You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

66931C4A-80F6-4AC0-8039-7DBFB4FEDA2A (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hello Folks!

(X-posted from the Pinbot Club)

I’ve recently picked up my first machine (Pinbot!) and I’ve been trying to track down a why the top Playfield flashers are not working. Bulbs are good and replaced, sockets are good. Resistor boards all appear to be fine.

These lights are on the same switch as the ball trough feeder which works fine. However when I looked at the relay at the back right of the playfield that seems to run the feeder the solder job looks a bit brutal (top relay in picture, the one closer to the front of the playfield).

None of the other relay boards have a COIL connection, and it seems surprising to have GND and +28 connected! Perhaps this was a fix to route around a bad relay board? However I do hear the click when running the flasher test.

Might have to replace this. Could someone please snap a pic of what this should actually look like?

Thanks!

66931C4A-80F6-4AC0-8039-7DBFB4FEDA2A (resized).jpeg66931C4A-80F6-4AC0-8039-7DBFB4FEDA2A (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

Hello Folks!
I’ve recently picked up my first machine (Pinbot!) and I’ve been trying to track down a why the top Playfield flashers are not working. Bulbs are good and replaced, sockets are good. Resistor boards all appear to be fine.
These lights are on the same switch as the ball trough feeder which works fine. However when I looked at the relay at the back right of the playfield that seems to run the feeder the solder job looks a bit brutal (top relay in picture, the one closer to the front of the playfield).
None of the other relay boards have a COIL connection, and it seems surprising to have GND and +28 connected! Perhaps this was a fix to route around a bad relay board? However I do hear the click when running the flasher test.
Might have to replace this. Could someone please snap a pic of what this should actually look like?
Thanks!

Do you have a Topper on your Pinbot? Do those lights work?

#3 5 years ago

Did you put 28v bulbs in those spots? It's possible that they may be the higher voltage bulbs.
If not, and you used regular #89 bulbs. The new bulbs blew right away.

If that's ok, pull up the relay board and reflow the solider.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

Hello Folks!
Thanks!

Pinbot has some 28v flashers. If you put #89 bulbs in there. It worked for a split second but burnt them out as soon as they turned on.

The ground and 28v connected is normal.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Do you have a Topper on your Pinbot? Do those lights work?

Yes and they do, except for the ones second from the outside, I believe they are on the same circuit, “Upper P’fld & Top Flashers (2)”.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

Yes and they do, except for the ones second from the outside, I believe they are on the same circuit, “Upper P’fld & Top Flashers (2)”.

I'm having the same issue with my Pinbot where the playfield flashers, sun and energy fladhers, and those end cap flashers in the topper will only work sometimes....i have to iron out that problem. I rebuilt all my ceramic resistor boards.... still no solution.... like I said, though, sometimes they work, sometimes not.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Pinbot has some 28v flashers. If you put #89 bulbs in there. It worked for a split second but burnt them out as soon as they turned on.
The ground and 28v connected is normal.

At least according to the manual these should be #89 flashers and the bulbs all still work.
Look like the #1251 28v flashers are for the robot face and visor.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from dmcinnes:

At least according to the manual these should be #89 flashers and the bulbs all still work.
Look like the #1251 28v flashers are for the robot face and visor.

Look and reflow the traces on the back of that relay board. And that the wires have continuity to the flashers from the relay board. And the wires in the head to the relay board do as well. Hopefully that fixes it

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Look and reflow the traces on the back of that relay board. And that the wires have continuity to the flashers from the relay board. And the wires in the head to the relay board do as well. Hopefully that fixes it

Thanks for the suggestions!
I was able to get continuity between DRV and the CPU board, as well as the diode on the board and continuity between the lamp and the orange wires on COIL.

It appears at least according to this post the relay board is wired up correctly:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/60329-13-tech-under-relay-boards-multiplexing-wiring-pinbot

#10 5 years ago

FIXED!!!

C2 wire on the diode board had come off which was the black-red wire ground connection for the lights. Missed it completely. Once soldered back on they started working.

Thanks for all the help!

1 year later
#11 4 years ago

I’m having a relay problem as well. A little bit different. The flashers on the “eyeholes” one is stuck on. CPU board stuff seems ok. They all run to those bottom 2 relay boards. Diode’s test funny. Test different when the game is on versus off? Maybe they need replaced and that’s why the bulb is stuck on?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Croppie1Kenobi:

I’m having a relay problem as well. A little bit different. The flashers on the “eyeholes” one is stuck on. CPU board stuff seems ok. They all run to those bottom 2 relay boards. Diode’s test funny. Test different when the game is on versus off? Maybe they need replaced and that’s why the bulb is stuck on?

They're not LEDs are they?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They're not LEDs are they?

No. They are the standard #1251 incandescent

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-top-playfield-flashers-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.