IMG_4037 (resized).JPG
IMG_4271 (resized).JPG
IMG_6583 (resized).JPG
IMG_6587 (resized).JPG
IMG_6348 (resized).JPG
IMG_6204 (resized).JPG
IMG_6199 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464 (resized).JPG
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

Been able to spend some time working on it today and yesterday.

Finished up the pops. Had to remove the switch stacks to make some room for my air stapler. Did not need a long nose and was able to staple like I wanted. Neat.

IMG_6276 (resized).JPGIMG_6276 (resized).JPG
IMG_6280 (resized).JPGIMG_6280 (resized).JPG
IMG_6279 (resized).JPGIMG_6279 (resized).JPG
IMG_6278 (resized).JPGIMG_6278 (resized).JPG
IMG_6277 (resized).JPGIMG_6277 (resized).JPG

Also cleaned up and install the stand up targets. I'll need new foam pads but they look good after some polishing. Had to resolder some of the daisy chain wires that had break loose.
IMG_6282 (resized).JPGIMG_6282 (resized).JPG

Also solder my flipper coils and new EOS switches back. My soldering skills have gone from noob to beginner. I feel confident now.
IMG_6284 (resized).JPGIMG_6284 (resized).JPG

Also worked on the left side posts and installed the rails.
IMG_6281 (resized).JPGIMG_6281 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#152 6 years ago

Few more late nights this week and I'm almost done. All star posts on, all rubbers (I'm trying Titan silicon rubber on the slingshot), Comet lights are on both top side (2smd white sunlight frosted) and inserts (1smd color matching non-ghosting frosted) Also went with LED flashers in amber and yellow for the pops and sun (giving this a try) . Regular bulbs for the domes and 1251.

IMG_6332 (resized).JPGIMG_6332 (resized).JPG
IMG_6327 (resized).JPGIMG_6327 (resized).JPG
IMG_6330 (resized).JPGIMG_6330 (resized).JPG

The lift ramp needed some adjusting but it's all good now.

Feels good to install new plastic starting with the visor. I did not forget clear lexan washer for protection.
IMG_6341 (resized).JPGIMG_6341 (resized).JPG
IMG_6331 (resized).JPGIMG_6331 (resized).JPG

I'm also done with all the mechs on the underside including the target bank on the chest. New hole scoops, new wrappers.
IMG_6333 (resized).JPGIMG_6333 (resized).JPG
IMG_6334 (resized).JPGIMG_6334 (resized).JPG
IMG_6335 (resized).JPGIMG_6335 (resized).JPG

All I'm missing is the vortex and blue ramp and mini playfield, then it's the plastics. I should be able to plug the game for testing before I put it back in the cabinet and final plastics assembly.

And can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

IMG_6337 (resized).JPGIMG_6337 (resized).JPG

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Few more late nights this week and I'm almost done. All star posts on, all rubbers (I'm trying Titan silicon rubber on the slingshot), Comet lights are on both top side (2smd white sunlight frosted) and inserts (1smd color matching non-ghosting frosted) Also went with LED flashers in amber and yellow for the pops and sun (giving this a try) . Regular bulbs for the domes and 1251.

I'm curious about your experience with the LED flashers. I only use Comet bulbs and know their stuff is great.

Quoted from Plumonium:

Feels good to install new plastic starting with the visor. I did not forget clear lexan washer for protection.

I put in a full plastic protector set for piece of mind. Staying tuned about the washer performance.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I put in a full plastic protector set for piece of mind. Staying tuned about the washer performance.

I know the visor mask takes a beating. But the machine won't be played as much in a home environment, we'll see. On my previous plastic, the corners were broken so that I'm covered, but the eyes in the plastic were also cracked I think.

Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I'm curious about your experience with the LED flashers. I only use Comet bulbs and know their stuff is great.

I will, really its a try. The regular bulbs draw a lot of amps and I had fuses burning in the past, that should help. Will get more light as well from these 9smd. Just need to find the warming capacitor and remove them since they are not needed for LED.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I know the visor mask takes a beating. But the machine won't be played as much in a home environment, we'll see. On my previous plastic, the corners were broken so that I'm covered, but the eyes in the plastic were also cracked I think.

I will, really its a try. The regular bulbs draw a lot of amps and I had fuses burning in the past, that should help. Will get more light as well from these 9smd. Just need to find the warming capacitor and remove them since they are not needed for LED.

This thing is looking nice. I'm going through a pinbot right now too. Not as nice obviously as yours but it will be a super clean machine when I'm done.

I am torn on LED flashers myself. They are more practical in the areas you spoke of but they almost blind me to the point of a headache during gameplay lol. I'm still putting them throughout the pinbot im doing though. Why not right lol

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

They are more practical in the areas you spoke of but they almost blind me to the point of a headache during gameplay lol.

Hehe, good thing though I can always remove some if they are too bright and adjust their positioning.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Hehe, good thing though I can always remove some if they are too bright and adjust their positioning.

Don't get me wrong. I am going all in with the comet LED flashers on this one. I have done several this way and they always stand out in the crowd!

#158 6 years ago

I changed out the orange domes for red and blue and used corresponding colored LED flashers and I find it easier on the eyes then the original incandescent flashers. The only place I kept regular flashers is the 1251s and in the topper. The light shower after a game in the back box is a little stronger with LEDs but it looks too good to pass up. I can see white LED flashers being harsh in the playfield but colored ones are a real improvement.

#159 6 years ago

Some more progress. I was not as close to the finish line as I thought Especially when you want everything near perfect.

Lane guides were all mashed up. New ones from Cliffy, enhanced version.
IMG_6344 (resized).JPGIMG_6344 (resized).JPG
IMG_6345 (resized).JPGIMG_6345 (resized).JPG

New plastics, new colored domes. I installed them with smalls screws as I don't have a rivet press. Looks good.
IMG_6349 (resized).JPGIMG_6349 (resized).JPG
IMG_6354 (resized).JPGIMG_6354 (resized).JPG

All screws from top side gets polished before going back on. Common screws are all new and polished as well.
IMG_6355 (resized).JPGIMG_6355 (resized).JPG

Had some trouble figuring this plastic/posts/gate combination. Looked online and many seem to have a diferent setup depending on what post they have. The post with a washer seems to differ from build to build. I went this way. I like to have a tiny washer over plastic to avoid eating through the opening.
IMG_6353 (resized).JPGIMG_6353 (resized).JPG

I had a hand-made replacement for the big blue plastic, this one is fresh and looks very good to me. as other vulnerable spot, protected with clear lexan washers.
IMG_6351 (resized).JPGIMG_6351 (resized).JPG
IMG_6352 (resized).JPGIMG_6352 (resized).JPG

New vortex, new decals. Looking clean and looking good.
IMG_6362 (resized).JPGIMG_6362 (resized).JPG
IMG_6348 (resized).JPGIMG_6348 (resized).JPG

#160 6 years ago

Damn it's beautiful, look how perfectly uniform the reflection of the overhead light is. The playfield is like glass. I see you went with the LED rings in the pops, I have them in my Phantom and they look great I'll have to grab a set for my Pinbot. I would consider Titan rubber but it does look good with white, just regular white seem to never stay white.

#161 6 years ago

You are doing incredible work. Great attention to detail and documentation. You should be really proud of yourself.

#162 6 years ago

Agreed. Very nice project. Thx for documenting in detail!

#163 6 years ago

So nice for you guys to say, thanks! I promised myself to do it right and to document as much as possible. I would never undertake a pinball restoration if it wasn't to all those resourceful threads.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I see you went with the LED rings in the pops

I originally had them in my Diner when I bought it but they made no sense. I think they look sci-fi so I'm trying them on Pinbot. We'll see.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I think they look sci-fi so I'm trying them on Pinbot. We'll see.

I'm generally not a fan of those LED pop rings, but since the bagatelle mini playfield sits over them, it might give the game a cool look. Great job on your project!

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm generally not a fan of those LED pop rings

Oh I agree. I usually run single SMD no dome on my pops. But I figured I would give them a try.

And yes, if they weren't underneath the mini playfield, it would be probably be a no go. But it might actually give a nice effect.

#167 6 years ago

I like the the sound activated rings, the pops on my PotO are kinda stagnate as they just stay lit with the GI. It spiced it up a little. You don't really need that on a Pinbot with the flashers.

#168 6 years ago

One more thing about those rings, there is a screw to adjust the brightness so you don't have to over do it. They throw a lot of light both up and down already.

1 week later
#169 6 years ago

Spend some more time wrapping up the playfield before I plug it back.

I forgot about the little plastic on top of the drop-down targets. So I installed it back.

I don't like using new screws for stuff hidden at the back so I swapped some with my White Water. Basically taking very visible old screws and putting new ones there. Then polishing the old ones and using them instead. Same technique used before borrowed from many well known restorers.
IMG_6485 (resized).JPGIMG_6485 (resized).JPG
IMG_6487 (resized).JPGIMG_6487 (resized).JPG

I cleaned up the underside putting about 20-25 additional zip-tie. Might as well do that while the game is on the rottiserie.
IMG_6475 (resized).JPGIMG_6475 (resized).JPG
IMG_6474 (resized).JPGIMG_6474 (resized).JPG
IMG_6473 (resized).JPGIMG_6473 (resized).JPG

To prepare to install the back board, I first had to install the back rail and in order to do that I first had to take the playfiled off the rottiserie. I was carefull placing it on the side. I could have it lay on the tip of the vortex. I installed the rail, the posts which I did not remember which one goes where and the red plastic in the corner.

About the red plastic, I first tried to install my new repro one but did not fit very well. I ended up putting the original one back on, it's in perfect condition anyway and so far from the eyes, probably impossible to see...

IMG_6471 (resized).JPGIMG_6471 (resized).JPG
IMG_6477 (resized).JPGIMG_6477 (resized).JPG
IMG_6472 (resized).JPGIMG_6472 (resized).JPG
IMG_6478 (resized).JPGIMG_6478 (resized).JPG

The playfield made its way back next to my cabinet and I will hook it up this week-end as I should have free time on Sunday. (knocking on wood, toc toc.) Shop feels empty, kinda.

IMG_6488 (resized).JPGIMG_6488 (resized).JPG
IMG_6489 (resized).JPGIMG_6489 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#170 6 years ago

Almost wrapped up my game tonight. I'll come back for details and more picture. Got to go to sleep. It's work tomorrow, can't have fun all night long.

A sneak peek to sum it up. I can't stop smiling. I cannot wait to play my first game in 15 months.
IMG_6505.JPGIMG_6505.JPG
IMG_6509.JPGIMG_6509.JPG
IMG_6517.JPGIMG_6517.JPG
IMG_6522.JPGIMG_6522.JPG

#171 6 years ago

The best feeling! Congrats!

#172 6 years ago

Looks awesome! Well Done!

#174 6 years ago

Absolutely stunning job and amazing attention to detail. You really should be proud of the hard work you put in, it shows in the end result. Thanks for taking the time to document the process, I picked up quite a few tips from reading along.
I hope you document the FT restoration as in depth as you did the Pinbot.

Well done!

#175 6 years ago

Beautiful job, it would be a jewel in any collection.

#176 6 years ago

Wow, It has been a while since I checked in on this thread and you have done a really, really nice job! I don't have the talent to touch up the playfield as you did. I opted for a CPR playfield for mine and have been working on my complete PinBot restore for almost 2 years. Funny thing is I just finished mine up yesterday too. I went all LEDs and it really makes the machine pop. I really like your idea of changing out the amber domes to the red and Blue and may have to steal your idea lol. You can steal my idea of changing the left flipper silicone band to blue......(if you want....haha)

I have yet to play mine though as I was fixing all of the issues I found after my restore and was adjusting the visor motor and broke off the open switch leaf and had to order a new one.

I have also used that SprayMax 2K clear on a few of my playfields and I really like that stuff, definitely need a mask to shoot that stuff.

Anyway fantastic job and enjoy it.

#177 6 years ago

Wow, great job man, great job! I remember the first time I saw this game in arcade, it was brand new, and loud, and awesome to watch and play. It's so fun.

1 week later
#178 6 years ago

So, I wrapped up my Pinbot project today. I put the glass on. It's done. Played my first few games after solving a few issues. I feel empty but happy. The anxiety of taking something perfectly working and putting in into thousand of pieces without knowing the final outcome is gone. I meet my expectations and saw the project through. Here's a recap of the finals steps.

Put my game back on without the back board was not a good idea. It's been a pain to be able to screw it back...

When I first turned on the game. GI fuses blew up and no playfield GI was working. I found a misplaced wire.

Then at game start the ramp would act up. During the restoration a wire broke of from the visor motor and I put in back on the wrong way, causing issue. Thanks to fellow Pinsiders helping me out on this one as well.

I also have a missing segment on all digits for both my player 1-2 displays. I still need to sort it out but not a deal breaker. I need to get myself a logic probe.

The game plays super well, did not required much adjusting except a few switch. The vortex skill shot works great. Blue is the perfect spring as a full plunge will get to the top without destroying it.

New and clean mechs works well. My slingshots are powerful as hell as my pop bumpers. New rubbers makes the game feel different. The scoop holes catch the ball very well. New return lanes from Cliffy are precise and fast. The game is tight.

I love the 2SMD sunlight GI, bright but not blinding and sterile like cool white. Love them.

Here are some more final pictures, some before and after. If anyone ever wants pictures of Pinbot for any reason, I took 1044 photos of the game throughout, just ask.

Cheers guys. Thanks for following and see you on the next project thread

Before:
IMG_3203 (resized).JPGIMG_3203 (resized).JPG
IMG_3110 (resized).JPGIMG_3110 (resized).JPG
IMG_3221 (resized).JPGIMG_3221 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_3741 (resized).JPGIMG_3741 (resized).JPG
IMG_3679 (resized).JPGIMG_3679 (resized).JPG
IMG_4270 (resized).JPGIMG_4270 (resized).JPG
IMG_4271 (resized).JPGIMG_4271 (resized).JPG

Before:
IMG_3551 (resized).JPGIMG_3551 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_3574 (resized).JPGIMG_3574 (resized).JPG

Before:
IMG_4021 (resized).JPGIMG_4021 (resized).JPG
IMG_4035 (resized).JPGIMG_4035 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_4027 (resized).JPGIMG_4027 (resized).JPG
IMG_4037 (resized).JPGIMG_4037 (resized).JPG

Before:
IMG_3752 (resized).JPGIMG_3752 (resized).JPG
IMG_4397 (resized).JPGIMG_4397 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464 (resized).JPGIMG_4464 (resized).JPG
IMG_4461 (resized).JPGIMG_4461 (resized).JPG
IMG_4459 (resized).JPGIMG_4459 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_6348 (resized).JPGIMG_6348 (resized).JPG
IMG_6204 (resized).JPGIMG_6204 (resized).JPG
IMG_6199 (resized).JPGIMG_6199 (resized).JPG
IMG_6194 (resized).JPGIMG_6194 (resized).JPG
IMG_6519 (resized).JPGIMG_6519 (resized).JPG
IMG_6518 (resized).JPGIMG_6518 (resized).JPG
IMG_6594 (resized).JPGIMG_6594 (resized).JPG
IMG_6584 (resized).JPGIMG_6584 (resized).JPG
IMG_6589 (resized).JPGIMG_6589 (resized).JPG
IMG_6590 (resized).JPGIMG_6590 (resized).JPG
IMG_6596 (resized).JPGIMG_6596 (resized).JPG
IMG_6587 (resized).JPGIMG_6587 (resized).JPG
IMG_6583 (resized).JPGIMG_6583 (resized).JPG

#180 6 years ago

Holey friggin' moley!

Beauty, beauty work.

Awesome, helpful thread.

#181 6 years ago

Excellent work & nice touch with the before & after photos.

#182 6 years ago

Sweet

#183 6 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! Can you tell us how you lit up the blue ramp?

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Wow! Beautiful! Can you tell us how you lit up the blue ramp?

Thanks. It a led strip that goes around the whole way, inside the ramp on the front side.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

So, I wrapped up my Pinbot project today. I put the glass on. It's done.

I just found this thread while reading about SprayMax 2k... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club/page/8#post-3862536

Congratulations on a job well done!! Thank you for the documentation. There can never be enough restoration threads. They give everyone encouragement to do their own.

#186 6 years ago

Damn dude...I don't even care for the original pinbot but this looks amazing!!!

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Damn dude...I don't even care for the original pinbot but this looks amazing!!!

Thanks!

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

So, I wrapped up my Pinbot project today. I put the glass on. It's done.

Wow this machine looks great for a "beginner", I think you were bending the truth there.

I hope the SBM I'm working on, much similar work turns out even close to how nice your Pinbot machine turned out.

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Wow this machine looks great for a "beginner", I think you were bending the truth there.

Not at all. I was a noob. But in this era of DIY, with good instructions and little patience, everyone can achieve great things.

Good luck on your SBM project and I'm sure it will make you proud!

1 month later
#190 6 years ago

Beautiful game!

#191 6 years ago

Thanks man!

#192 6 years ago

Awesome work what a beautiful job!

1 week later
#193 6 years ago

very nice job, the end result is incredible.

#194 6 years ago

That machine in that quality is on my bucket list!Awesome!

#195 6 years ago

Thank you guys!

6 years later
#196 30 days ago

I know this was 9 years ago but this is beautiful and I'm super jealous.

#197 30 days ago

So if anyone has an answer I haven't found, my Pinbot the 5x5 lights in the middle of the board about half of them look scratched and just not good looking when the game is off. When they light up they look perfect but I was wondering if there's an easy way to restore or replace them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-restoration-underway/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.