint internally. This would not include the lighting wiring harness or the bottom plastic piece. But I do have a working light wiring harness in case anyone needs photos.

So how many people would buy a new topper if I recreate them? I really have no idea what they would cost but my target would be under $100 each.

36003702.png36003702.png

Current List:

1. Lukex
2. R6emperor
3. Mario_1_up
4. Lallmesteam
5. Lukerp
6. Paulyb18
7. Chemixtry
8. Shrub_Light
9. pinwhoo
10. wizzardz
11. pinbread
12. DARKMoon123
13. Choggard
14. wombat
15. ericthehalfb
16. jtschoen
17. Doghouse
18. TheNoTrashCougar
19. Mick-Gyver
20. Bangerjay

#2 10 years ago

This is a great idea. I am in Australia but if the shipping could be arranged somehow, I would be in.

#3 10 years ago

I'm definitely in for one

#4 10 years ago

i would take one if you make it in blue.

#6 10 years ago

I'd probably bite at the right price.

#7 10 years ago

Hey,

I'd put myself in for one at $100. Let me know how it works out for you.

Luke

#8 10 years ago

Think I have a small crack in mine, I would jump in for under 100.

Not to hijack but would love to see a vortex ramp

#9 10 years ago

I'd be in too. Also I would love to have a new vortex ramp.

#10 10 years ago

I'd be seriously interested in one.

#11 10 years ago

I'm not going to attempt the ramp. The vacu-form for the topper should be no big deal assuming I can craft one out of wood or plastic.

If somebody can give me precise dimensions of the real topper, that would get me started.

I would like measurements, and then I need someone to trace the curve of one of the entire sides onto a piece of paper and scan it for me as well.

#12 10 years ago

And as far as the ramp goes. I fixed mine with epoxy and then resprayed it red and just bought a new sticker kit which are readily available and its as good as new. I even fixed the broken part at the top thats always missing so it really traps the ball.

#13 10 years ago

I'd be interested.

#14 10 years ago

What if someone just sent you a topper?

#15 10 years ago

I'll send you a topper if you'll give me a new one when they're done.

#16 10 years ago

There that was easy.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

I'll send you a topper if you'll give me a new one when they're done.

That would be perfect. Deal. I'll PM you my address. This will be simple now! I really didn't think anyone would lend me one. EXCELLENT! There will be many happy Pinbot owners.

#18 10 years ago

Are you just making the red part or also making the clear ends?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Are you just making the red part or also making the clear ends?

Well, There are a couple of ways I could go. I could do the whole thing clear and use a red liner inside for the red, or just create the whole thing in red. I'm kind of leaning on just using red plastic for the whole thing.

#20 10 years ago

I think clear with a red liner would look best, but I'm cool with either way you do it.

#21 10 years ago

I'm in for this. Mine is presentable but cracked.

#22 10 years ago

Charliex,

I vacuum-formed one of these a couple of years back when a friend of mine was doing a Pinbot restoration. I thought you might like to take a look at what we did. Here's a link to the restoration on our Australian pinball forum. The information about how the topper was made is in Reply #11. There's a heap of photos of the restoration process so you have to scroll down quite a bit to get to it.

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=7684.msg100954#msg100954

Regards, SV.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Charliex,
I vacuum-formed one of these a couple of years back when a friend of mine was doing a Pinbot restoration. I thought you might like to take a look at what we did. Here's a link to the restoration on our Australian pinball forum. The information about how the topper was made is in Reply #11. There's a heap of photos of the restoration process so you have to scroll down quite a bit to get to it.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=7684.msg100954#msg100954
Regards, SV.

That was an amazing resto!! Wow!

#24 10 years ago

Alright, callmesteam is hooking me up with his topper for a mold. hopefully we'll have some new ones in a month or so. i think the best bet would be clear topper with spray on translucent coating for the red portion. I'll decide when I see the original.

#25 10 years ago

I'm lucky and my original topper is intact.
If it was missing or damaged, I think around $100 for a good repo would be awesome.
Good luck!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from charliex:

Alright, callmesteam is hooking me up with his topper for a mold. hopefully we'll have some new ones in a month or so. i think the best bet would be clear topper with spray on translucent coating for the red portion. I'll decide when I see the original.

OK, since mine is present but cracked, I think I'm going to bow back out of this before I'm in the final count. I was thinking it was going to be molded in red.

#27 10 years ago

To get the edge glowing, it might need to be red plastic. We will see!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

OK, since mine is present but cracked, I think I'm going to bow back out of this before I'm in the final count. I was thinking it was going to be molded in red.

Hey I'm going to do what looks best! I'll have the experts at the molding company consult me. All red could very well be the way to go. Once they are complete I'm sure it will be right. And I'm sure it won't cost much more to make 20 vs making 10 so I'll get plenty of stock. People have been looking for toppers for years.

#29 10 years ago

Actually, I think the edge is a different plastic. I need to move the game out to remove the topper. I'll try to get it tomorrow.

#30 10 years ago

I'd be interested in one at that price point.

#31 10 years ago

Has anyone contacted James at Pinball Inc to see if he has the original tooling for this part and might be able to manufacturer it?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from PaulyB18:

Think I have a small crack in mine, I would jump in for under 100.
Not to hijack but would love to see a vortex ramp

Here's your ramp sticker set.. Get out the bondo and you could be good as new..

ebay.com link: Pinbot Pinball Machine Vortex Ramp Decal Set

#33 10 years ago

Put me down for one!

#34 10 years ago

I fortunately have an original one. Glad to see someone trying to make these though. Good luck.

#35 10 years ago

I took my topper off and its actually all clear plastic, and is painted 'red' on the inside. I think the silver band decals on the ends are to cover the edges of the paint which look handpainted as they're not straight, but just a bunch of thick brush strokes. Pretty interesting.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from erok:

I fortunately have an original one. Glad to see someone trying to make these though. Good luck.

Same here, mine is good, but could use new silver mylar tape on the edges if anyone has a handy link?

Quoted from callmesteam:

Actually, I think the edge is a different plastic.

Yes the dome and base sheet are seperate parts.

Quoted from callmesteam:

I took my topper off and its actually all clear plastic, and is painted 'red' on the inside.

The dome is clear as stated and the base is colored solid

topper.jpgtopper.jpg

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

I took my topper off and its actually all clear plastic, and is painted 'red' on the inside. I think the silver band decals on the ends are to cover the edges of the paint which look handpainted as they're not straight, but just a bunch of thick brush strokes. Pretty interesting.

Funny that's what I imagined based on photo's I've seen. there is translucent paint I can use to spray it with taped off lines for the sides.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Same here, mine is good, but could use new silver mylar tape on the edges if anyone has a handy link?

Yes the dome and base sheet are seperate parts.

The dome is clear as stated and the base is colored solid

Just to be clear, I am not reproducing the bottom piece just the dome. The bottom piece I have definitely seen for sale in recent searches.

#39 10 years ago

Can someone measure the width of the silver tape? I'm going to use something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Metalized-Acrylic-Adhesive/dp/B003HKRFA8/ref=sr_1_8

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from charliex:

Can someone measure the width of the silver tape? I'm going to use something like this.

Looks to be 1 inch
try this...
http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Metalized-Acrylic-Adhesive/dp/B003HKRFB2/ref=pd_sim_indust_3

#41 10 years ago

Looks to be 1 inch
try this...
http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Metalized-Acrylic-Adhesive/dp/B003HKRFB2/ref=pd_sim_indust_3

That's what I used on mine, it is the same width as original.

Topper1.jpgTopper1.jpg

#42 10 years ago

Are you just working on the topper red plastic, or the entire assembly with the lights? Either way - count me in !!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from lmaneval:

Are you just working on the topper red plastic, or the entire assembly with the lights? Either way - count me in !!

Just the topper dome piece.

#45 10 years ago

Definitely count me in on a red topper. Mine is bad shape. I can confirm that on the original, the metal tape on the ends is exactly one inch and a translucent red paint was used on the inside. I was able to scrape off a sample to confirm.

Of additional note, if needed, the plastic thickness at the ends are about 0.10", at the stretched center area 0.046" .

---
Drats: Just ruined my 'Lurker' status.

1 week later
#46 10 years ago

Any updates?

#47 10 years ago

Well, I was able to get an original dome and the lighting assembly. Please remove me from the list.

Thanks!!!

#48 10 years ago

My fault, my original was a week late being shipped. Should arrive today.

#49 10 years ago

Here's the update. I got a quote from the vacuforming shop. These will be $27.50 each for quantity of 20 with a $150 setup fee and $300 to mill-cut them out. That's the good news. The bad news is that they want $1100 to make the mold out of aluminum with a CNC mill.

They say that a plaster mold will break so they don't recommend that I create my own mold by pouring into the old one that was lent to me.

That $1100 kills the price point.

Any suggestions?

#50 10 years ago

So, $2000-ish for 20... That's still in the $100 each ballpark. How many 'preorders' do you have? Interested parties, I mean.

There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-topper-group-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.