IMG_7926.JPG
IMG_7927.JPG
IMG_7928.JPG
IMG_7924.JPG
IMG_7925.JPG
IMG_7923.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello again Pinsiders!

I'm now here trying to solve a problem with the target bank of my Pinbot which sometimes hangs and wont go fully down (or fully up). When this happens, if I took the glass off, put a finger over the bank's plastic and I can feel the vibrations of the motor that is still running. Eventually the machine will give up, and the game continues with the bank in any position. On the next action that should open (or close) the target bank, it does get in the correct position.

Today I got the courage to disassembly all the visor. Started with the helmet, then the ramp (with the two connectors under the playfield), then the visor, and also i took the opportunity to remove the plastic that's behind the visor (part of pinbot's face) for cleaning. Then I went under the playfield and removed the 4 screws that attach the motor assembly just to found that the "metal part" of the motor and the plastic part where that metal part goes in order to move the target bank was full of grease, and also found that along a lot of shitty repairs, the "Open visor switch" (white/vio cable on the switch matrix) has a diode and one of its pins was broken (probably because of the movement I did when i took it away).

I will have to clean all that grease over the moving parts and I will have to replace that diode, which it is a 1N4001 diode. Is there something else I've to check, now that i've the motor disassembled?

This is the diode:
IMG_7923.JPGIMG_7923.JPG
IMG_7928.JPGIMG_7928.JPG

The grease all over the place:
IMG_7924.JPGIMG_7924.JPG
IMG_7925.JPGIMG_7925.JPG
IMG_7927.JPGIMG_7927.JPG

The shitty repairs:
IMG_7926.JPGIMG_7926.JPG

#2 9 years ago

A slight bit of silicone grease in that area is probably ok, but I don't know why someone filled it with grease. There should be a short, plastic spacer that sits in there. The post from the cam fits in there and the spacer will move back and forth within that black oval.

Just cleaning that grease out and adding the spacer may fix your problem. There are also adjustment screws that control how far down the bank will travel.

In my case, the problem was one of the switches (the down switch) was the wrong type and needed to be replaced. It would not reliably activate.

#3 9 years ago

I had a similar problem recently and it was two fold. First the arm on my micro was broken. The pin was getting behind the switches instead of staying up front. The second issues was that the plastic tray that the targets bolt to was tightened too much.

I would check the arms on your switches and then adjust the tension on that tray.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the answers. I've been cleaning, resoldering, and put it all together, but still with no sucess, I even think that now it hangs more frequently than before. On the good side, now the visor closes nearer to the target bank (which makes it look really "closed", before it was like "is it closed?"), and also had the space to replace the four lamps under the visor.

Quoted from floyd1977:

There should be a short, plastic spacer that sits in there. The post from the cam fits in there and the spacer will move back and forth within that black oval.

I don't see anything inside the "oval":
IMG_7931.JPGIMG_7931.JPG

Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I had a similar problem recently and it was two fold. First the arm on my micro was broken. The pin was getting behind the switches instead of staying up front. The second issues was that the plastic tray that the targets bolt to was tightened too much.
I would check the arms on your switches and then adjust the tension on that tray.

The next thing i'm going to do is to test the moving parts separately to see if there goes anything wrong and start discarding things.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Zonda716:

Thanks for the answers. I've been cleaning, resoldering, and put it all together, but still with no sucess, I even think that now it hangs more frequently than before. On the good side, now the visor closes nearer to the target bank (which makes it look really "closed", before it was like "is it closed?"), and also had the space to replace the four lamps under the visor.

I don't see anything inside the "oval":

The next thing i'm going to do is to test the moving parts separately to see if there goes anything wrong and start discarding things.

IMG_7931.JPG 284 KB

It would just be a loose spacer. I am not surprised it's not there with all that grease. This is what I am referring to:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-moving-target-missing-part-nfi

#6 9 years ago

I had same issue and never found the small spacer. I ended up cutting end off a flipper bushing and seems to work good.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

It would just be a loose spacer. I am not surprised it's not there with all that grease. This is what I am referring to:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-moving-target-missing-part-nfi

Quoted from Greg2608:

I had same issue and never found the small spacer. I ended up cutting end off a flipper bushing and seems to work good.

Isn't that the "bronze colored" (because of the grease) piece that's around the motor pin (i don't know if that's its name) in the photo of my last message?

So, there's a piece of plastic that goes in that "thingy that comes from the motor" a.k.a. the post and fits int the "oval" in the bank target plastic, that makes it fit correctly without any type of play?

Post edited by Zonda716: LOL it was a post

#8 9 years ago

pic of part in my thread... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mystery-part

I had the opposite prob -- found on floor and didn't know what it was.

Dan

#9 9 years ago

One of the things I did was to turn the motor on while it was removed from the assembly. This allowed me to see the broken armature and the path of the motor. Instead of doing a left to right swipe it was rotating a full 360.

I will try and take some pics/vid of mine today. I have the target assembly removed so it can be scanned, but it will at least give you an idea of how the motor should move.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

pic of part in my thread... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mystery-part
I had the opposite prob -- found on floor and didn't know what it was.
Dan

I should re-check the motor again, i'm pretty sure it doesnt has it.

Quoted from nerdygrrl:

One of the things I did was to turn the motor on while it was removed from the assembly. This allowed me to see the broken armature and the path of the motor. Instead of doing a left to right swipe it was rotating a full 360.
I will try and take some pics/vid of mine today. I have the target assembly removed so it can be scanned, but it will at least give you an idea of how the motor should move.

Please, I would really appreciate that, since I was going to see how does the motor works. It's supposed to spin to one of the switches (i.e. "open") and then spin in the opposite to the "closed" ?

In addition to that, i've replaced the bushing with another "tube" I found that has the same inner diameter but a greater outer diameter (still it's not the correct size, it should be bigger, but with trying I don't lose anything) and this is what happens:

1) It hangs even more, but now the motor does a differnet vibration (i don't know exactly how to explain).
2) The targets now stay in a higher position when it goes fully closed.

Aside from that, i'll like to know, since I didn't found it in the manual, if anybody knows which type of lamps go in the 4 holders that are behind the visor. I've replaced them with #89 12v 15w (the ones that I took off that were burnt, were 12v 5w) I know they are 3 times more powerful but these were the only I could find around here, but they burnt within 1 day of working (not exactly one day, because the machine is only turned on when someone is going to play)

#11 9 years ago

I went to shoot a video only to realize mine is still not working right. My "closed" switch is still not registering.

#12 9 years ago

I just uploaded this:

The motor should always rotate in the same direction. Also, it looks like someone may have modified the pin on your cam, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking rather than use the white spacer, they made the pin wider and put a whole lot of grease in the slot.

#13 9 years ago

The video is set to private.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

The video is set to private.

Ugh, thanks. Let me see if I can fix that. First time uploading to YouTube.

#15 9 years ago

Ok, I see the preview in this thread, so it should be available now. Thanks.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I just uploaded this:
» YouTube video
The motor should always rotate in the same direction. Also, it looks like someone may have modified the pin on your cam, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking rather than use the white spacer, they made the pin wider and put a whole lot of grease in the slot.

Thanks, a lot!!! I'll check it tomorrow. The only difference I can detect it's without taking a look is that the motor on mine does a lot of noise, i'm pretty sure it makes a lot more of noise that yours. It can be heard when the machine is in attract mode and the visor opens/closes. Gonna make a video tomorrow so we can compare.

Thanks, again!!!

#17 9 years ago

Thanks so much for the vid. As a first time Pin*Bot owner I was kind of flying blind on how to fix mine/what it was supposed to run like.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I just uploaded this:
» YouTube video

So, it definetly does a hell lot of noise in comparison to yours:

Something i've found is that when the spinning part finds an "obstacle", the motor "frees", keeps spinning and the pin part doesnt spins. A simply "restart" of the motor fixes the problem and spins correctly. I'm suspecting this is what makes the target bank "hang" but if that's the case, what could probably block the target bank from moving correcly? I just don't want to replace the motor (someone on one of the groups i'm of argentinian pinball clubs told me it could be the motor itself and its gears). It gives me nightmares thinking of it... :-S

Also something i've found in the last time i've put everything in place is that the target bank doesnt go all the way down, it keps in one of its sides one or two milimeters higher:

#19 9 years ago

It looks like yours is rotating the opposite direction?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I didn't realize that... Maybe it has been connected the wrong way? The thing is: would it make any difference?

Other thing that i'm suspecting is that the "rails" where the target bank go, maybe, they need some adjustment. Maybe its loose, and considering that the motor may be weak by some reason (for what I say that it keeps spining but not the other part), the target bank could probably lean to one of the sides, making it harder for the motor to push and then making it hang because of that.

Edit#1:

Re checked the motor, and I found an interesting thing:

When it does hangs, if I press it a little with my finger, it does start to work properly.

I've made a video about that, because is better to see it. I'm uploading it now. Also you can see that the motor cables are indeed repaired.

Edit#2:

Here is it:

Sorry for the camera position, I was holding it with one hand, with my eyes on the visor, and with the other hand trying to push the target bank.

0:00 to 0:30 you can see the motor spinning "freely" (counter-clockwise). Then I press it a little with my finger and it starts spining and moving the target bank (clockwise). And then when I do press the target bank when it hangs, I do that because sometimes it does the same as if I press the motor itself.
Now I'm really thinking there's something messed up in the motor itself.

#21 9 years ago

Bump

1 week later
#22 9 years ago

Anything?

1 month later
#23 9 years ago

Nothing?

Quoted from floyd1977:

I was thinking about this... There are two cables going to the motor. Maybe they are connected the wrong way and that has something to do?

I'm pretty sure the motor itself it's not the issue since sometimes the target bank open/closes correctly, without jamming (or locking) in the incorrect position.

1 month later
#24 8 years ago

Up! Still hasn't fixed this. I don't really know how to continue with this, what should I check or do. Any more help will be appreciated!

4 months later
#25 8 years ago

Solved!

The problem was indeed the motor. Got a replacement one from a DE Batman, and it solved ALL the issues I was having. Now I can enjoy my Pinbot as it was meant to, and maybe later start with an entire restoration of the PF, new plastics, maybe new displays (I love XPin red/blue special ones) and perhaps some LEDs here and there.

Thanks to all who contributed to my post!!!

1 week later
#26 8 years ago

Congrats man!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-target-bank-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.