Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wolffcub
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Normally, the Solar Value in Pinbot starts at 100,000 and is incremented by 50,000 (can be set between 25,000 and 99,000 via adjustment 31) each time the ball goes up the ramp. The climbing Solar Value is carried over from game to game until someone finally collects it during multi-ball. This can cause a huge imbalance in scoring and makes tournament play difficult.

This modified version will make the initial Solar Value be 300,000 and each time you start a game it is re-initialized at 300,000 again. You can still increase the Solar Value during each ramp shot like normal as described above. But, the Solar Value is not carried from game to game. Note, if you start a 2-4 player game, the Solar Value is carried throughout those games.

Others have made a similar "fix" by removing the advancing Solar Value altogether and leaving the jackpot at 100,000 always. Doing it that way takes away the thrill of building up the Solar Value during the game and also leaves the Solar Value at a no-so-exciting score.

I feel my "fix" is the perfect balance between making the Solar Value something valuable to strive for, keeping the enjoyment of increasing it during gameplay, and preventing the outrageous imbalance it can cause if no one has collected it for a while when it is finally scored.

This modified ROM is based off code by Francis Gauthier but tweaked by me.

If anyone wants me to email them the ROM files, shoot me a private message. You will need to burn two ROMs (a 27128 and a 27256) to replace the existing U26 and U27.

Chad

#2 12 years ago

The reason the jackpot was fixed was for tournament play. It's unfair to build up a solar value just to have another player cash it in. This is for tournaments only though and I can see where you're coming from.

The factory way never bothered me much because I would pretty much collect solar value every game so it was always around 150,000 or so. Most of the points in Pin*Bot are in the skill shot anyway. My strategy was to keep locking balls to increase the vortex multiplier. Also important to stack extra balls so the multiplier carries over ball to ball.

#3 12 years ago

That is a cool change! However, its kinda sacreligious due to the current standards set by this game in both pinball tournaments and leagues!

Great idea for maybe home gameroom use ONLY.

-Aaron

#4 12 years ago

I don't get why this ROM mod would be bad for tournament. As long as you play a single player game, the scoring field is leveled each game. No one can cash in the previous player's jackpot. Should be perfect for a tournament. I see that this would be bad for a multiplayer game in a tournament situation though... as long as you keep it singleplayer, all is even.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I don't get why this ROM mod would be bad for tournament. As long as you play a single player game, the scoring field is leveled each game. No one can cash in the previous player's jackpot. Should be perfect for a tournament. I see that this would be bad for a multiplayer game in a tournament situation though... as long as you keep it singleplayer, all is even.

single player tournaments? Didn't even know such a thing exsisted. That's no fun.

2 months later
#6 11 years ago

When we get together to have a few games on Pinbot (novice to average skill levels) the solar value gets really high! It doesn't get hit very often but it turns out great for us. It's almost as if there's a side game on who's gonna get it eventually... I for one, love the feature just as it is.
The mod sounds cool for tournament play or if the guys get a bit serious about the scores...

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Palerider:

When we get together to have a few games on Pinbot (novice to average skill levels) the solar value gets really high! It doesn't get hit very often but it turns out great for us. It's almost as if there's a side game on who's gonna get it eventually... I for one, love the feature just as it is.
The mod sounds cool for tournament play or if the guys get a bit serious about the scores...

I got my all time high scores when this used to build for a long time. I can hit it quite a bit now, and don't really consider myself that great a player.

I'd expect with people interested enough to play in tournaments, the Solar Value shot would never get a chance to grow much. It actually makes it a *cool* thing for tournament play to me, because its a neat wildcard for the next player to get if someone misses it.

7 years later
#8 4 years ago

Having the jackpot build within that game only is best imo. Don’t want another player sniping your built up jackpot value? Then don’t choke. Same with lock stealing games. Give me all the lock stealing games.

Locking the jackpot value at 100k for all players makes this game one of the most boring games ever made.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Locking the jackpot value at 100k for all players makes this game one of the most boring games ever made.

Makes you never want to shoot the jackpot that's for sure. I'd rather go 2x energy value then if you have that really high you can get a million during 2x scoring.... but I'd probably do something 'safe' like try and get vortexes 2x instead.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Having the jackpot build within that game only is best imo. Don’t want another player sniping your built up jackpot value? Then don’t choke. Same with lock stealing games. Give me all the lock stealing games.

Think you are reading this wrong. It doesn't lock the jackpot. It still builds the jackpot with each ramp shot but resets it per "game". So if playing a 4 player game the jackpot will still build up through everyone's play. Other players can still steal the jackpot from each other. It just resets to 300,000 on next game not next player in same game.
Makes it more of a timed progressive jackpot. Think it evens out the scoring a bit.

""""This modified version will make the initial Solar Value be 300,000 and each time you start a game it is re-initialized at 300,000 again. You can still increase the Solar Value during each ramp shot like normal as described above. But, the Solar Value is not carried from game to game not next ball. Note, if you start a 2-4 player game, the Solar Value is carried throughout those games.
I feel my "fix" is the perfect balance between making the Solar Value something valuable to strive for, keeping the enjoyment of increasing it during gameplay, and preventing the outrageous imbalance it can cause if no one has collected it for a while when it is finally scored."""""

#11 4 years ago

Anyone happen to have these ROMS for sale? I don't have the ability to burn ROMs.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Think you are reading this wrong. It doesn't lock the jackpot. It still builds the jackpot with each ramp shot but resets it per "game". So if playing a 4 player game the jackpot will still build up through everyone's play. Other players can still steal the jackpot from each other. It just resets to 300,000 on next game not next player in same game.
Makes it more of a timed progressive jackpot. Think it evens out the scoring a bit.

This is exactly how I understand it. I think you misunderstood my post. Haha

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is exactly how I understand it. I think you misunderstood my post. Haha

Ahh, Yes you are correct. LOL. I was thinking to myself (why wouldn't anyone like this hack it's the best of both worlds)
I have the one that locked it at 100,000 and you are correct. It's no fun.

1 month later
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Anyone happen to have these ROMS for sale? I don't have the ability to burn ROMs.

Im wondering the exact same thing.

#15 4 years ago

hobbyroms.com

#16 4 years ago

Thank you very much

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-rom-jackpot-tweaked-to-perfection?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.