• Latest reply 2 years ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Is there someone that can burn and sell me the roms needed to allow Pinbot to reset Solar value every game so I can use it for tournament use? Thanks

#3 4 years ago

Try Ken's basement, or post your request directly in the pinbot topic.

#4 4 years ago

There's at least 3 versions of the pinbot rom. Personally I think the one that PAPA uses that caps the value at 100k is too low and completely removes any incentive to even try for the jackpot during multiball - an energy hit would be worth more, or even a slightly boosted upper left eject.

Look for the set that advances each value individually per player to burn instead. The set that's on ipdb from Francis lets you adjust some of the values but it still ends up building for all players (although it will reset at the start of each game) - but at least that one is easily located for any one burning them.

I thought Soren had done a set as well but I don't see any info on them, so maybe not. The individual set is under development right now and not available yet.

#5 4 years ago

Following, would love to see this ROM set available as well. PinBot is an amazing game but the jackpot building over time (while I'm sure great in an arcade environment and an incentive for people to play the game if the Solar Value was high) simply doesn't work well in a home use environment.

#6 4 years ago

yeah, the biggest bummer on a lot of system 11 games are the jackpots carrying over.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

yeah, the biggest bummer on a lot of system 11 games are the jackpots carrying over.

And lock stealing.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

And lock stealing.

i like this as a risk/reward to locking balls and if you blow it and dont start your multiball.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Almost all of that issue has been fixed in almost all system 11's.

Lock stealing is a meh issue for me - you choked on getting your multiball and your opponent capitalized on it. (Does pinbot do this? I know some games like Firepower eject a lock you didn't earn instead of just letting the opponent count that as a locked ball. It could probably be added to eject the non-earned ball depending on how the game keeps track of who locked what ball)

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Almost all of that issue has been fixed in almost all system 11's.
Lock stealing is a meh issue for me - you choked on getting your multiball and your opponent capitalized on it. (Does pinbot do this? I know some games like Firepower eject a lock you didn't earn instead of just letting the opponent count that as a locked ball. It could probably be added to eject the non-earned ball depending on how the game keeps track of who locked what ball)

Yes, pinbot does this.

#11 4 years ago

Lock stealing is awesome.

#12 4 years ago

I don't mind lock stealing, makes it a little more fun playing multiplayer games. The building jackpot though allows you to just play for a few hours, focus on shooting the ramp to build solar value and then cash it in for 6 or 7 million to nab the high score (yes I have done this! Guilty!). To me it would be better to have it start at a good amount, say 1 million, and then build by 100k for each ramp shot and then reset to 1 million for the next player or next game.

#13 4 years ago

If you search here they are available to download. Wart and others I believe will burn them to a set if you send them the image. If for some reason they can't be found PM me. I can dig them out of my email.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I don't mind lock stealing, makes it a little more fun playing multiplayer games. The building jackpot though allows you to just play for a few hours, focus on shooting the ramp to build solar value and then cash it in for 6 or 7 million to nab the high score (yes I have done this! Guilty!). To me it would be better to have it start at a good amount, say 1 million, and then build by 100k for each ramp shot and then reset to 1 million for the next player or next game.

That is a major flaw in pinbot in that there's not a cap on the jackpot. At least the later games capped it at 4 million or so.

The BEST way to do the rom is to make it extremely flexible in its setting ability, so that you can do anything you want. Want it static at 700k? Settings. Want it like you do, 1 million and add 100k each time? Settings.

None of this baloney where one rom caps it at 100k, another did 500k, someone else has one that is 100k but the advance is hacked to add 10k-990k each time. Lots of people about 10 years ago were fooling around with pinbot on a now defunct forum (pinhacks.com) with this rom trying their own twists on it.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The individual set is under development right now and not available yet.

I am interested to know who is doing this. I can modify System 7 game code and I would love to trade notes with somebody who understands System 11.

3 weeks later
#16 4 years ago

Current status of beta test rom....
<
pinbot-L-6-b7

tested in machine ==>test ok
no rom checksum ==>test ok
eliminated german text to make space ==>test ok
modified routine to not clobber $2d0-$2df ==>test ok

additional adjustments 53-65 added, ability to set ==>NEED ABILITY TO 'SKIP'
individual jackpots per player, set in adjustment ==>test ok
shared jackpot starting @minimum, set in adjustment ==>test ok
max jackpot checking ==>test ok
jackpot advancing via ramp ==>test ok
energy value min/max/reset implemented ==>test ok
jackpot value min/max/reset implemented ==>test ok
min/max values interact to prevent errors ==>needs test
alternate jackpot advance matrix individual ==>test ok
alternate jackpot advance matrix entire ==>test ok
alternate jackpot advance spiral ==>test ok
alternate jackpot advance energy ==>test ok
advance energy 2x during multiball ==>test ok
added yes/no option sanity checking ==>test ok
chest matrix one shot speed adjustment ==>test ok
added default values to some new adjustments ==>test ok

it should be possible to play the game as stock by not setting the tournament mode options

CLOSED BUGS:

factory reset values for energy, etc. incorrect in machine
==>FIXED. Corrected values added to data move, some were shifted/not wide enough

Energy value starts at zero when non-tournament mode set
==>FIXED. Ball start hook drops out if tournament mode not set before testing custom energy value

Going from tournament mode on to tournament mode off leaves jackpot as whatever it was - should reset as per stock.
==>FIXED. Added test to tournament mode on/off in new menu to specifically reset the jackpot to 100k per stock.
==================>

Testing is proceeding well, and new ideas coming occasionally. Best of all is that any of the options can be turned on or off as the end user desires. I imagine a lot of people would just like to have individual jackpot, same value. I like that the option is there to reset to a different, lower value - since if you have a static jackpot at say 1m, you can collect it multiple times during multiball. With the reset, even to a much lower value, gives other players a chance to catch up on their balls.

Some of the options if set 'oddly' can change the entire strategy on the game - for instance if you crank the advance energy way up you can get a really high value of it (capped at 990,000 as that is the max that the game will do and carry over ball to ball..... that gives me an idea for another option, reset energy each ball.... reset jackpot each ball..... the possibilities can be endless.)

How about a silly novelty mode where you get some arbitrary number of flips per ball. That could be interesting for a charity tournament.

Any other suggestions for options? I'm sure someone is going to say "ball saver"

1 month later
#17 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I'm sure someone is going to say "ball saver"

How about a ball saver? Seriously.

Any updates on this?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Any updates on this?

Still testing.... no major bugs so far, but I need to test some more esoteric combinations of "odd" options (that no one would probably never use).

Tempted to add a really hard mode where you can only open the visor in one hit from the SIDE targets. I don't see that one as being popular!

1 week later
#19 4 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that Papa most likely uses the variant of the rom that caps at 100k because say you use the one that's 750k jackpot - since you can collect multiple jackpots per multiball, each at 750k, that really blows away the intent of resetting it. Glad the option is now here for a 'reset to' value (for energy as well).

Can you imagine being in a match where player 1 collects an 8 million point jackpot and player 2 starts multiball and collects 5-6 100k jackpots?

Who played better? Score doesn't tell the entire story there.

#20 4 years ago

With chads rom the jackpot resets to its base value after its collected each time.

Link to his thread here, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-rom-jackpot-tweaked-to-perfection#post-224544

#21 4 years ago

Yup, another variant. I think it's because it's pretty straightforward for people just getting into modding roms to figure this one out. Mine already can emulate what his is doing by setting it to 300k, resets each game, and no limit with advance as stock... but could placate the detractor(s) in that thread who wanted the jackpot individual per player.

There's at least one more variant coming from yet another source in the next year or so. Don't know what his thoughts are for it yet, but probably be interesting.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Any updates on this?

Would also like to ball save on many system 11 games. My family would play them more.

4 months later
#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

How about a ball saver?

Hello everyone. As of yesterday evening I got a ball saver running on my PinBot. This is part of a home ROM I am working on, similar to the "Jungle Lord new tricks" ROM I released a few years ago. (Many thanks to slochar for providing the information I needed to go from System 7 to System 11 games!) I have also modified the way the Solar Value is handled and plan additional rule changes, including fairly mayor ones for the single eject. If everything goes according to plan (hah!) I may bring my game to Allentown for some thorough testing and feedback.

@arcademojo: With regards to other System 11 games, I think that for ball savers to look nice they have to be added on a game-by-game basis. PinBot was quite easy because the original game already contains a watchdog thread that monitors ball drains. In the future I intend to take on other games, but I would not hold my breath.

2 years later
#24 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Current status of beta test rom....
<
pinbot-L-6-b7
tested in machine ==>test ok
no rom checksum ==>test ok
eliminated german text to make space ==>test ok
modified routine to not clobber $2d0-$2df ==>test ok
additional adjustments 53-65 added, ability to set ==>NEED ABILITY TO 'SKIP'
individual jackpots per player, set in adjustment ==>test ok
shared jackpot starting @minimum, set in adjustment ==>test ok
max jackpot checking ==>test ok
jackpot advancing via ramp ==>test ok
energy value min/max/reset implemented ==>test ok
jackpot value min/max/reset implemented ==>test ok
min/max values interact to prevent errors ==>needs test
alternate jackpot advance matrix individual ==>test ok
alternate jackpot advance matrix entire ==>test ok
alternate jackpot advance spiral ==>test ok
alternate jackpot advance energy ==>test ok
advance energy 2x during multiball ==>test ok
added yes/no option sanity checking ==>test ok
chest matrix one shot speed adjustment ==>test ok
added default values to some new adjustments ==>test ok
it should be possible to play the game as stock by not setting the tournament mode options
CLOSED BUGS:
factory reset values for energy, etc. incorrect in machine
==>FIXED. Corrected values added to data move, some were shifted/not wide enough
Energy value starts at zero when non-tournament mode set
==>FIXED. Ball start hook drops out if tournament mode not set before testing custom energy value
Going from tournament mode on to tournament mode off leaves jackpot as whatever it was - should reset as per stock.
==>FIXED. Added test to tournament mode on/off in new menu to specifically reset the jackpot to 100k per stock.
==================>
Testing is proceeding well, and new ideas coming occasionally. Best of all is that any of the options can be turned on or off as the end user desires. I imagine a lot of people would just like to have individual jackpot, same value. I like that the option is there to reset to a different, lower value - since if you have a static jackpot at say 1m, you can collect it multiple times during multiball. With the reset, even to a much lower value, gives other players a chance to catch up on their balls.
Some of the options if set 'oddly' can change the entire strategy on the game - for instance if you crank the advance energy way up you can get a really high value of it (capped at 990,000 as that is the max that the game will do and carry over ball to ball..... that gives me an idea for another option, reset energy each ball.... reset jackpot each ball..... the possibilities can be endless.)
How about a silly novelty mode where you get some arbitrary number of flips per ball. That could be interesting for a charity tournament.
Any other suggestions for options? I'm sure someone is going to say "ball saver"

idealjoker slochar

Sorry to necro this post. These changes sound about exactly like what I'm currently looking for. PEM-BOT was unfortunately a bit too extreme for my nostalgic son

Was wondering if this rom was made available anywhere in particular, or if there is a way to disable the enhanced pem-bot features.. but I read something about the feature adjustments being removed to make more space for features?

Thank you-

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

a way to disable the enhanced pem-bot features

There is not. @slochar's ROM is ultra-configurable and ideal for those looking for a tournament ROM for Pin Bot.

#26 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#27 2 years ago

Actually, the only feature I removed for PEMBOT are the game audits. Changing the game rules removed the need for a few of the adjustments; all the adjustments that make sense with the modified rules are still there. And, of course, there are three new adjustments, for tournament rules, lock stealing and ball saver.

Also, I did not remove the German text...

#28 2 years ago

Entschuldigung, ich musste den deutschen Text entfernen

My bad

#29 2 years ago

How many new adjustments did you add? Those take a lot of space.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

There is not. slochar's ROM is ultra-configurable and ideal for those looking for a tournament ROM for Pin Bot.

Very cool thank you. All starts with fixing competition for jackpot.. and you all went so much further.

Incredible. thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-roms-for-tournament-play?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.