Pinbot sound issues

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My Pin*bot has developed some minor sound issues. I recently changed the batteries and went out the other night to really light up the top scores when I found that it was making an annoying humming sound and the speech was really scratchy. It seems like the hum coincides with the lights in attract mode.

I have searched the forum and found a couple posts about system 11's and ground issues. I checked all of the grounds, tried floating the sound board, even unhooked the ribbon cable and the hum remains.

I read somewhere that maybe the C8 cap on the power board could be the culprit.

Has anyone else had this issue that could help me out? If I need to buy that cap should I just rebuild the whole power board? Thanks for any help

#2 9 years ago

Don't know if rebuilding the power board would help as I just installed a brand new power supply board from pinballpcb and I still have a hum. Could it be an issue with your speech/sound board? In my experience there always seems to be an annoying hum with these older pins.

#3 9 years ago

I unhooked the ribbon cable from the MPU and it still hummed. It just bugs me that it played crystal clear for years up until two days ago. I know a lot of people just live with the hum but I know it can sound so much better.

3 weeks later
#4 9 years ago

Outside of the hum, the sound is rather distorted now as well. Anyone have any ideas on the distorted sound issue?

#7 9 years ago

LIONMAN

#9 9 years ago

I dealt with a bad amp in a Big Guns that made static recently. Is it ground hum or just other staticy yuck noise.

#10 9 years ago

Sorry for the delay. I am school teacher and unfortunately my summer is now over I had to go to work.

I talked with a guy I know who ran a bunch of these system 11s on a route. He had a Pinbot and said that he thought it was a Cap on the power board.

I ordered a power supply cap kit from great plains electronics it just hasn't come in yet. It usually takes him a little bit to get something bundled and shipped out. I should have it by the weekend and I will post if it fixes the problem or not.

#11 9 years ago

Sounds good. Were you able to test the voltages on the board?

Thanks,
--Scott

#12 9 years ago

I haven't been able to yet. I am going to try and get out there tonight and play with it a little. Any specific spots I should be looking for voltage drops?

#13 9 years ago

I would check all the voltages on the power supply. Your friend that recommended yo change the capacitors on the PS is probably on the right track. Let me know if you have questions and I can compare on my Pinbot if needed.

#14 9 years ago

Alright thanks. I will probably head out there after church and check them. Thanks

#15 9 years ago

Alright. I have installed all the new caps on the power supply board.

I have also tested all voltages at the test points on the power supply board and they are normal.

However, I still have the horrible hum and the distorted speech

#16 9 years ago

distorted speech and music that is

#17 9 years ago

Probably a dumb question but when you checked the grounds did you check that all the mounting screws on the mpu board were present and tight? My system 9 hummed horribly until I replaced 2 missing screws and made sure they were snug.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Probably a dumb question but when you checked the grounds did you check that all the mounting screws on the mpu board were present and tight? My system 9 hummed horribly until I replaced 2 missing screws and made sure they were snug.

I checked them all at one point there. I found one missing one the sound board but it didn't help.

#19 9 years ago

I have noticed that the second LED on the MPU that says diagnostics is blinking continuously. What would cause that.

Also the game used to run through a series of coil knocks when the game was powered up. It doesn't do that anymore either.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I have noticed that the second LED on the MPU that says diagnostics is blinking continuously. What would cause that.

This is normal. The diagnostics LED should be blinking continuously. If it's locked on solid or off, that would be a problem.

Also the game used to run through a series of coil knocks when the game was powered up. It doesn't do that anymore either.

Also usually a normal indication. If it's sequential, and operating various kickout holes, the game is attempting to remove balls for initialization. Sometimes a bad switch or missing ball can cause this process to repeat several times. If a coils gets locked on and stay on, and that's totally different - usually resulting in burned coils and/or transistors.

#21 9 years ago

distorted speech and music that is

This might be approaching a more advanced skill set in troubleshooting, and often requiring an oscilloscope to track down where the distortion is coming from.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

This might be approaching a more advanced skill set in troubleshooting, and often requiring an oscilloscope to track down where the distortion is coming from.

Agreed. I know a buddy of mine is having the same issue with his F-14. I believe this is the same sound board.

I will reach out to him to see if he solved this.

#23 9 years ago

Thank you guys so much. I appreciate all the help.

#24 9 years ago

F-14's issue is a design/programming error in the music section. All f14s are affected, and it cannot be fixed without reprogramming the sound board.

This guy's problem is unrelated.

Since he's getting distortion in both music and speech, fault has to be after they've gone through the mixing section. That eliminates a lot. Most often bad actor is the volume pot (and especially the wiring to/from it), then u1 (tda2002 if memory serves) and the circuitry around it (caps). Outside chance that it's the 1451 right in the mixing section, but those rarely go bad compared to u1.

Scope would show distortion. If I had to go in blind I'd go at the volume pot, idc connector, and its wire. SO many problems there, and easy and cheap to swap if need be.

#25 9 years ago

Here is a video I just recorded of the hum and speech. Nevermind the crappy footage I was just trying to get the sound in there

#26 9 years ago

No change in recommendations.

#27 9 years ago

I completely unhooked the volume pot from the board and it still makes the hum. I am going to get one today anyways and see what happens.

#28 9 years ago

Pot has been replacedand nothing changed.

Got any good recommendations on where to buy that u1 chip.

Quoted from TheKorn:

No change in recommendations.

#29 9 years ago

I reflowed all the pins, caps, and the U1 on the sound board. The hum is still present bit not as bad. The speech and music are no longer distorted. I am going to recap the sound board and replace that u1 and hope for the best. At least caps an ICs arent expensive.

#30 9 years ago

Interesting that re-flowing all the pins made a big difference here. Were there any with noticeable cold solder joints?

#31 9 years ago

A couple of them looked a little rough but nothing obvious.

#32 9 years ago

Did you reflow solder over the ground areas where the screws attach?

#33 9 years ago

No I did not but when I take the board back off to re cap it I will. I initially thought it was a ground noise but never could find one.

#34 9 years ago

I was curious because I was wondering if that is what solved the issue. Always good to have a log here of what the solution was for others to use as reference. I usually sand down solder mask and solder over those areas to ensure good ground connections as they're usually nicely oxidized since they were never tinned.

#35 9 years ago

The boards are really clean but I will check them out as soon as I get new caps.

The Hum is still there it is just gotten a little better since reflowing the the pins. The board had been recapped at some point so they were not quite 30 years old but I would say they could stand to be replaced again anyways.

I will post for sure what solved the problem as I too use these boards for a reference

#36 9 years ago

Interested to know what you find. My Pin*Bot had a similar ground hum when I first got it home and no sound. After a few days of sitting it just started working. Only problem left was the speech goes out after 15 to 20 minutes and slowly becomes distorted as it fades. If you cut power off and back on speech comes back for another 15 to 20.

Also that hum from your video is in my High Speed when it first boots, but goes away once a game starts.

#37 9 years ago

The board had been recapped at some point so they were not quite 30 years old but I would say they could stand to be replaced again anyways.

There is a lot of other components that can be the culprit, so I would not be surprised if it wasn't solved after replacing the caps a second time around. ICs go bad. Resistors go bad. Signals can become offset, causing a change in the noise floor, etc.. If you were able to examine it with an ocilloscope you have a much better chance of being able track this down. If you don't have advanced audio troubleshooting skills or tools, you could be changing parts for a long time and get nowhere. Have you at least isolated the problem to one board? (example: you tried with another sound board or power supply board - and that solved the problem)

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

There is a lot of other components that can be the culprit, so I would not be surprised if it wasn't solved after replacing the caps a second time around. ICs go bad. Resistors go bad. Signals can become offset, causing a change in the noise floor, etc.. If you were able to examine it with an ocilloscope you have a much better chance of being able track this down. If you don't have advanced audio troubleshooting skills or tools, you could be changing parts for a long time and get nowhere. Have you at least isolated the problem to one board? (example: you tried with another sound board or power supply board - and that solved the problem)

I do not have another system 11 board set available to test. I also do not have an oscilloscope.

I am really just narrowing it down to the sound board since reflowing on that board made improvements to the sound.

3 weeks later
#39 9 years ago

At long last I got the Sound Board Recapped!!! and.... The problem has been completely solved. I wanted to make sure I posted back to help out anyone in the future who might run across this problem. Thanks guys for all of your help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-sound-issues-1?hl=mechulus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.