Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ChadH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

One of the things that bugs me about Pinbot (and some other games like High Speed) is the growing jackpot that grows between games and whoever gets the jackpot can really score big since they collect the big points and then the jackpot is reset. It really isn't fair and ruins any tournament play.

Has anyone tried this Pinbot ROM hack?

I did not author this but check this out from Francis over at pinhacks.com:
http://pinhacks.com/showthread.php?tid=86

This hack will...

Make the solar initial value 500 000, and each time you start a game, its initialized at 500 000 again. (no solar value carried from game to game) If you start a 4 player game, the solar value is carried tough

Make the solar value advance setting, more big. Ex, in the original rom the advance setting is from 1 000 to 99 000. I change it so the change you made is now from 10 000 to 990 000. The factory setting I put is 250 000.

#2 7 years ago

I installed this on my Pinbot and I like it. No more unbalanced jackpot! Instead now you build up your own jackpot and all is fair as it resets every game.

#3 7 years ago

Sounds cool. Pin Bot is a game that I would like to add to my collection at some point. Is there a link to the hacked ROM file somewhere so I can download it?

#4 7 years ago

That is indeed an excellent idea. I scored a five million one the other day during our tournament and insisted 4M be taken off

#5 7 years ago

I spent some time on the hacked Pinbot ROM and I have tweaked it to perfection.

Normally, the Solar Value starts at 100,000 and is incremented by 50,000 (can be set between 25,000 and 99,000 via adjustment 31) each time the ball goes up the ramp. The climbing Solar Value is carried over from game to game until someone finally collects it during multi-ball. This can cause a huge imbalance in scoring and makes tournament play difficult.

This modified version will make the initial Solar Value be 300,000 and each time you start a game it is re-initialized at 300,000 again. You can still increase the Solar Value during each ramp shot like normal as described above. But, the Solar Value is not carried from game to game. Note, if you start a 2-4 player game, the Solar Value is carried throughout those games.

I feel this is the perfect balance between making the Solar Value something valuable to still strive for while preventing the outrageous imbalance it can cause if no one has collected it for a while when it is finally scored.

This modified ROM is based off code by Francis Gauthier but tweaked by me.

If anyone wants me to email them the ROM files, shoot me a private message. You will need to burn two ROMs (a 27128 and a 27256) to replace the existing U26 and U27.

Chad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Williamsburg, KY
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sudbury, MA
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside