New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 60495)

Pinbot Restoration - Whridlsoncestood 11/20/13

By Whridlsoncestood

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinballerchef
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pbotplaf06.jpg
Pinbot.jpg
image-253.jpg
image-454.jpg
image-314.jpg
image-823.jpg
image-971.jpg
image.jpg
pinbot bit.jpg
image-318.jpg
image-920.jpg
image-786.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_8295.JPG
IMG_8291.JPG
IMG_8287.JPG

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago

Looking great!

#102 6 years ago

All wrapped up!image-535.jpgimage-593.jpg

#103 6 years ago

Couple before and after quick shots

125287-i.jpg
IMG_8285.JPG
125297-i.jpg
IMG_8286.JPG
125301-i.jpg
IMG_8287.JPG
125302-i.jpg
IMG_8289.JPG
125304-i.jpg
IMG_8291.JPG
IMG_8295.JPG

#104 6 years ago

Freakin' gorgeous!! My wife didn't even know the PF was gone and out to you for restore (she doesn't play much) and when I told her she didnt understand what needed to be done...untIl I showed her these before and after pics. And she was amazed at the work done here....thanks man

#105 6 years ago

F A N T A S T I C !! ....What's your NEXT project??

#106 6 years ago

Gorgeous work.
-mof

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

F A N T A S T I C !! ....What's your NEXT project??

MB and T2 playfield touchups. Nothing major on those. Quicker I get those out the door the quicker I can go full on with my recent taxi acquisition.

-Jim

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from zoggynog:

Amazing work!
When you are touching up planking are you hitting it with color and then using a thick clearcoat to smooth it out or do you do any "filler" before?
Also, have any airbrush/compressor recommends?

Fill the planking in with color match and wipe excess just leaving paint in the planking cracks. Shooting a coat of clear usually fills in planking just need to sand a bit between coats to keep it all level. If its real bad you could drip clear into it before spraying the whole thing.

I'm using a harbor freight airbrush/compressor setup. Works fine for me. If you already have a good compressor for other things you can use that just add a moisture separator maybe.

-Jim

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Freakin' gorgeous!! My wife didn't even know the PF was gone and out to you for restore (she doesn't play much) and when I told her she didnt understand what needed to be done...untIl I showed her these before and after pics. And she was amazed at the work done here....thanks man

Happy to please your wife as well. That's the hard part. Hope to get some games in on this next weekend.

-Jim

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Happy to please your wife as well. That's the hard part.

Jim! I thought you just did pinball restoration!

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I was waiting to see who would be the first to make that comment. I should of knew it was going to be you Ted

#112 6 years ago

I try not to disappoint.

#113 6 years ago

So, out of curiosity. What does this type of service cost?

Something on this level for instance.

Great work!
CHris

#114 6 years ago

Great work as always, Jim! It's fun to watch the master at work.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hey hey hey......HEY NOW!!!!! I guess somebody was gonna go there....why not you right

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

So, out of curiosity. What does this type of service cost?
Something on this level for instance.
Great work!
CHris

I will PM you.

Quoted from Craig:

Great work as always, Jim! It's fun to watch the master at work.

Thanks Craig. Keep a late spring spot open for your Totan too!

#117 6 years ago

Keep a late spring spot open for your Totan too!

Thanks! Every time I see it, I imagine what it will look like after you give it your magic touch! So glad I have the chance to know you and benefit from your many skills.

#118 6 years ago

wow came out nice, congrats, great skills!

#119 6 years ago

Completely amazing! Someday perhaps my skills, time and ambition will align to do my T2 like that.

#120 6 years ago

Thanks. Check out my next thread here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buyselltrade-in-connecticut

T2 is in the works. It was on the rotisserie for a few minutes tonight. I will update it once we can upload pictures again.

-Jim

1 week later
#121 6 years ago

Pinballerchef chef came by Sunday with his cabinet. Popped the playfield in and tested and tweaked for about an hour. Played it for a bit and then he headed back onto the road. Mission accomplished.

-Jimimage-318.jpgimage.jpgimage-920.jpgimage-786.jpg

#122 6 years ago

Wow! That game looks fantastic! Nice work!

#124 6 years ago

Hell i need one of these also,
pinbot bit.jpg

#125 6 years ago

Awesome work on the Pinbot resto,

just ordered that piece above from shapeways, thanks Wolfmarsh

#126 6 years ago

Part worked perfectly and flawlessly in this game. Glad its back out there to get all those pinbots back in action

-Jim

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Awesome work on the Pinbot resto,
just ordered that piece above from shapeways, thanks Wolfmarsh

Awesome, I'm really glad it's helping some people!!

I've added no markup to the price Shapeways charges, so hopefully if their processes ever cost less, the price will drop.

Also a side note, the side mounting holes where those metal brackets are probably need to have a drill bit run through them first. I sized them real small so you could adjust as necessary.

#128 6 years ago

Pinballerchef chef came by Sunday with his cabinet. Popped the playfield in and tested and tweaked for about an hour. Played it for a bit and then he headed back onto the road. Mission accomplished.
-Jim

image.jpg 204 KB

image-786.jpg 248 KB

image-920.jpg 238 KB

image-318.jpg 213 KB

Am I imagining it, or are the score displays on the left of the machine blue? How did you do that?

#129 6 years ago

They are. XPIN displays. Blue in left and red on right.

-Jim

#130 6 years ago

Looks absolutely great.

Hope to get my hands on a pinbot some day as well.

#131 6 years ago

WHRID is down playing the time he spent tweaking PINBOT....easily double that but he wouldn't let me leave until it was 100% working. He fixed switches, cleaned an assembly, soldered detached wires, replaced blown fuses, helped me get the XPIN displays in and even hooked me up with LEDs in the BB. Every issue was taken care of without hesitation....he was very good at trouble shooting and correcting the mechanical/electrical bugs that arose. My PF and PINBOT is looking and playing beautifully...loving it!! I finally got it set up and in its home....PINBOT is very happyimage-314.jpgimage-823.jpgimage-971.jpgimage.jpg

And here are some nostalgia pics of his first baby.....which I own as well.image-253.jpgimage-454.jpg

I owe a big THANK YOU to wolfmarsh for making that visor bracket happen....so THANKS MAN!!! I owe you one...someway, somehow

I know I don't have pics of the whole trip...me in my car, me at the rest stop bathroom, me sitting on a deer that got creamed in the middle of the road, me kissing my PINBOT or even of me and WHRID hugging like many pinsiders would....I like to keep it simple....sorry pinsider voyeurs! I did learn to never drive anywhere long distance the Sunday after thanksgiving (my 4 1/2 hour road trip back turned into a 7 hour crawl)....but hey....all in the name of pinball!

Thanks Jim....you are one skilled M-effer....good guy all around

#132 6 years ago

Love this stuff! Looks great!

#133 6 years ago

Thanks Sean. Glad your happy with it. You did go crazy with those LEDs in Hulk. You sure do love them a little more than me

#134 6 years ago

You sure do love them a little more than me

True story.

#135 6 years ago

Spectacular work Whridlsoncestood!!! I love your threads.

#136 6 years ago

I like your color score and rule cards. Where did you get them? I'd like a set for my pinbot.

Thanks!

#137 6 years ago

That thing is beautiful.

The only thing I would suggest is to put a washer under that first post next to the helmet. If you do that, you can really tighten it down without it sinking into the playfield and loosening up over time. That post takes a beating.

Pinbot.jpg

2 months later
#138 6 years ago

Decals made and ready

IMG_8034.JPG 178 KB

Sorry, I know this thread is older. Do you mind sharing tips on how you found the font and laid this text out? I need to make the LOCK EYEBALLS set myself.

Dan

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Do you mind sharing tips on how you found the font n

This works pretty well - http://www.identifont.com/ On the left side you can answer a series of questions to find the right one.

#140 6 years ago

Nice, thanks. I remembered vid1900 mentioning whatthefont in one of his postings. I tried submitting a picture of LOCK EYEBALLS to that, but it was fuzzy and didn't work. That was why I posted the question.

Then after posting I got to thinking about it, and I realized Pinbot probably used the same font for the whole game. So I went out to CPR's site, did a bit of cropping and rotating, and viola.

pbotplaf06.jpg

whatthefont was able to identify that straight-away. So I guess the key is to have a really good source photo and no fuzziness at all.

#141 6 years ago

Annnnd Favorited...Awesome work !

#142 6 years ago

I scanned the playfield where the text I wanted was. Put it into photoshop and adjusted the levels where only the black text was left and then just cleaned it up a bit and was done. No Needto try to size it perfectly or get the right curve to the text or trying to find a close enough font.

Good luck!

-Jim

4 years later
#143 2 years ago

I need one of these! Mine is broke Do you have the stl file to share?

Added over 3 years ago: or a non-broken link to the shapeways part? The link doesn't seem to be valid anymore and a search on their site yields no results.

#144 2 years ago

Can you pm me a price to restore a pinbot?

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

I need one of these! Mine is broke Do you have the stl file to share?
Added 2 days ago: or a non-broken link to the shapeways part? The link doesn't seem to be valid anymore and a search on their site yields no results.

Sorry I just saw your message. Maybe wolfmarsh has the link? He made the 3D scam for me.

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from Sstengel1:

Can you pm me a price to restore a pinbot?

Gotta restore the one I just bought for myself first

#147 2 years ago

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to see this.

I just now uploaded the file to thingiverse so you could download it if you need.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2809317

Also here is the latest shapeways link if someone needs them to print it for you: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZBV2NZAFQ/pinbot-part

I don't make any money off the shapeways print, its price is whatever they charge you for the print.

#148 2 years ago

wolfmarsh have these parts made it over to the pinbot club thread?
-mof

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

wolfmarsh have these parts made it over to the pinbot club thread?
-mof

I posted the link over there. I will also post mine once i have a minute.

#150 2 years ago

Gotta restore the one I just bought for myself first

It's about time

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mullica Hill, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside