(Topic ID: 180527)

Pinbot Stainless Steel Speaker Panel - 3/1/17 update: FINISHED!

By goingincirclez

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xenon75
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which speaker panel do you like best? (~$150)”

• "1986 Playfield base" 0 votes
  • "Taxi cameo base" 6 votes
    43%
  • "Pantsless BOP base" 3 votes
    21%
  • Feh, I ain't spendin' to cover the original black fabric 5 votes
    36%

(14 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170301_113929 (resized).jpg
20170301_113919 (resized).jpg
PanelCenter (resized).jpg
PinbotPanelSample (resized).jpg
PB_panel_color (resized).png
PB_panel_skirt2_color (resized).png
PB_panel_skirt2_black (resized).png
Pinbot Cabinet Front (resized).png
PB_BOPmini (resized).jpg
RocketBase (resized).jpg
PB_Taxi (resized).jpg
Pinbot_panel_skirt2 (resized).png
PB_panel_skirt (resized).png
ShuttlePanel (resized).jpg
PB_panel_plug (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

In 2014 as I was restoring my first pin - a project Space Shuttle - I came up with an idea to dress up the plain blank fabric speaker panel used on most mid-80's Williams games, and give it an updated look more in common with the rest of System 11. I basically drew some art that tied into the theme and then had it laser-cut from 18ga. stainless steel to match the other game trim:

ShuttlePanel (resized).jpgShuttlePanel (resized).jpg

I sold a few of those in 2015, limited to the material stock I had to buy and the number of panels it fit in addition to mine.

So now I've got a Pinbot which uses the same plain OEM speaker panel. Coming up with art is more of a challenge, since the character himself seems to "rise" out of it: what would the rest of him look like down there? Python dropped a few clues, and the first is right there on the Pinbot playfield in his rocket base and "feet":

RocketBase (resized).jpgRocketBase (resized).jpg

Interestingly, Python simplifies this for Pinbot's cameo on the Taxi pf...

PB_Taxi (resized).jpgPB_Taxi (resized).jpg

...and later still, in Bride of Pinbot, we have a pantsless PinBot jonesing to "plug in" to his other half:

PB_BOPmini (resized).jpgPB_BOPmini (resized).jpg

So with that source material in mind, I roughed out a few concepts this afternoon.

First, the "1986 Playfield base":

PB_panel_skirt (resized).pngPB_panel_skirt (resized).png

Second, the "Taxi Cameo" base:

Pinbot_panel_skirt2 (resized).pngPinbot_panel_skirt2 (resized).png

Finally, the "Pantsless" base. This was a challenge to try and scale properly without leaving too much empty space; I put some simple quasar shapes in the background as you can see:

PB_panel_plug (resized).pngPB_panel_plug (resized).png

All are still rough concepts: before any can be cut, I need to properly design the stenciling marks and such, tidy up a few perspective lines and other details, etc. But hopefully you get the idea.

I was shocked at how much the stock and cutting cost for the Space Shuttle panels, so I had to sell those at about $140 to make it worth my time, let alone eke a small profit. So ~$150 is the ballpark figure for now.

So with that said... any takers for these? Please note I am NOT taking orders or making any promises yet... just gauging interest for how much additional effort I should put into any of them. If there's a market for folks other than myself I'll proceed accordingly. So I welcome your feedback, and if you have a preference please answer the poll. Thanks!

~~~~~

EDIT: Came up with a better 4th revision, see the post below, here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-stainless-steel-speaker-panel-concepts-interest#post-3586401

#2 7 years ago

Probably shouldn't have posted this during mega sportsball holiday bump

#3 7 years ago

i like the middle one

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i like the middle one

ditto

#5 7 years ago

Yip.
I'd be down.
The top 2 in particular.
But all 3 are cool...

#6 7 years ago

Now that I read the plug into bride.. all 3 are = cool to me...

#7 7 years ago

Middle one

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

In 2014 as I was restoring my first pin - a project Space Shuttle - I came up with an idea to dress up the plain blank fabric speaker panel used on most mid-80's Williams games, and give it an updated look more in common with the rest of System 11. I basically drew some art that tied into the theme and then had it laser-cut from 18ga. stainless steel to match the other game trim:

I sold a few of those in 2015, limited to the material stock I had to buy and the number of panels it fit in addition to mine.
So now I've got a Pinbot which uses the same plain OEM speaker panel. Coming up with art is more of a challenge, since the character himself seems to "rise" out of it: what would the rest of him look like down there? Python dropped a few clues, and the first is right there on the Pinbot playfield in his rocket base and "feet":

Interestingly, Python simplifies this for Pinbot's cameo on the Taxi pf...

...and later still, in Bride of Pinbot, we have a pantsless PinBot jonesing to "plug in" to his other half:

So with that source material in mind, I roughed out a few concepts this afternoon.
First, the "1986 Playfield base":

Second, the "Taxi Cameo" base:

Finally, the "Pantsless" base. This was a challenge to try and scale properly without leaving too much empty space; I put some simple quasar shapes in the background as you can see:

All are still rough concepts: before any can be cut, I need to properly design the stenciling marks and such, tidy up a few perspective lines and other details, etc. But hopefully you get the idea.
I was shocked at how much the stock and cutting cost for the Space Shuttle panels, so I had to sell those at about $140 to make it worth my time, let alone eke a small profit. So ~$150 is the ballpark figure for now.
So with that said... any takers for these? Please note I am NOT taking orders or making any promises yet... just gauging interest for how much additional effort I should put into any of them. If there's a market for folks other than myself I'll proceed accordingly. So I welcome your feedback, and if you have a preference please answer the poll. Thanks!

Would the NASA plate fit my Space Station?

#9 7 years ago

I would take one for sure

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Would the NASA plate fit my Space Station?

Not really, as Space Station's score displays would be obscured. The only games these panels make sense for are Space Shuttle, PinBot, and other mid-80's Williams games that have nothing in that location except speakers.

#11 7 years ago

Bump for the evening crowd....

The Taxi version seems to be the clear favorite. Funny since that was the last one I made...

#12 7 years ago

Middle one is also my favorite, but probably will not buy due to the cost. Wondering what would be the cost for the next thinner stock?

#13 7 years ago

The one you made looks great and fits Space Shuttle very well. For Pinbot not so much.

#14 7 years ago

Not really, as Space Station's score displays would be obscured. The only games these panels make sense for are Space Shuttle, PinBot, and other mid-80's Williams games that have nothing in that location except speakers.

Thanks, looks great on Space Shuttle...

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The one you made looks great and fits Space Shuttle very well. For Pinbot not so much.

I agree it doesn't seem as well-integrated thematically, but it's a start. Part of the problem is that "text" works very well, but what would you say for Pin-Bot? The PinBot logotype is classic, but having that on the panel would simply be redundant. For Space Shuttle the NASA logo was too obvious but it's different and really helps sell the theme. Pin-Bot is far more abstract, and Python's art is untouchable in conveying the image. So it is a challenge.

But this post was productive because as it happens, #2 was my personal favorite and seems to be the consensus so far. So I'll try to refine and see what comes out of it.

I actually had another idea because there is so much black in the bg art: maybe having a "negative" panel with more open space would be better. Reveal more of the original black speaker panel to integrate to the bg art above.... give the stainless elements more dynamic contrast and life versus simple line art...

I'd really love to find a way to get these down to about $100 or so. That would be a much more reasonable deal IMO.

#16 7 years ago

I'd be interested. Looks great on Space Shuttle.

#17 7 years ago

maybe having a "negative" panel with more open space would be better

I was thinking this last night. Also the speaker holes should have 1/16 holes in the metal around the Williams logo. And maybe different colored plastic pieces behind to let some color thru.

#18 7 years ago

Maybe integrate the graphics from the front of the cabinet?

Pinbot Cabinet Front (resized).pngPinbot Cabinet Front (resized).png

#20 7 years ago

Watching this thread

#21 7 years ago

Cleaned up the details on the "Taxi" variant and not only that, but oh yeah, black was DEFINITELY the way to go. I like this one! What say the rest of you?

PB_panel_skirt2_black (resized).pngPB_panel_skirt2_black (resized).png

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Also the speaker holes should have 1/16 holes in the metal around the Williams logo. And maybe different colored plastic pieces behind to let some color thru.

The option I posted above would easily allow a colored insert for each "W" and its surrounding ring. Probably one blue and one red, naturally

They wouldn't be lit unless an individual owner wants to pursue the more extensive panel modification (moving speakers, drilling holes, mounting bulbs, etc) to allow that. But even unlit, it would look really cool!

PB_panel_skirt2_color (resized).pngPB_panel_skirt2_color (resized).png

#23 7 years ago

Looking better, but I still think it needs some color. The 5 rectangles could light up with 5 lights above the displays.

#24 7 years ago

Oh yea that would be easy to light up.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The 5 rectangles could light up with 5 lights above the displays.

You mean the slots in the base? See my comments about modifying the panel... probably not something for everyone but dang, I like how you think... imagining that animated by tying to the same flashers in the backbox, wow that would look awesome.

And kind of like a Simon

PB_panel_color (resized).pngPB_panel_color (resized).png

#26 7 years ago

I really like that last one with the colors on the base. Is that a possibility?

#27 7 years ago

I like how you think...

That's what I'm talking about.

#28 7 years ago

Looks pretty cool in black, would look even better all lit up for sure.

#29 7 years ago

The black with the R/B Williams logo is awesome. Lit up or colored base even more so. Sign me up either way. Well done.

#30 7 years ago

I'm soliciting quotes for cutting from local fab shops. The first one back was not encouraging for lowering the price below that ~$150 threshold, but there may have been a misunderstanding re: quantity breaks. Typically the cost is in setup and machine time, so making one panel is relatively expensive... but it's only a few minutes to run additional panels to use up the stock sheet so the per-unit cost can drop significantly. At least that's how it was when I ran the SS ones a couple years ago.

So hopefully that will be clarified, and/or the other shop quotes will be more favorable.

1 week later
#31 7 years ago

Get a couple more local quotes and.... they're not in any way more favorable. So that ~$140 - 150 still appears to be where I'll have to be at resale. Sigh! At least I tried! Even at that price I'd have to sell a bunch to get another Sys11-level pin, so it's not like I'm making a killing.

In fact, to my own interests I might be slightly better off going with the distant shop I used last time, owing to connections and goodwill... but it would be on their timetable which is not necessarily "quick". But I already know the work is proven and quality.

In any case, the best pricing comes with quantity breakouts of about 10-12 pieces. So I would need that much confirmed interest to pursue a batch order. But the up-font cost is more than I can afford to swallow so this would have to follow a deposit model. That is how I got the NASA panels done in 2015, and there's a dozen satisfied Pinsiders who can vouch for me. In fact one of those machines just cane up for sale and nabbed a really nice premium, I'm proud to say

I'm not saying it's officially time to place orders yet. But I *AM* asking that if you have a Fry-like, "shut up and take my money" level of interest in these, let me know so that I can properly gauge if this is worth pursuing to that level.

I realize having the finished product to show would help, and I'm working on that. Ironically there was one shop that quoted a palatable price for a one-off, whereas most wanted over $200 (and in one case over $300!) for one-offs. Machine shops are busy places! Which is a good thing

1 week later
#32 7 years ago

Just got a photo from a machine shop:

PinbotPanelSample (resized).jpgPinbotPanelSample (resized).jpg

The scorching on the edges looks like normal char on the PVC coating to be removed (I saw this on my Space Shuttle NASA panels).

Hoping to pick it up tomorrow, and have on display at Louisville Expo this weekend if all goes well...!

#33 7 years ago

Just a thought, but have you tried to find a makerspace that is reasonably close to you? Here is one that has a laser cutter, but doesn't have a list of "intro to..." types of classes. You might be able to knock out this project pretty easily if you have the time to.

http://www.lvl1.org/about-the-space/

#34 7 years ago

Sample cleaned up and installed. I'll need to make a small alignment adjustment for any future runs (centering is key, I didn't take all pics with it properly aligned), but I have to say it looks great!

Will try and mock a color insert before I break it down for Expo.

20170301_113929 (resized).jpg20170301_113929 (resized).jpg

20170301_113919 (resized).jpg20170301_113919 (resized).jpg

PanelCenter (resized).jpgPanelCenter (resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

I don't think he is Jonesin to plug into his other half, I think he is Jonesin to plug into his better half.

At any rate, these are great looking.

1 month later
#36 7 years ago

PM sent, but not replied to...?

Can I still get on on your Pinbot speaker panel run?

#37 7 years ago

Woops sorry about that! Responded this AM.

Trying to get better pricing but not holding my breath. Also will have to see if the alleged interest in a Space Shuttle re-run can support some PinBots to that order.

1 month later
#38 6 years ago

I'm interested in the pinbot panel as well please!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-stainless-steel-speaker-panel-concepts-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.