IMG_4037 (resized).JPG
IMG_4271 (resized).JPG
IMG_6583 (resized).JPG
IMG_6587 (resized).JPG
IMG_6348 (resized).JPG
IMG_6204 (resized).JPG
IMG_6199 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cosmokramer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

This is going to look great when your done. Thanks for documenting...

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago

Great progress. As you pointed out those hollow areas behind the first layer of veneer look just like the issue I had. I wonder how many games have those voids.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I'M reading everywhere that cabinet ground braid should be 1/4" wide but mine was 3/16". I bought 1/4" but wondering if I'll change for 3/16" like the original. It's like $7 difference for a 50' roll.
Also, I do not feel like buying a long nose stapler for this. I'm tempted to do it with a regular heavy duty hand stapler.

I tried doing it with a manual stapler and it didnt work...had to borrow an upholstry stapler, you dont need the long nose model for cabinet braid. You only need the long nose one for under playfield ground...

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Why did it not work?

I could not get the staples anywhere near flush with a hand stapler. Perhaps there is a stronger hand stapler than the one I attempted to use.

#26 7 years ago

Did the manual stapler work? I saw a guy using one today on some boat vinyl and it looked like it was sinking it flush into the marine plywood.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Hey Cosmokramer, I was reviewing your thread, you mention it's because you did not let dry long enough that the paint started to stretch between the cab and the stencil?
I thought it was the inverse.

After looking at your photos I think the mistake we both made was spraying the coats too thick...from what I understand if you remove the stencils too early the paint will stretch and have strings of paint fly around (our issue) and if it stays on too long it tears the paint upon removal...overall you did a nice job and I have found from doing mine that the imperfections that look so noticeable now will be all but invisible when the project is complete.

#33 7 years ago

Next time I am going to flash a bit of light colored primer just before spraying stencil color, should get better color without having to spray it so thick.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Some more progress made last week. I did the yellow second stencil on the head following instruction from Cosmokramer and Jeff from Pinball Pimp.
Actually, I see Jeff did not recommend applying even a very light coat of primer as a base before doing stencil colors. He was right. The edges came out great this time but the paint did not adhere perfectly on the edge and separated from the primer. See pictures. I'm going to touch up with a brush no worries. The clear should protect everything nicely.

Otherwise, it's looking freaking sweet.

I'm also spending some time painting and hand polishing a bunch of other parts.

Spraying a bit of primer first was recommended to me in my thread by other pinsiders, I am surprised the paint peeled from the primer. A bit of touch up and some clear for protection and it will look great. Nice job on the parts cleaning as well, looking forward to seeing the completed machine?

1 month later
#43 7 years ago

Wow that really looks great. I wish I would have paid as much attention to detail as you have done.

11 months later
#174 6 years ago

Absolutely stunning job and amazing attention to detail. You really should be proud of the hard work you put in, it shows in the end result. Thanks for taking the time to document the process, I picked up quite a few tips from reading along.
I hope you document the FT restoration as in depth as you did the Pinbot.

Well done!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cosmokramer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-restoration-underway?tu=cosmokramer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.