• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181124_134455 (resized).jpg
20181123_153154 (resized).jpg
20181124_134427 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcangeloel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

Hello. I am new to Pinside. I have a 1986 Williams Pinbot pinball machine that was working perfectly. Walked into the room the other day and everything was out except for a few lights on the table and backboard. I traced those lights to a connection off the power board. I checked, replaced and rechecked all the fuses and they were fine. I did not see or smell any electrical burn. Unless I'm missing a fuse somewhere I am at a loss what happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I live in an area where there are no pinball repair people. Thanks in advance.

When checking those fuses did you do so with a dmm in continuity mode? Sadly sometimes a visual inspection is not enough.

Also remove the back glass and turn the game on. Three leds in the mpu should do something. I think the 5v one should be lit at a minimum indicating the mpu is getting the 5v it needs.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

thanks for replying. All 11 fuses were replaced with new ones. Plus the main fuse under the table. It completely shut down except for the aux plug under the table and one plug off the power supply board that services some lights. If I unplug that connection then the whole game is dead except the aux plug. MPU is completely shut down as is the sound board. Just plain weird, everything was working great up until that point. Can the power supply board just go out like that?

So even if they were replaced the next time you flipped the power on to the game they could have blown. On the power supply board check each of those fuses for continuity with the game off. Tell us if any are blown. I suspect F1 or F2 is blown as the mpu isn't booting. GI and the service outlet run though different fuses so they will still work. If all the fuses end up being good then we will need to check the voltages coming off that board as something about it is preventing the game from booting.

My guess is something on that power supply board has died but who knows.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

the only power I am getting after the service plug lights up the coin slots and some table lights and backboard lights. That connection is on the far bottom right on the power supply board. unplug that and power stops at the service plug. where is the molex plug located?

On the transformer should be a clear white block

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

Found it. Everything seems nice and tight. I moved around wires but still nothing. I'm leaning towards a power board problem, as it was working when I left the room (I told the ghosts to stay away from it) and when I returned it was out. I will check continuity and get back with a result. Thanks again for anyones help. I have had the game for many years and this is the first problem I have had. This is one of the great ones and I really would like to see it working again.

We'll get ya back up and running good info so far!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

I am not comfortable doing the caps myself. I can remove the power supply board and reinstall it, but thats where it ends. I will pay anyone who is knowledgeable enough to do it for me. Still want to be 100% sure its a cap problem, but it sure points to that. I'm sure they are original.

I'd say replace that board if the cost isn't too bad for ya. $89? If memory serves I've bought two and having stable power is a huge help when doing diagnostics. Especially if the fuses keep blowing each time you replace those two fuses. I can't remember if either of the bridge rectifiers connect to those fuses but I doubt it.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

replaced fuses F5 and F6 now have continuity but still n change

When you powered it back on did any of the leds on the power board come on? If not your not getting the 5v to your mpu. I'd turn on the power once, see if any change and then check all the fuses for continuity as different ones may have blown. If all are still good then we need to start taking readings at the test points on the power supply board and see what values are being returned.

2 weeks later
#25 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Could you post a whole pic of each board, old one and new one? Based on the CN nomenclature for the connectors of the new board, i think you may have a Data East power supply board there. (Though I may be wrong about that, perhaps it's an aftermarket board?) If it is a data east board, I don't think they can be used with your game, but i don't know enough to be 100% sure about that.
Either way i wouldn't recommend turning the game on until you are certain the board is compatible with your game and figure out the wiring issue. Something definitely doesn't seem to be adding up...

It looks like a DE Board to me as well but I have know idea if they are interchangeable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcangeloel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-startup-issue?tu=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.