By Jimmyhonda

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello,
I just switched out my old mpu board with a new rottendog board in my Pinbot. The Pinbot speech is horrible. The speech was fine with my old mpu board. Any clue on how I can fix the speech issue? Thank you

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hello,
I just switched out my old mpu board with a new rottendog board in my Pinbot. The Pinbot speech is horrible. The speech was fine with my old mpu board. Any clue on how I can fix the speech issue? Thank you

Put your old mpu board back in?

#3 6 years ago

seen the same thing happen with bk2k. no fix. the only thing to do is find an original working board.

#4 6 years ago

Now that I think about it it may be that DAC chip is the issue. Probably no longer available. If you take the DAC chip from your original board and put it in the rotten dog, it may clear up this problem

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Clay!

#6 6 years ago

The Dac chip is u3, which is in the upper left-hand corner of the original board. It may not be socketed though. Might have to desolder it. But don’t damage that chip. They are just not available. Maybe the replacement that rotten dog is using is inferior to the original

#7 6 years ago

Okay, Rottendog are sending me a chip for U36? They said this will solve the problem? Thanks Clay. If that doesn’t work, I may have you come out to move the Dac chip for me.

#8 6 years ago

This also might be relevent to your problem. My transporter speech sounded awful, loud, scratchy, could almost hear a heartbeat through the speakers. Is that what you are experiencing? The following link might be of use to you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-sound-fix-w-rottendog-11a-mpu

#9 6 years ago

This just seems to be a Rottendog board issue on some Sys 11 games. As my F-14 did the exact same thing, at low volumes it wasn't so bad but if you turn it up, the voices and certain sounds handled by the Rottendog are sooo much louder than the music and sound so distorted it was terrible. Not to mention, there's no bass and the sound is just flat. After repairing the original board it's like night and day, so much better sounds and voices are lower than the music and clear, as they should be. So now I have a very expensive backup if something happens to the original board again.

#10 6 years ago

In summary of the other thread. The little daughter board on the mpu for the speech sounds has a resistor that is too low and sends too much power to the sound board. So when the two different sound sources are mixed, the mpu sounds are way over powered. There are quite a few fixes that have been come up with on the other thread.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

In summary of the other thread. The little daughter board on the mpu for the speech sounds has a resistor that is too low and sends too much power to the sound board. So when the two different sound sources are mixed, the mpu sounds are way over powered. There are quite a few fixes that have been come up with on the other thread.

Sounds like a thread is needed to cover all the fixes for the Rottendog MPU.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-speech-issue-with-rottendog-mpu-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.