Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Dee-Bow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 days ago

Hello. I am new to Pinside. I have a 1986 Williams Pinbot pinball machine that was working perfectly. Walked into the room the other day and everything was out except for a few lights on the table and backboard. I traced those lights to a connection off the power board. I checked, replaced and rechecked all the fuses and they were fine. I did not see or smell any electrical burn. Unless I'm missing a fuse somewhere I am at a loss what happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I live in an area where there are no pinball repair people. Thanks in advance.

#2 12 days ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

Hello. I am new to Pinside. I have a 1986 Williams Pinbot pinball machine that was working perfectly. Walked into the room the other day and everything was out except for a few lights on the table and backboard. I traced those lights to a connection off the power board. I checked, replaced and rechecked all the fuses and they were fine. I did not see or smell any electrical burn. Unless I'm missing a fuse somewhere I am at a loss what happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I live in an area where there are no pinball repair people. Thanks in advance.

When checking those fuses did you do so with a dmm in continuity mode? Sadly sometimes a visual inspection is not enough.

Also remove the back glass and turn the game on. Three leds in the mpu should do something. I think the 5v one should be lit at a minimum indicating the mpu is getting the 5v it needs.

#3 11 days ago

thanks for replying. All 11 fuses were replaced with new ones. Plus the main fuse under the table. It completely shut down except for the aux plug under the table and one plug off the power supply board that services some lights. If I unplug that connection then the whole game is dead except the aux plug. MPU is completely shut down as is the sound board. Just plain weird, everything was working great up until that point. Can the power supply board just go out like that?

#4 11 days ago

one time on my pinbot a wire got loose on the molex plug right before the transformer in the bottom of the cab and it was a pain in the ass for me to figure out the issue. I re-seated those wires in the plug and have been good to go every since. Might me something silly like that?

do you have a multimeter to see if you are getting voltage anywhere after the service outlet?

#5 11 days ago

the only power I am getting after the service plug lights up the coin slots and some table lights and backboard lights. That connection is on the far bottom right on the power supply board. unplug that and power stops at the service plug. where is the molex plug located?

#6 11 days ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

thanks for replying. All 11 fuses were replaced with new ones. Plus the main fuse under the table. It completely shut down except for the aux plug under the table and one plug off the power supply board that services some lights. If I unplug that connection then the whole game is dead except the aux plug. MPU is completely shut down as is the sound board. Just plain weird, everything was working great up until that point. Can the power supply board just go out like that?

So even if they were replaced the next time you flipped the power on to the game they could have blown. On the power supply board check each of those fuses for continuity with the game off. Tell us if any are blown. I suspect F1 or F2 is blown as the mpu isn't booting. GI and the service outlet run though different fuses so they will still work. If all the fuses end up being good then we will need to check the voltages coming off that board as something about it is preventing the game from booting.

My guess is something on that power supply board has died but who knows.

#7 11 days ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

the only power I am getting after the service plug lights up the coin slots and some table lights and backboard lights. That connection is on the far bottom right on the power supply board. unplug that and power stops at the service plug. where is the molex plug located?

On the transformer should be a clear white block

#8 11 days ago

Found it. Everything seems nice and tight. I moved around wires but still nothing. I'm leaning towards a power board problem, as it was working when I left the room (I told the ghosts to stay away from it) and when I returned it was out. I will check continuity and get back with a result. Thanks again for anyones help. I have had the game for many years and this is the first problem I have had. This is one of the great ones and I really would like to see it working again.

#9 11 days ago

Please provide pictures of the power supply board and its connectors, along with pictures of the SDB and MPU. Different eyes may/will catch different things to check.

#10 11 days ago

Do you have a dmm? If so, see if there is 5v coming out of the power supply. It'll be connector 3j6 on the ps. Black meter wire on ground (black wires on that connector) red meter wire to the grey wires. If no 5v, you have no logic power, and the main computer won't boot. Most of them I get through are bad caps. Common issue on the old power supplies. Good luck!

#11 11 days ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

Found it. Everything seems nice and tight. I moved around wires but still nothing. I'm leaning towards a power board problem, as it was working when I left the room (I told the ghosts to stay away from it) and when I returned it was out. I will check continuity and get back with a result. Thanks again for anyones help. I have had the game for many years and this is the first problem I have had. This is one of the great ones and I really would like to see it working again.

We'll get ya back up and running good info so far!

#12 11 days ago

thanks guys. I'll get back when I have the pictures and testing done.

#13 10 days ago

Getting closer. continuity test shows no power going thru fuses F5 and F6. the logic supply. The other 9 fuses check fine for continuity. Blown Cap(s)? Will upload some pic's this afternoon.

#14 10 days ago

If you have the means and knowledge, i would put a cap kit in it. They should be replaced after 30 years anyhow. It's likely a bad cap, which is not uncommon.

#15 10 days ago

I am not comfortable doing the caps myself. I can remove the power supply board and reinstall it, but thats where it ends. I will pay anyone who is knowledgeable enough to do it for me. Still want to be 100% sure its a cap problem, but it sure points to that. I'm sure they are original.

#16 10 days ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

I am not comfortable doing the caps myself. I can remove the power supply board and reinstall it, but thats where it ends. I will pay anyone who is knowledgeable enough to do it for me. Still want to be 100% sure its a cap problem, but it sure points to that. I'm sure they are original.

I'd say replace that board if the cost isn't too bad for ya. $89? If memory serves I've bought two and having stable power is a huge help when doing diagnostics. Especially if the fuses keep blowing each time you replace those two fuses. I can't remember if either of the bridge rectifiers connect to those fuses but I doubt it.

#17 10 days ago

replaced fuses F5 and F6 now have continuity but still n change

#18 10 days ago
Quoted from zapfranka:

replaced fuses F5 and F6 now have continuity but still n change

When you powered it back on did any of the leds on the power board come on? If not your not getting the 5v to your mpu. I'd turn on the power once, see if any change and then check all the fuses for continuity as different ones may have blown. If all are still good then we need to start taking readings at the test points on the power supply board and see what values are being returned.

#19 10 days ago

no nothing, but at least the fuses didn't blow. looking at a new used power supply board. 520-5047-00 will that work in my pinbot?

#20 9 days ago

Yes that will work fine.

#21 9 days ago

As will this of you decide to go new

http://rottendog.us/DPS004.html

#22 9 days ago

Love these threads on pinside!...just sayin!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hamilton, ON
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 16.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside